Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Achievements

mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

For those who play, Not sure if you have noticed, Some of the achievements that you can now track down (kill named guy, find all areas on map, ect...) give out random awards.

In some cases this is actual Cartel coins....

Looks like EA ported over a Lotro Idea.

SO Now not only can you just purchase the unlocks from the GTN (Galactic Trade Network) You can ear tiny snippets of Coin from simply playing the game. In the grand scheme of things it isn't going to pay your way. It will however get you a tiny bit closer and at least give you some actual award for playing.

I Found this to be a nice suprise from bioware/EA

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
-->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I'm curious on some details on how it works.. for instance, can you only get the CC's 1 time per achievement per account (ie get them on your first time, then never again on alts)? ..

I suppose it will come out eventually also whether CC coins are given to freemiums.

It would be nice actually if dailies or some other repeatable content gave CC's ..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Karteli

I'm curious on some details on how it works.. for instance, can you only get the CC's 1 time per achievement per account (ie get them on your first time, then never again on alts)? ..

I suppose it will come out eventually also whether CC coins are given to freemiums.

It would be nice actually if dailies or some other repeatable content gave CC's ..

If I'm reading it right, FTP players can earn achievements as well, but....

... a lot of achievements require alts, so unless you are willing to max a character then delete it you can't earn enough cartel coins to spend over the ammount to go from FTP to prefered. (If that is what you were getting at.)

It's not like LOTRO where in theory you could grind out the entire game for free in a bazillion hours.

To be fair, I don't think the question has been directly answered. Doesn't really matter anyway. FTP players are not a focus of the game design. Besides, the Makeb expansion cannot be purchased with cartel coins, therefore FTP and prefered accounts are trapped behind (and capped at 50) paywall.

Whether this is a good or bad descion on Bioware's part is a matter of opinion. The danger is that servers may become thinner and thinner as FTP players hit the paywall and might melt away.

• Originally posted by Karteli

Achievement Rewards

All Achievements reward the player with Prestige, a score showing the combined value of your completed Achievements. Any player inspecting your Achievements can immediately see your total Prestige and get an idea of just how much of the game you have completed and explored.

Some tough Achievements will grant the player Legacy Titles usable by all members of your Legacy. For example, the Master Craftsman Achievement referenced earlier bestows the title of Master Craftsman across your entire Legacy.

A small number of Achievements will grant Cartel Coins to your account. These Achievements only reward Cartel Coins once per account instead of once per Legacy.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/developer-update-legacy-achievements

Ah OK.  I remember players asking EA over and over to let them earn CC's in-game.

I guess this is EA's response.  Pretty lousy actually, you get a few bucks back in CC's (one time deal) for spending much more.

Oh well.

It's not F2P any longer.  There is a free limited trial to level 50 however, with a level cap of 55 for subscribers.

Since the story goes to 55 now, EA is no longer giving the whole story away for free...

Originally posted by furh98

It's not F2P any longer.  There is a free limited trial to level 50 however, with a level cap of 55 for subscribers.

Since the story goes to 55 now, EA is no longer giving the whole story away for free...

[mod edit]

Aion?

You know, the game with a fair cash shop, no restrictions for F2P.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

For those who play, Not sure if you have noticed, Some of the achievements that you can now track down (kill named guy, find all areas on map, ect...) give out random awards.

In some cases this is actual Cartel coins....

Looks like EA ported over a Lotro Idea.

SO Now not only can you just purchase the unlocks from the GTN (Galactic Trade Network) You can ear tiny snippets of Coin from simply playing the game. In the grand scheme of things it isn't going to pay your way. It will however get you a tiny bit closer and at least give you some actual award for playing.

I Found this to be a nice suprise from bioware/EA

Yeah, I saw that in my SWTOR account 'ledger' that I was rewarded 3x 20 cartel coins yesterday. There was no desciption and though 'OKAY'. But it makes sense that they come from the achievements. At least BioWare/EA is doing something right this time...

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

What f2p game gives their xpac away for free? 

STO - Legacy of Romulus

is going to be free. Announced in March, going Live in May, only 2 months later.

[mod edit]

Aion?

You know, the game with a fair cash shop, no restrictions for F2P.

[mod edit]

Nah, my response was to counter your false statement you put in red.

In fact, no response would have been given if you wouldn't keep throwing misinformation to the masses about how great SWTOR's payment model is to the MMORPG competition, when it is clearly not.  Although I'm guessing you are just repeating what some dubious person told you on SWTOR's official forums, where misinformation is encouraged.

Wouldn't you want SWTOR to rise above the competition, instead of saying everything is OK because it meets the bare minimum set by other sub-standard games that aren't really doing all that well anyways?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by superniceguy

What f2p game gives their xpac away for free? 

STO - Legacy of Romulus

is going to be free. Announced in March, going Live in May, only 2 months later.

STO?  That game is still around?  People were asking for Romulus at launch 3 years ago.  They are finally making the class available and calling it an expansion?  Well of course they are not going to charge for something that took 3 years to put in the game.  

*Just a note: I don't like STO but am not jumping on their boards, you mentioned it so I am letting you know.  

Makeb was announced Jun 2012 and went live Apr 2013, that is 10 months, plus it was going to be free

I don't think SWTOR will get another expansion now, unless it will be free. Also other MMOs like LOTRO and EQ2 may have to rethink their pricing for expansions if STOs is pretty meaty, although LOTRO is not so bad as you can get it with your Turbine Points which you get from the monthly sub. It is a shame that you can not buy the SWTOR expansion with CC

Oh I don't think SWTOR is perfect not even close. I have an issue with people crying about the F2P model, pay the $10 and get the expansion.  If you want all the features pay the $15/month if not suck it up and get what you get for not paying anything.  What misinformation am I passing?  

What f2p game gives their xpac away for free?  Yep none!

I do agree with you here.  It is disappointing that CC can't be earned in-game on a recurring basis, as they should be.  It's what players wanted, judging by the threads on the official forums.  EA provided the bare minimum for "free" CC's, and while some people praise a couple pieces of rice in a huge bowl as better than nothing, I'd say it's not enough.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

STO?  That game is still around?  

I know right? It's great to have the occasional reminder  that STO is still kicking. It might help  liven up that subforum again. ;)

People were asking for Romulus at launch 3 years ago.  They are finally making the class available and calling it an expansion?  Well of course they are not going to charge for something that took 3 years to put in the game.  

*Just a note: I don't like STO but am not jumping on their boards, you mentioned it so I am letting you know.  

It also needs to be added that what people were asking for was a full Romulan faction, which is not what STO is releasing. The'yll be a minor race where you have to join one of the two major factions after a certain level. So now there's going to be Romulan Warbirds fighting each other on both sides. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

As for achievements... nothing stops anybody to go back to all planets to get them... etc.... I am glad I still have bunch of alts to do, but I will really enjoy getting them all on all my toons. And there are so many of them. So far I got ~500 CC from achievements and there is so much more I have to do.. it will take me a long time to get there... It's great! :)

Great addition to game, especially with reward system.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by tiefighter25

If I'm reading it right, FTP players can earn achievements as well, but....

... a lot of achievements require alts, so unless you are willing to max a character then delete it you can't earn enough cartel coins to spend over the ammount to go from FTP to prefered. (If that is what you were getting at.)

It's not like LOTRO where in theory you could grind out the entire game for free in a bazillion hours.

To be fair, I don't think the question has been directly answered. Doesn't really matter anyway. FTP players are not a focus of the game design. Besides, the Makeb expansion cannot be purchased with cartel coins, therefore FTP and prefered accounts are trapped behind (and capped at 50) paywall.

Whether this is a good or bad descion on Bioware's part is a matter of opinion. The danger is that servers may become thinner and thinner as FTP players hit the paywall and might melt away.

Nope I see these FTP paying the $10 for the xpac and staying with the game.  FTP are the issue with MMO's these days, your telling me $15/month is too much for hours of enterainment?  Another issue is people still throw a fit because they have to grind in LOTRO to be able to play for free.

In my eyes these FTP that whine and cry because its not free enough should be left on the side and never looked at because they are nothing but a cancer to MMO's along with the posters that post on games they dont even play, but thats another topic

It takes a lot of cognitive dissonance to believe both that FTP saved SWTOR and FTP players are the scum of the universe.

Then again, perhaps it's not surprising in someone who believes you have to pay $15 a month to be entitled to have an opinion on a product.

Also, Makeb (the FTP paywall) is not $10. It's either sub and buy, $25, or not sub and buy, $20.

Sincerely - Cancer.

It takes a lot of cognitive dissonance to believe both that FTP saved SWTOR and FTP players are the scum of the universe.

Then again, perhaps it's not surprising in someone who believes you have to pay $15 a month to be entitled to have an opinion on a product.

Also, Makeb (the FTP paywall) is not $10. It's either sub and buy, $25, or not sub and buy, $20.

Sincerely - Cancer.

Majority of players who sub, do not sub only because of Makeb and they would play SWTOR regardless. So it is still $9.99.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Sincerely - Cancer.

Majority of players who sub, do not sub only because of Makeb and they would play SWTOR regardless. So it is still $9.99.

I agree, the vast majority of players who subscribe will purchase Makeb. (It is pretty much mandatory with the new level cap.) However I was refering to the FTP players. I was merely pointing out that a $20 or $25 paywall is a significant barrier for a FTP player and may eventually have an impact on how many FTP players continue playing. (Only Bioware knows what percentage of their playerbase are subscribers.)

Some may buy it, some may even become regular subscribers. Having a large paywall in a Freemium game is a gamble on Bioware's part. Time will tell if it pays off ot not.

That was my point, and I thought I made it without insulting anyone.

The results of TORStatus and other unmentionable trend sources seem to be uninspiring for a new expansion just released.

This could simply be that many players did not preorder the expansion and are waiting to play the general release.  If could also be an indication, as mentioned, that it was enough to scare "F2P" players away from a game that is essentially, no longer free.

Making freemiums feel inferior in a game that was supposed to give the whole story away for free doesn't seem like a good marketing strategy.  The continuation of the story 51-55 is not free.

No matter how much a freemium populates the world and adds to the community, they will never be able to achieve what paying players can, even with unlimited time to grind.  IMO, thats a big no-no for a game touting "F2P" (vs trial demo).

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Wow I love how a post about "Gee isnt that nice of them, I got a warm fuzzt feeling, Thanks EA"  turned into "SWTOR sucks and they just copied and This game is better, and Gee it isn't Free enough"

All you haters just cannot resist an opportunity to smash SWTOR  even when the post was a "thanks" style

Please, go crawl back to your game that you love so much. I don't go there and say how your games suck rubber balls why do you all feel the need to make a "Thanks" post into your personal dumping ground. You don't like it don't play.

And to answer other questions:

The award is per account, yes it isn't enough to make a f2p into a premium, but f2p is never the focus OF ANY MMO *news flash* all f2p mmo want you to spend money not just mooch the game. STO, AION, Tera. . . All of them utilize the f2p style to GET YOU TO BUY. SWTOR is no different Your games are not special unique snowflakes.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier

Why would any game company care about people who are never going to dish any money towards the game?

If players can't afford $19.99 then they will have to be happy about having ability to level to 50.99 and enjoy the story.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Thanks, did not know that. A very nice surprise.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    snip

Lineage 2 never had a paid expansion. Its now completely free to play and, as alwyas, it gets a free expansion. Also, it was immensly more successful than SWTOR

EvE (as a sub game) never charged for expansion

LOTRO - you can buy expansion with free TP AT THE DAY OF RELEASE OF EXPANSION

Oh, i should mention, all those games have REAL expansion also, not content updates renamed to expansion.

The cost of SWTOR paid content update is either 25$ or 20$ (and, just to cut the nonsense, if you found the way to get this content update for 10$ without paying additional 15$, please, share it, there might be people interested in that)

F2P isnt an option any more in SWTOR, its now gone P2P again, so please refrain yourselves for mentiong F2P and SWTOR in relation. But that was obvious since november, but nooooooo, some people are just blind.

Amount of free points is around 700 (from what i gathered) per ACCOUNT. Cant even buy 1 armor set from CM lol.

Originally posted by mrrshann618

Wow I love how a post about "Gee isnt that nice of them, I got a warm fuzzt feeling, Thanks EA"  turned into "SWTOR sucks and they just copied and This game is better, and Gee it isn't Free enough"

All you haters just cannot resist an opportunity to smash SWTOR  even when the post was a "thanks" style

Please, go crawl back to your game that you love so much. I don't go there and say how your games suck rubber balls why do you all feel the need to make a "Thanks" post into your personal dumping ground. You don't like it don't play.

And to answer other questions:

The award is per account, yes it isn't enough to make a f2p into a premium, but f2p is never the focus OF ANY MMO *news flash* all f2p mmo want you to spend money not just mooch the game. STO, AION, Tera. . . All of them utilize the f2p style to GET YOU TO BUY. SWTOR is no different Your games are not special unique snowflakes.

The inherent problem with your argument is that the people posting actually love SWTOR, or want to love SWTOR.

Criticizing EA or SWTOR doesn't qualify someone as a hater in my eyes.  I think blind acceptance of everything is more detremental to SWTOR than anything "haters" could throw at it.

Blind acceptance without discussion is driving more players away than those being drawn to the game.  It's a form of eliticism, though some will deny it.  I mean, look at the official forums - someone brings up a big concern, and posters tell them if they don't like it go away, etc.  It's pretty brutal, and if I was ever a new player who went to the SWTOR forums, I would walk away, fast.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Why would any game company care about people who are never going to dish any money towards the game?

If players can't afford $19.99 then they will have to be happy about having ability to level to 50.99 and enjoy the story.

You see, this line of thinking is what got SWTOR in trouble in first place. SWTOR made that free for a reason. Unfortunately, that reason will resurface again soon, so if ill ever be bothered to go through Makeb ill just wait it to go "F2P"... again.

Originally posted by mnwild1998
    Originally posted by tintilinic
    snip

Lineage 2 never had a paid expansion. Its now completely free to play and, as alwyas, it gets a free expansion. Also, it was immensly more successful than SWTOR

Oh, i should mention, all those games have REAL expansion also, not content updates renamed to expansion.

The cost of SWTOR paid content update is either 25$ or 20$ (and, just to cut the nonsense, if you found the way to get this content update for 10$ without paying additional 15$, please, share it, there might be people interested in that)

F2P isnt an option any more in SWTOR, its now gone P2P again, so please refrain yourselves for mentiong F2P and SWTOR in relation. But that was obvious since november, but nooooooo, some people are just blind.

Amount of free points is around 700 (from what i gathered) per ACCOUNT. Cant even buy 1 armor set from CM lol.

• Subscribers save 50% off the Regular Price - Only $9.99 ($19.99 Regular Price).
    • Players who pre-order Rise of the Hutt Cartel receive an exclusive title and two new in-game items when the Digital Expansion launches!
    • Not a Subscriber? Upgrade Now.

Yep looks like $9.99 to me.

I guess you didn't understand the underlying argument.  But as your post even suggests, it will cost sub+$9.99 to get the expansion.

= $25 (for subscribers)

or $20 for freemiums, which is sad for them because this is a horrible F2P modeled game, so they would need to spend $hundreds more .. hence the reason why F2P isn't working out so hot in a "Free but you need to pay" type game.

Originally posted by tintilinic
    snip

• Subscribers save 50% off the Regular Price - Only $9.99 ($19.99 Regular Price).
    • Players who pre-order Rise of the Hutt Cartel receive an exclusive title and two new in-game items when the Digital Expansion launches!
    • Not a Subscriber? Upgrade Now.

Yep looks like $9.99 to me.

I guess you didn't understand the underlying argument.  But as your post even suggests, it will cost sub+$9.99 to get the expansion.

= $25

That arguement is flawed at best.  Those who sub have been subbing.  Therefore this is just an extra $9.99 one time purchase.  I have a car payment of $300/month I need an oil change once a month at $19.99 that doesnt mean my oil change cost $319.99

Ill get you a GREAT deal! Its so awesome!

If you increase to 400$/month for same car and same lenght YOU WILL GET 50% OFF OF YOUR OIL CHANGE and it will will cost you ONLY 9.99$.

Awesome deal lol