Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 talk w Kyle "Kander" Vallee and hints of fall expansion

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

eq2wire gives a good summary -  im posting a part of it

http://eq2wire.com/2013/04/29/eq2talk-episode-63-candid-kander/

All comments below are paraphrased from Kander's comments in the 1 hour 40 min podcast. Any errors in meaning are the fault of the editor.

Stat Consolidation

• If there is one thing Kander could go back and change about EQ2, he would never have gone along with Stat Consolidation (where each class has just one primary stat and then Stamina for increasing health).  The different benefits you got from each stat were some of the "meat and bones" of EQ2 and chasing different stats and having to make choices on which gear you equip added a lot of depth. We had a lot more choice itemization-wise. For example, building up Intelligence to increase poison damage for scouts.
  • As far as Stat Consolidation, we're actually planning to head back in that direction as far as the next expansion to provide more choices. Right now, itemization feels a little bit stale. Players should need to think about their gear.

Comments

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Funny that you post this, I was just thinking about how EQ2 was the only MMO I've ever played where I wouldn't blindly equip upgrades because they had a higher item level or power tier.  Unfortunately that started to slip around the time they put in diminishing returns.  Apparently I left before they consolidated stats, or I just don't remember them doing it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

it happened 2 years ago - w GU 59, DOV

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/GU59

everyone was reduced to a primary stat and STA

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

While i miss  been able to customize my toon with stats i do remember there been serious loot fights  because of everyone saying they needed that particular item to increase so and so stat .

mind you i be happy to go back to the old ways

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    i would love to see a return to the old system or at least some semblance of it. multiple needed stats does provide more depth and its fun and i miss it.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

There was some downside to the old stat system however.  I played a pally for years and one of the issues he had compared to Warriors was that they didn't have to worry about Int at all where it made up a huge part of the crusaders DPS.  This made it hard from a min/max point of view to compare them favorably in end game content.  I won't say it was the removing of stats alone that put crusaders on par with warriors but it was part of the equation for sure.

All the hybrid classes suffered under the old system not just crusaders either.

Not that I think removing them completely was the answer but at the very least each archtype should share a common pool even if it's broader than current.  For instance if all fighters got strikethrough out int and resists out of wis that would at least make those stats something to consider assuming they where not trivial to cap in other ways.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    I used to love being in the mage group as a Shadowknight wearing cloth armour for the DPS

Killing dragons is my shit

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

TOV itemization interview

http://eq2wire.com/2013/11/10/eq2wire-tears-of-veeshan-interview-turning-the-corner-on-itemization/

If you’ve developed tunnel vision when shopping for item upgrades, glancing only at Stamina and Main Stats (Int/Wis/Str/Agi), you’ll likely do a double take when first encountering Tears of Veeshan items.

There are some big changes in ToV to be sure, and stats vital to the success of each class no longer flow like water. In a way, items have become raw materials for getting the Stats a player wants. Potency, previously a “gimme” stat appearing automatically on every item is now scarce. In case there was any doubt, Reforging will now be a necessity for all play styles rather than the plaything of hardcore players.

With the removal of class restrictions from nearly all gear (items are now restricted only to the material type: Cloth, Leather, Chain, and Plate) an item that might’ve easily been dismissed as “chain healer only” in the past may actually be an upgrade for the eagle-eyed scout who looks past the base numbers to see the item’s potential. It wasn’t that long ago that Rangers and Assassins dabbled in Mage gear for the intelligence boost to poison damage, so it will be interesting to see just how flexible this brave new world of itemization is.

Itemization Magna Carta

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/itemization-magna-carta.541248/