Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deal Breakers

HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I have found that a lot of MMO-gamers, in respects to MMO's, tend to be skeptical to down right pesmistic about giving an MMO a chance. And, I am sure even the more casual-fun-loving of us tend to - at times - look for what is wrong with a game before looking for what is right with it.

[ We may end up buying a subscription to the game or at least putting out the bare minimum in cash shop currency, for the ability to trade above a certain buck. So, like at any used car lot, kicking the tires and pointing out the dings is not unfair. We need to discover how much time, effort, and potentially money we are willing to put into an MMO afterall.]

And, that said...

-  What are those first things you notice about a new-to-you MMO, that are tells for what you consider a bad game?

-  Furthermore, what is your cut off point; That summit at which you say to yourself "Iv'e seen enough' and click the x button, not even bothering to sign out properly?

-  And, has it ever been so generically done, buggy, laggy, bot filled, sparse, or other wise displeasing that you imeddiately un-install the game and all of it's related files not wishing your machine to be tainted by it's presence? Or do you generally leave the launcher be for a while intending to check back on it in a few months and see if it has gotten better?

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

The words "Aventurine" or  "Browser Based" are signs that the game isn't good or for me.

When the game is barely functional, such as UI elements simply not working, or incredible lag or issues well after launch.  Or if it seems it's a safe harbor fo racist, sexist, and pedo comments with no intervention from the game company such as TERA.  I delete it then with no regrets.

There have been games I rid my computer of soon after install.  Usually I don't remember much about them either after, so I can't recall a specific example just yet.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

come to think of it the ones I did completely zap myself... I don't rememebr much about either, lol...guess they were not worth remembering.

And I can't stand completely unmoderated chats. I do a like a bit more of a mature level chat, where the game itself as a rating that doesn't let kiddies in and people can raz each other a bit. But it's good to have a mod in there who actually gives a damn and keeps it away from stuff like religion and politics or just downright sickening discussion.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I tend to keep an open mind about games, though I'm more skeptical of F2P games, given the pay to win past.

I've never really run into a game that was just so bad, I couldn't play it, but there were a few games that I played for an extremely short period of time before realizing "this game isn't for me" - Mortal Online, DDO for example. 

And I think the only game I removed in disgust was Darkfall Unholy Wars.  Not gonna get started on it - it's better left dead to me...

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

F2P is a dealbreaker.

"Quest chains" as well- Tired of being force fed a "heroixc story" where everyone is doing the same story.,, How is "my guy" unique if we all slayed the same dragon uner the same circumstances and we all resued the farmers basement from the same rats?

-Which is why the Hobby is pretty much dead for me ATM. =(

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

static worlds.. if the game feels like a diorama it's an automatic turn-off for me

others are bad CC, lack of options/diversity in skills or classes, bad animations, and bad character models

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    any game that doesnt support WASD movement is a broken deal. A big no no for me. Dont even bother. I would pick a buggy game over a point and click game any day. Companies tend to fix bugs faster than adding WASD to a point and click game. Thats the number 1 deal breaker to me. Thats why i dont bother playing rts and mobas.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    If its an MMO based off a singleplayer game or famous franchise, but is nothing like the singleplayer game and only uses the famous franchise as a cash-in.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Open world PvP is the breaker for me.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Games with permanent weapons that cost as much as two or three months of sub fees = uninstalled or ignored completely. All Points Bulletin to this day is the only game i regretted ever buying/paying a sub for. It lasted about as long as a Kardashian Wedding then one RTW died and Gamersfirst took over and perm weapons fully modded/upgraded hit the cash shop for $40-$50+ USD i logged out and never played it again.

I can tolerate most anything else.

edited because i have fat fingers and his the wrong keys :X

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by itbewilly

Games with permanent weapons that cost as much as two or three months of sub fees = uninstalled or ignored completely. All Points Bulletin to this day is the only game i regretted every buying/paying a sub for. It lasted about as long as a Kardashian Wedding then one RTW died and Gamersfirst took over and perm weapons fully modded/upgraded hit the cash shop for $40-$50+ USD i logged out and never played it again.

I agree they really killed their own market with their whole weapon prices and gambling to get gear (Nano) thing.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by itbewilly

Games with permanent weapons that cost as much as two or three months of sub fees = uninstalled or ignored completely. All Points Bulletin to this day is the only game i regretted every buying/paying a sub for. It lasted about as long as a Kardashian Wedding then one RTW died and Gamersfirst took over and perm weapons fully modded/upgraded hit the cash shop for $40-$50+ USD i logged out and never played it again.

I agree they really killed their own market with their whole weapon prices and gambling to get gear (Nano) thing.

That and the whole removing the driving missions just because the less skilled players couldnt drive for shit or were too cheap to buy a decent handling car. I could do chase missions for hours in APB pre-G1. 

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

cash shops

browser based

made for casuals

• LuxferreGamingLuxferreGaming Member Posts: 12
    If the game is tab target I immediatly hate it and uninstall it. I like to PvP; I like PvP that takes skill and aiming, not some math based random chance tab target BS that most MMO's dish out. Unfortunatly Darkfall and DF Unholy Wars were/are garbage.
  • MMO-BPMMO-BP Member Posts: 21
    I'm always skeptical when someone gives a lot of superlatives but has nothing to show for it. Greed Monger is a good example of that. Lots of promises of pie in the sky features but none of them are implemented. It's easy to make claims, it's a lot harder to implement it properly into a game. 

I didn't actually mention my deal breakers, come to think of it.

For me, it starts more basic then a lot of what I have read in replies here. And, it gets a lot more in depth. I have learned to become rather analytical about the whole thing and getting started in an MMO before I actually feel put at ease and can begin to enjoy the game itself.

A Game passes certain check points in my mind. That merit me going a little further down the rabbit hole until such a point where I find things unacceptable. I like to look at a new-to-me MMO from the perspective of 'How well done are it's aspects as I encounter them. I start with assumption of excellence (every MMO to start with in my mind has a perfect grade A score and can only loose points for short commings). To give you an idea, here is an example of my mental process:

[ I have no intention of writing a book or guide at this point on how I choose to grade the quality of an mmo - when and if I do it will be in my blog - so below I will describe just the first area I look at - their website - as it is the portal to getting into the game and the first thing I encounter] :

Website registration, navigability and depth of content:

[-1]  If getting registered Requires 2 or more seperate accounts to be made and one of them takes me off site to that of something like a parent companies game (one overall parent company billing account, one actual game account, one forum for that game account etc.).

[-1]  If registration confirmation emails don't send in a timely fashion...If i can't pick my own password to start. And, failing that can't copy paste the completely random hard to remember one they give me (like have to type it in manually).

[-1] Low level (2 or less) of information entropy with passwords. Furthermore, while there should be an ability to have a more secure password should the player so choose the minimum requirements for a password should be fairly low. [Additionally there should also be at least a login pin for indiovidual characters once in game].

[-1] No Wikia or game guide, or one that is sparsely populated...And, aside from player made guides on things like how to structure a characters training along a certain path or steps to making some initial funds in-game for character advancment such guides as to general game play and information on items and monsters do not belong in the forums, in my mind and shouldn't be placed there.

[-1] A high degree of adds spam, link and clickable things that can easily take me away from my goal on the website. And, otherwise, simply slopy layout and design for the site...when it is just not esthetically pleasing thats a big negative.

Now, as you most likely have gleened from the above I have a process that goes a lot deeper then what I have shown. It may seem a little over analytical. but it is something I have developed as a mental checklist over time and to me it is a process that moves as fast as getting started in a new-to-me MMO. A lot of friends say I give up on some games (worth mentioning that they suggest a try) too easily.

But, I have found in each stage of my mental checks...if it constantly fails to meet my standards then it isn't likely to redeem itself anytime soon. If I go from website, to dowload/install, to character creation and it has already fallen well below a grade D. Then I get in game and find the engine is the exact same engine from a game i had just tried recently and there is an NPC with a huge marker and he wants me for what ever justification to go kill the nearest low level creatures until i get so many items...time to hit the X button *shrugs*

There is a reason that generically made games are often the worste offenders in my mind... and that is because we have seen it before. it's old, Try watching a mediocre movie 4 times in a row. You will probably get sick of it sooner or later. To me it isd not because we view them as not trying. Or ripping off another game we really enjoyed. Just more simply, it bores us...And we are there to be entertained not bored.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Currently it is just two:

- level-based progression + open world PVP (ex: Aion)

- "indie" developer + sandbox + open world PVP (ex: Xsyon)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

A few people have said open world PvP now. And I must confess I am not all too certain as to what is meant by that...

But, if it is anything like Aika online was I can understand it easily being a failed design aspect. Aika Online had it as PvP everywhere (there was a non-PvP server but you recieved less experience for playing on it). That isn't to say newbs were constantly killed and could never progress. Areas that were meant for lower levels were typically hard to reach and survive in accept by the strongest players. And their interest when breaking into these areas was mainly high difficulty loot.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Horusra
    Open world PvP is the breaker for me.
    That is mine, too.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Helleri
    A few people have said open world PvP now. And I must confess I am not all too certain as to what is meant by that...But, if it is anything like Aika online was I can understand it easily being a failed design aspect. Aika Online had it as PvP everywhere (there was a non-PvP server but you recieved less experience for playing on it). That isn't to say newbs were constantly killed and could never progress. Areas that were meant for lower levels were typically hard to reach and survive in accept by the strongest players. And their interest when breaking into these areas was mainly high difficulty loot.
    Open World PvP is just that, PvP everywehere. Some games try to give players a "safe zone", like their starting city. Think of it as your character is always flagged for PvP. For me, that is just too much "excitement."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

agreed, and a breeding ground for trolls.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

A few people have said open world PvP now. And I must confess I am not all too certain as to what is meant by that...

But, if it is anything like Aika online was I can understand it easily being a failed design aspect. Aika Online had it as PvP everywhere (there was a non-PvP server but you recieved less experience for playing on it). That isn't to say newbs were constantly killed and could never progress. Areas that were meant for lower levels were typically hard to reach and survive in accept by the strongest players. And their interest when breaking into these areas was mainly high difficulty loot.

Open World PvP is just that, PvP everywehere. Some games try to give players a "safe zone", like their starting city. Think of it as your character is always flagged for PvP. For me, that is just too much "excitement."

Yeah agreed. You can't fight all the time and have to watch your back all the time. It is too exhausting for most people.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Deal breakers....a deal breaker for me is definitely unstable servers. Lag issues and constant disconnects, nothing gets me angry quicker than experience repeated server failures...im looking at you Tera(though they finally fixed it after a month)

Another deal breaker are games where i'm forced to party to level up. Not many exist so i don't run into it very often but FFXI when it was released was this way.

Another deal breaker is if its a game with a cash shop, and you can buy armor/weapon/acessories that give you badass stats/extra sockets/etc.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... 

-  What are those first things you notice about a new-to-you MMO, that are tells for what you consider a bad game?

-  Furthermore, what is your cut off point; That summit at which you say to yourself "Iv'e seen enough' and click the x button, not even bothering to sign out properly?

-  And, has it ever been so generically done, buggy, laggy, bot filled, sparse, or other wise displeasing that you imeddiately un-install the game and all of it's related files not wishing your machine to be tainted by it's presence? Or do you generally leave the launcher be for a while intending to check back on it in a few months and see if it has gotten better?

First thing is the character customization.

I've clicked the "x" button at char cust before.

Usually get it's taint out.  I have a little time in this world and I'm not wasting it.  If it didn' t start great it's not going to end great.