Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not an MMO...?

HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Within the MMO genre there are a lot of sub-genres / classifications. And, I am fairly sure (given the allusions accross many different topics on this forum to such) that there is a general sense of a breaking point for what deserves to be called an MMO and what doesn't.

So, what game(s) do you consider to be most heavily misnomered as an MMO; And why?

Comments

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    completely valid opinion on the matter. I mean we started with the MMORPG and one could fairly argue that it sort of devolved from there. But, if your concern is more on the side of when something stops being an MMORPG in specific, what is your cut off point for that (Saying something about that seems well within the scope of the thread)?

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

With all due respect, there couldn't be more pointless topic than debating over what is an MMO or MMORPG and what is not. Nor there is any point in redefining the term(s) either. The only benefit I can imagine is to satisfy some weird case of mild  OCD. If your eye starts twitching because some game gets to be called an MMORPG, its not my problem - its yours alone.

Why should I care what gets called an MMO and what doesn't? I only care if the game is fun or not and I do my research case by case.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    At least once a month we have massive threads debating the definitions of MMORPG or sandbox. You've as much right to jump in as the next person, but most of the long term posters couldnt be bothered expect to say they couldnt be bothered.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

people calling MOBAs, multiplayer fps/tps games(WOT type games), Diablo style games MMOs is wrong..

They are not MMOs.. They are either co-op games or match type multiplayer games... you would never have called Quake an MMO yet there was was thousands of people playing that on different servers..

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by rounner
    At least once a month we have massive threads debating the definitions of MMORPG or sandbox. You've as much right to jump in as the next person, but most of the long term posters couldnt be bothered expect to say they couldnt be bothered.

/Thread

*can't be bothered

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

My Appolgies for the misunderstanding then...

I can see how it's easy to get jaded on such topics. Usually when I see them I roll my eyes and pass them up just because; Yes, they are so frequent.

It was not my intention to create such a topic. The way I saw it is that these threads usually have a title like "why the genre is dying" or "why you can't find a real MMO" etc. And, the OP's of such topics typically present almost troll bait in the way they approach it....the erm 'Janeway is a better captain then Kirk or Picard' kind of approach.

My intention was something a little more open in it's scope, that would facilitate people using a prime example to illustrate what they see as too far gone from the genre. Without me directly making the argument of what is or is not an MMO and simply being disagreed or agreed with.

Interstingly enough, despite the claims by repliants here (which seems to be that the seasoned forumite will not touch such topics as they are immature)...people did respond to a topic called "Not an MMO...?". If only to say just that. Which has ended up speaking worlds more to me then I think my initial desired responses would have.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Definition topics again?

Let me put it this way .. i care if a game is fun. I care little if it should be classified as a MMO, or something else.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I think the problem arises when people try to say what they want in a mmo, and then people bring up something that is far from what they were talking about. 

WoW is not the same game as LoL, to compare them doesn't work well, but if you call both a mmo, then debate what should and shouldn't be in a mmo, thats where people get into the definition.

When you debate something, you need to atleast have something roughly equal, and too often, that doesn't happen.  I mean where does it end?  Is 2 player pong a MMO? 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

some games listed on this site that are not mmo's are.....

-Path of Exile

-Diablo 3

-Guild Wars

-League of Legends

-Smite

-DotA

-DotA 2

but as others have said,  who cares.

Again...i am chuckling...because no one cares. No one who is posting on this thread could care less. We can go play a game of sarcastaball after this ;)

But, in all honest, I do need to narrow the scope of a thread I would make a lot more. Like with the other one I have going at the moment. people seem to actually be enjoying it. I am finding that being very specific is important in making threads. Not leaving things so open that it can easily go to a bad place or that people are exasperated by the title alone.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Helleri

Again...i am chuckling...because no one cares. No one who is posting on this thread could care less. We can go play a game of sarcastaball after this ;)

But, in all honest, I do need to narrow the scope of a thread I would make a lot more. Like with the other one I have going at the moment. people seem to actually be enjoying it. I am finding that being very specific is important in making threads. Not leaving things so open that it can easily go to a bad place or that people are exasperated by the title alone.

You were clear enough in your original post. You should not have to narrow your scope of anything. Everyone here knows exactly what you are talking about..........Your right, wayyy more than half the games on the list are not mmos, there crap games with others online around you they are not living breathing worlds with no one grouping, making friends and communication.....Everyone here knows what you are asking.....There just being disagreeable, most would argue that the sky is not blue.

- Guild wars 2 is a perfect example of not an mmo. Many guilds are not established to use the go-arounds set in place by the developers that you have to do to work together. Yes there are some but developers did not make the game easy for a well oiled guild. They make a game that is for the most part a game with others around you !

- Rift is crap for an mmo until end game. You go from one quest hub to another like a carrot on a stick. You cant invite that guy over their because he in on a different chain quest than you. Unless you match quest for quest with someone you would most often be playing alone.

- Most all F2P mmos are crap.  Did that friend you made buy the zone package that you are trying to accomplish? Can you get a group together to do a dungeon ?...Did they buy the dungeon package? ...Are they gimped up because they will not spend a penny ?...Where is the community after level 25 ?...Did most quit because its to hard to F2P ?

Your post is fine Hilleri.........It's just getting to the point that since most mmos are not mmos that many posters here are crossovers and like to solo play and argue.

Originally posted by muffins89

some games listed on this site that are not mmo's are.....

-Path of Exile

-Diablo 3

-Guild Wars

-League of Legends

-Smite

-DotA

-DotA 2

but as others have said,  who cares.

Plus, many of these games are more funt to me than many "truth" (whoever define it) MMOs.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I agree with Quirhid that this is a pointless topic... Because...

Although I'm horrible at spelling and often time use horrible grammar (okay, just horrible lol) a simpler string describing something cannot be found for gamers. Everyone who understands the words "massively" and "multiplayer" (who hasn't played either Goldeneye or Halo) knows what it means. Fun? Doesn't effect the catagory. Personal opinion? Doesn't change grammar or word definitions lol.

If I read "The fast purple elephant tried to eat" I know that there's an elephant, he's purple and hungry despite being fast.

That said I've enjoyed many games that are not MMOs, I just try not to bring them to The Pub.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    There is always going to be accomodation and "mission creep" as it were when mmorp.com does things like D3, etc. Nothing wrong with that. If they start having a Call of Duty section, then I'll start complaining.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    To answer the OP I'd say... Well I can't as I'm in the Pub lol.

Actually I think a game like GW was right therein the line. I still think it's an MMO from the cities because IMO it's a lot more "MMO" than a texted based lobby and more connected to the instanced zones. Pretty close though :)
  • irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

My guidelines for mmo(rpgs) is they require the following:

-Persistent online world, if you are not online the world is still going on without you.

-Persistent character customization and progress. This one is flexible though to me, although fairly important, guess more for MMORPGs, than just an MMO

-Multiplayer, even heavily instanced is fine as long as random player encounters are possible. If it is zone with a by party invite only system then I consider it a CO-OP RPG with an online hub, best example is GW1.

Hmm really thats all I can think of for my criteria right now.

Originally posted by krage

-Multiplayer, even heavily instanced is fine as long as random player encounters are possible. If it is zone with a by party invite only system then I consider it a CO-OP RPG with an online hub, best example is GW1.

How about D3? You can click a button and match with random players. No party invite needed.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Helleri

Interstingly enough, despite the claims by repliants here (which seems to be that the seasoned forumite will not touch such topics as they are immature)...people did respond to a topic called "Not an MMO...?". If only to say just that. Which has ended up speaking worlds more to me then I think my initial desired responses would have.

I don't know about others, but I clicked the thread thinking it might be asking that question about a specific game that was/wasn't recently called an MMO, not expecting yet another generic "What do you consider an MMO?" thread.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I'm to the point that I really don't care about what the specific's of a game are.If I have to login online to play and there are other people that's pretty much an mmo to me.Many want to narrow it down further and that's fine.

This site is pretty much just giving us info that they feel an mmo player would want.It interest's most people on this site I would imagine.That's enough for me and I appreciate the info this site provide's and also the input from my fellow poster's :)

I'm not saying anyone is questioning what game's should be covered here,it's just a little input on the subject.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark