Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will it take for this game to succeed?

2»

Comments

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by JasonJ

There are MILLIONS of TES fans and the idea that most of them play MMOs let alone will even LIKE an MMO based on DaoC is freaking LAUGHABLE when taking the outrage into account...and as for here...please, this is a DaoC fan heaven.

Minority get laud of forums, while majority of TES fans are silent and wait for the game. Trust me, most of the TES fans will get the game just as they got Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim... The only issue is if the game will captivate them for  long enough time... or it will be a month long commitment.

I do not really care about all forum posts. I follow the game, and I will make opinion of it by myself not based on opinions of people who did not even have a chance to play it.

No thanks, I would rather take the word of the Developers themselves who took a decent portion of their PAX interview times trying to quell fan fears by adding in what they believe are key features to make it feel more like TES, 1st person and opening other faction lands at 50.

Even THEY have spoken about it, making it true no matter how you want to believe it isnt, nor the spin you put on it.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Depends what you mean by success. Will it surpass WoW? I would not count on that. That's just not going to happen... we all know that.But I am sure that it will have support of most of TES players who started from Daggerfall and continued through Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. The problem TESO will face is if it can keep players interest for a long time. MMO players have many choices now and are jumping from MMO to MMO as they got bored. TESo will have to prepare in advance for this shift of attention...

you are exactly right, ive said this many of times here and its absolutely the truth.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

This may indeed echo in small part the WOW effect - where a lot of gamers who had nothing to do with MMOs just bought in because of their fondness for a series.

I actually didn't think it was going to be that big of a factor, because MMOs went mainstream with WOW and pretty much all gamers know now what MMOs look and feel like, and knowing that, most of them have already made up their minds to stay out of them.

However, I too am hearing "It's Elder Scrolls, so of course I'll play it" from the series fans I know. Much more frequently than I am hearing positive things from MMO fans... So, who knows?

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Like all MMO's released in the last couple years the only thing lacking and the only thing this game needs is a Functioning and fun Endgame for the PvE and progression for the hardcore.

Thats it, it won't take much but besides PvP the only thing a game needs to to create enough PvE content to keep the people happy with enough progression and experiences to continue to hook the player into playing.

The game requires longevity for PvP as well. It requires real rewards and real risk scenarios. Do you think any PvP'er would play a mindless zerg grind for days over and over? They wouldn't.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Neherun

Like all MMO's released in the last couple years the only thing lacking and the only thing this game needs is a Functioning and fun Endgame for the PvE and progression for the hardcore.

Thats it, it won't take much but besides PvP the only thing a game needs to to create enough PvE content to keep the people happy with enough progression and experiences to continue to hook the player into playing.

The game requires longevity for PvP as well. It requires real rewards and real risk scenarios. Do you think any PvP'er would play a mindless zerg grind for days over and over? They wouldn't.

Yup. Most FPSers wouldn't like it.

But what looks like a mindless zerg to some, is organized, tactical group PvP to those who plan and execute it. Sorry, there are no scoreboards here you can screen cap and post after 10 minutes of  screaming "noob" at each other in "real" PvP.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by superconducting

Here's what I think. The MMO market is clearly saturated with mediocre games that haven't really changed the MMO formula for the last 10 years. The tried, overused, re-packaged, signed-sealed-delivered WoW model has ironically been the knife in the throat for several modern MMOs. Everquest Next could actually see their downfall before their own eyes and decided to do a complete design overhaul to remedy the situation.

Now here's my concern with ESO.

There were numerous reports from people who played the game at the PAX east stating the game did not play much different from the leak video. One prime example is Force's comparison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ZOHa2HKgs). Forget about the criticisms of the video itself like the graphics quality, I'm talking about the overall FEEL of the game which one can get enough of a sense of. They are all pretty much saying it is not going to be like Skyrim, Oblivion, or Morrowind online but rather, a more typical MMO with lots of Elder Scrolls elements in the mix.

Now here's where I start to get worried about ESO.

So far this is looking more like an MMO that happens to be placed in the TES universe. The mere fact that the devs had qualms about adding in first person, an integral part of any TES game, implies that they were probably more focused on the MMO aspect of the game. But in a market that is heavily saturated with average MMOs that haven’t really done anything new, I think it is very risky to take this approach. People are not stupid, and if they see another MMO with the same thing done over a thousand times, more likely than not they will have little reason to stick around.

What needs to happen then?

In my mind it's quite simple actually. Zenimax needs to focus on making a true TES game that HAPPENS to have online capability. TES fans will be content because they get the true TES experience. And MMO fans will be pleased because an authentic, full-on TES game is a refreshing CHANGE from your standard, clicheed fantasy MMO. A fully fledged TES game in the MMO world would be the INNOVATION that MMOs need.

Everything that makes TES games great should still be there in precisely the right combination, just as they have always been- immersive gameplay, engaging quests, memorable storylines, rich lore, captivating music, elegant artstyle. This is what will set the game apart in the genre. This is what will entice players to stay. Don’t get me wrong, PvP and such has to also be great, but the primary concern should be to deliver that Elder Scrollsy feel we deeply connect with! Unfortunately, I'm not sure Zenimax even has the ability to do this without grabbing some of the devs working at Bethesda (Todd Howard, are you listening?).

I will end by saying I am an optimist, and there’s nothing more I wish than for this game to succeed. But after the leak video I began to have doubts. I really hope Zenimax ends up making the right decisions in the end, and tips the scale way more towards the TES side. I can’t help but think that doing otherwise would be shooting themselves in the foot.

(Note: I messed up the poll insert and can't edit it anymore, there were supposed to be more choices)

Another poster from the future, love these guys.  Can you get me some lotto numbers on the trip back next time, thanks.

PS. Oh and bring screenshots or something of the so called game that didn't succeed

On a more serious note: After I watched the video's I became more sure the game will succeed. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Neherun

Yup. Most FPSers wouldn't like it.

But what looks like a mindless zerg to some, is organized, tactical group PvP to those who plan and execute it. Sorry, there are no scoreboards here you can screen cap and post after 10 minutes of  screaming "noob" at each other in "real" PvP.

I'm starting to think you misunderstood me.

By real rewards I'm going with Siege mechanics, they need to be rewarding for both sides, the defender and the attacker. For risk scenarios. There has to be something at stake when you siege, it doesn't have to be anything personal. But something, perhaps that PvP resource players can get? Universal faction resources? Your guilds resources? Just something. Defenders have this already, we know you can upgrade the cities / keeps. So a fully upgraded city isn't something you want to lose (as a Shadowbane player I've experienced the thrill more than enough times). 

By mindless zerg grind I was referring to instanced unorganized PvP. It offered really, nothing. Only a chance to gain something repeating the repetetive pattern for 10 minutes, dropping out, joining a new game. Of course these kind of minigames are fun at start, but the content really isn't long lasting. I cannot play any instanced PvP for more than 36 hours, that's the maximum I reached in RIFT "hours played" wise. It in the end was nothing but "mindless zerg grinding", you rushed somewhere, doesn't really matter if in the end you won / did not, as long as you scored so many kills you got rewarded eitherway. Of course instanced PvP is different on organized level, but repeating the absolute same strategy you have found fitting is boring in the end as well.

Open-field PvP is something else then, and I expect Cyrodil to offer proper strategy requiring combat. I already am planning to go there with a guild focused  Spec group.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Less static and lifeless themepark, more old skool freedom combined with the advantages of modern technology. To be able to explore instead of running from one quest hub to another, and to have random encounters and events from time to time. Also, world map should be large of course to be able to explore. Actually these are things many MMO players have been asking for years but have been ripped off by lazy and greedy devs.