Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Open Beta Kicks Off

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cryptic Studios & Perfect World Entertainment are inviting everyone to partake in the goodness of the Neverwinter open beta that officially kicked off today at 9:00 a.m. PDT. If you haven't yet, be sure to swing by the Neverwinter site to get started!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Not really kicking off at the moment. Too many players trying to logon to Neverwinter and all Cryptic launchers are broken now *LOL*

• moldrathmoldrath Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Loading...please wait. Been waiting for 30 minutes.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    downloading now, seems to be going fine. Hope I'll get to play when it's done!
  • DeshaneDeshane Member Posts: 11

white blank on launcher...

i hope they fix it soon :)

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    And let the mass of bashing threads begin...
  • NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53
    This type of thing happens to at least 90% of MMO launches. It shouldn't really be all that surprising anymore.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by furbans

Well they have 3 servers to help try and alleviate this, yet it's still broken.  This isn't their first rodeo.  I expect them to handle this better.  Not a big deal, but I'm not going to pat them on the back and say it's okay.

No was more of bashing of the game as we all know with every open access or launches there are way more negativity than positive threads regardless of the game.  Assuming that anyone will have access to the game with an open beta.

*readies some popcorn*

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Well they have 3 servers to help try and alleviate this, yet it's still broken.  This isn't their first rodeo.  I expect them to handle this better.  Not a big deal, but I'm not going to pat them on the back and say it's okay.

I said it already in another thread. Anyone that has been playing STO since launch can tell you they are not!

It was a shambles with STO launch.

It was a shambles with STO F2P launch.

It was a shambles with pretty much every new STO season content release.

Their login servers cannot cope with high(er) load! Never have and never will! As they refuse to invest.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Nyrrho
    This type of thing happens to at least 90% of MMO launches. It shouldn't really be all that surprising anymore.

It's not surprising.. but it's still rubbish.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Nyrrho

What bout Rift or SWTOR or TSW or TERA or GW2?  I thought for the past few years companies have started to get smooth launches down pat.  SWTOR maybe not since I seem to recalle the nerd rage threads but then again you had millions trying to get in and there were 30min+ queues going on.  But for the most part I thought that smooth launches have become a pretty standard thing.

• moldrathmoldrath Member UncommonPosts: 17

I have no intention of leaving any bshing remarks. This happens to all MMO's on opening day, and some for even longer. Anyone who bashes it for having a few bugs during open beta isnt realistc.

Originally posted by moldrath

I have no intention of leaving any bshing remarks. This happens to all MMO's on opening day, and some for even longer. Anyone who bashes it for having a few bugs during open beta isnt realistc.

Not on bugs, just general bashing of the game "NWO is a FAIL LOLOLOL" kind of threads.

What surprises me is how the companies launching these games don't expect to get bombarded with network traffic when they release a game, which basically tells thousands of people to log on at a specific time.

Originally posted by moldrath

The key difference here is, it's not a new launch for Cryptic.

All their games run on the same infrastructure. All use the same Front End (Login servers) and back end.

Hence, why ALL their games are inaccessable  now. CO, STO and NW.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Well, considering this game has about as much to do with Dungeons & Dragons as the D&D movie did (and is much less entertaining to boot)...

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

"Cryptic Error: Oops!" :) They have humor but unfortunately not the capabilities for smooth launch.

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148

Whoo-Hoo...

I'm in, but the game is running slower than snail snot. The Lag is through the roof so your not missing too much...

No was more of bashing of the game as we all know with every open access or launches there are way more negativity than positive threads regardless of the game.  Assuming that anyone will have access to the game with an open beta.

*readies some popcorn*

Originally posted by JeroKane

I said it already in another thread. Anyone that has been playing STO since launch can tell you they are not!

Their login servers cannot cope with high(er) load! Never have and never will! As they refuse to invest.

Yeah, I agree with both of you.  I play STO as well, while not there on launch day I do experience some horrible server performance sometimes.  I experience this in NWO while testing too.  It all got chalked up to being a beta, but my experience says otherwise.

It'll smooth out eventually, I hope.

That's why I bought the Guardian pack, as it had ok stuff in it. Played the game the last couple days.

I knew this was going to happen. So already prepared to take a break from the game today.

In a week or so, when enough people have gotten fed up trying to get in and the login servers have settled down again... I'll come back again.

• GonmaxGonmax Member UncommonPosts: 2
    As usual on launch day. -_-
  • MaissonMaisson Member UncommonPosts: 29

It's not launch day, it's open beta which means the public gets to test and provide feedback. The issue whith people not being able to log in is a good thing to discover now in beta then when released as a final product. Even though they will not wipe any created characters, it's still advertised as beta. They can not be blamed for a bad launch since technically it has not launched as a final product.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    BTW do we need to re download the game or is the beta client ok ?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

*readies some popcorn*

Yeah, I agree with both of you.  I play STO as well, while not there on launch day I do experience some horrible server performance sometimes.  I experience this in NWO while testing too.  It all got chalked up to being a beta, but my experience says otherwise.

It'll smooth out eventually, I hope.

That's why I bought the Guardian pack, as it had ok stuff in it. Played the game the last couple days.

I knew this was going to happen. So already prepared to take a break from the game today.

In a week or so, when enough people have gotten fed up trying to get in and the login servers have settled down again... I'll come back again.

I congratulate you sir for seeing this for what it is and acting as any sane, rational human being should.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

I'm of the view that they shouldn't even bother trying to fix issues like this on launch days. Everyone knows in the following days the game will have population drops to balance out, so why try to get the tech at all to cope with massive amounts of people who are only trying to jump on the bandwagon while the game is "new & shiney" with no long term commitment to the game.

They are the very same players who race to forums to complain about some sort of imaginary entitlement they have to be allowed to play these games "naow!" It's an MMO launch, & one that is still technically in beta, so people need to get a reality check & accept that this happens and stop the whining.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    My only complaint is they used a really outdated installation program. Hopefully in the future they update to a better one.

Smile