Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Learning About Game Development From CU

dantheman13dantheman13 Member UncommonPosts: 55
It appears that Camelot Unchained's development model, particularly their promise that Backers are going to have some say in how the game is developed, could provide an interesting experience for anyone wanting to learn more about game development in general.  I myself am in the Internal Testing, and I have already participated in the engine/network demo, which was a unique and interesting experience for me.  Do you think that this project will be educational for folks who want to learn more about game development?

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I admit that development of video games interests me more than actually playing them. I love this CU KS as we get to see the earliest possible moments of the game's development. For some reason this isn't interesting for many who would rather see a fake demo on a game engine they won't even use on release ... but as long as it's pretty.

Every single issue players have been complaining about over the last few years is being addressed here. CSE is making a custom engine early and developing the entire game around it. They are listening to customer feedback early. They are opening testing at the earliest possible time to test the most fundamental systems of the game. NO other company has done this other than most obscure 3rd party games trying to make games nowhere near AAA quality. For some reason though many can't understand why this is revolutionary and important.

Evidently they should have wasted time making animations they may not keep, models they may not keep and slap it on a Unity tech demo that reveals absolutely nothing of what will actually be in game at release ... but at least pretty stuff would be on a screen and make certain people pledge.

You stay sassy!

• NcrediblebulkNcrediblebulk Member UncommonPosts: 138

I hope so. The fact they had to rename access to the actual Alpha state of the game, to Internal Testing, because too many people think the alpha/beta testing we get these days is, from a development standpoint, actually alpha/beta when most games which give access to testers is clearly still in a pure alpha form. A beta is supposed to have all design systems implemented and frankly it just doesn't happen anymore. We get access to alphas most of the time and most games are forced to launch in a late alpha state missing entire planned systems. An example would be Darkfall Unholy Wars launching with out dungeons, the other 2 class ability sets, and an AH/Market system. Now there are many reasons games are forced to launch early but the biggest is usually money. Games have become so expensive to make they get to a point where they have to be released from a publisher point of view. Because CSE wants to get testers in so early I'm sure there are people who bought tiers which will grant them access to a game that isn't fully fleshed out and they will either quit or realize it's part of the development process and help test (they could just care and tollerate the lack of polish and just play the game like so many testers do these days).

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

• NegativeXNegativeX Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by dantheman13
    It appears that Camelot Unchained's development model, particularly their promise that Backers are going to have some say in how the game is developed, could provide an interesting experience for anyone wanting to learn more about game development in general.  I myself am in the Internal Testing, and I have already participated in the engine/network demo, which was a unique and interesting experience for me.  Do you think that this project will be educational for folks who want to learn more about game development?

You're in for a treat my friend. Just playing the tech demo is barely scratching the surface, when it comes to internal development and working with the development team on creating such a project.

I look forward to working with you. :)

Camelot Unchained Fanpage

https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• MC_LaggMasterMC_LaggMaster Member Posts: 36
    Can't wait to see what they have done 6 weeks after it has funded.