Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Housing = which games offer this?

mappammappam Member UncommonPosts: 31

If this is a dup of another thread I am sorry - I posted and it did Not show up.

My question is = I LOVE games with housing - the best (so far for me) is EQ2. My main is a carpenter and can make most of the furinshings etc for her homes.

BUT I have overdone EQ2 for the time being and am looking for a new game to get into.

I DON'T like the ones (like Vanguard) where you have to buy a plot of land (very expensive and hard to find) and then it takes a LOT of coin and time to build a home. Furnishing are usually hard to place or non-existant. PLUS if you DO NOT use it for awhile it is taken away along with all of your 'stuff'!

I have had EQ2 since it first came out and I still have all of my original homes - yes I may owe "rent" but all of my items and housing are still available to me.

Any suggestions for a different game with good housing and crafting? I feel like I am missing something that may be 'out there' but after reading about lots of game I am not finding it.

THANKS in advance for any and all info or suggestions! - - - Pam

I live in my own little world - I like it there - everyone knows me.

Comments

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

You could try lord of the rings online which has houses you can decorate but I think the whole system is a little simpler than EQ2.It's free to play so you could give it a try and see if you enjoy it or not.
    From what I heard rift also added housing but I didn't played it lately so I can't say more about it.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Hmm ones I know with housing of some kind

EQ2 - I know you allready said it, just going through my list

VG - I didn't like it much either, too limited

DCUO - new haven't tried it

Rift- haven't tried it, they have item limits like EQ2 I'm told though

EQ - farily similar to EQ2 it seems

Ryzom - just a storage, cant' build anything, no decorating.

Istaria - you may not like this.  You have a plot, lots of them around, but expensive.  Hundreds and hundreds of things you can build form houses, to guild houses to crafting machines, to silo's to libraries to plants and floors and gazebos...  but other than plants and banners no decorations, no chairs or tables, nothing.  The crafting is one of the best out there, you can literatlly learn everything and it will take you years to do it, everything is crafted but it is pretty grindy. And their are dragon lairs you can build as well.

Atitd - crafting game.

Hmm thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • mappammappam Member UncommonPosts: 31

Thanks so much for the info!

I do have RIFT but have not played it in ages - when I last played it did NOT have any housing - I will look into this.

I also have Lord - again the last time I played I don't remember it having housing. Again I will look into this.

I REALLY want to get back into a virtual world BUT I don't always have the time to join groups or long missions. Housing and crafting let me play and quit in a minute if I have to. I run a small business from home and sometimes need to just log out in a hurry. Not fair to other players to leave them in the middle of a quest etc.

THANKS again - I will now go (back) and look at Rift and LOTR (I have a lifetime membership to this one LOL).

Pam

I live in my own little world - I like it there - everyone knows me.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The defunct swg would be the best example of housing.

The best still alive mmo version would be daoc
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Not released yet but you might want to take a look at WildStar Housing: Dev Speak

Look beyond the cartoony look, I know it was the first thing that set me off from the game untill I read and viewed more about it. And I became very intrested in the game.

Äpart from that the suggestion posted already give OP some good housing options to be able to play now. (RIP-SWG)

Yeah but its just instanced

No making a village with your guild mates with your own bank and stores and what have you. That's real housing, housing with a group purpose - like swg and daoc.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

No making a village with your guild mates with your own bank and stores and what have you. That's real housing, housing with a group purpose - like swg and daoc.

You can do that in Istaria.

No doubt, was just commenting on the supposedly sandbox housing of wildstar.

You've got stuff like uo and lotro let's you make a village too.
  • In Camelot Unchained, you'll be able to build your own house (and more). It won't be out for another two years, though.

CU construction prototype: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miG2VsFCroc

Crafting will have a huge role in this game. Provided it gets funded within the next 48 hours on kickstarter, that is.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Didnt Aion add it?
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    It's not out yet (beta starts on saturday) but origins of malu looks to promise one of the most free form, unique housing systems in an MMO yet. It's also not instanced.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

May be the devs don't want to deal with the virtual ghetto problem, so famously demonstrated by UO.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

May be the devs don't want to deal with the virtual ghetto problem, so famously demonstrated by UO.

What problem is that? I've never heard anybody say anything bad about the UO housing system. As with almost everything in UO, they were the first to do it and probably still the best.

• ArcheAge will also offer player housing.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

OP, Rift's housing is fabulous.

There are ~14 personal dimensions available since November, plus 5 guild dimensions. Some locations provide an environment plus structure to decorate or build upon, while others give you just an environment to spark imagination. There are already hundreds (thousands?) of building/decorating items in game with more coming; some are sold by NPCs, some are only available from fishing, others drop from instances/raids/rifts.

You can make your dimension private or public, and there are even leaderboards and ways for players to show their enjoyment of your creations. For many dimensioneers, it has become our end game. :)

Edit: You get your first dimension for free at about level 7. So if your character is higher than that, you can find the Dimension Engineer in a capital city to start the brief quest chain and get yours.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

I truly wish some game would just whole heartedly steal/beg/buy Istaria's Crafting systems and how it itegrated into the world.

Tunnels being dug as a server effort to unlock Race expansions. Bridges to open up new housing areas. House plot crafting only rivalled in SWG. Dragon lairs as underground, and even built into a cliff face.

Originally posted by Jaedor

There are ~14 personal dimensions available since November, plus 5 guild dimensions. Some locations provide an environment plus structure to decorate or build upon, while others give you just an environment to spark imagination. There are already hundreds (thousands?) of building/decorating items in game with more coming; some are sold by NPCs, some are only available from fishing, others drop from instances/raids/rifts.

You can make your dimension private or public, and there are even leaderboards and ways for players to show their enjoyment of your creations. For many dimensioneers, it has become our end game. :)

Edit: You get your first dimension for free at about level 7. So if your character is higher than that, you can find the Dimension Engineer in a capital city to start the brief quest chain and get yours.

Any idea what the item limit is?

IF it is a lot, great.  EQ2 at 1100, wasn't enough for me to do what I wanted.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

You can try Mabinogi. I just started playing and have not gotten very far into the game yet, but from what I understand there is housing, farming, and a crap load of other non combat stuff to do. They have part time jobs as well hahaha! 

So far I am enjoying the game! 

Originally posted by JeremyBowyer

What problem is that? I've never heard anybody say anything bad about the UO housing system. As with almost everything in UO, they were the first to do it and probably still the best.

This one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Ultima_Online#Housing

And i quote:

"By the time Trammel was introduced, there was little land for housing. Vast amounts of wilderness were covered, making places intended to be “wild” into cities"

"Several worlds were created without the ability to have houses built within them to protect their atmosphere from becoming another city"

"Many subsequent MMORPGs used instancing for housing or simply did not provide it at all"

This one:

And i quote:

"By the time Trammel was introduced, there was little land for housing. Vast amounts of wilderness were covered, making places intended to be “wild” into cities"

"Several worlds were created without the ability to have houses built within them to protect their atmosphere from becoming another city"

"Many subsequent MMORPGs used instancing for housing or simply did not provide it at all"

There's just no accounting for taste there I guess. Most people find that to be a good thing. Real estate mattered.  You couldn't just get a house by hitting a certain level and going through the npc "house quest" and then *poof* you have a house.

This one:

And i quote:

There's just no accounting for taste there I guess. Most people find that to be a good thing. Real estate mattered.  You couldn't just get a house by hitting a certain level and going through the npc "house quest" and then *poof* you have a house.

Preferences obviously differ from people.

But it was such a non-preferred thing for so many that devs have to take action like ""several worlds were created without the ability to have houses built within them to protect their atmosphere from becoming another city"

That's not related to instancing though. They were adding other worlds anyway in the form of expansions. They didn't add instancing, they just restricted housing. I don't have a problem with restricting it in certain places. They already did that in UO from the start. You couldn't place in guard zones or in dungeons or on uneven terrain.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Any idea what the item limit is?

IF it is a lot, great.  EQ2 at 1100, wasn't enough for me to do what I wanted.

In RIFT you can up-gread the item limit.

I have done the housing in both EQ2 and RIFT, RIFT is much like EQ2 put with the options we wished for in EQ2.

For example: you can turn an item, even upside-down in RIFT, 360 in all directions (Edit: It seems EQ2 has added this option as well. see: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/update-notes-tuesday-april-30-2013-scars-of-the-awakened.534718/ )

I saved up and got the bigest home, and built (as in I crafted the walls and floors) a 4-5 floor tower.

Edit: 

P.S. 

Dragon's Prophet, from SOE will also have housing and will use station cash for some stuff, so if you put real money in EQ2 it can be used in this one as well.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Villagers and Heroes has a very Harvest Moon like housing system/neighborhood system.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--