Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of Questions

ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

Are there Quests?

Are there levels, or is it a levelless system?

Is there a skill system? Is it like EVE's?

Is there crafting? How in depth is it?

What is the PvP like?

Guild/Player housing?

Any death penalities (perma death, loos of loot, etc)?

I think that's all the questions I have. Downloading right now, so I'll be trying it regardless of the answers given, but it'd be nice to know ahead of time.

Thanks,

TJ

Comments

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

Are there Quests?

You start off with a story quest line which leads you for the first 1-3 hours. After that most of the quest are nopt connected but just spread out. There are random encounters that you get from interacting with people and building relationships with NPCs through gift giving and more. The quests are not like the on rails you may be used to in conventional MMORPGs where you go from hub to hub.

There totally are and if anyone says other wise there blind. You level through a system called cultivation. You can level to level 36 in your school and once you hit 30 you can learn the next school skill set. You can also level your skills. In all levels dont mean much, cause you can come up against a "low level" but they ahave high skill levels and they can kick your butt, but you also know that low level has a cap of skill level far below someone higher level. So yes there are levels, they just use names to make it more vague like 'realized potential' which is like lvl 12-16 or something

Very much like EVE. You can literally set your character online and they will "level" themselves. You do have to do quests and stuff to get experience and over time experience is converted into cultivation and that cultivation is used to level up skills over time. It is much simpler than it sounds, I suggest seeing for yourself.

Yes its junk

What is the PvP like?

Generally someone higher level comes and ganks you, or you find someone and gank them. If your lucky you find a even match and its intense. You have attacks, parries, and block. Parry breaks block, block stops attacks, and attacks do alot more damage. You need to rotate through these to be successful in PvP. It is not as skill based as people make it sound to be. Someone that is very high in there level, or cultivation, will pub stomp you if your new. 

Guild/Player housing?

I am not in a guild so ill skip this one.

You lose bound money when you dies and you can pay unbound money to put a warrant on a player that has killed you. bound money can not be traded and is obtained from generally living in the world. Unbound money is only gained from using real money or from trading with players. You lose nothing, and you can res infinite amount of times.

I think that's all the questions I have. Downloading right now, so I'll be trying it regardless of the answers given, but it'd be nice to know ahead of time.

Thanks,

TJ

I would just like to finish by saying, I think the game is enjoyable. I like it because I can dictate what I want to do and generally it wil help me level up my character. I like the freedom of just messing around and knowing I am always progressing even if I am not focusing on it. There is alot more that I have not covered here, but you will learn that in time. Most things are to different for me to explain without you experiencing them or it would take me a novel to explain them.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

Thank you Euphei! :)

Also, I read THIS THREAD on the official forums. Is that true? Can people actually pay money to keep other players locked up? 

"Nevermind. He told me that jail time isn't related to crimes just bought by other players. Wow so if someone wants me out of the game he can buy as much time as he wants forever."

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Thank you Euphei! :)

Also, I read THIS THREAD on the official forums. Is that true? Can people actually pay money to keep other players locked up? 

"Nevermind. He told me that jail time isn't related to crimes just bought by other players. Wow so if someone wants me out of the game he can buy as much time as he wants forever."

To really lock you up he would need to put an absurd amount of money in it. And the simple solution is to leave your account afk all day. But yes, the time spent on jail is determined by the bounty on your head. But i think you can only be put a bounty if you have infamy.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Are there Quests?

Yes. It's not a quest based level to cap system. Before launch, I hadn't did a quest in 4 months. There is also the gossip and miricle encounter sytem. I've never seen anything like it. Through your action throught the entire life of you toon, you gain and lose affinity with the npcs in the world. These relationships may trigger wild stuff. This is not a rep grind "You do it like this thing." I've drank next to a noble girl before, and she liked it. Really awesom totally optional system.

A week ago I would have yes forsure. Now with the meridian system. it's much, much more sketchy. There are now 3 different leveling paths. Internal, Skills, Chi. Chi opens up into more paths. One for each school, plus Jianghu.  You may think someone is low level, and be completely wrong.

Yes

Crafting is nutz. Wide open player driven economy. Every crafter is different. Not every crafter has every recipe. You go to certain people for certain things. Think EVE but custome weapons instead of mass weapons. Every item is different. Plus each profession has mini games. It adds a skill based component to crafting. 

What is the PvP like?

Good enough to host a $150k, world wide, winner take all 1 v 1 invetational, where they flew everyone to China, all expenses paid.

Guild/Player housing?

Guild housing, and guild wars. Guild ownership of territory and cities, plus a  Tax system. Guild keeps are bigger than most mmo cities.

Debuffs. 2% up to about 30% dmg/speed reduction. Lasting anywhere from 10 minutes to 24 hours. 

Thanks,

TJ

np

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

These two Youtube channels will probably cover a lot more questions that you will probably have, such as the "how do I do X?"

wenerz

Jeremy Stratton

I find they put up some usefull info in an easy to follow format.  Between those two you should find most guides to get you started in teh game.  Also I reccomend to join a guild becuase it will give you even more content, speccially in the pvp department.

Finally, do some thorough research before you invest real money into this game.  Make sure you know their rules and stipulations with their VIP program and their cash shop.  They bit a lot of people in arse uneccasarily if they just would have been more transparent.  I blame it partly on translations and partly on Eastern business versus Western consumerism.  Lets hope they can improve those issues in the future.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Does it matter which server I join? I don't want to join one that's based around people speaking a foreign language, or has an insanely low pop.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Well from what I understand about Blue Dragon, and from what I remember about beta, it was pretty diverse on it's global population.  However I'm sure you could get by there if English is your main language but keep in mind there is a good number of players that have already been playing 5+ months and kept all of that progression becuase Snail didn't wiper their beta server.  So that might be a challenge you are willing to take?  I'm currently on White Tiger, which was supposed to be a NA server (lol) but some of our top rival guilds (we are talking about an average of 250 people per guild) are mainly Vietnamese or other Asian guilds.  I think most of those guys migrated off of Blue Dragon, the beta server, in hoping they could dominate the NA servers?  However those guys really seem to piss a lot of us primary English speakers off, not to mention they are starting to fight each other lol.  I can't speak for Black Tortoise or Red Phoenix (I think it's called), but all of the servers except Blue Dragon are only a couple of weeks old so most people are on an even foot and I would say that they are indeed primarily English speaking servers.

Just remember, if you do go for their $9 VIP thing, that it's only good for one server. So choose wisely becuase Snail will not transfer what you gave them in money to another server incase you want to change.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Does it matter which server I join? I don't want to join one that's based around people speaking a foreign language, or has an insanely low pop.

There are so many servers only due marketing reasons. I was playing Russian beta and trust me, server capacity is far higher than what we could see on NA launch.

I recall seeing some posts regarding their last server deployed - Red Phoenix, having too low population to provide basic skill progression properly so I would stay away there.

White Dragon and Black Tortoise should be okeyish.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Gdemami

There are so many servers only due marketing reasons. I was playing Russian beta and trust me, server capacity is far higher than what we could see on NA launch.

I recall seeing some posts regarding their last server deployed - Red Phoenix, having too low population to provide basic skill progression properly so I would stay away there.

White Dragon and Black Tortoise should be okeyish.

Considering Red Phoenix had a queue about 7-9 times that of the other servers last weekend, I doubt they're hurting for population. It's also the server said to have the least amount of non-English speaking (Vietnamese mainly) players, due to it being opened after the mass migration to the first two new servers. The latter is more hearsay from the official forums, but those queue numbers don't lie.

Originally posted by Seilan

Considering Red Phoenix had a queue about 7-9 times that of the other servers last weekend, I doubt they're hurting for population.

Yep, why believe a witness when you have an explanation that is likely not even related.

As I said before, Russian servers were hosting far more players and I personally never seen a queue on any server ever.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Considering Red Phoenix had a queue about 7-9 times that of the other servers last weekend, I doubt they're hurting for population.

Yep, why believe a witness when you have an explanation that is likely not even related.

As I said before, Russian servers were hosting far more players and I personally never seen a queue on any server ever.

Well, I witnessed queues 7-9 times the size of the other servers last weekend, and my friend and I also sat through it ourselves for around 20 minutes. How exactly are queue times not related to population size?

Whether the Russian servers had far more players or not isn't even relevant. We're talking about NA servers here and, if what you say is true, they're obviously not up to the same standard.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    @Gdemami ya, snail NA must have set servers on MMX166 or something similar, like mentioned at weekend there were queues on all servers, yet on each chinese server You have more ppl on these 4 together, atm Wushu feel empty when I walk in other city than chengdu
  • URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    wait till you play it.....THEN you'll have even more questions. it felt more like studying for a test(videos/guides/forum threads,etc)than playing a video game....i gave it a week.

How exactly are queue times not related to population size?

Read my previous post again and then read this to further understand how those 2 facts aren't necessarily related:

Originally posted by AresPL
    @Gdemami ya, snail NA must have set servers on MMX166 or something similar, like mentioned at weekend there were queues on all servers, yet on each chinese server You have more ppl on these 4 together, atm Wushu feel empty when I walk in other city than chengdu