Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Discussion Thread

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

Aion was beautiful.  Tera was beautiful.  Plenty of games are beautiful.  But I'm back in WOW because it offers the best gameplay.

unlike those games you mentioned if you look this one has TONS of systems from an intricate trading system to housing to seiges.. seems to be a very sandboxy type game somewhat similar to archage.. but again i wouldn't expect this out in NA/EU till maybe end of 2014 if that

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

Aion was beautiful.  Tera was beautiful.  Plenty of games are beautiful.  But I'm back in WOW because it offers the best gameplay.

Tera actually seems to be the most popular MMO at my college sure its questing sucks but I'm enjoying it so far and while the combats not perfect it is quite fun.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

unlike those games you mentioned if you look this one has TONS of systems from an intricate trading system to housing to seiges.. seems to be a very sandboxy type game somewhat similar to archage.. but again i wouldn't expect this out in NA/EU till maybe end of 2014 if that

The current ETA for NA/EU is 2015. =( Least by then the basic low end comp should be up for it currently I'm quite impressed with the Intel HD 4k with a command line it can even run games like GTA 4 at medium settings fairly well.

Originally posted by Shauneepeak

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

The current ETA for NA/EU is 2015. =( Least by then the basic low end comp should be up for it currently I'm quite impressed with the Intel HD 4k with a command line it can even run games like GTA 4 at medium settings fairly well.

yea figured 2015 was a safe bet.. all games from the east take forever to get here.. i so thought B&S would of been in beta by now here and now its looking 2014 on that one :(

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Wow :)

This is on my radar now. If it's an open world Vindictus, sign me up.

Also, it seems like 2013 is the goal...that's what I'm assuming since they say it's almost done.

http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/1071-black-desert-online-preview-2

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    I'm just wondering what the catch is.
    Originally posted by Vorch

Wow :)

This is on my radar now.

Also, it seems like 2013 is the goal...that's what I'm assuming since they say it's almost done.

http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/1071-black-desert-online-preview-2

almost done for its origin country not here.... we wont see this for a good long while

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

It's just another eye-candy masturbation piece and that means exactly jack squat.  All that matters is gameplay.  Besides, the game engine on their fly-bys wasn't doing that hot of a job anyhow, watch the trees as they just swap out models instead of animating the ones they have.

Not impressed.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by aleos
    I'm just wondering what the catch is.

2015-2016 release :(

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Looks impressive.  I wish western MMOs would have more musical-based classes.  Seems like most Asian fantasy MMOs have them.  That pied piper scene was pretty cool.  I enjoy minstrel/bard classes. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    The only problem I see is the game will probably require you to have a 3.0GHz+ processor (no laptops supported) 8gb ram, geforce 500 or better.  That's the only problem with MMOs, they use up alot more resources than single player games.  That's why you can have skyrim with it's graphics, but ESO will have worse graphics.  You have to make a game that will play on more than just a handful of computers, or the most players you will ever have is like ten thousand, since only like ten thousand computers can run it smoothly.  That's one of the factors why WoW has so many players, you could probably play it on a smart phone these days if they would release a client in android or iOS lol
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

why are all the games I want coming out in 2015.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Looks impressive.  I wish western MMOs would have more musical-based classes.  Seems like most Asian fantasy MMOs have them.  That pied piper scene was pretty cool.  I enjoy minstrel/bard classes. 

try vanguard, it has interesting bard class

Heres the first trailer with much more combat though again it was the "first trailer" and contains multiple techinical hiccups. I'm just enjoying that it appears they are showing actual Game Engine footage instead of selling us with over the top CGI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDhimjJLc6c

Sadly even in 720p it is still youtube quality.

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199
    I'v been watching this one to.  I believe the reason they dont have it here in mmorpg is they said they dont have a site to link it to.  Once the people at black prophecy put up a site they can add it to the list
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

So this thread is basically an endless hype thread fo a game that has yet to go even to beta without NDA.

Trailers prove nothing, for all we know it could be even an entirely different build than the game will ever run (like certain incidents in the near past).

I'l give this game time and see what it is when the time comes, but until then: may the hype torment you.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak

Tera actually seems to be the most popular MMO at my college sure its questing sucks but I'm enjoying it so far and while the combats not perfect it is quite fun.

To be fair, Tera didn't have bad gameplay and I still plan on giving it another try at some point.  It's not at all that Tera's gameplay is lacking, but more the idea that WOW's gameplay feels so polished and meticulously crafted that I keep going back.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Housing and sieges aren't what are going to fill my gameplay sessions though.  If the strongest game features of a game are only engaged 1-5% of the time, that leaves 95% of the time engaging in second-string systems.

The purpose of a game is to entertain.  Empty gameplay doesn't entertain.  If 95% of a game sucks, the game sucks.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Btw kind of odd but did anyone else think of FFXII when watching the first trailer? Not really sure what exactly about the game reminded me of it but it did.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    And as far as I know, this game will not have a gender lock - even as if it might look like it in the first place.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by 4bsolute
    And as far as I know, this game will not have a gender lock - even as if it might look like it in the first place.

It wont.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

I honestly think the end of 2016 is a bit more reasonable.  

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Graphics really need some work.  They look good up close and when not moving, but the texture glitches and the aggressive LOD is really bad.

It's also yet another Korean MMO, which is hardly a good thing.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by Homitu

Sure it's beautiful.

But how does it play?

I honestly think the end of 2016 is a bit more reasonable.  

you are probably right

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The trailer's definitely nice, but I'd hold off on getting overly hyped just yet.

For one, the trailer shows almost nothing about the game when you stop and think about it. It shows it looks pretty, and that the game has some pretty bad optimization issues it needs to work on (I don't know if you noticed, but there's a lot of texture shuttering / flickering, and framerate issues in that tech demo).

We don't know anything about the game mechanics, and that's going to be a HUGE factor in determining whether or not the game is actually good. Just look at what happened with FFXIV. I'm definitely curious about this one, though. I saw the trailer a while ago,  and kinda forgot about it.