Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Bye, All

MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

I've been on this website since 2003.  I've seen how this website does nothing about it's negative community and the trolling.  This website is mocked in the comments of other gaming sites, and I have seen the writers of other gaming sites refer to mmorpg.com as "we're not like that one site".  I have even had one of my comments about mmorpg.com featured in the article of different gaming site.

I don't know how long it's been since I haven't bothered to return to threads that I post to on this website since the trolling, anger, and over all negativity is so rampant.  I went so far as to put a comment in my signature saying that I simply don't return to the threads that I post to here.  It's rarely worth my time to deal with the vitriol in those responses.

The only thing going for this place is the domain name, and they've wasted it on their inability to run a decent site or a decent community.  The negativity here is infamous.

[mod edit]

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

My take on trolling and negatavity is that ALL mmos have gone downhill in the last few years. There are none !

People here can't put there fingers on this problem. So they lash out.

- Developers are not making mmos they are making 30 day games that are single player with others online. They are making fun fun quick sell games that die out in weeks. They are trying to out do each others with graphics and then game play and worlds suffer because of it.

I don't blame the posters I blame the developers AND this site that would sell there sole for there advertisements. Most mmos on this list really suck !

In away I'm ready to give up on this site also, not because of the negatavity but Developers are JUST NOT HERE, It's really worthless to post here, no one makes a diffriance.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

Been there and done that.  Had five of those stars before.  You can tell how active I am now. :P

Here's the deal as I see it.  Many of the people here are jaded vets with unrealistic expectations of what a MMORPG can and should provide.  They are in love with their memories of the days when this genre was their shiny new video game love.  They've since become smarter, in some ways.  They now see through a lot of the cynicism inherent in MMORPG design, so they're no longer able to gain the same feeling from newer titles.  They recognize the artificial highs and in-game rewards for what they are: enticements designed to make you sink more time into the game.

By the same token, though, many of them are unable to grasp that game design is only a tiny part of it.  Part of it is that you simply can't reach back in time and recreate unique experiences.  The primary context of any experience is "you," and that you is ever-changing.  You can't have your "firsts" again, for that reason.

You also have some people who define themselves as having "refined tastes."  Chalk it up to servicing their own esteem needs or whatever else you wish to.  They slam certain games (typically the latest blockbusters) as being juvenile, having ruined the genre, and other forms of hyperbolic negativity.  Since they are not pleased, and since they are the self-styled arbiters of proper MMO taste, they find their judgments to be well-reasoned.  They're unable to accept the equal validity of differing tastes and playstyles, instead judging all games on the same spectrum of quality, one based on criterion oriented around their personal enjoyment.

The people who fall into the above groups tend to act in a certain fashion: at any given time, they glom onto one unreleased title to which they attach unrealistic hopes, then bash everything else.  And in many cases, they are the vocal minority.  The people who are a little more chill don't really feel a need to jump in.  It's usually not productive.

Other game communities are far more likely to accept what MMORPG's really are: video games within a genre which conform to specific conventions, some of which are pleasing to a given player and some of which frustrating.  You go to other places, and games don't as often get compared to dream titles and impossible should-be's.  People just look for a fun game.  If it's good, they play it until it's not good, and then they move on, and they hold no grudges in that exchange.

Don't get me wrong.  There's an enormous amount of people who visit this site who have that attitude as well.  They're just not jumping into the forums as often nowadays.

That said, even with all of the issues mentioned above, I do think the tone of this site's forums has improved a lot.  I don't know whether that's a compliment to the present or insult to the past.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Kurush

Been there and done that.  Had five of those stars before.  You can tell how active I am now. :P

Here's the deal as I see it.  Many of the people here are jaded vets with unrealistic expectations of what a MMORPG can and should provide.  They are in love with their memories of the days when this genre was their shiny new video game love.  They've since become smarter, in some ways.  They now see through a lot of the cynicism inherent in MMORPG design, so they're no longer able to gain the same feeling from newer titles.  They recognize the artificial highs and in-game rewards for what they are: enticements designed to make you sink more time into the game.

By the same token, though, many of them are unable to grasp that game design is only a tiny part of it.  Part of it is that you simply can't reach back in time and recreate unique experiences.  The primary context of any experience is "you," and that you is ever-changing.  You can't have your "firsts" again, for that reason.

You also have some people who define themselves as having "refined tastes."  Chalk it up to servicing their own esteem needs or whatever else you wish to.  They slam certain games (typically the latest blockbusters) as being juvenile, having ruined the genre, and other forms of hyperbolic negativity.  Since they are not pleased, and since they are the self-styled arbiters of proper MMO taste, they find their judgments to be well-reasoned.  They're unable to accept the equal validity of differing tastes and playstyles, instead judging all games on the same spectrum of quality, one based on criterion oriented around their personal enjoyment.

The people who fall into the above groups tend to act in a certain fashion: at any given time, they glom onto one unreleased title to which they attach unrealistic hopes, then bash everything else.  And in many cases, they are the vocal minority.  The people who are a little more chill don't really feel a need to jump in.  It's usually not productive.

Other game communities are far more likely to accept what MMORPG's really are: video games within a genre which conform to specific conventions, some of which are pleasing to a given player and some of which frustrating.  You go to other places, and games don't as often get compared to dream titles and impossible should-be's.  People just look for a fun game.  If it's good, they play it until it's not good, and then they move on, and they hold no grudges in that exchange.

Don't get me wrong.  There's an enormous amount of people who visit this site who have that attitude as well.  They're just not jumping into the forums as often nowadays.

That said, even with all of the issues mentioned above, I do think the tone of this site's forums has improved a lot.  I don't know whether that's a compliment to the present or insult to the past.

" in love with their memories ? ", I disagree, mmos have turned into single player games with tools to auto group.  This took away the community. Also mmos are made easer, this takes away from the community also, You just don't need anyone.

Some like it some don't, I'm not trying to start an argument. But I disagree with the memories idea. Many are pissed and would like an mmo with community, in parts have to work together, have Guilds that count and are needed. Friends list are things of the past.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    The main problem as I see it is, you have been too emotionally invested in the forum.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Mmo industry has been pumping out allot of overhyped and free to play garbage...  hence the bitterness of these forums.
This discussion has been closed.