Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great game, awful ownership.

JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Ill keep this short NW is an impressive game. I was doubtful... i am doubtful of all mmorpgs these days.

But it impresses me, playing as a DC is great no issues please enjoy yourself.

Playing as a guardians.. never EVER do it. The game is broke for you why pray tell?

Well unlike companies that undersatnd supporting a game that hopes to grow better, the owners here have decided to choose option asia or b. Which si make a game micro trans support it Bleed people the gane will die but for a few people, move on to the next game. In otherwords this game has been chosen to fail.

I don't blame them thats is the REALITY of mmos today. But ill pass on any game such as this.

So how do i know this? Well the microtransaction system is one that minics this stucture. Its literally that easy to identify what the goal of ownership is. Don't believe me read up on it.

Case and point, games ment to grow and stay offer fluff, character slots, acount based benifits (gw, lol, poe, etc)  in hopes of funding a game. NWO here set up a game system where in the case of the aforementioned guardian  would need to respec ~3 times a day to just play with some freedom (pvp, solo, and group specs are vastly different) so your talking tons of money or more realistically a non-viable system. But viablity of the system is not important getting as much $$ as fast as possible is. There goal is people will do this a few times to try some diffrent stuff out, they collect the money but the player has nothing to show for it. (the time to farm such money in-game is a week ).

The sad thing is this isn't even PART of the game.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Comments

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265
    The goal of ownership is to make money, not sure I have to read up on whatever it is you know, not backed by a link to it's source...
  • gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

Ill keep this short NW is an impressive game. I was doubtful... i am doubtful of all mmorpgs these days.

But it impresses me, playing as a DC is great no issues please enjoy yourself.

Playing as a guardians.. never EVER do it. The game is broke for you why pray tell?

Well unlike companies that undersatnd supporting a game that hopes to grow better, the owners here have decided to choose option asia or b. Which si make a game micro trans support it Bleed people the gane will die but for a few people, move on to the next game. In otherwords this game has been chosen to fail.

I don't blame them thats is the REALITY of mmos today. But ill pass on any game such as this.

So how do i know this? Well the microtransaction system is one that minics this stucture. Its literally that easy to identify what the goal of ownership is. Don't believe me read up on it.

Case and point, games ment to grow and stay offer fluff, character slots, acount based benifits (gw, lol, poe, etc)  in hopes of funding a game. NWO here set up a game system where in the case of the aforementioned guardian  would need to respec ~3 times a day to just play with some freedom (pvp, solo, and group specs are vastly different) so your talking tons of money or more realistically a non-viable system. But viablity of the system is not important getting as much $$ as fast as possible is. There goal is people will do this a few times to try some diffrent stuff out, they collect the money but the player has nothing to show for it. (the time to farm such money in-game is a week ).

The sad thing is this isn't even PART of the game.

wait.. what?

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

@OP

Tab switches some skills on my DC and has nothing to do with targeting. I use the reticule to aim. 

ALL GAME COMPANIES are trying to make a profit (the goal of every owner/publisher out there). Period. I'm assuming you don't like the model, however, I actually find it less limiting than some other major F2P titles such as LOTRO and DDO. Is it expensive if you decide to use it? Seems so, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. To me, a bad owner would not charge, because the game would quickly dissappear (along with many other games).

Why again is the Guardian broken? Respecs?...You lost me there. All classes face this problem, however, from what I've noticed about the gated skill tree, there aren't many points early on that will make much difference. And can't feats be redone at no cost? Correct me if I'm wrong here. All in all, I don't see much to try out as far as skills/feats go. The flexibility of classes appears to be fairly limiting imo...Especially if you compare to games like Rift...and even WoW. 

edit: cleaned up

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423

I hate to say it, but....

Dev's gotta eat too.

You don't get something for nothing, people don't work day and night without pay so you can play for free. 

• cardjestercardjester Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Tbh if i was you, i would actually take a good look at the end game content and the way you're playing it. By reading what you've just stated, i can not agree with you at all.  This is a great game and you don't need to put any more into the item shop what so ever. It can all be done without spending your $$. Try actually knowing before posting maybe?

Cardjester /// Hellsplushie

Gamer for life, don't come to me complaining about grinding, getting pwnt or shit. I don't care

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Panzerbase

Dev's gotta eat too.

You don't get something for nothing, people don't work day and night without pay so you can play for free. 

Hersay! Burn the Witch! She turned me into a Newt!

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

I'm honestly having the time of my life with neverwinter.  When I first played it I was like ... meh....   But once you have found a real active guild, play in a group instead of solo, and really dig into everything the game has to offer.  It's a great game.

On top of that, quite a few people are asking "what is there to do at end game?".  That's one of the real beauties of the game.  There isn't an "end game".  With player created content via the foundry there are limitless options on how to spend your time.  My guild mates and I can pick a foundry adventure at random, and just chill out playing through it.  Or we can make a PVP night of things.  As long as we are together, we are having a blast.

On top of that I now have 3 characters 20+ and I have not repeated a single piece of content (aside from the intro quest), thanks to the foundry system.   How many games can you say that about?

• JDogg126JDogg126 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

You are talking out of the side of your neck.  If you need to repsec 3 times a day you really and truely do not understand the game you are playing.  You need to stop bringing your World of Warcraft baggage to every MMO you play.  YOU DO NOT NEED RANK 3 of EVERY SKILL TO WIN this game.  You do not need to MIN/MAX anything in this game because at level 60 there is very little difference and it all will come down to how you play not what you spec or what gear you have.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

No no no he's upset because he has an issue with committing to something. You cannot be viable in all three catagories. Pick one and for once try to stick with it. You're either going to be good at PvP, solo or group play and be mediocre in the remaining two. But there is an option for those that HAVE to HAVE the ability to change their role like the wind and it's gonna cost cash.

So no, I hope the devs keep things like they are and players start to actually care enough about their decisions on how to build their character and learn their own strengths and weaknesses. You cannot expect to be good at it all. Stop trying to min/max and learn to adapt the way you play the game based on the character you chose to build instead of trying to flip a freakin switch when you think you've hit a roadblock this early in the game...sheesh.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Over-priced and could be handled better? I say so, but its not bad. Its got some issues with its design but at least you can manage to get a lot of the things in game, even if the ways to do so i feel are rather lack luster and take far to much resources to get. Both in game resources and actual money charged for things just needs to be nudged down a few pegs I think.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

I don't really care about "awful ownership." Stuff like that never even registers for me. If I'm having fun, that's all that matters, and when the fun ends, I stop playing. It's really that simple in my eyes. I don't care about the ethics of game development or micro-transactions enough for it to stop me from playing a game that I'm enjoying. 

People on MMORPG.com could give me a 20 page paper on why EA/Bioware is awful, and I should avoid their products, but I simply don't give a damn. If they make a fun game I'll play it even if they are the worst company in the world. The same goes for Cryptic and Neverwinter.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

Dev's gotta eat too.

tell that to the LoL guys, they are literally swimming in pools of dollar notes and their company has tenfolded in staff since they started...and that, without making their game a cash grab schemes designed by psychologists, which create all kind of traps so people feel forced to spend their money in removing big, obvious and crippling inconveniences implemented on purpose.

quite the contrary

the funniest part is that companies like PWI/Cryptic are leaving behind hordes of unsatisfied/angry customers for no reason at all. they have decided to bank everything on the short term goal instead of the long term.

cant blame them entirely tho, their strategy while morally repulsive and nauseating, is finantially sound.

there's a sucker born every minute, and for every guy that has already been burned by a PWI/Cryptic game and swears to never again, there's a newcomer to the genre oblivious to their antics and willing to give their game a chance.

and many of them will learn too late thay they can get more for less elsewhere, that other F2P,  B2P or even P2P games can be  far less "in your face" with the monetization, providing a superior enjoyment, opposed to "pay us so we stop kkicing you in the balls"...and in many cases be even cheaper in the long run

but by the point they join the angry masses, some other newcomer will have taken their place

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

People on MMORPG.com could give me a 20 page paper on why EA/Bioware is awful, and I should avoid their products, but I simply don't give a damn. If they make a fun game I'll play it even if they are the worst company in the world. The same goes for Cryptic and Neverwinter.

Finally! Someone speaks the truth! Way too political on this website. People are taking their gaming way to serious to the point where stock prices have started to come up in threads regularly.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Sagasaint

Dev's gotta eat too.

tell that to the LoL guys, they are literally swimming in pools of dollar notes and their company has tenfolded in staff since they started...and that, without making their game a cash grab schemes designed by psychologists, which create all kind of traps so people feel forced to spend their money in removing big, obvious and crippling inconveniences implemented on purpose.

quite the contrary

the funniest part is that companies like PWI/Cryptic are leaving behind hordes of unsatisfied/angry customers for no reason at all. they have decided to bank everything on the short term goal instead of the long term.

cant blame them entirely tho, their strategy while morally repulsive and nauseating, is finantially sound.

there's a sucker born every minute, and for every guy that has already been burned by a PWI/Cryptic game and swears to never again, there's a newcomer to the genre oblivious to their antics and willing to give their game a chance.

and many of them will learn too late thay they can get more for less elsewhere, that other F2P,  B2P or even P2P games can be  far less "in your face" with the monetization, providing a superior enjoyment, opposed to "pay us so we stop kkicing you in the balls"...and in many cases be even cheaper in the long run

but by the point they join the angry masses, some other newcomer will have taken their place

I'm convinced you haven't actually played Neverwinter. There is certainly nothing that suggests a "pay us to stop kicking you in the balls" method. Really don't see it....at all.

• JDogg126JDogg126 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I'm convinced you haven't actually played Neverwinter. There is certainly nothing that suggests a "pay us to stop kicking you in the balls" method. Really don't see it....at all.

I have to agree.  None of the Cryptic games are actually "pay us to stop kicking you in the balls".  I wish people would stop giving their unqualified and uninformed opinions but I know that's not going to stop ever.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Sagasaint

Dev's gotta eat too.

quite the contrary

I have said it before and I will say it again: I have yet to see a single valid complaint come from people who complain about Cryptic/PWE.  They either whine about stuff that they misunderstand or about stuff that is actually insignificant and not worth complaining about.  Most, if not all, of these complaints seem to stem from people wanting to hate Cryptic, but being unable to find anything to actually complain about, just grasp at straws or intentionally get stuff wrong.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• kaeljaerenkaeljaeren Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Your argument is invalid. I play as a Guardian, full on tank, gear, power and feats. Sure, it takes longer to kill a mob than a rogue, but that's part of the game, try to change places and see how long the rogue can tank the boss and that wouldn't be possible so. No, you don't have to respec three times per day, and the fact that you have companions and can have a dps companion totaly cancels out your argument... common sense is not common enough. 
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    What exactly is great about this game? It's pretty much DDO with slightly better graphics and mindless hack and slash dungeons in place of adventures. Don't get me wrong, DDO is not good either and that's kind of the point. Why make a game that's similiar but arguably worse?
  • kaeljaerenkaeljaeren Member UncommonPosts: 20

Real Time combat where you need to react, and position yourself, and with a limited amount of skill slots you need a strategy in advance. Beautiful surroundings, fascinating world with endless lore, completly free (you DONT need to spend any money, you could, but you don't have to) nice features everywhere (how the professions are, how you can get groups very fast) the fact that it's in open beta, runs smoothly, the devloper updates like every 15 minute on facebook and keeps the fan happy and posted. I could go on.

I can't come up with a reason why the game is bad. And I can't for the love of god understand why people complain about something they get for free and can chose to completly ignore, nobody forces you to do anything. You could be sitting naked by a river playing the violin instead of being here so... What's up with that?

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

This mentality of "ohh they are money grabbing SOB" really is quite hillaious,

The game is free. You pay no sub. Thus you can play the entire game paying NOTHING. Zero. Nada. The devs, who spent years and alot of cash making this, get nothing in return from you.

Now compare to a b2p/p2p game, where you pay maybe 30 euro for the game and then 15 euro a month, in a 6 month peiod that is 30+5*15 = 105 euros.

Now compare to the zen store of NW. How much can you get for 105 euro? More importantly, can you the things you believe you have to get, due to the way the game is made, for less than 105 euros?

Please put things into a long term perspective (i know this is hard for the mmo crowd now a day) when you consider prices and what is "fair".

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by kaeljaeren

Real Time combat where you need to react, and position yourself, and with a limited amount of skill slots you need a strategy in advance. Beautiful surroundings, fascinating world with endless lore, completly free (you DONT need to spend any money, you could, but you don't have to) nice features everywhere (how the professions are, how you can get groups very fast) the fact that it's in open beta, runs smoothly, the devloper updates like every 15 minute on facebook and keeps the fan happy and posted. I could go on.

I can't come up with a reason why the game is bad. And I can't for the love of god understand why people complain about something they get for free and can chose to completly ignore, nobody forces you to do anything. You could be sitting naked by a river playing the violin instead of being here so... What's up with that?

I have to say that TERA and more so GW2 do this better but the combat system is still acceptable. But it is the player created content that differs this game from the rest, not the combat mechanics.

That they actually try to get in some money isnt strange to me, and from what I seen so far could things be a lot worse. I think Neverwinter actually is a pretty good game even if I would give a lot to make the combat flow as it does in GW2.

Longeviety is in player created content.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Loke666

I have to say that TERA and more so GW2 do this better but the combat system is still acceptable. But it is the player created content that differs this game from the rest, not the combat mechanics.

That they actually try to get in some money isnt strange to me, and from what I seen so far could things be a lot worse. I think Neverwinter actually is a pretty good game even if I would give a lot to make the combat flow as it does in GW2.

Longeviety is in player created content.

Dont compare GW2 combat to TERA or NW (or TSW with reticle combat). GW2 combat sucks, and is not action combat the way TERA and even more so NW is.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Your argument is invalid. I play as a Guardian, full on tank, gear, power and feats. Sure, it takes longer to kill a mob than a rogue, but that's part of the game, try to change places and see how long the rogue can tank the boss and that wouldn't be possible so. No, you don't have to respec three times per day, and the fact that you have companions and can have a dps companion totaly cancels out your argument... common sense is not common enough. 

Since when is Tuesday a direction?