Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

things to know before you start playing eve

apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

-99% of players have at least 2 accounts ( i was multiboxing with at least 2 - one farming and onbe pvping, but there have been special times when i had 4 loged in)

-0.1  of players( the noes  who are the ceo of corporations and aliances) play for free by tacking/robbing corp funds, the rest are just slaves/meatshield  for their corps/aliances/ceos

-now and then when the space is  *really* endangered you *may* get a free ship to fight for corp space

-you have almost no room for mistakes: you either get quicly killed by enemyes or you get trolled/harrased/bullied by your teammates.

-there is no concept of fair fight, if you end in one you did something wrong . usually the bigger blob(which can have hundreds of ships/players) wins

-this game should be actually named "metagaming online". good luck killing anything without spyes infiltrated in the corporation controlling that teritory.

All this would not be actually a problem if the game would not require huge amount of farming  or real money investment to buy ships. I quit playing the game for quite some time but at that time a fully equipeed shipd would have cost you arround 20 $ or 5-10 hours of farming(not mentioning the logistic to move the ship in space to your station)  and you can lose it in a blink.  If you see a single target that you want to engage probably is just a bait and you will have 10 capitals jumping on you.

The ammount of boreness in this game is huge.  Beside farming for hours/days for a ship you will spend hours to get a fight.

When you get in a fight it will end anyway in a timeframe of 30sec-5 minutes or major lag will kick in and what is supose to take 1 sec takes 5 min.

Usually people keep playing this game because of "hostages factor" - you invested so much time in your assets and you don't want to quit.

====

EVE would be a great game if it would cut the farming factor a bit and would implement the same insurance concept as StarCitizen. (you loose the ship you get it back with some restrictions)

Yes there is insurance in eve but you get ingame currency. To replace the ship you would actually have to spend hours to transport/haul/move it in space. For capitals is even harder and for supercapitalls you can't even buy one without proper connections not mentioning that half of universe will literraly run to kill you.

Comments

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by apanz3r

<I don't understand MMORPGs>

EVE would be a great game if it would cut the farming factor a bit and would implement the same insurance concept as StarCitizen. (you loose the ship you get it back with some restrictions)

Yes there is insurance in eve but you get ingame currency. To replace the ship you would actually have to spend hours to transport/haul/move it in space. For capitals is even harder and for supercapitalls you can't even buy one without proper connections not mentioning that half of universe will literraly run to kill you.

People gather resources.

People buy those resources and make things such as ships.

People buy those ships and move them to another market.

I take it that you don't have an interest in those things?  Well, I do.

Eve is a great MMORPG.

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

Good for you.

I gave up, why spend a week of farming(missions, doing industry like you etc)  to have a ship for weekend and spend the weekend running, camping  blobing, getting blobed or in lag when i can play world of tanks and have pvp in 30 sec.

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

Eve is about wins and loses. If you dont like the game go play another game.

We come to the earth to have fun. I dont play wow because i dont like it. I play eve because i have fun atm. Maybe in a month i change my mind.

• EulampiosEulampios Member Posts: 48

Because in world of tanks no one cares if you won or lost the fight. 

The EVE ship you just lost put a dent in your corporation's ability to fight. On the next fight in 2 hours, your corporation will have one less ship to fight with, therefor being in a disadvantage. The enemy will win, take up your space, moons and PI. Guess what those things translate into?

----------------
    We don't need a king of MMOs, we need a group of Titans so that everyone can play what suits them best.
    -Ascension08

I liked eve only thing i hated was stupid farming. I played eve for like 5 years while there wasn;t really an alternative mmo for pvp.

They can take the concept of gold tank from World of tanks. They are not too great but they can do an OK job if handled properly. Throw on top of them an insurance that give you the ship back with some passable fit and tadaaa everybody is happy.

People will not be afraid to undock and have pvp, better ships will be still made for people that want an edge. More pvp will mean more ships built, more industry more mining.

Nobody winns if everybody stays docked and spin the ship and don;t engage.

I haven't played for a while. Did they actually add the spin counter they were talking about?

In all seriousness, however, the golden tank scenario creates the problem of adding something in the game that required no resources or time to be made. In a game where everything is about economy, that would be fatal. For example, it is well known that the head of RA is (or was, as I said I haven't played for a while) a russian aluminium tycoon. I am sure he is willing to spend 4-5 million USD for his alliance to conquer all the known space by instant golden coin ships.

Don't get me wrong, the game has alot of bad things, but the economical "everything matters" approach is not one of them. Saying "I like this game because it's unique, if only it was slightly different, like all the other games, I would so love it" is an oxymoron.  

----------------
    We don't need a king of MMOs, we need a group of Titans so that everyone can play what suits them best.
    -Ascension08

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

I liked eve only thing i hated was stupid farming. I played eve for like 5 years while there wasn;t really an alternative mmo for pvp.

They can take the concept of gold tank from World of tanks. They are not too great but they can do an OK job if handled properly. Throw on top of them an insurance that give you the ship back with some passable fit and tadaaa everybody is happy.

People will not be afraid to undock and have pvp, better ships will be still made for people that want an edge. More pvp will mean more ships built, more industry more mining.

Sounds like you want to make the game easier and less exciting.

Originally posted by Eulampios

Because in world of tanks no one cares if you won or lost the fight. 

The EVE ship you just lost put a dent in your corporation's ability to fight. On the next fight in 2 hours, your corporation will have one less ship to fight with, therefor being in a disadvantage. The enemy will win, take up your space, moons and PI. Guess what those things translate into?

There is the concept of holding space in World of Tanks. Also your tank will be blocked for a week witch is also a penality.

If anything the blocked tank is a bigger penality because you usualy have 1-2 tier 10 tanks while in eve a reach corp can have hundreds of ships in station.

But the most important part is that you can have constant fun in WOT while eve is constant griefing with very short moments of fun.

Please explain me how long does it take to a new player 6 months to replace his ship deep in 0.0 space

1. he can buy from local station at an exorbitant price IF anybody sells it

2. he can try to fly it from jitta. If he is VERY lucky probably 1 hour, most likely he will get killed o the way

3. He can jump it with his carrier capital (he will need 2 accounts for any real scenario). Still he can be easily ganked at cyno (happen quite offen , including suicide dreads)

4. he can wait for corp transport, whenever this will happen.

5. He can try to build one at the station with blueprint and minerals.

All those variants takes hours at least, huge amount of work and huge chance to get ganked all the way.

So after all this pain is very unlikely you will just undock to have some pew pew unless you are quite sure you will win.

So please spare me of the risk/reward theory. All eve is metagaming - spyes, camping,ganking,blobs and lag. Oh and ceos that rob corps.

Originally posted by immodium

Sounds like you want to make the game easier and less exciting.

Are you excited when you are spinning your ship in station ?

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Awww looks like some poor pubbies got butt kicked....where did the evil null seccers touched you ?

So many shit wrong with your OP post it makes me spit out my coffe..

Let me give you my vieuw:

TNT alliance - residence in Deklein / Tribute - around 2000 members / member of CFC coalition.

We rat for plex / doing 150 mill per hour atm, makes me around 2 billion a week, enough for anything i want to do.

We do PVP - small / medium / large - sometimes you get epic fights / sometimes you raom for 2 hours and find only a few straglers.

Our CEO invest in POS / Moons / Production.
    He give price money to the best PVPr's in corp and the best Miners in corp.

I joined TNT when i was still green / no kills / no pvp done.
    He gave me ships / pvp lessons / basic knowledge of null sec.
    he took the time to explain every question i had with patience.

Eve online can be the most boring mmo ever untill you join a Null / Low / WH corp / alliance.
    I did missions for 2 months......mined in between.....i quited the game twice in that period.
    After joining TNT i created 3 other toons to do all kind of fun stuff.
    Null sec makes you rich, it provides contend, and the people around you in your alliance are willing to help you with anything...

So OP, did you ever do pvp ? joined a null sec alliance ? or are you a pubbie that got ganked in a 12 billion Golem payed with plex ?

Mr apanz3r you contradict yourself once more. Your main argument is that ships take too long to replace in EVE in regards to meaningful fights, and that's bad. On the other hand, tanks being locked for a week in WoT is good. Double standards?

If you want fun in EVE online, make a 3 month old character and join RvB. They burn through a billion ISK worth of ships per week. You will have fights 24^7 with minimal costs. But no, you want a Battlecruiser / Battleship to have fun, right? It's all about the endgame, right? Top tier or bust. Which leads to another question: what is your 6 month newbie doing in 0.0 flying things above cruisers? Remember the golden rule "only fly what you can afford to lose". If you lost your T2 BS that you were hardly able to fit and fly, you are the one to blame.

Let me give you an insight of how those "bad, cheating, assholes, retards, who want to destroy our game" guys in Goonswarm work. You join as a newbie. You ask in corp chat "Hey guys, I am new, what do I do?". You instantly receive one billion in ISK, 20 free ships (above frigates, frigates are always free in GS) and 3-4 messages from guys that want to mentor you.

That's how a sucessfull 0.0 alliance operate. Your 32 man indy-PvE corp that joined a no-name 0.0 alliance as a space tenant  shouldn't be there in the first place. 

----------------
    -Ascension08

I haven't played for a while. Did they actually add the spin counter they were talking about?

In all seriousness, however, the golden tank scenario creates the problem of adding something in the game that required no resources or time to be made. In a game where everything is about economy, that would be fatal. For example, it is well known that the head of RA is (or was, as I said I haven't played for a while) a russian aluminium tycoon. I am sure he is willing to spend 4-5 million USD for his alliance to conquer all the known space by instant golden coin ships.

Don't get me wrong, the game has alot of bad things, but the economical "everything matters" approach is not one of them. Saying "I like this game because it's unique, if only it was slightly different, like all the other games, I would so love it" is an oxymoron.  

Nobody conquers space with battle cruisers. Super caps are for this (with batleship support).

A gold ship that would be like Tier 1.5 battlecruiser would suffice for pvp to happen (2 batllecruiser can take on 1 battleship).

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Is that all you do in the game? Well, sure I would be bored if I played like you.

Mr apanz3r you contradict yourself once more. Your main argument is that ships take too long to replace in EVE in regards to meaningful fights, and that's bad. On the other hand, tanks being locked for a week in WoT is good. Double standards?

>>after 1 week i have the ship back, i dont have to farm that week. All i pointed is that you can have death penality without requiring massive farming

If you want fun in EVE online, make a 3 month old character and join RvB. They burn through a billion ISK worth of ships per week. You will have fights 24^7 with minimal costs. But no, you want a Battlecruiser / Battleship to have fun, right? It's all about the endgame, right? Top tier or bust. Which leads to another question: what is your 6 month newbie doing in 0.0 flying things above cruisers? Remember the golden rule "only fly what you can afford to lose". If you lost your T2 BS that you were hardly able to fit and fly, you are the one to blame.

>> i had (and probbly still have) 3 characters with more than 50 mil sp (dont  recll the numbers exactly) that could fly pretty much anything except titan  logi and mining stuff. (I even had an aeon at some point.).  6 months is enough to have a 0.0 char - bs with tier 2 gunns and some 2 tank (doesnt really matter when you re primaried) 

Let me give you an insight of how those "bad, cheating, assholes, retards, who want to destroy our game" guys in Goonswarm work. You join as a newbie. You ask in corp chat "Hey guys, I am new, what do I do?". You instantly receive one billion in ISK, 20 free ships (above frigates, frigates are always free in GS) and 3-4 messages from guys that want to mentor you.

>> lol. what happened with GS famous scamming when you have been trying to  join them

That's how a sucessfull 0.0 alliance operate. Your 32 man indy-PvE corp that joined a no-name 0.0 alliance as a space tenant  shouldn't be there in the first place. 

>> i was in many alliances/corps/powerblocvkd and i lost their track. The first one was TRIumvirate(which was ll but pve). Is easier to mention the power blocks in which what i wasnt GS and BOB. I fought for all in fleet bs and mostly in carriers because the carrier was ironicly the easiest ship to replace and had good life expectancy(jump to lowesec, buy one, bring fitt from jita in indy, i had fighters from looting battle field, jump home). 

Originally posted by immodium

Is that all you do in the game? Well, sure I would be bored if I played like you.

I am sure when the roaming gang is in your system you undock alone in station where you cant instadock and kill them all.

I don;t really care but I am sure many people will appreciate if you mention the system where your station is.

Originally posted by Mothanos

Awww looks like some poor pubbies got butt kicked....where did the evil null seccers touched you ?

So many shit wrong with your OP post it makes me spit out my coffe..

Let me give you my vieuw:

TNT alliance - residence in Deklein / Tribute - around 2000 members / member of CFC coalition.

We rat for plex / doing 150 mill per hour atm, makes me around 2 billion a week, enough for anything i want to do.

We do PVP - small / medium / large - sometimes you get epic fights / sometimes you raom for 2 hours and find only a few straglers.

Our CEO invest in POS / Moons / Production.
    He give price money to the best PVPr's in corp and the best Miners in corp.

I joined TNT when i was still green / no kills / no pvp done.
    He gave me ships / pvp lessons / basic knowledge of null sec.
    he took the time to explain every question i had with patience.

Eve online can be the most boring mmo ever untill you join a Null / Low / WH corp / alliance.
    I did missions for 2 months......mined in between.....i quited the game twice in that period.
    After joining TNT i created 3 other toons to do all kind of fun stuff.
    Null sec makes you rich, it provides contend, and the people around you in your alliance are willing to help you with anything...

So OP, did you ever do pvp ? joined a null sec alliance ? or are you a pubbie that got ganked in a 12 billion Golem payed with plex ?

I am not sure if you speak with me. My time in high sec was for buying stuff from jitta and suicide ganking.

Things may have changed since i stopped eve. When i was playing 30-50mil was the norm(ratting, missioning,plexing). As i was dual boxing (one pvp one farming) i wasn't risking too expensive fitts.

Don't lie you don;t get any fights except  space holding and ganks on gate  or if the guys you are their area can bring a better blob.

May i ask you how much money you make per hour when hostile cloaked is in your system or if hostile scout is 2 jumps away?

If you still make 150 please let comunity know where is your system, we  used to love (killmails from) those guys plexing in supercaps.

>>after 1 week i have the ship back, i dont have to farm that week. All i pointed is that you can have death penality without requiring massive farming

- But it actually brakes the very fundamental of the game. The ship you just lost costed money and time. Furthermore, someone actually made a profit from the sale of said ship and modules. You cannot simply take all those things away. If you were just creating ships out of thin air, fights would be about who got bored first. You have to either fix a large repair price on your golden ship or lock it from use for a week. If you do the latter you will still complain about "not being able to PvP".

Remember that EVERY single fight in EVE is about ISK. If you get ganked by 10 cruisers while flying a frigate and you manage to kill one, you will come back saying "I won" despite you losing the ship. 

>> i had (and probbly still have) 3 characters with more than 50 mil sp (dont  recll the numbers exactly) that could fly pretty much anything except titan  logi and mining stuff. (I even had an aeon at some point.).  6 months is enough to have a 0.0 char - bs with tier 2 gunns and some 2 tank (doesnt really matter when you re primaried) 

First of all, a 6-month character can barely fly a t2 fitted battleship. Said ship will set him back 150 million ISK. Even if he has 1 in 10 chances of dying in a big fight, do you think it's worth it? Why isn't he in a 3 million T2 fitted frigate or a 10 million T2 fitted cruiser?  You know, the kind of ships that he will be able to replenish in one hour of ratting. It doesn't matter what ship he is in, as every extra ship is welcomed in battlefields. It's not World of Warcraft where you have to pick your 25 best players.

Also, my last character had 18 million skill points all in minmatar frigate hulls. He could fly them perfectly. Ceptors, bombers, EAS, assault ships, you name it. I had 10 times more fun that my Wyvern character.

>> lol. what happened with GS famous scamming when you have been trying to  join them

The GS recruitment scam is still there. Because if you actually enterer the GS webpage, the first thing you will see in big red letters is "Goonswarm is not a publically recruiting company, we are all members of the SA forums. If you paid money to join you are out of luck". One thing that GS hate is stupid people. If you cannot read a single line of text and you wire money to a 4-month old character with no corp roles in his profile, you are the one to blame.

>> i was in many alliances/corps/powerblocvkd and i lost their track. The first one was TRIumvirate(which was ll but pve). Is easier to mention the power blocks in which what i wasnt GS and BOB. I fought for all in fleet bs and mostly in carriers because the carrier was ironicly the easiest ship to replace and had good life expectancy(jump to lowesec, buy one, bring fitt from jita in indy, i had fighters from looting battle field, jump home). 

And if your large alliance didn't have logistics or ship replacement programs, it is the very definition of a bad alliance. What makes SA and RA so good is the crazy (and I do mean crazy) amount of work the logistic guys do. Fun fact: carriers are also free, including modules, in CapSwarm (GS capital ship sector) if lost in an official operation. You can even get to chose the station you will pick it up from, with common stations offering instant replacement (You put your loss in a site, a bot creates you a contract).

Maybe instead of hating the game focus on your playstile and in-game decisions.

----------------
    -Ascension08

And if your large alliance didn't have logistics or ship replacement programs, it is the very definition of a bad alliance. What makes SA and RA so good is the crazy (and I do mean crazy) amount of work the logistic guys do. Fun fact: carriers are also free, inclusing modules, in CapSwarm (GS capital ship sector) if lost in an official operation. You can even get to chose the station you will pick it up from, with common stations offering instant replacement (You put your loss in a site, a bot creates you a contract).

Maybe instead of hating the game focus on your playstile and in-game decisions.

No alliance/corp was replacing your ship while roaming especially if the FC wasn't the official FC.

I don't hate the game. Is that nothing changed since 2003 except caps/supercaps.

Faction warfare in highsec - flop

3d avatar - flop

wormholes - semiflop (i am not sure how many players usually go in w space, i have been 2 times soon after was launched)

t3 ships - borderline better than T1 and T2 and only with special fits. Mostly used by carebears for cloaking ability.

I can;t say anything about the DUST because i left long before.

OH and selling plex by CCP, basically the I win button if you want to throw enough real money to the game. The explanation why ccp can sell basically isk but players can't was ridicoulous.

Anyway, most i knew played it because of too much investment in game.

No alliance/corp was replacing your ship while roaming especially if the FC wasn't the official FC.

So, when you were doing something for fun, you were overspending despite there being a significant risk you will lose everything. I will repeat myself "Don't fly what you cannot afford to lose". 

You don't drive a Pagani Huayra in real life, do you? Because I am sure you can afford it with loans and sale plans and stuff.

Funfact number 2: According to what I have been just told, Goonswarm actually reimbuses every ship that is a BS or under at hull price. They earch about a trillion per month, they must do something with it.

As to why the game has never changed, it's because everything works. Well, almost everything, lowsec has alot of problems, local chat morphs the game alot, NPC corporations are stupid and stagger new players and various other things.  There is no reason to change the very fundamentals of the game. It's like asking WoW to not be a PvE-centered grind game. This is what it is, if you don't like it you will have to move to another game.

Edit: Regarding Plexes. Someone still has to come with the ISK to buy them. They do no create value out of anything like a self-repairing ship would do. 

----------------
    -Ascension08

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Sounds like you don't belong in nullsec, if you don't like the risk of being killed. Also, something many, MANY people always tell you is "Don't fly it if you can't afford to lose it!"

Lost a Mothership? Maybe you should've sticked to frigates, they are cheaper and can take on huge ships (with some expertise, or numbers).

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

I was just going to say that it sounds like you're in a shitty corp, but then I read this. 

So you want magic ships to appear from nowhere? You want someone to only ever need one thorax/cane/tengu? You don't think that the removal of items and replacement of them by player manufacturers is important to the game?

edit- Also, it's lose. My sweater is loose, I must have lost weight. Don't lose your sweater.

Originally posted by BTrayaL

Sounds like you don't belong in nullsec, if you don't like the risk of being killed. Also, something many, MANY people always tell you is "Don't fly it if you can't afford to lose it!"

Lost a Mothership? Maybe you should've sticked to frigates, they are cheaper and can take on huge ships (with some expertise, or numbers).

Is not that i don't like to get killed. Is that i don;t  like wasting hours and hours of preparing to play .

I didn't sayd i lost a mothership smartass.  I say a flew one at some point. ( i sold it  after using it to many fleet ops).

Go troll your local chan more.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

What you need to know is everyone perceives the various activities in EVE differently.  I won't go into a full comparision, but will say that if WOT is the sort of PVP action you are craving then EVE is most probably not your style of game.

It really is about the metagaming, making sure you outflank and outmanuever your opponent, and yes, you will have to figure out a way to fund your activities through either PVE grinding or other more profitable ventures such as WH farming, trading, etc.

And yes, multiboxing is common, and profitable, and this is a good thing.  Not quite sure where the idea came from that all MMO's must be single box experiences, I ran up to 4 accounts at a time  and don't regret anything I spent on it.  (Far better deal than paying for 2 or 3 MMO's that I really didn't enjoy that much.

PVP losses in EVE hurt, sometimes enough to make you despair but that's what brings meaning to the victories.

Combat is in EVE is more like real life, you try to avoid it when possible, but if you must fight you try to make sure you are going to win, and win big.  (because dying in RL sort of ...sucks)

It is a different way to play than most games which are centered around light hearted fun......heh, EVE is serious business, and most certainly isn't for everyone.

I wish I could still play, but just don't have the free time in my schedule to partake of the 0.0 combat activities that I prefer to focus on these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Ingress is better!(for role player lover)