Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: PC or Xbox?

Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108

I'm considering getting Defiance today.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the PC or 360 would be more fun? Typically I havent really cared for FPS games on my PC but i would rather play it for the PC if gameplay is better.

On a side note, i have been itching for a MMO on my xbox...

Any insight would be great, thanks all =)

Comments

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I think the consoles and PC versions are all linked. However I'm not 100% sure. I play on the pc, but I use the xbox 360 game pad for it. The game isn't heavy for graphics for the pc, so its which ever you prefer. 6 and two 3s really
  • Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Thank you, i appreciate the info =)
  • JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    No problem, only difference is playing on the PC is cheaper. While those on xbox have to pay for their online game play.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Its the same experience in PS3, Xbox, PC. They dont play together but the game isnt any different in any system.

The only reason i got it on PC is because im getting rid of my 2 consoles when the PS4 come out so..... yeah, but i play with gamepad on PC and its wonderful.

I dont know how social its the console version but its very antisocial on PC. Nobody talks to nobody (unless you are in a social guild that uses team speak or something, which i dont use).

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

What drew me to Defiance was having an MMO on Xbox,  I just wanted to see if it worked well. Overall it's a good and fun game on Xbox, suits a controller, but the textures are a bit muddy.  So if clean/crisp graphics are your thing perhaps go with the PC.  It also takes quite a chunk of disk space on your Xbox, 10gb, with a rumored further 10gb of download.   So if you are tight on Xbox disk space it may be worth going PC just for that reason.  Other than that UI is probably more console friendly than PC and like I say does suit a controller.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by fallenlords

What drew me to Defiance was having an MMO on Xbox,  I just wanted to see if it worked well. Overall it's a good and fun game on Xbox, suits a controller, but the textures are a bit muddy.  So if clean/crisp graphics are your thing perhaps go with the PC.  It also takes quite a chunk of disk space on your Xbox, 10gb, with a rumored further 10gb of download.   So if you are tight on Xbox disk space it may be worth going PC just for that reason.  Other than that UI is probably more console friendly than PC and like I say does suit a controller.

I agree with you here. I got it on my PS3 because I wanted a console MMO and I'm enjoying it a ton. I hope PS4 gets some MMOs on it too like Everquest Next. The one thing I like about consoles is that you know when you pop the disk into your system that it'll run, and hardware won't be an issue (most of the time). You don't want to know how many times I've loaded a game on my computer only to find that I have to troubleshoot it for hours before I can get it to work. If the game dosn't work on one console, chances are everyone else will have the same problem too.

I agree though with that Fallenlords said. The textures are good, but the thing I have with the PS3 version is I think its anti-asling (I'm sorry not good with technical terms). It bassicaly is that the edges of objects arn't as "sharp" as they could be. I'm sure PC players don't deal with that as much as console players. Other than that the game is gorgious and if you just wana play a console MMORPG just fot he novelty of it then I'd say Xbox. I have to admit I'm so impressed with how good it feels to play an MMO on a console that if PS4 (the systme of choice for me) gets MMOs then I'll probably migrate over there for most of the next generation of MMOs (well I will stick with PC just to play Pathfinder and ESO lol).

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I would suggest that the PC is the higher quality product, will get faster updates, look better ect.

However i really believe that the XBOX community will last longer, be larger and more active. 

Its a hard call honestly, i guess if i were you i would wait a month and get the Xbox verson,  I think the PC version is far better given the technology and the lack of microsofts terrible policies regarding updates on xbox, and the PC version does and will have a decent population...i just feel like you miss out on the aweful drama revolving every mmo on PC going with xbox.  I do know that going to the xbox side of the defiance forums you get a LOT more game discussion and a whole lot less armchair developer commentary and rage.

• xsidurax22xsidurax22 Member Posts: 21

1.  Xbox, from what I've heard, has the larger community.  In an MMO, community trumps textures.

2.   When you're running around shooting, the textures aren't that noticeable.  They are muddier than the PC version, but the PC version of the game doesn't look spectacular either (textures look about 5 years old or so - like a console, but a little higher resolution!).  

3. Most important point for me:  a level playing field.  If you play on the Xbox, you are playing with an Xbox controller against other people with Xbox controllers.  If you're into PVP at all, this should be important.  The controls in this game lend themselves to using a controller.  Having said that, it's tough to compete with the precision of a mouse, even though I personally prefer sitting back playing with a controller.  I hate the idea of me playing with a less precise controller getting owned by people with a more precise mouse (I recognize this is debateable).  At least this way, I know I'm beating someone else, or getting beat by someone else, on an even playing field. 

4. If you have a Live sub already, that's not an issue either.  If you don't have a Live sub and would only be using it for this game, it gets a bit pricey.   I could see how it might be hard to convince someone to pay for the game plus Live.  Then again, it's only 5 bucks a month -- less than most MMO subs.

5.  It's just cool playing an MMO on an Xbox.

• DlensenDlensen Member Posts: 1
    Since old times it is more preferable to play TPS/FPS games on PC, on the other hand I as the owner of PS3 can tell that it is possible to play any TPS/FPS game and on consoles, but I consider that Defiance not from them.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Jorl
    No problem, only difference is playing on the PC is cheaper. While those on xbox have to pay for their online game play.

I am guessing if he uses his xbox he will already have the xbox live sub. Now if he buys gold just for this game then it wil lbe another story :D

@OP, it really depends on what you want. You will probably play it on a bigger screen if you played it on the Xbox and the community is probably going to be more active and will last longer. The PC version will most likely have better graphics. I will probably play the game on my Xbox because I don't have a PC :D Playing shooters on a laptop is not so cool as the screen is very small :D

There is one big advantage to using a controller. Your index finger will not die a slow death :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• taziartaziar Member Posts: 52

The game is meh, so neither.  But as you will buy it anyway, get it on Xbox.  Look at the metacritic scores, the Xbox version is a full point higher.  Not because it is better, but because there is lack of competition from other MMOs there.  Also, the interface sucks because it was designed for a console, so it will feel less painful playing on one.  

What all this means is the game community will die on PC, and quickly.  On the Xbox it might actually last awhile.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

If your PC is good enough, it looks better, runs better, can have a higher resolution and having the full size keyboard there for chat is a plus.

If you want to play with an xbox controller. It's fully supported by the PC version.

I see absolutely no reason to choose the xbox version over the PC. Unless you have a really old PC.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

PC always.

Console's are shitty to game on.

• OceanhawkOceanhawk Member UncommonPosts: 27
    The game is idential on all platforms however right now it is very buggy on the Xbox and the Trion team has been devoting a ton of time just getting the game to be stable for Xbox players.
  • Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by xsidurax22

1.  Xbox, from what I've heard, has the larger community.  In an MMO, community trumps textures.

2.   When you're running around shooting, the textures aren't that noticeable.  They are muddier than the PC version, but the PC version of the game doesn't look spectacular either (textures look about 5 years old or so - like a console, but a little higher resolution!).  

3. Most important point for me:  a level playing field.  If you play on the Xbox, you are playing with an Xbox controller against other people with Xbox controllers.  If you're into PVP at all, this should be important.  The controls in this game lend themselves to using a controller.  Having said that, it's tough to compete with the precision of a mouse, even though I personally prefer sitting back playing with a controller.  I hate the idea of me playing with a less precise controller getting owned by people with a more precise mouse (I recognize this is debateable).  At least this way, I know I'm beating someone else, or getting beat by someone else, on an even playing field. 

4. If you have a Live sub already, that's not an issue either.  If you don't have a Live sub and would only be using it for this game, it gets a bit pricey.   I could see how it might be hard to convince someone to pay for the game plus Live.  Then again, it's only 5 bucks a month -- less than most MMO subs.

5.  It's just cool playing an MMO on an Xbox.

I agree the larger the community the better for any MMO. Honestly I think the PS3 has the smallest community. Last night I was on at 2am and I soloed a minor arch fall mainly because well... there wasn't anyone around. I still love my PS3 copy of the game but yes I would just recomend the Xbox version to the OPer simply for the number of people playing it. On gamespot.com I believe they stated that 75ish % of the sales in the UK were all on Xbox. So yah, Defiance seems to be the Xbox MMO of choice. If you have a PS3 then buy that one and join me lol!

As for part 4. that was the reason I picked PS3 even though I have an Xbox. I don't have a live memebership and I didn't want to have to pay for the live membership. Because of that I've been playing most of my games on PS3 when I get the choice simply because PSN is free.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    seen quite a few youtube videos of the game, and so far i would have to go with the PC version, which looks clearly superior graphics wise, to the console ones, whether that makes enough difference at the end of the day, is debateable, although have to say, the PC version is way cheaper than either of the console versions too, with the xbox version being the most expensive of the three. As the game doesnt need much in terms of PC hardware, then i can't really see a problem for the average PC user with the game, barring the ones already stated, which includes the dodgy UI. If i was going to be getting the game myself i'd opt for the PC version, but if i had to choose between console versions, i'd go PS3, but only because the xbox charges players extra to play games online.image