Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problems

DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
For several months now my screen keeps goin black i dont know why. Sometimes it will mostly stop for a bit, but it often does it every few seconds. The lcd doesnt seem to turn off though, but the screen goes black then turns back on.. I was thinking my video card is getting bad but when i play a game it does it far less. For some reason its way worse when in windows.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Just from your brief description it sounds like it may be the video card. If you are just losing video and the PC is not rebooting then chances are its the GPU. May be going bad or may not be getting enough power ( which may mean a Power supply ).

It would prbably help to give your full system specs.

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701

its an older pc

core2duo e8400

evga 260 gtx

4 g ram

LG 27 inch lcd(year old)

I just find it strange that it doesnt do it much when im playing a game, mostly just in windows. If if was a bad psu it should get worse during gameplay but it doesnt. Just as im typing this the screen went black 3 times.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Eliminate the easy to test stuff first. The cable and the monitor. The simplest answer with a desktop system is the cable may be bad. Try another monitor too.

Completely black or just black. Is it black but the LCD backlight still on? Or does the backlight turn completely off? It will most readily be differentiated in a dark room.  If the backlight is still on then you will continue to see some light coming from the LCD panel. 

If there is no light whatsoever when this happens the LCD inverter or the backlight may be failing. If it's a laptop then the LVDS cable may also be shorting out.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    If you had problems with your video card, I would expect a driver crash indicator to appear, at the very least.  I'm suspecting the cable isn't plugged in all the way, or the monitor is going bad.
  • MeltdownZAMeltdownZA Member Posts: 15

Does the 'No signal detected' thing appear on your monitor, or does it just go blank?

What do the lights on the monitor do?

monstertruckracingarenas.com