Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should we stop buying MMORPGs, and just wait til they go F2P?

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Check out this article : http://www.examiner.com/article/don-t-buy-that-wait-the-smart-guide-to-mmorpgs

It claims that most MMORPGS being released now, have a short fuse til they just become free anyways, and you lose out on your box purchase, and subs.

I tend to agree, it seems like P2P is basiclly dead, companies are making more off Freemium.

What say you?

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Depends on the game and really not feasible.  People like to game and when a new title comes around people will try it.  Thats like saying we shouldn't buy fresh games like Dishonored or Bioshock Infinate until they go half prices. 

And if people do this this will only hurt and pretty much destroy the industry.  If you want pisspoor mediocere MMOs then go ahead with this.  And F2P can be the death spell of MMOs and being on lifesupport.

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

However BioShock doesn't require a subscription to play, and it has a definitive conclusions.

In the world of P2P MMORPGS, if you buy a box ~ 60 bucks, and sub for a year (11 months paid, 1 month free) That is 165 bucks @ 15 dollars a month + box costs of an average 60 bucks, so 225 dollars to play the game for a year.

If on the game's launch anniversy it goes Free to Play, then you lost EVERYTHING you invested, as a new player can spend the treshold amount, and have basiclly the same account status as you, minus the progression you made.

You are comparing apples to waffles.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

I think it depends on the games yes. Some games are definately worth it. It basically comes down to how much you respect your money. Are you willing to pay for a game that has shitload of complains *looks at defiance/DFUW* or you rather wait up and find something else to fill up your time. But yeah there are some high quality games that worth supporting and I gladdly do support their developers

P.S: I'm strongly against half-baked games (which come out recently which is pitty) and I never pay for them nor I ever will. If you push a game to meet a deadline ... fuck you. If you push a game to make some quick cash ... fuck you too, im not giving you a penny of my hard worked dollars. I hope more people start doing like me so the developers take a notice. 

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

50 000 000 players playing gw2 and noone pays a dime,what would happen ?

they need to add more servers and hire more staff and ? add subs.

so stop buying f2p mmos and just wait til they go p2p.

ah imagine that scam free cash shop free and f2p crowd free future.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I don't pay sub fees.

And anyone who pays for a lifetime subscription (200+ USD) should expect their investment to be a donation to the company.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Speaking of Defiance, how is that game? I love the show, been reserved about trying the game.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    I think you should wait untill mmos go f2p.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

It does seem to be a solid strategy, but some folks prefer to play them sooner rather than later and will pay more to do so, just like movies I suppose.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Vorch

I don't pay sub fees.

And anyone who pays for a lifetime subscription (200+ USD) should expect their investment to be a donation to the company.

That's an accurate description.

I pre-ordered Tera Online, paid for 4 months, logged maybe 10 hrs? I knew what I was doing when I did it, i'd do it again. Most games, I think we all know it's a trend we will go through, play for three months and get bored with, then move on. The decision on what ones we invest in and what ones we don't is up to individuals.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Divion

If on the game's launch anniversy it goes Free to Play, then you lost EVERYTHING you invested, as a new player can spend the treshold amount, and have basiclly the same account status as you, minus the progression you made.

MMOs aren't investments. They're entertainment. Also, he won't get the fun I had during that year of subscription.

If you're not especially interested in a game, I can see waiting until it drops in price. However, I don't think anything is wasted when you pay for a game you really enjoy.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by furbans

Depends on the game and really not feasible.  People like to game and when a new title comes around people will try it.  Thats like saying we shouldn't buy fresh games like Dishonored or Bioshock Infinate until they go half prices. 

And if people do this this will only hurt and pretty much destroy the industry.  If you want pisspoor mediocere MMOs then go ahead with this.  And F2P can be the death spell of MMOs and being on lifesupport.

I think Furbans is 100% correct in this reguard. There is nothing wrong about paying a sub for a game you enjoy playing.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I personally think people should start paying again and stop letting the genre go F2P. F2P will forever be an awful model, in my eyes.
  • ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Mostly I do not free to play.  I dislike what I feel is the dishonesty of it, nothing is actually free. I much prefer to sub. I am subbing LOTRO and I enjoy hearing all the  posts about which is the best zone package to buy and how do I get all those points needed to do so. I don't have that problem.  I get all the zones with my sub. If they ended subs I would play single player games. Another thing i have found is that hand in hand with becoming F2P games become a lot easier and less challenging so that the F2P players can participate without any stress. Just my opinion, but I think the F2P model has cost MMO's their soul.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I personally like the P2P model. I would rather pay a set $15 a month and get the whole game rather than be nickle and dimed the entire game.

I do see the trend of F2P becoming more and more popular tho. I dont play F2P MMOs personally but it seems alot of people like that model. More power to them I say, if the business model works and the consumers spend money and its profitable then have at it. I just wont be on the F2P bandwagon.

If you think the average person actually saves money by F2P over P2P then your misinformed. The reason these companies push out F2P games quickly is to cash in and make a quick buck. Not because they think it will save you money or offer a product with some longevity and retain players.

But then again maybe I am just old and dont understand this F2P craze =)

Originally posted by jdnewell

I personally like the P2P model. I would rather pay a set $15 a month and get the whole game rather than be nickle and dimed the entire game.

I do see the trend of F2P becoming more and more popular tho. I dont play F2P MMOs personally but it seems alot of people like that model. More power to them I say, if the business model works and the consumers spend money and its profitable then have at it. I just wont be on the F2P bandwagon.

If you think the average person actually saves money by F2P over P2P then your misinformed. The reason these companies push out F2P games quickly is to cash in and make a quick buck. Not because they think it will save you money or offer a product with some longevity and retain players.

Depends on how it's done. Same games can be played fine without paying a cent (Aion, Tera) ~ Some games, are almost unplaybled in their free form, and you will be raped one day or another on the dollar. (STO,SWTOR)

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I'm not a fan of F2P games. I find them to be shoddy, 2nd rate games so I try and avoid them. I have tried a few to see how "free" they are and all have failed to impress me, either because of the quality or the intrusion of the shop. The latest is Neverwinter, which is a fairly uninspiring Dungeon grinder overall, with a shop that has some of the most over-priced items I've seen.

Unfortunately the P2P games have been equally poor lately. While I wouldn't suggest waiting for a game to go F2P, there's no guarentee it will, I would suggest that people stop buying pre-orders just for a head start and a useless item that will only last them 10 levels.

If we were all to wait for a game to release and then allow reviewers time to get something online that lets you see the game, maybe we'd see an improvement in the quality of MMO's and games in general.

Unless you get a beta spot in an upcoming MMO then wait. Start making informed purchases instead of buying on impulse and maybe things will get better.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I'm not a fan of F2P games. I find them to be shoddy, 2nd rate games so I try and avoid them. I have tried a few to see how "free" they are and all have failed to impress me, either because of the quality or the intrusion of the shop. The latest is Neverwinter, which is a fairly uninspiring Dungeon grinder overall, with a shop that has some of the most over-priced items I've seen.

Unfortunately the P2P games have been equally poor lately. While I wouldn't suggest waiting for a game to go F2P, there's no guarentee it will, I would suggest that people stop buying pre-orders just for a head start and a useless item that will only last them 10 levels.

If we were all to wait for a game to release and then allow reviewers time to get something online that lets you see the game, maybe we'd see an improvement in the quality of MMO's and games in general.

Unless you get a beta spot in an upcoming MMO then wait. Start making informed purchases instead of buying on impulse and maybe things will get better.

P2P devs probably thought they could get away by making mediocre games and expect subs to stay subbed.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by jdnewell

Depends on how it's done. Same games can be played fine without paying a cent (Aion, Tera) ~ Some games, are almost unplaybled in their free form, and you will be raped one day or another on the dollar. (STO,SWTOR)

Frankly, I have more fun with a community which pays for the game and cares about communication and maturity than playing a game alone for free.

Those MMORPGs I play didn't switch to F2P since release (e.g. DAoC and WAR). MMORPGs - thus games - are still entertainment. You even pay to watch a movie in cinema without even playing a character which you create. MMorpgs are still kinda different entertaiment than films: They are multiplayers. If I want to play decent games alone I'd rather play a singleplayer game since there is more content for a solo player than an MMORPG can provide.

I pay for MMORPGs I like to invest a lot of time ... E.g. 5+ years. Sure thing: Paying $15 per months while playing just 5hrs a week is a loss. But if a game is decent enough and has a communicative communitiy then I feel that those developers deserve this so called "donation". As decent film producers do.

I tested a lot of F2P MMORPGs like Cabal Online, Silkroad, Aion, TERA, Age of Conan and many more ... I didn't feel that they bind me to the game, its world and even to its community at all. In my eyes good entertainment should really bind me to the product.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Should we stop buying MMORPGs, and just wait til they go F2P?

Probably.

Most of the games that release as P2P since 2005 appear to be scamming people. Within a year, most of these games go F2P. Get the box money from the hype, hold onto as many subs as you can for as long as you can with your high release numbers and then switch it over to a more lucrative model. All of those people that spent money on the box and subs often end up feeling cheated and distressed.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

None of mainstream mmorpg released in last 5 years had an overall game concept&design that would make it's survival as p2p possible.    I don't like to even play (not to mention buy) mmorpg's that don't have long-term stable p2p potential - so I've just completly stopped playing any mmorpg's.

For those people that simply look for a mmorpg to play for a while and that don't mind microtransactions - yes waiting till it get f2p / freemium or b2p+cash shop  is definately viable and good strategy.  Few upcoming mmorpg's also don't have design that would allow them to survive as p2p games - at least from public available info.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well you mean cash shop,they are never free.They soon become a partial game depending on how much you pay.

Personally i have m,atured beyond the phase when i was young and would buy every single new game that came out.

Now i look for a solid game and i expect a sub based game becuase that woudl tell me they have confidence in the quality of their game.If a game even smells of cheap quality, then i stay away ,i know it will; end up cash shop.

What really bothers me is that more and more developers are designing their games cheaper with full intention of going cash shop.Everything from lower end graphics,no insides of buildings,no movers,no dsepth to combat or crafting,missing content,empty worlds phasing in,low quality visuals example graphic quality is hued at a very short distance  to keep the bandwidth down ect ect.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

So, what kind of game would survive as P2P?

TERA/AION ~ All amazing games, i don't think it's the titles, and games // Sure some just plain out suck, and shouldn't even have been published, and/or developed.

But lets face it, the industry is too big now, there is too many options, i just don't think the notion of P2P is workable except in the most extreme of cases (WoW). 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    No, I feel my time has a price associated with it even if... especially if it's my free time. If I see an MMO I'd want to play I have no problem paying 60.00 for it and if it turns out to be one month of entertainment so be it. I've probably spent at least 40-60 hours playing, that's cheap entertainment!

If I play for a whole year? 225/365 even if I play an average of an hour a day is .62. Again, really cheap entertainment. Plus, it's not like you are getting all the sub features for free anyhow. Most have some things locked away for micro translations.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Check out this article : http://www.examiner.com/article/don-t-buy-that-wait-the-smart-guide-to-mmorpgs

It claims that most MMORPGS being released now, have a short fuse til they just become free anyways, and you lose out on your box purchase, and subs.

I tend to agree, it seems like P2P is basiclly dead, companies are making more off Freemium.

What say you?

real works wants to be payed.

secret blown. i know :)

anyway, they all need to make money one way or the other, and usualy the p2p mmos had far more content than the f2p ones (not all of them tho obviously, both sides got bad examples).

i don't think p2p is dead, actually i'd rather go with mark jacobs statement and say f2p is a "hype" that will hold some time, but not forever

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Aion and TERA are great examples of mostly cosmetic items and getting the "game" for free. There are a few things to mention though.

First is that you will not get updates nearly as much as P2P. WoW, Rift, EvE, etc. release content and make improvements on a regular basis. This is no surprise since the last NC quarterly showed NA Aion as a sliver of revenue compared to thier other games.

Second is what you done across if you DO decide to spend in the cash shop. In Aion you pay to rent some cosmetic stuff for 30 days. Remember tht issue about not wanting to feel like you HAVE to log in?

I'm glad both models are available so people can chose what they want. I however think P2P is well worth it if you like the game. I guess it also depends on how long you plan to be there. If someone likes to "hop" sub games aren't feasible.