Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Dungeon is temporary. Good idea or bad?

observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

USE EYELOLLED'S POLL BELOW INSTEAD

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/livingworld/flameandfrost/I-dislike-temproary-content/first

Interesting discussion on the GW2 boards.

I'm trying to understand why they would waste time on temporary content like this.  Shouldn't they be adding content to the game to expand it?  I understand that they want to keep the world evolving, but Flame & Frost has taken too long and if this is what we can expect with the Living Stories in the future, then it's not worth the time and resources, in my opinion.  I would rather see large updates that are permanent, such as Fractals and Southsun Cove.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

EDIT: Failed Poll.  I realized my mistake. Haha. :)  It won't let me edit the poll either., so just ignore it. ;p

Comments

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

No offense, but FAIL poll man.

I'm glad it's temporary. Gives everyone something new to do and work towards while it being temporary means that it won't become the one dungeon every runs until they are mind-numbingly bored (COF P1 I'm looking at you!)

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Fix the poll. Also permanent. Temporary content screws people over that couldn't log in for it so there's suddently fun cool content that they will never get to experience. If you're going to spend development time to make it, why take it out? Especially in a game that's targeted towards a casual audience that is largely not logging in every day.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

EDIT: I don't know if you can repair a poll or not, so I'll add one to find out.

I don't care too much about content being temporary, as long as I have time to complete it for the rewards I want. I just completed SAB enough times to get 1 skin last night.  I'm assuming that it will not be there when I get home tonight. I'm ok with that.  If I didn't get finished to the point of the reward I want, I'd be disappointed. 

If the guy that waited around to try and buy the game at a discount isn't able to get some piece of cool gear I have  because it's no longer available. Well that suits me just fine.  When its all cosmetic, having something be a limited time only, just makes it that much more valuable, but really shouldn't alienate anyone. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't even remember what this thread is about, I'm laughing at the poll question/answers.  It's like that classic joke style...

"Pancakes or waffles?"

"Yes"

Oh yeah.  The thread.  Well I don't like the idea of temporary content either, but it happens with holidays all the time.  Not sure why they'd just throw it away afterwards.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

have created some of the best boss mechanics so far.

This dungeon shows that you are really learning how to make instanced content.

PLEASE. DO. NOT. REMOVE. IT.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

I think the others have already covered changing the poll already. "Good or bad" "Yes"

Anyways, I think it's an interesting concept. It would certainly keep people from running it to the point where it's just mindnumbing. It would also give people some pride in saying that they were here for x, or here for y.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Hilarious poll. I'll say yes to temporary and permanent content. image

Anyhow, I imagine the thought process about temporary content is it's the only way to introduce new content, new gear and rewards, but without creating a constant gear treadmill like wow's content. This way they can continue to replace advancement content post-80 while keeping it within the same reward level (replacing gear instead of making prior gear irrelevant) just with an advancing, evolving story. I think it's pretty smart even if I'm a bit bummed I might not see all the F&F content before it expires. There's always the next story event to be a part of.

Technically, everything is temporary anyway. image

edit: I probably shouldn't have said "the only way", but it might be the best and easiest way to avoid a gear treadmill making prior content irrelevant anyway...

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I don't even remember what this thread is about, I'm laughing at the poll question/answers.  It's like that classic joke style...

"Pancakes or waffles?"

"Yes"

Oh yeah.  The thread.  Well I don't like the idea of temporary content either, but it happens with holidays all the time.  Not sure why they'd just throw it away afterwards.

Hahah.. i was in a hurry when i posted it.

Yes and No were supposed to be Permanent & Temporary.  It doesn't let us edit them either. :P

That's the thing though, holiday events may return next year, but this dungeon might never come back again.  I just think it's a wasted dungeon if doesn't.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    Originally posted by observer

That's the thing though, holiday events may return next year, but this dungeon might never come back again.  I just think it's a wasted dungeon if doesn't.

I don't see it as wasted because people are obviously enjoying it now and get to keep unique rewards from it. It's like a good cake. Appreciated until it's gone, then it's off to buy a new cake (or pie).

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Fix the poll. Also permanent. Temporary content screws people over that couldn't log in for it so there's suddently fun cool content that they will never get to experience. If you're going to spend development time to make it, why take it out? Especially in a game that's targeted towards a casual audience that is largely not logging in every day.

It's the ticking clock.  You know, limited time only.  Miss it and you won't see it again.  The fact that people are reacting to it shows it works on a psychological level as they fear missing it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Eir_S

"Pancakes or waffles?"

"Yes"

Yeah, I was instantly confused and then busted out laughing when I saw the poll. I guess it would be a "Yes" I think content should be permanent or temporary oO... I'm not sure what the alternative is. 

Q: "Is it permanent or temporary?"

A: "It's somewhere in between actually, it's only available every other sunday..."

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/livingworld/flameandfrost/I-dislike-temproary-content/first

I'm trying to understand why they would waste time on temporary content like this.  Shouldn't they be adding content to the game to expand it?  I understand that they want to keep the world evolving, but Flame & Frost has taken too long and if this is what we can expect with the Living Stories in the future, then it's not worth the time and resources, in my opinion.  I would rather see large updates that are permanent, such as Fractals and Southsun Cove.

EDIT: Failed Poll.  I realized my mistake. Haha. :)  It won't let me edit the poll either., so just ignore it. ;p

fail poll.

but Anet does all the temporary stuff to make players feel like they need to play the game.  if something is 'Limited time only' more people are likely to get back into the game and try it out.  Anet hopes those players will in turn play the game longer and buy more gems.

Originally posted by muffins89

fail poll.

but Anet does all the temporary stuff to make players feel like they need to play the game.  if something is 'Limited time only' more people are likely to get back into the game and try it out.  Anet hopes those players will in turn play the game longer and buy more gems.

Yep, it's good business sense. With that sense of urgency and fear of loss players are more likely to log in and if done every so often it will keep them loging in. 

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

I sort of like that there is temporary stuff. I mean, it creates a sense of history to the game world. If the story line is to progress and the defeat of the dungeon is a plot point, then it makes sense that, once the next part of the story is introduced, the dungeon has been 'defeated' and thus no cause/reason to keep it around. If the story moves forward that the Weapons Lab was destroyed, then it should be...destroyed.

On the other end of the spectrum, look at WoW with the Cataclysm. You see all this change in the game world and then you go to Outland or Northrend and the story is essentially frozen in time. On one continent, the Lich King is defeated and life has moved forward and on the other, he is still a threat to life everywhere. This is not to hate on WoW, so hopefully it doesn't devolve to that, but just illustrating what I see as a flaw of permanent storyline fixtures.

Naturally, this means that not every person can do every little bit of content, but for me, I know that I play casually and that, realisticly, I probably wouldn't get to everything anyhow so missing something isn't a big deal to me and I take it as I said: a world with some history (that I may or may not have particpated in). Different strokes for different folks though. I can understand the other side of the coin, I just find the termporary nature of the content refreshing.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I like it being temporary, helps with the feeling that the world is alive and stuff.

I was a bit suprised at the rather short amount of time it will be available though considering it's size.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I liked the initial scenery before they went in,the characters and gear look ok,textures are good,the drill machine was a nice touch,everything else looked weak.

To the question of "do they need this type of content" of course they need to do temp content.

This is what you guys wanted and praised and asked for,this is what Dynamic content is,so why would you question it now?It is the same as Halloween or Christmas events.

He did however say you could go back in and farm the nodes,so again really pushing the term Dynamic closer to  static content.Actually the content that is phased is 90% just the npc's but like i said they did add that drill machine which was cool and having the molten rocks burn you was a nice added touch as well.So they do some good and some cheap 50/50 split on game design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Makes perfect sense to me! Temporary content leads to cash shop spikes (get em’ before there gone mentality). ANet has no plans on making GW2 anything but a short term game with high turnover, they could care less about keeping players long term. Just get em into the cash shop, get them to bust out their wallets, then try to get em back with the next temp content, what you do in between isn’t their concern.

For all you that adore B2P/f2P, enjoy, this is what you get, exactly what you pay for.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by steelwind

Makes perfect sense to me! Temporary content leads to cash shop spikes (get em’ before there gone mentality). ANet has no plans on making GW2 anything but a short term game with high turnover, they could care less about keeping players long term. Just get em into the cash shop, get them to bust out their wallets, then try to get em back with the next temp content, what you do in between isn’t their concern.

For all you that adore B2P/f2P, enjoy, this is what you get, exactly what you pay for.

curious what differn't things did i get from Rift or WoW for all those years of subs I payed.. this really has nothing to do with payment model its just the type of game it is.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    I like that GW2 has one time events and temporary stuff. It's so much better than the static bull drekk that has plagued the MMO industrly it actually makes the world feel alive. If you miss it you miss it.  If there's one thing that GW2 is doing right it is keeping the content coming.
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

curious what differn't things did i get from Rift or WoW for all those years of subs I payed.. this really has nothing to do with payment model its just the type of game it is.. 

Well Rift had more perminant updates than any game to date, so there's that. Wow..... well it's Blizzard and they do whatever they hell they want cuz they can.

The only reason I felt compelled to respond to this since I no longer play GW2, because this was the reason I originally left the game back in January. The writing was on the wall for me and seeing this so many months later just validated my feelings I had then. I couldn't imagine still playing basically the same content I did since August once the temp content evaporates.

To me the temp content is directly related to the payment model and is also why most feel GW2 cannot be played as a main MMO. While to you it may not seem related but it is painfully obvious to me.

Well Rift had more perminant updates than any game to date, so there's that. Wow..... well it's Blizzard and they do whatever they hell they want cuz they can.

The only reason I felt compelled to respond to this since I no longer play GW2, because this was the reason I originally left the game back in January. The writing was on the wall for me and seeing this so many months later just validated my feelings I had then. I couldn't imagine still playing basically the same content I did since August once the temp content evaporates.

To me the temp content is directly related to the payment model and is also why most feel GW2 cannot be played as a main MMO. While to you it may not seem related but it is painfully obvious to me.

every couple months Rift had their big event updates while they did add new stuff they also had their one-time couple week long events that had differn't themed Rifts/invasion and all those special NPCs and venders in the cities.. all temporary so don't see how it's any differn't.. Every patch gw2 adds temporary and permanent things to the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Ultima Online did the same thing and it was a pay to play MMO. One time events would be ran by GMs and later EM staff, once it was done it was done and the rewards given were not given out again most of the time. It didn't run for a month, it didn't run for a week, it was one and done. 

every couple months Rift had their big event updates while they did add new stuff they also had their one-time couple week long events that had differn't Rifts and all those special NPCs and venders in the cities.. all temporary so don't see how it's any differn't.. Every patch gw2 adds temporary and permanent things to the game

Not to derail this thread but Rifts events nearly ALWAYS included perminant content and new game features (new island, pvp rifts, instant adventure, fishing, chronicles, new dungeons, new raids,etc,etc) The events ran in conjunction but pretty much always had lasting content or new features.

If I had to guess, GW2 is more like 80% temporary, 20% perm but hey if thats what floats your boat, then by all means. I do have enough experience with MMOs to know that what some find fun others may not.

every couple months Rift had their big event updates while they did add new stuff they also had their one-time couple week long events that had differn't Rifts and all those special NPCs and venders in the cities.. all temporary so don't see how it's any differn't.. Every patch gw2 adds temporary and permanent things to the game

Not to derail this thread but Rifts events nearly ALWAYS included perminant content and new game features (new island, pvp rifts, instant adventure, fishing, chronicles, new dungeons, new raids,etc,etc) The events ran in conjunction but pretty much always had lasting content or new features.

If I had to guess, GW2 is more like 80% temporary, 20% perm but hey if thats what floats your boat, then by all means. I do have enough experience with MMOs to know that what some find fun others may not.

gotta look at the timeframes.. Rifts big patches were every 3-4 months for those big content updates.. gw2 is doing patches every single month.. so add up 3 months of gw2 patches and you are getting a lot of permanent stuff plus all the temporary stuff... gw2 is unique though as to date i have never seen a MMO release stuff this fast and especially unheard of for a non-sub based game

after doing the dungeon while it was great i don't think it makes any sense to keep it permanently it just doesn't make any sense at all when they are trying to do an evolving story... if it was there forever the story would be stuck and never evolve.. this sort of stuff cannot be permanent imho.. UNLESS they put in a asura machine somewhare that rips a fabric in space and allows you to relive events from the past and lets you do any past content.. that would be cool and would keep everything around forever