Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having trouble getting audio to my surround sound.

cvettecvette Member UncommonPosts: 82

Thanks for reading this and trying to help me out.

I have a samsung series 7 gamer laptop. I am connecting it to my denon avr-1913 with an hdmi cable. I get great video but the audio is only coming from my PC speakers.

Under my playback devices i have "high definition audio device" selected. When i plugged in my hdmi cable no other playback devices show up.

Since i am using hdmi, should i be able to get audi through it, or do i need a special sound card im my laptop.

Thank a lot

Jess

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

There is probably a driver update for your video card.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

High Definition Audio Device sounds like a Realtek or other integrated audio component.  That means it is your laptop's speakers.

Second hit on Google produced this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/no-hdmi-sound-output-from-my-samsung-laptop-after/8bc93dd6-2948-e011-9575-d8d385dcbb12?msgId=5a230546-9b48-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

One simple thing to try first might be to open your Recording Devices, right click in the empty area, and select the two items:  Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.  That might make your HDMI output show up.  Getting it to work from there is difficult to say what to do without seeing it.  You could just need a driver to make it work.

I would be wary about using HDMI for your audio output.  Some drivers and devices might not support more than 2-channel audio through HDMI.

• cvettecvette Member UncommonPosts: 82

Thanks so much for the help.

Once i clicked show hidden devices, the digital audio showed up. It still didnt work properly so i uninstalled the drivers and let windows reinstall after reboot. Windows mu st have installed some generic drivers. I then installed the audio drivers from the Samsung website. Rebooted and "bingo", everything worked out.

Thanks again

Jess