Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Odyssey Ship Rebalancing

Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I am curious as to what EVE playing MMORPG.com posters think about it all? A lot of ships are seeing significant changes. I know this will tick off some players that skilled for them but some changes are needed while others have me scratching my head. I have been looking at the battleships in particular.

The Cavalry Raven for example seems to have been royally screwed both as a mission runner and PVP ship and FIRMLY replaced by the Typhoon (which has been made into the best missile ship in game.) Adding 5 turrets to the Typhoon seems wrong now too. I am actually wondering if new and mid-seasoned Caldari players are going to be forced into skilling for the Rohk to do missions and incursions from the get go? Then there is the Armaggedon turning into a neut n drone boat or a real rival for the Dominix which is loosing some of that magic. I don’t get why they thought the Maelstrom needed to be a “better fleet ship” either considering their blob use now.

Battleships are being tooled into kind of a strange place and they don’t look like as strong a group of ships as they used too over all with a few of stand outs (Hyperion, Armageddon, Typhoon.) Will they still have a strong role outside the blob with the navy BCs inbound?

What are you folks thinking about it all?

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Are we looking at the same Raven here? I'm looking at the one that lost some meaningless drone bandwidth, some shield hitpoints that are only marginally relevant to an active tanked PvE fit, and that gained significant speed, a LOT of extra fitting, moved a useless high to a highly useful mid and had it's sig dropped to 370m, small enough that it will start to see a small damage reduction vs BS weapons when moving, or a moderate reduction while afterburning.

New Raven looks quite a lot better for mission running to me. I'm hoping like hell that CCP migrate the changes to my mission CNR as well. An extra slot for a Target Painter is awesome for BS missile boats.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139

Geddon change should be interesting. Cheap Bhaal?

• willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Are we looking at the same Raven here? I'm looking at the one that lost some meaningless drone bandwidth, some shield hitpoints that are only marginally relevant to an active tanked PvE fit, and that gained significant speed, a LOT of extra fitting, moved a useless high to a highly useful mid and had it's sig dropped to 370m, small enough that it will start to see a small damage reduction vs BS weapons when moving, or a moderate reduction while afterburning.

New Raven looks quite a lot better for mission running to me. I'm hoping like hell that CCP migrate the changes to my mission CNR as well. An extra slot for a Target Painter is awesome for BS missile boats.

What he said.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

My opinion of the Raven revamp stands until such time as I see what they are actually going to do with the tweaks to missiles and torps. Then I’ll know how it REALLY pans out. Maybe I am being crazy (it’s what I am) and over reacting to the change. A lot of the ship tweaks are still in flux based on forum feedback. It at 420 sig now?

Anyway that all you got? :) No thoughts on any of the other ship changes to share just you think I am crazy on the Raven. Well... :P to you too.

Cheap Bhall on the current geddon fit? IDK man it has similarities.

Bhaalgorn
    Slot layout: 7H, 4M, 7L
    Amarr BS: 15% bonus to Energy Vampire and Energy Neutralizer drain amount per level
    Minmatar BS: 20% bonus to Stasis Web range per level
    Defense: S 9317 /  A 10500 / H 9298
    Cap : 7500

Armageddon
    Slot layout: 7H, 4M, 7L
    +10% to Drone damage and HP per level
    +10% Energy Neut and Vamp range per level
    Defense) : S 6,800 / A  8,500 / H 8,000
    Cap: 6200

The Bhaal is still souped up and a scary ship. Aside from the obvious it’s a question of range vs effect on the nuets. Which do you want? I really like the flexibility of the new geddon and they added 5 launchers as an option last check now.  Very versatile ship in the works.

There are pics up now of pirate faction rookie ships. Cool. Playable faction pirate characters coming or jut a special edition ship? An exploration cruiser has been shown as well. I am not sure how I feel about the stats on it. (looked OP.)  I admit that I always wanted a probe / scan bonused exploration cruiser for each faction (not t3.)

Looks like a great expansion in the works regardless for this summer. 

The Bhaal and the NewGeddon will have different applications on the battlefield. The Geddon will lack the capwar efficiency the Bhaal has (ie the amount of cap it has to spend to destroy one point of target cap), not to mention the midslots. Bhaals will be for destroying primary targets like capitals; geddons will be useful for harassing nano and logis.

I personally welcome the BS changes, they'll shake up the battlefield meta, and give us a lot of fun over the next 18 months or so developing new fleet doctrines. Are they perfectly balanced? No, not even close, but the idea that you can perfectly balance 400 different ships is laughable. And even if it were possible, it would be undesirable. Who would want stasis? Who would want any possible given fleet type to be a solved problem?

I stand by my analysis of the new raven as a PvE platform. Torps are almost unused in PvP or PvE* as it is, so whatever Fozzie does with them, he cant make them much less useful than they are now.

*Except on stealth bombers, which have such crazy bonuses that they're basically a different weapon.

• krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139

Here is the change I really like and really hope it goes through:

-10% capacitor need for Large Pulse Lasers
    -20% capacitor need for Large Beam Lasers
    -10% powergrid need for Large Beam Lasers

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Yep feeling the laser love. I also might have to rethink my impressions on the Raven due to the cruise missile changes for Odyssey posted today. It looks a bit more frightful now. They are posted HERE.

My mission CNR* will do 1124 missile DPS with this change. And if the CNR inherits the extra mid, I'll get a slot for a target painter to further increase effective DPS.

The Age of the Mission Machariel is coming to an end.

The Age of Ravens has begun.

*Caldari BS 5, Cruise Missile Spec 4, 4x CN Ballistic Controls, +5% RoF, +5% Explosion Velocity, +5% Precision implants.