Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you hate flytext in MMOs as much as I do?

FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Just a quick poll I wanted to do, because turning off flytext is usually the first thing I do when playing a new MMO.

I find it distracting and useless to see tons of numbers floating around like crazy.

Your opinion?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Comments

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Depends on how obtrusive it is and the type of game im playing, but for me its a yes in most cases.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I deliberately turned it on in Defiance, so I guess that answers that question.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75

I don't like to look at logs, so I sometimes keep it on for myself and my target only, but that's all.

I think it could be a desirable feature in games that stick to small numbers (large numbers make it harder to balance anyway).  When people are constantly doing hundreds or thousands of damage, it's generally just a pointless jumble of numbers that doesn't really inform your gameplay--might as well not even know how much you're doing.

I actually dislike it more for names and guilds, since it's so much clutter.  I've always wished games would allow me to only see my friends' names--that'd be great.

Related note, I wish MMOs would stop spelling everything out for you and actually make you think--of course that fails when they make it such a nuisance that you end up looking online instead.  I don't mind looking around for Bastardo the shopkeep, but at least point me in the right direction and tell me what the guy looks like.  I don't need to see his name overhead, and I especially don't need a cursor dragging me to him.  I like when my MMO makes some effort to be a living world.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I dislike flying numbers. Does anyone know if turning them off in Vanguard is an option? If so, I might get back into that game.

BTW, I made a similar poll two weeks ago :P Two-thirds of the 19 voters preferred non flying text. LOL 19 voters. oh well.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380793

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Of course i need the numbers. Otherwise how do you get a feel of your DPS/power?

A DPS meter will of course be more accurate but some flying text is a good signal.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Where's the indifferent 'I-don't-give-a-shit' option? 

meh... As far as numbers go, if it's big or surprising I'd just look at the log later to find out what hit me. In combat I'd be more focused on the healthbars.

I will say that I do prefer looking at flytext for monitoring things like 'Block' and 'Parry' or special attacks which stand out a lot more than just one more line in a scrolling combat log.

• EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Of course i need the numbers. Otherwise how do you get a feel of your DPS/power?

A DPS meter will of course be more accurate but some flying text is a good signal.

A better question: Why should you care?  Why is the game so boring that we have to sit around and wonder how much damage our attack did, when we already know that we're doing the best possible combination of attacks?  Why don't we have something better to think about, like our next move?

Ok, so several better questions, but the point stands.  The numbers are pretty meaningless feedback 99% of the time.  Just something for you to admire to distract you from the fact that you're barely even playing the game.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Everwest

A better question: Why should you care?  Why is the game so boring that we have to sit around and wonder how much damage our attack did, when we already know that we're doing the best possible combination of attacks?  Why don't we have something better to think about, like our next move?

Ok, so several better questions, but the point stands.  The numbers are pretty meaningless feedback 99% of the time.  Just something for you to admire to distract you from the fact that you're barely even playing the game.

Why should we care if we're doing alot of damage(assuming we're a dps class)? Is that a serious question?

You act like all we're doing is having our eyes glued to the white numbers and aren't reacting to whatever the situation is and planning our next move or in most games cases, just using a rotation. The reason you don't have something better to think about is cause pretty much all games pve can be done with a rotation for the most part, yes even GW2/Tera.

The numbers are far from meaningless, they tell you alot of information if you care to better yourself as a dps char. Or even a tank if you're getting hit to hard, they tell you when you need to use a defensive cooldown. Or a healer, they tell you when you need to back the fuck out cause you shouldnt be getting hit.

No one who actually uses floating text are staring at it 24/7, most often they use it as another indicator that they're taking big hits and need to move or do something or its in their peripheral vision while they play and they're noting if they need more crit, more attack power, more defense, etc.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by versulas

Where's the indifferent 'I-don't-give-a-shit' option? 

^this

*indifference is enabled

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by Everwest

Because i like to do if i have enough DPS to kill the elite before it kills me? Because i like to know if the combination of skill A and gear B gives more DPS than skill C and gear D?

Because a damage of 10000 feels more powerful than 100?

The numbers help me to think about my next move.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i would have voted 'i don't care' if that was an option.  most games i've played give you the option to turn off scrolling battle text.  i like to see the numbers when im pvp'ing or doing group content.  it's much easier to process info with it than having to look all around your screen. 
    Originally posted by muffins89
    i would have voted 'i don't care' if that was an option.  most games i've played give you the option to turn off scrolling battle text.  i like to see the numbers when im pvp'ing or doing group content.  it's much easier to process info with it than having to look all around your screen. 

Actually i wouldn't mind a DPS meter like recount ... it is more accurate and useful. But in the absence of that, flying text will do.