Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character Creation

emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Not going to get in on the wow discussion.  FFXIV does and always has had differences.  Some good, some bad.  Can't go in to that, but I would love to go in to character creation.

Character creation.  First you get to select a few of your favorite ffxi races, but that is all you get to select.  Maybe a new race will be added later but I don't have my hopes up.  As for the options of boobs, face structure, eyebrows, height, who the hell cares, didn't I mention the same races.  Well, maybe you can make your character look like something else, or give it at least a sad face or maybe some huge  battle wounds, a mutated arm or a peg leg, nope, well you can get a tail.....  All characters look like hello kitty happy land, its not like TESO or WoW where you can make yourself scruffy, pissed at the world, no emos, no elderly.  You can pick your voice though, you can choose no flavor at all, no accent unless you choose high pitched squeeling, or low happy grunting.  Want to look or sound like Barrett Wallace or Cid from ffIII nope not happening, well maybe if Barrett went to anger management.  I guess if you have played any of the final fantasy games after x, you will relate to the characters.  I guess the good thing is that the world will be full of beautiful people not over the age of 20 and always in a good mood.  I guess that is a true fantasy.

Comments

• kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Character creation made me disapoint. No sliders. I logged in as a kitty and discovered 20 other kitties that looked exactly like me right down to color. You can find better hairstyles in free games as well. Apparently none of the races approve of hair longer than shoulder length.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by kiraveli
    Character creation made me disapoint. No sliders. I logged in as a kitty and discovered 20 other kitties that looked exactly like me right down to color. You can find better hairstyles in free games as well. Apparently none of the races approve of hair longer than shoulder length.

yea was very dissapointed as well.. there's a pretty decent amount of actual options but nothing really makes a huge difference and overall you see clones all over which is a big turn off for me:(

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• robrose89robrose89 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    There will be more hair styles at release, along with other customizable options.
  • RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

sure, no sliders, but i prefer to have limited options and can see 100 players around me like this game is capable right now.

More character customization -> more stress to load every one character. So i like how it is right now, and see like 100+ characters around me instead ghost towns. If you know a little about game developtment, every option affect server loads and directly number of characters aviable to show.

01: character race

0001: character hair

010: character face

1000: hair color

etc etc etc etc

slider options are like 256 options per option... so 256 = 2^8   -> 00000001 for hair..  I know you all want to customize your character like MMO are single player games. but your character info is needed to send to every player around you. and i prefer to have a decent balance between character customization and server load instead to have a character with a unique purple hair color and see 10 players around me.

• emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Yes they aren't done yet, but they arent really working on anything that makes a huge difference.  If I am a damage dealer kicking @ss, I want to look like a bad mother #$@^er.  If I am healer, maybe I want to look pure.  But nothing really changes the mood of your character, its always happy.  There is no scary, anger, sad, dark, violent, creepy, silly, shy, coy.  Maybe that is whats missing, emotion pallettes.  This along with no aging and nothing really out of the ordinary in characters.  The cat people in eq look like a cat.  Not humans with painted faces.  The dwarves and gnomes in WoW, look like dwarves and gnomes, not little people.  No werewolves, gremlins, bears (well galka is close), even the sasquatch from vi or the floppy ears from 12. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

sure, no sliders, but i prefer to have limited options and can see 100 players around me like this game is capable right now.

More character customization -> more stress to load every one character. So i like how it is right now, and see like 100+ characters around me instead ghost towns. If you know a little about game developtment, every option affect server loads and directly number of characters aviable to show.

01: character race

0001: character hair

010: character face

1000: hair color

etc etc etc etc

slider options are like 256 options per option... so 256 = 2^8   -> 00000001 for hair..  I know you all want to customize your character like MMO are single player games. but your character info is needed to send to every player around you. and i prefer to have a decent balance between character customization and server load instead to have a character with a unique purple hair color and see 10 players around me.

while it does obviously help in the framerate department if the engine is built for it, it can easily handle any variation of models and still do large scale combat just fine.. look at games like Aion.. huge battles with tons of characters on screen and that game let you do pretty much anything you wanted with the CC.. games like city of heroes same thing support for a lot of characters and everything from tiny to massive characters.. me personally just getting tired of MMO after MMO looking like every single person around me

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Playstation 3 can't handle many different characters and sliders, thats why its like this.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I've yet to find anyone that looks like my Lalafel, Male Miqote and Female Miqote.  Though I tend to go for rather odd looking characters, perhaps brought out by my eccentric nature.  As a whole I've seen worse, and there are quite a few options locked or not in at the moment.

It may be that there are actually a few less options when it comes to hair styles (when compared to 1.0); I distinctly remember being able to tell the system which side you want your hair parted.  Like if your hair hangs down on one side, you were able to switch sides and dye that strip (which might've been a part of the highlight option).

Maybe it's not in yet.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

we are getting sliders and alot more color options by release i think

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    from what i've heard there will be more options at release; however dont expect  mohawks on Lalafells or anything that would detract from the "FF art style" as it's not in the nature of SqEnix to put things like that in.  this to me isnt bad because it does keep the game from feeling "non FF".  i would like more options, the more the better, but they have to be "final fantasy" looking.  which i'm sure they will do.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by emperorhades1Want to look or sound like Barrett Wallace or Cid from ffIII nope not happening, well maybe if Barrett went to anger management.  I guess if you have played any of the final fantasy games after x, you will relate to the characters.

Hey Final Fantasy may have gone down hill with XIII but in XII Basch was quite gruffy and dirty(until he got healthy again) after you rescue him and he at least has his scar even after being cleaned up.

People complain about XII but in my opinion its combat system was the best of both worlds you could run out of the way for area of effect attacks keep your healer in the background so they do not have as much aggro and when ever you hit X the game would freeze and give you time to breath and plan your next move. Then for the more intense action gameplay players you could turn realtime combat off and not give your self a break at all. This is totally off topic but just my opinion of what I thought to be a great game people overlook. Lots of people complain about Vaan, like seriously? He was probably the most realistic main character in a Final Fantasy game I can think of he wasn't some bad ass emo with a massive sword or renowned thief who kidnaps a princess he was just some regular kid who ended up being in the wrong place at the wrong time and got dragged along for the ride.

PS. I Hate! Memory cards lost mine right before I got to fight Yiazamat image

Back on topic at least there is no longer gender locking I was quite mad you could not play as a male miqo'te when it originally launched so I'm sort of glad the game ended up being crap and they had to redo it, gave them plenty of time to change things. Also I love how they hid the boob size under the facial options if your gonna have boob control at least be upfront about it just turns it into an even bigger joke when they hide it.

Final Fantasy has always had very good looking characters it just could never be portrayed very well outside concept art until the past 10 years or so. If a game was full of Stieners people would probably complain. LOL

• tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95

Let's be honest about sliders. They are only worthwhile if you want to make a super deformed character. Otherwise what do you do? Change you width of your nose from 50 to 38? The slight modifcations FEEL nice I agree, but honestly make little difference.

Especially once you consider that you spend 80% of your game time looking at the back of your character and 50% of the other 20% with a helmet on.

As long as there are  varied looks in the presets, I'm all good.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I would have been disapoint, but my char looks hawt, so I'll let it slide.
  • striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    My only gripe is the serious lack of a booty on any of the race's females, serious pancake ass.
  • David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by itchmon
    from what i've heard there will be more options at release; however dont expect  mohawks on Lalafells or anything that would detract from the "FF art style" as it's not in the nature of SqEnix to put things like that in.  this to me isnt bad because it does keep the game from feeling "non FF".  i would like more options, the more the better, but they have to be "final fantasy" looking.  which i'm sure they will do.

Agreed, although governed sliders would be nice.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I just know i love the female miqote walk, its just so pimp and sexy the way they walk.
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    You should see them blow kisses

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya
    You should see them blow kisses

For me it's the Air Quote emote. I kid you not I nearly fell out my chair laughing the first time I saw it in FFXIV 1.0. Glad to see it made it back with ARR.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.