Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It seems Mark Jacobs hasn't learned much after all

dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

1) going P2P in an age where P2P means certain MMO death

2) Expecting F2P to die out? "Check back with me in about 3-5 years. There’s a major storm coming in the FTP space whether people/publishers want to hear it or not"

3) Saying that stealthers were overpowered in DAoC and their damage needs to be toned down. They were only because of buffbots. Unbuffed stealthers were actually severely underpowered.

4) Looking for alternative stealth systems when DAoC's was perfectly fine

5) Claiming that archers were tab targetting when the tab range was so short no archer used it when shooting a bow.

6) No PvP server at launch

7) Adding mounts that give same speed as speed classes (which would make them worthless)

8) Kickstarter tiers completely unbalanced. If you can't make a proper kickstarter campaign can you make a proper MMO?

9) Asking himself why there's so few backers when the cheap tiers are completely unattractive 

10) Constantly talking highly of GW2, which means we will see some of its failed systems copied  in CU

11) "burning corpses" sounds a lot like the GW2 downed mechanic already

12) WoW-like Addons. Are you ready to have to play like this to be competitive? http://aionicthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/worstui.jpg

13) The misconception that somehow downtime after death makes the game better. DAoC BGs had instant rez and were more fun than any PvP I have played.

14) Even considering CD after the WAR disaster

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

No PvP servers? This is a PvP game.

I do agree on fucked up tiers

50-175 gets in-game credits. 250 USD does not.

And that it is dangerous to have sub on a PvP game. But I did pledge 250 USD

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Flame much?

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

There will be RvR servers but not (FFA) PvP servers.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    1) going P2P in an age where P2P means certain MMO death 2) Expecting F2P to die out? "Check back with me in about 3-5 years. There’s a major storm coming in the FTP space whether people/publishers want to hear it or not" 3) Saying that stealthers were overpowered in DAoC and their damage needs to be toned down. They were only because of buffbots. Unbuffed stealthers were actually severely underpowered. 4) Looking for alternative stealth systems when DAoC's was perfectly fine 5) Claiming that archers were tab targetting when the tab range was so short no archer used it when shooting a bow. 6) No PvP server at launch 7) Adding mounts that give same speed as speed classes (which would make them worthless) 8) Kickstarter tiers completely unbalanced. If you can't make a proper kickstarter campaign can you make a proper MMO? 9) Asking himself why there's so few backers when the cheap tiers are completely unattractive  10) Constantly talking highly of GW2, which means we will see some of its failed systems copied  in CU 11) "burning corpses" sounds a lot like the GW2 downed mechanic already 12) WoW-like Addons. Are you ready to have to play like this to be competitive? http://aionicthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/worstui.jpg 13) The misconception that somehow downtime after death makes the game better. DAoC BGs had instant rez and were more fun than any PvP I have played. 14) Even considering CD after the WAR disaster

First of, yes WAR was a disaster. But that means MJ learned a lession. He won't be doing the same mistakes. If he would you sure would have all right to complain about, but atm give him a chance.

Second. Its really easy to criticize, but not that easy to creat a game. Or have you made a MMORPG with RvR that I played for 7 years and enjoyed a hell of a lot?

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

2) Expecting F2P to die out? "Check back with me in about 3-5 years. There’s a major storm coming in the FTP space whether people/publishers want to hear it or not"

3) Saying that stealthers were overpowered in DAoC and their damage needs to be toned down. They were only because of buffbots. Unbuffed stealthers were actually severely underpowered.

5) Claiming that archers were tab targetting when the tab range was so short no archer used it when shooting a bow.

7) Adding mounts that give same speed as speed classes (which would make them worthless)

8) Kickstarter tiers completely unbalanced. If you can't make a proper kickstarter campaign can you make a proper MMO?

9) Asking himself why there's so few backers when the cheap tiers are completely unattractive  

10) Constantly talking highly of GW2, which means we will see some of its failed systems copied  in CU

12) WoW-like Addons. Are you ready to have to play like this to be competitive? http://aionicthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/worstui.jpg

13) The misconception that somehow downtime after death makes the game better. DAoC BGs had instant rez and were more fun than any PvP I have played.

1) P2P is death for mmos with severe issues. It's not the model itself.

2) That one is sketchy =p It deserves its own topic to argue about. I think many will dislike the f2p model after gw2 though. Seeing how little they add to the game.

3) I don't get this one either. I don't think they were overpowered.... there was a reason stealth wars came about to begin with and that was they were too weak in a group setting (sure niche groups found a use for archers at BG bots sometimes, but not assassins).

4)  It was fine, but if it means stealthers are stronger in a group setting I'll live with it.

5) True story, tab targeting archers came when they revamped the archery into physical damage casters. Point blank shot spam for all... such a terrible mistake. 

6) Mordred and andred failed faster than any other server in the game other than co-op, I loved it personally, but I understand why it probably won't be in game. 

7) He said mounts will be SLOWER than speed classes. 

8/9) Haven't looked through the tiers in depth, I didn't mind the $25 one though.

10) Yeah, projectiles being body blocked has already been mentioned.

11) If that's what he means the flood of angry tears would drown him. 

12) This has me worried as well.

13) Downtime after death is a huge boon after War (30s run to the action, no downtime) and GW2 (get lucky and insta port back into the zergs face if they're in your keep). Those two games are just a zerg of the dead returning to pummel you over and over again. It's hard to make progress when you're killing the same guys every minute.

14) Can't argue, I think CD would be terrible.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

What are you talking about no credit for higher tier?

Check that out : http://camelotunchained.com/en/reward-tiers-matrix/

Unless you take the lifetime sub, which is still quite worth it.

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    When you're talking about the tiers, make sure you notice that many of them say "All of XXX tier, plus:".  You get everything from the lower tier with that. 
  • morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

1) Not true. If it goes F2P im not gonna play it. People who backed this game looks like have money don't worry. 10$ is nothing

2) He might not be right about it. F2P has it place. But sub games also has it's place.

3) That's true, he is not right on this topic. I felt like they were kinda balanced and cool in the same time

4) true

5) true

6) we don't know it yet, it depends on how many people will buy the game that's for sure.

7) using your agrument, adding speed class while mounts are faster would make speed class worthless. What's more it force people to grp and communicate which is good

8) Imho they are balanced

9) YES. Let's make low tier as attractive as high tiers, so everyone donate only 25$. 25$ tier is attractive enough. 

10) huh? Where do you take it from? I don't think so

11) if it happens im not gonna play this game

12) if this happens, this game is gonna suck badly, but we don't know how info (API) for creating UI will be implemented. It doesn't neet to look like this. There is no info about addons yet. Can Mark confirm if there will be addons?

13) What instant rez? There wasn't instant rez, you had always rez sickness. You had to use ML8 or instant rez Ralm ability in order to not to have rez sicknes.

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179

1) going P2P in an age where P2P means certain MMO death - Yes. Please. Do tell me how that is also working out for EvE (you know, that subscription based niche game with very little PvE and mostly PvP / Community based economy) is failing and doomed to certain death.

2) Expecting F2P to die out? "Check back with me in about 3-5 years. There’s a major storm coming in the FTP space whether people/publishers want to hear it or not" - Nobody (with the exception of your implication here) claimed that FTP is dieing. It is just not the only way to go here. I for one refuse to play F2P games where my advancement and fun are determined solely by 5% of whale players with nothing better to spend their money and time on. FTP is just another word for P2W. No thanks.

3) Saying that stealthers were overpowered in DAoC and their damage needs to be toned down. They were only because of buffbots. Unbuffed stealthers were actually severely underpowered. - Umm. No. Buffbots made every class untenable at times, but stealthers were by no means "severely underpowered". Maybe yours was? I am not sure. There were many stealthers on my server who did just fine, both pre and post buffbot.

4) Looking for alternative stealth systems when DAoC's was perfectly fine - Getting one shotted as a caster by a stealther when he crit you, and then remaining in stealth was not perfectly fine. Granted, a caster who stood around long enough was bound to get beat down, it was still a little bit too much.

Regardless of all the bitching about stealth and balance, this game is not DAoC. Deal with that.

5) Claiming that archers were tab targetting when the tab range was so short no archer used it when shooting a bow. - I didn't play an archer, I can't attest to this one way or the other. It doesn't really matter though since I don't give a shit how other players target or not.

6) No PvP server at launch - Excuse me while I guffaw a little bit at everyone demanding a 'PvP' server in a game that has stated repeatedly that it is completely based around .... wait for it..... waaaaaaaaaait for it..... PvP / RvR. Really? You need a super dooper special server to PvP on when every server is in essence a PvP server? Heh... heheheh

7) Adding mounts that give same speed as speed classes (which would make them worthless) - Your information is wrong here. It has been stated that 1) There will most likely not be any mounts on release (unless it is a yet to be announced stretch goal), and 2) If there are mounts implemented in the game, they will NOT be faster than speed classes. Speed classes will still be faster than mounts.

8) Kickstarter tiers completely unbalanced. If you can't make a proper kickstarter campaign can you make a proper MMO? - You feel like they're completely unbalanced because? You can't have your cake and eat it too? Your decisions matter? In comparison to other game Kickstarters, they put more thought and effort into the design of their tiers than any other Kickstarter before them. The really cool thing? If you don't like something, or have a suggestion to make them better, they've been more than willing to work on them by making additions / edits and so forth.

9) Asking himself why there's so few backers when the cheap tiers are completely unattractive - CU's cheap tiers are no more unattractive than any other game kickstarter. You at the least get a copy of the game which is far more than the value of what you get with other lesser tiers that don't give you jack shit. You're grasping at straws here.

10) Constantly talking highly of GW2, which means we will see some of its failed systems copied  in CU - What should he do? Go around bashing the shit out of every game ever made except for his own? I'm sorry, but in the business world, in an industry where many of your friends and previous or future co-workers will be involved in other games, you do the right thing and give credit where credit is due. Your assumption that he will implement any of its failed systems is just that and nothing more.  

11) "burning corpses" sounds a lot like the GW2 downed mechanic already - Another assumption. Possibly valid, but you really have no idea. At all. You're just tossing shit into the wind to complain about with this one considering we have so little information on the details and MJ has already stated in several interviews that he does not like systems where a person springs back up after being killed.

12) WoW-like Addons. Are you ready to have to play like this to be competitive?  Nobody told anyone in any game ever to have a ridiculous amount of addons like the one you're linking to here. If you don't like the way something looks or functions, then don't use it. Get a grip. The ability to completely customize my UI using something as simple as HTML is extremely appealing to me personally. This will allow me to write and design the functions that I desire and want without having to rely on someone else to develop it, design it, code it and maintain it in the hopes that it doesn't contain something game breaking or malicious. http://aionicthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/worstui.jpg

13) The misconception that somehow downtime after death makes the game better. DAoC BGs had instant rez and were more fun than any PvP I have played. - Again, this is just your take on it and a personal preference - which again happens to be the opposite of mine. I don't want the person I just killed coming back 10 seconds later, making my victory completely pointless. It is annoying, and death *should* be an annoyance to the person who lost - its a motivating factor to win. As a future dedicated healer, I expect to die quite a bit in the future.

That's fine, I can use the downtime to review my logs, see what worked best against me and what I was strong against (just like we used to do). I can take the time to make modifications to my strategy / armor / etc. to do better the next time. 

14) Even considering CD after the WAR disaster - I don't know in what context you're using 'CD' here - so I can't comment on this.

I understand that you seem disappointed by stealth, UI, and death penalty decisions from what I've read so far, but you're pitching a bitch fit when you haven't even heard or seen how any of these will actually function. The rest of the issues you bring up are wild and unfounded assumptions on your part.

Do better.

Originally posted by Odaman

1) P2P is death for mmos with severe issues. It's not the model itself.

2) That one is sketchy =p It deserves its own topic to argue about. I think many will dislike the f2p model after gw2 though. Seeing how little they add to the game.

3) I don't get this one either. I don't think they were overpowered.... there was a reason stealth wars came about to begin with and that was they were too weak in a group setting (sure niche groups found a use for archers at BG bots sometimes, but not assassins).

4)  It was fine, but if it means stealthers are stronger in a group setting I'll live with it.

5) True story, tab targeting archers came when they revamped the archery into physical damage casters. Point blank shot spam for all... such a terrible mistake. 

6) Mordred and andred failed faster than any other server in the game other than co-op, I loved it personally, but I understand why it probably won't be in game. 

7) He said mounts will be SLOWER than speed classes. 

8/9) Haven't looked through the tiers in depth, I didn't mind the $25 one though.

10) Yeah, projectiles being body blocked has already been mentioned.

11) If that's what he means the flood of angry tears would drown him. 

12) This has me worried as well.

13) Downtime after death is a huge boon after War (30s run to the action, no downtime) and GW2 (get lucky and insta port back into the zergs face if they're in your keep). Those two games are just a zerg of the dead returning to pummel you over and over again. It's hard to make progress when you're killing the same guys every minute.

14) Can't argue, I think CD would be terrible.

Agree on most of those but :

11)  If you read the sentence carefully :

"dead = dead, when dead your body can be burned/magically attacked by the enemy (takes time) or you can release."

You can see burning is in fact a forced release, and there will be nothing like GW2 down state.

14) Does CD means Cool Down? Because MJ already stated in a previous update than there will be no GCD.

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

Gotta have faith.  If have to put my faith in a group of shitbag developers I'm going with MJ and crew.  The guy knows what he is doing moreso than any of the other development groups out there working on the next gen of MMOs (IMO, of course).

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163

@Edany ; When he says "CD" he's referring to collision detection.

Took me a minute too, to decipher that.

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

If you think that DaoC's stealth system is perfectly fine then you lose all credability right there. You just want to be an OP'd god that can kill nearly every single class in the game with relative ease and for the rare times when you can't kill the class you can just press a button and get away.

That is not a balanced mechanic no matter how you try and spin it.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

1) going P2P in an age where P2P means certain MMO death DAOC and WAR are still alive as P2P games as are WOW, EVE, Rift, and a number of others, so... you're wrong.

2) Expecting F2P to die out? "Check back with me in about 3-5 years. There’s a major storm coming in the FTP space whether people/publishers want to hear it or not" That's Mark's opinion and that he's wrong is yours.

3) Saying that stealthers were overpowered in DAoC and their damage needs to be toned down. They were only because of buffbots. Unbuffed stealthers were actually severely underpowered. Yeah sure. Then why do people complain about stealther openers with stun in every game in which that exists? It's not because all those games have buffbots.

4) Looking for alternative stealth systems when DAoC's was perfectly fine DAOC's system was okay but perfect? No. There's no reason not to look at whether a few tweaks could make a better system.

5) Claiming that archers were tab targetting when the tab range was so short no archer used it when shooting a bow. Yeah I'm not a fan of the "archers must use reticles" idea. The kind of problem this is supposed to address only happened during the game's first year or so when people had crap gear and buff bots weren't common. Once they fixed stealth not dropping on a 1 shot and added nearsight, personal bladeturn for casters, better gear, buffed assassins into unbeatable archer finders, and every cleric, druid, and shaman went high enhance, archers were just one of many high damage ranged classes.

6) No PvP server at launch Uh. This is a good lesson Mark learned. FFA PvP servers are a waste of time. Their populations always quickly dwindle to nothing. They only appeal to a tiny fraction of a game's population over the long haul. Better to just say "no" from day 1 and let people who like that play style go to games that support it intrinsically.

7) Adding mounts that give same speed as speed classes (which would make them worthless) Where did you see that?

8) Kickstarter tiers completely unbalanced. If you can't make a proper kickstarter campaign can you make a proper MMO? It's not perfect, but there are excellent tiers to select at levels that most people can afford. Saying it's "completely unbalanced" is a huge exaggeration.

9) Asking himself why there's so few backers when the cheap tiers are completely unattractive You can get the game plus beta 3 access for $25. How is that not attractive?

10) Constantly talking highly of GW2, which means we will see some of its failed systems copied  in CU I've never seen Mark talk highly about GW 2 and I've been obsessively following what he says at various sites. When did he do that?

11) "burning corpses" sounds a lot like the GW2 downed mechanic already It sounds much simpler than downed mechanic. You don't get a chance to fight back. If you are dead but not burned, you can still be rezzed. If you are burned, you can stick around to watch the rest of the battle but you can't be rezzed and most ultimately release. That seems fine with me. It's just a small variation on what DAOC did really.

I don't get the impression the UI is going to have WOW-like addons.

13) The misconception that somehow downtime after death makes the game better. DAoC BGs had instant rez and were more fun than any PvP I have played. Instant rez is fine for a training ground like a BG. In the frontiers, death needs more meaning because the stakes are higher.

14) Even considering CD after the WAR disaster I'm not sure what CD is referring to here. We all know WAR was disappointing. CU is a new game and doesn't seem much like WAR from what Mark has said about it.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Ahhhh, thanks Hjamnr! 

I will give this a wait and see. I loved how it worked out in WAR personally. I loved having a front line or a 'wall' of tanks. That is that the tank class is for in theory, no? Eh, regardless, I'm in wait and see mode before bitching about anything. I've paid for the tier to get IT access, and that is where I will start taking notes and bitching.

Complaining about shit before its even developed is just... pointless.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Ziftylrhavic

What I was referrring to is the low brackets has in-game credits, 250 digital has not, and the rest has except 600 USD.

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70

Using an awful example of a modded UI is kind of unfair.  More options is a good thing, providing you have the playerbase to supply quality add-ons.  That picture demonstrates how not to lay out your interface, with much of the information being displayed twice.  I managed just fine with healbot, some action bars, and new unit frames.  It was much more efficient, and cleaner than the standard interface.

Why would you not want a fully customisable interface when most are inadequate, or at best clumsy?

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Mark Jacobs is a fcking HOAX !! I remember how he screwed us from behind with Warhammer. This guy running a kickstarter is probably as close as you would get to an fraud.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• OranguOrangu Member Posts: 32

I disagree with some of this and I also interpreted what Mark said differently.

Even with the recent surge of F2P games, People will pay if its a game worth playing. If people refuse to play a game because its not free that is unfortunate.

I don't think Mark was trying to convey that F2P is going to die out in 3-5 years, but that his model may change 3-5 years down the line to a F2P, like many P2P games do after their population dwindles.

Stop comparing things to DAoC, this is a separate title, to compare the game mechanics of DaoC to a brand new game that has nothing to do with that title is pointless.  More importantly stop taking anything Mark says about gameplay as being a direct reference to DAoC. Most of the time he is speaking with a general reference to the MMO genre.

The pledge tiers are fine and on par or exceed other projects that were successfully funded. Stop complaining! 

The way I interpreted burning corpses is that once you are dead you can be burned which would not allow the corpse's teammates to use a rez skill, he must release.

I don't believe he is saying downtime is better. He is trying to promote the value of life and strategy when you play. Is it worth the risk to charge in? The probabilty of death is high, but if the value of your charging in is worth the death penalty? Players will now have to play with strategy instead of reckless abandon knowing that they can poof be insta rezzed.

I enjoyed WAR. I do not blame Mark for the failings of WAR. I blame EA. EA rushed production and pushed out a unfinsihed product to try and generate what sales they could before the WoW expansion came out. IMO there has not been a fun/successful RVR game since WAR. 

What I was referrring to is the low brackets has in-game credits, 250 digital has not, and the rest has except 600 USD.

Well, you get a lifetime sub for only $250, i see why there is no thanks in game. Also, the $600 is not limited, meaning it will be mostly bought by people backing at the end, i get why you don't get any thanks there too. If you want the in game thanks, then buy a limited edition before they sell out, meaning in the early stage of KS.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Yeah, this is a pretty senseless decision. Considering that adding a name to the In-Game credits costs next to nothing for the team. There really was no reason not to give it to every tier above whatever threshold they chose.

Hi

• AiscenceAiscence Member Posts: 6

P2P games must turn F2P because they are bad, with boring and few content. If a game is good, it will have people who play it (Eve is the perfect exemple. Even rift is still P2P).

Mj said on reddit that he want mount to be slower, but more utility based. (carying Siege weapon and stuff)

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Got a link for this to prove P2P is dying and equals certain MMO death?

F2P is going to die out in my expert opinion as well. F2P games just feel severly lacking. Look at GW2 , TERA, AION, what a bunch of baloney.

So not true my Scout and Shade were untouchable unbuffed. I beat buffed people constantly... I question wether you really played or not.

Nah, constant stealth and vanish are just silly it's time for a change.

I used macros for my targeting so not sure on this one. I like to simplify my gameplay so I can eat sandwhichs while driving.

What you mean? The game is all PvP....

This is your opinion and not everyones.  The tiers are perfectly fine imo.

Think you should get to own your own island for 5 bucks?

That is pure speculation

What is the problem with borrowing mechanics? You obvously want him to make a DAoC 2.0

Addons and giving us coders the ability to do this makes the game live longer. One of the reasons WoW survived imo.

I like downtime, makes you think twice about being an idiot on the battlefield. Actually makes you become a better player imo.

I disagree with almost everything you said, you couldn't be more wrong in every aspect of your post. Just saying /shrug

I feel as though you really want a DAoC 2.0, your post screams it loudly.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

"Mounts are not a no but they aren't a priority because we will have a speed class. Even when/if we put them in, they will not move as fast as the speed class will but they will be very useful for carrying stuff around"

I missed the NOT in that sentence. So I take back my point (#7) about mounts.

Originally posted by DaSpack
    Mark Jacobs is a fcking HOAX !! I remember how he screwed us from behind with Warhammer. This guy running a kickstarter is probably as close as you would get to an fraud.

I hope you're reserving some of that bitter anger and hatred for Jeff Hickman, GW, and EA among many many others who had a big old helping hand in turning WAR into the flaming heap it was.

This discussion has been closed.