Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who Thinks This Game Is Gonna Fail? It Will Be Dead Within 5-7 Years

Comments

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I suspect ESO will be a themepark version of DFUW. 

Therefore, I suspect it wil do well. However, I prefer DFUW because it feels more like a simulation than a game.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

6 months to a year tops, just like swtor, before people realize it's not a good game and it's the same old, same old.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Unlike the OP who seems mired in a negative attitude, I'll judge the game when it comes out.  On top of that, we've had games not do well at launch turn it around and become much better over the long haul.  Lotro and SWTOR come to mind, especially SWTOR which is really surprising me of late. 
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

If 5-7 years is now a failure, what is a success?  There are only a handful of MMOs that have made it that far and only one people don't consider niche.

I wish they made this game with the same game engine used in Skyrim along with improved graphics, the gameplay would be a lot better.

Graphics and gameplay are not the same thing.  You can have awful graphics and amazing gameplay, and vice versa.

If this is people's views on what an MMO should be graphically before they get upset at it looking awful then I would advise leaving the MMO market for a good many years, until the technology has caught up to your dreams and fell within the price range of the majority of the playerbase.

The game will be a success.  The IP alone should help it push a fair few copies.  I don't think it'll be the WoW level of success but then again I don't think we'll see that again in MMOs for some time.

The only questions really are about the amount of content and how fun it is, neither of which either leaked video showed.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    At this point I think the game has promise but its way to early to call fail or win. 
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by joe2721
    5 to 7 years isn't a bad run for a mmo.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the title lol.  A year or less and then F2P is worse, but even then, most P2P to F2P games are making good $$$.

The game doesn't do anything drastically different than WoW or GW2, and like SWTOR it will probably sell quite a few copies on name recognition alone.  After that, who knows?

Pretty sure that's what the suits are aiming for anyway.

They get the same income from box sales than with a solo game, then anything from subscriptions & cashshop is just a bonus.

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Imperator101

I wish they made this game with the same game engine used in Skyrim along with improved graphics, the gameplay would be a lot better. 

That sentence makes no sense, better graphics do not imply better gameplay in any way, shape or form. 

On top of this having that engine run online would rule out every system below mid-high(+) range and thus greatly reduce their potential customerbase, which no company will ever want to do.

All PVP is being restricted to Cyrodiil, this is why I don't wanna buy this game. I enjoy an MMO that has world pvp all over the world, not restricted to one region within the world. I enjoy pvp in a variety of envionrments, Tamriel is all grasslands/forests along with some snowey areas near Bruma. I hate a MMO which gives me restrictions on where I can do PVP. 

Not a lot of MMO's have fully open PvP you know, mainly due to PvE players and newbie protection. So just like your previous point, this is simply done to appeal to a wider audience, in the hope to get more cash out of pockets.

I do agree though that the extreme area restrictions (in general) in the game are abusrd and not very player friendly at all.

So they are still sticking with this stupid concept? All PVP limited to Cyrodiil? 

YES, yes they are!

Just fyi, just because you do not like it, does not make it "stupid", it makes it "not to your liking".

If you want open world PvP please go find a game that has it, instead of bitching on a game that doesn't have it and (likely) never will.

PS: Have a good day mate ;)

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Originally posted by muffins89
    "if i like it,  it's not a failure"  "if i don't like it,  it's a failure"  - the internet

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I actually think this game will be fairly successful even though I don't like all that I heard about it. It's not the sandbox I have been looking for by any means, but, I think it will be a solid themepark with all the bells and whistles we come to expect from them, although I do think some of the combat features might raise the bar a little bit.
  • AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

I guess the 5-7 years estimate is sarcasm or a typo. Anyway, to the point:

There's no way this game lasts 5 years, not even 1. My estimate is 1-3 months for the initial content package, and I'm being generous. This is because of a simple reason: The design model they've opted for this game, which continues the trend of past mainstream MMOs of offering the public a sort of interactive-movie, solo-friendly arcadeish experience with a slight rp flavour.

This model is not thought for longevity, netiher commitment - in fact it is a model that very well represents the consumerist, instant-gratification, use-and-dispose socio-economic model we currently live in .

Don't get me wrong, they still can come up with a fun, technically solid product for a bit of genuinely irrelevant fun, provided you like this sort of stuff and don't care about the lore alteration and assume this is a spin-off and not a true sequel in terms of design philosophy.

If they wanted a game for the long-term they would have chosen a model with a strong focus on rpg systems, with player run economy and politics (player run factions or, at least, guild or houses that the players can decide to align with or not and with consequences attached to that decision, to put an example that fit the TES tradition), and the so. The thing is that, as we all know,  this design model is a pretty niche one because it requires more intellectual commitment from the player in question (not saying that the majority of the public are stupid, just that they seem to prefer an easy, soothing experience over an immersive one).

Regards

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• ManioxManiox Member Posts: 25

If it's just B2P I can imagine this game being utterly excellent, as a gamer that had never touched the earlier Elder scrolls the open world of Skyrim and the enviroment was amazing.

I can imagine a bunch of dumbasses running around would make it less epic but if they can pull off this kind of enviroment with TESO I will definetely buy it as it was one of the best experiences i've had in gaming. I hope they achieve the same awesomeness of a mostly single player experience and hopefully with your friends.

no i

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Maniox
    If it's just B2P I can imagine this game being utterly excellent,

so if it is a sub model that will make the game not as good? the only model i can see effecting the quality of the game is some sort of restricted F2P model.

but even then, you have the choice to sub, so its a non factor really.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Aker
    Lol at "it will last 1-3 months"

Look at swtor, its rubbish but its still running after 18 months.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Aker

Look at vanguard, the game was a complete debacle and it's still running even after all those years.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The game will sell enough boxes to make up development cost and than some and enough subs to make it Zenimax's most profitable project to date.  Even if it shuts down after 1-2 years I really doubt any of the suits will consider it a failure even if the fan base does.

Success and Failure is all in the eyes of the beholder.

Aker

Mo:

If you're going to "lol", do it at the whole statement . I think I made abundantly clear in my post that I referred to longevity in terms of "worthy content", before it gets iterative. I repeat: due to the design model they've chosen for this game, there's not going to be any posibility for long-run meta-game (this is the one that is created/managed by the players themselves, ala EVE or SWG).

You make it sound like if SWTOR was a success-story when it failed miserabily in meeting its expectations. In fact, it basically flopped after 2 months -I was there, I saw it, I myself quitted after 2 months of the dumbest, lamest MMORPG-abomination experience I've ever have the displeasure of having - I wouldn't have lasted even a week if not for my rp guild.

Well, to be totally fair, one thing that SWTOR taught me is the true motivations of people who stick for a long time in linear, lame themeparks: Compulsive Behaviour, Anxiety and plain Addiction.

Not jesting man, I came accross these polish guys (the nationality is irrelevant btw) for some Heroics and HC Flashpoints. They proposed me to take my gear off (I mean, my character's...) and then run like crazy trying to tackle all the mobs, taking advantage of all the glitches, until the first boss -obviously, the idea was to not to expend a fortune in repairs. Then, after the boss was cleared, rinse and repeat with the next. And then, rinse and repeat with the whole Heroic/Flashpoint again. Objective of this nonsense: to earn maximum credits and badgets in minimum time...

Some may call that fun, I call it mental disorder (with all due respect for people with mental disorders, these guys don't make them honour). Of course, I decided to stop playing pure themeparks from then on.

PD: Sorry about digressing from the topic so much, boring afternoon at work ;)

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Yeah but unlike most of these recent themeparks, TESO has a feature that will provide meta game.

Unfortunately its the one feature everyone is Moaning about.

Mo,

I guess you're talking about the PvP feature in Cyrodiil. To be honest with you, I wouldn't consider it as metagame as:

1) It is going to be 100% combat centric.

2) It is separated from the rest of the world. In fact, I'd say Cydoriil is nothing more than a glorified battleground.

3) Players don't influence politics or economy, possibly the 2 most important driving factors for any war.

Don't take it badly please, it is my educated opinion based on the game-features that have already been announced.

I've been loving TES since Daggerfall and would very much like to be wrong in my opinion. Don't think so though...

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Honestly unless they hit the nail on the head I wouldn't give it more than 5 years.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Akerbeltz

Mo,

I guess you're talking about the PvP feature in Cyrodiil. To be honest with you, I wouldn't consider it as metagame as:

1) It is going to be 100% combat centric.

2) It is separated from the rest of the world. In fact, I'd say Cydoriil is nothing more than a glorified battleground.

3) Players don't influence politics or economy, possibly the 2 most important driving factors for any war.

Don't take it badly please, it is my educated opinion based on the game-features that have already been announced.

I've been loving TES since Daggerfall and would very much like to be wrong in my opinion. Don't think so though...

You have not read much about gear and the crafting system yet have you? 

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

With a name like Elder Scrolls it doesn't really matter how bad it will be as long as it isn't any worse than SWTOR it will be a successful MMO in terms of $$$$

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

All PVP is being restricted to Cyrodiil, this is why I don't wanna buy this game. I enjoy an MMO that has world pvp all over the world, not restricted to one region within the world. I enjoy pvp in a variety of envionrments, Tamriel is all grasslands/forests along with some snowey areas near Bruma. I hate a MMO which gives me restrictions on where I can do PVP. 

So they are still sticking with this stupid concept? All PVP limited to Cyrodiil? 

5-7 years is a great run for a MMO.  Definitely going to be profitable for everyone involved.  Your only gripe is about PvP?  What is with everyone and PvP?  It's a cheap thrill.  Every game has PvP, why not focus on something different?  Is PvP in TESO really going to keep you coming back?

Jeez.. most gamers just have no idea what is good for them..

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by DAS1337

5-7 years is a great run for a MMO.  Definitely going to be profitable for everyone involved.  Your only gripe is about PvP?  What is with everyone and PvP?  It's a cheap thrill.  Every game has PvP, why not focus on something different?  Is PvP in TESO really going to keep you coming back?

Jeez.. most gamers just have no idea what is good for them..

It really depends on what compromises that have to be made to the rest of the game systems to make PVP work.  PVP will affect the way the PVE game works, it already has impacted many of the design decisions that have been made and it will futher impact tunning decisions down the road as the game progresses though beta.  

It remains to be seen if those changes are a net positive or negative to PVE only players but you can't deny they don't exist.

There's the rub.

Half the people against what they are doing with pvp want a totally pve game

The other half want a ffa pvp everywhere game.

They went with a commercial decision to annoy the least amount of players.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    There's the rub.

Half the people against what they are doing with pvp want a totally pve game

The other half want a ffa pvp everywhere game.

They went with a commercial decision to annoy the least amount of players.

This is exactly why I think that Elder Scrolls was a poor choice to make into an MMO. There are way too many expectations and the Dev's will not be able to please the Fans. I think there were better games out there that they could have introduced into the MMORPG genre.

Anytime you take a fan favorite and decide to change something to it the tide is already against you unless you can pull some serious magic out of your backside.

This discussion has been closed.