Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No signal

MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
Turn computer on, gets to windows load screen and then screen goes black and monitor says no signal, computer stays on. Who's got the answer ? I know it could be a lot of things, just want some input from you guys.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

It could be that either end of the monitor cable is loose, or the video card is loose in its PCI Express slot.  It could also be that the monitor, monitor cable, video card, or motherboard are defective or failing, though the monitor or monitor cable aren't likely culprits if it reliably gets to the Windows login screen before going black.  Exactly what hardware do you have, anyway?

Also, if you get to the Windows login screen before it goes black, what happens if you proceed to type in your login password?  Does it make noise like it's a normal login, so that you know that it's purely a display problem?  Or could it be that the computer itself is locking up and no longer passing anything to the video card to display?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think there are 3 possibilites.  Your comp is defaulting to integrated graphics instead of discrete graphics.  Your video card does not have enough power.  The cable from your PC to your Monitor is no good.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Makidian
    Turn computer on, gets to windows load screen and then screen goes black and monitor says no signal, computer stays on. Who's got the answer ? I know it could be a lot of things, just want some input from you guys.

Google how to boot up in safe mode for your Operating System and do that.  If the monitor stays on when your in safe mode it could be either a bad video card/power supply, driver issue, or screen resolution is set to high.

If that works set your video display to something low like 800 X 600 and reboot and see if that works.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    got into safe mode but keyboard and mouse dont respond
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    What is the make/model of your motherboard and by chance are the keyboard and mouse USB based?  If they are do you have an old PS/2 keyboard/mouse you can use instead?

cyberpower pc, asrock  z77 extreme4, just got usb mouse and keyboard, when i shut it down in safe mode it sat at the shut down screen and didnt do anything so i had to manually shut down

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Edit:  Site was glitchy/slow.  Double-posted.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

You can get to the Windows loading logo with no issues.  At that point, the system is loading drivers before it sends you to the desktop environment.  I'm guessing your video drivers are not loading correctly.  Try reinstalling them while in safe mode after you get your keyboard and mouse working.  Make sure you are using the right drivers, and you should probably download them fresh from your video card manufacturer. 

What video card do you have?  Which drivers are you trying to use?

Mouse and keyboard support should be handled by the chipset / BIOS.  I'm suspecting a bad motherboard since you posted you have an ASRock.

titan
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    If you're having problems with USB based mouse and keyboards then plug them into the USB ports that are in the same stack as the network port. Those ports are supposed to stay hot in order for the mouse and keyboard to be recognized as early as possible.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

yep did that, mouse and keyboard work, now what do i do lol ?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Post your full system specs, not just a few random things.  In particular, processor, video card, motherboard, memory, case, hard drive, SSD, and power supply.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by syntax42

You can get to the Windows loading logo with no issues.  At that point, the system is loading drivers before it sends you to the desktop environment.  I'm guessing your video drivers are not loading correctly.  Try reinstalling them while in safe mode after you get your keyboard and mouse working.  Make sure you are using the right drivers, and you should probably download them fresh from your video card manufacturer. 

What video card do you have?  Which drivers are you trying to use?

While in Safe Mode with Networking Support. Download drivers for your video card. UNINSTALL the current driver. Then install the recent drivers.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    yay it looks like it worked but now there another prob, it says that my windows is not genuine ???
    had to reactivate my windows key, why would that be ? and thx alot for the help guys everything looks good
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Makidian
    had to reactivate my windows key, why would that be ? and thx alot for the help guys everything looks good

I had the same thing happen to me a month ago or so after a Microsoft patch.  I think they changed something in the activation service.  Feel lucky you only had to reenter your key.  Since I had a upgrade key I had to reinstall windows XP than upgrade to Windows 7 to get it to take my key.

Did all this start after you updated your system?

yea never seen that before