Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason Wildstar looks like WoW

Comments

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Siveria

Focusing only on endgame is honestly what is destroying mmo's, they focus too much on the end and not enough on the journey to get there. The problem is they don't put enough stuff in it do at endgame, so players end up just logging out between raids due to nothing to do (which if it gets to that point why are they so stupid to keep paying a sub to login once a week? may as well quit), I'd like to see a mmo offer stuff to do at endgame that does not fully revolve around raid instances only, maybe even have some stuff you can do after raids that needs the gear from them. I also pray to the goddess they don't make special pvp gear, everyone should have to raid for the best gear, to use it in pve or pvp, and have it be the same gearset for both modes.

The game does sound very ambitious, but if its like most mmo's these days, it will probally fail to deliver. Look at swtor as a prime example. It would be really nice though fi they actually do deliver on what they promise but I have honestly never seen it done.

They've already mentioned quite a few things besides raiding that will offer endgame progression. By the sounds of it they have something of an alternative-advancement system (akin to EQ's AAs, FFXI's merit points or Rift's elemental attunement). They haven't given many specific details but we do know that it will allow you to upgrade your abilities beyond their level-cap versions.

The gear grind has been extended somewhat due to the circuit system as you will actually need multiple pieces of gear to combine their chips for a BiS item.

The housing system is also essentially alternative endgame content though it won't appeal to everyone (but then neither does raiding).

I also expect there will be endgame path content of some sort... it would make sense.

That's not to mention we know there is storyline content that doesn't even start until the level cap.

Like you say, we have yet to see if they can actually accomplish all of this, and it is very ambitious... but if this content is in for launch it'll probably be the most feature-rich launch ever.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Originally posted by Tayah
    I don't care that it looks like WoW, what bothers me is the handholding with telegraphing and the same old quest/raid grind you see in every themepark since WoW.

I agree about the raiding and the quests - but not the combat.  Maybe if I just saw it in a video I may think that, but having played The Secret World with the same type of combat and telegraphing, it makes battles WAY more fun.

Indeed, it's not just that it looks like WoW it plays like a WoW/GW2 hybrid as well.

so far it looks like one of the most blatant cookie cutter clone mmos I have seen in some years.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    imo, if they manage to look like a modern version of WoW, it will be a success :)
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by taus01

This game looks as nothing like wow. To me it looks like a Craig McCracken cartoon. Over the top, funny, great character design.

WoW still looks like a 5 year olds drawing of the gritty and dark Warhammer original it ripped of. Plus rainbow ponies and fairy Pandas. Not even in the same Ballpark.

I disagree. The term WOW clones has been thrown around for years on these forums but for first time a MMO fits the bill in terms of looks and how it plays. And that game is Wildstar. 

When i saw pax videos first time i thought i am watching a WOW video from barrens.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

IDK....I left EQ to try wow when it 1st came out.....was too cartooney for me.  But with WoTLK I came out I came back and really enjoyed it.  Even ran a guild and raided 25 Naxx when it was max thing to raid before the Arthas raid was available.  So I guess if the gameplay and content is good enuff I can handle the graphs.

From what I seen of the game so far, combat and movement didnt seem fluid enough.  Now on the other hand the videos they showed of housing, how u can float your house on a island, and how that effects crafting and raiding....thats some epic stuff there!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Wilstar? good post.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

This game looks as nothing like wow. To me it looks like a Craig McCracken cartoon. Over the top, funny, great character design.

WoW still looks like a 5 year olds drawing of the gritty and dark Warhammer original it ripped of. Plus rainbow ponies and fairy Pandas. Not even in the same Ballpark.

I disagree. The term WOW clones has been thrown around for years on these forums but for first time a MMO fits the bill in terms of looks and how it plays. And that game is Wildstar. 

When i saw pax videos first time i thought i am watching a WOW video from barrens.

WoW didn't have action combat so you can't really even hope to argue that they play at all similarly. Wildstar actually uses GW1's limited hotbar system for combat which distances it even further.

I hate the constant barrens comparison to ONE region in WIldstar as well. They've already said that's a starter zone, and the most typical fantasy of all of them... from there it goes full sci-fi. Does WoW have space stations? Asteroid belts? Moons? I didn't think so...

Cartoony art style is not something WoW invented. It is a type of art style that many many games use. Stop confusing it.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

WoW didn't have action combat so you can't really even hope to argue that they play at all similarly. Wildstar actually uses GW1's limited hotbar system for combat which distances it even further.

I hate the constant barrens comparison to ONE region in WIldstar as well. They've already said that's a starter zone, and the most typical fantasy of all of them... from there it goes full sci-fi. Does WoW have space stations? Asteroid belts? Moons? I didn't think so...

Cartoony art style is not something WoW invented. It is a type of art style that many many games use. Stop confusing it.

I am not confusing it i am giving the reference of the game it closely resembles and was the first MMO to  use this artstyle with great success.. What WOW resembles in artstyle or looks is another matter though.

And when i say it plays lik WOW i was tallking about animation and fludity and not the difference between action combat and tab targeting combat.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't care if it looks like wow. I didn't love wow's look but I didn't hate it. I care about how it plays. It's going to be similar to wow because all MMOs are on some lvl. From what I've seen so far it looks like it's going to be it's own game dispite taking some things from older mmos.

I want to play it before I judge it just another wow clone or not. People calling it that now don't know enough to be anything more that the typical forum hater.

All of this, but specifically the highlighted portion.  When I logged into WoW, my thought was never "this could be more realistic, eww".  Well, except the orc females.  That was a different kind of eww.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    If this and TESO do not crash and burn we will have another decade of themepark games going off the new WoW 2.0 model to look forward to with all the sandpark/sandbox games coming out relegated to niches because people play with friends or their SO rather than play a good game ( I have been guilty of this in the past ) and if TESO or Wildstar critical mass...you get the picture.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Zapzap

The reason Wildstar looks like WoW

Wildstar actually don't look anything like WoW. That is your first mistake... which caused all your subsequent mistakes in your post.

Wildstar actually looked like a game made by Pixar, if Pixar actually make games.

And because your initial assumption is incorrect, there is very little chance that there are any other valid points in your post.

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    This game looks like what WoW could have been if they hadnt bit the hand that fed them.  When I look at the animations and models they are far sophisticated compared to current WoW.  The combat seems far advanced in comparison, even the envirornments look fantastic.  Here is my theory shortly after the Burning Crusade was released Blizzard did somthing that scared off alot of thier developers IE: Blizzard North to become Runic and now These guys to become Carbine, which is why we have steadly seen since Diablo 2 and TBC the dumbing down and bland lack of innovation coming from Blizzard.  Personally Carbine I want to thank yall for my fond memories of Molten Core and Vanilla WoW as well as an epic fight with Illidan and I am really looking forward to playing in Wildstar.
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Zapzap

Is because the same artists and Devs who created WoW are making Wildstar.

Wrong.  The lead designer  gave an in depth intervirew to this website called MMORPG.com and explained why they used stylized art.  Look it up.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    It looks like WoW and that's not a good thing at all.  My love for WoW has always been *despite* it's graphics.  The fact that we're talking about a new game that looks like another game that's almost 10 years old is pretty bad.

You make me like charity

• GoldenTiger2GoldenTiger2 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    It looks like WoW and that's not a good thing at all.  My love for WoW has always been *despite* it's graphics.  The fact that we're talking about a new game that looks like another game that's almost 10 years old is pretty bad.

Agreed... stylized art is fine, but low-res textures with low model polycounts and seeming lack of any  post-processing effects will make it age poorly, rather than gracefully. I felt like I had time-warped back to 2005 when I watched the videos :(. There seems to be a bit of HDR ramping and that's about it, with blurry textures, fairly jaggy models, and a gorgeous overall color pallette. The art style is good, but the technical implementation of it looks BAD so far :(.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by Margulis

Probably went with this style so that they wouldn't have to deal with people with older computers not being able to play it.  But it's going to hurt them some, a lot of people don't like the cartoony look and so far the largest amount of negative comments I've seen directed towards the game, EASILY, has to do with the graphics and their similarity to wow.

Agreed. It is a double edged sword.

We will see how this goes. You have to make up a lot, in terms of game play, to keep the people who aren't interested in that cartoony style. From what I have seen, this game takes generic and makes it intuitive. Other games have also taken this approach, Rift just being one off the top of my head. A lot will depend on when this is released and the competition that is around at that time.

I'm still waiting for that east meets west MMORPG and this game is pure west.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Personally I love this style of art.

I like several of the things that they talk about.  TALK about.  If it is a B2P model like GW2 I will buy this with no problems or complaints, even if it's just a wow clone [though I think it is really more like a wow 2.0, which I could dig for quite a while, probably].

I will say that I agree with a post above about the telegraphs.  I do think that they need them, because you can make some cool shapes and patterns that require better and more difficult dodging.  BUT, I personally think they need to outline them and not make them solid.  Solid red is just obnoxious and lame, IMO.  Heck, at least make it a slider of how faded telegraphing is displayed.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157

Focusing only on endgame is honestly what is destroying mmo's, they focus too much on the end and not enough on the journey to get there. The problem is they don't put enough stuff in it do at endgame, so players end up just logging out between raids due to nothing to do (which if it gets to that point why are they so stupid to keep paying a sub to login once a week? may as well quit), I'd like to see a mmo offer stuff to do at endgame that does not fully revolve around raid instances only, maybe even have some stuff you can do after raids that needs the gear from them. I also pray to the goddess they don't make special pvp gear, everyone should have to raid for the best gear, to use it in pve or pvp, and have it be the same gearset for both modes.

The game does sound very ambitious, but if its like most mmo's these days, it will probally fail to deliver. Look at swtor as a prime example. It would be really nice though fi they actually do deliver on what they promise but I have honestly never seen it done.

How that work out for GW2?  Also there is a lot to do in this game if you have looked into it.  I am not sold on this game but it looks very promising compared to other MMO's coming out and already out at the moment.  

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by Sodahz

How that work out for GW2?  Also there is a lot to do in this game if you have looked into it.  I am not sold on this game but it looks very promising compared to other MMO's coming out and already out at the moment.  

Works out great for GW2. Because most "rush to endgame" whiners leave and the rest of us play and have a blast. People in GW2 know what awaits them and seem to like it (though they do want more and changes to make it even better). I have four 80 and I'm not even worried about what to do. I may some day get bored. I did that with WoW after testing and playing through they first three years. Just like most games I s'pose.

Wildstar looks to have a ton to do, which is awesome and I hope I get the chance to play.

But to the point...if you can call it that...of the thread...

It only looks like WoW to passers by. People who stop and look, have no idea what you are friggin talking about.

:P

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i think the art direction matters more than the actual quality of the graphisc in the long run.

wow, ff11 and eve all have graphics that arent the best, but the style of art is very consistant and everything feels like it belongs.

I also appreciate humour in a game and i'm glad the folks at wildstar are adding that.  it's good never to take things too seriously :)  If the wildstar folks deliver on their promise we're going to have a winner.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

I like wildstar graphics. Somwhow i feel very comfortable looking at it. 

There are MMOs that try to use realistic textures and it either look horrible or too artifical.

Wildstar/WoW style of graphics is just right. It looks comfy and pleasing to the eye. Feels fun. 

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Won't be touching Wildstar with a 10 meter pole due to their dated graphics. I can see my nephew playing Wildstar, but that's also why he has a Wii and I have a XBox360. I mean, he's 13 years old.

wii u > 360, the new touchscreen game pad > anything sony or microsoft offer atm, its that awesome, the ps4 and xbox 720 better copy it or theyll suck.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I think cartoony mmo age better
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by itchmon

wow, ff11 and eve all have graphics that arent the best, but the style of art is very consistant and everything feels like it belongs.

Consistency is important but I laughed a little bit when I thought of the fact that EVE by the time Wildstar launches will have surrpassed it graphically.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    It looks nice :)