Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BSOD

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

After a few days i remember why i quit playing EQ2 about a year ago... its the only game that crashes constantly but not regularly.  A few times a night i get a BOSD, from crashing graphics drivers..

Updating downgrading drivers does not help, niether all tips found, and this is exactly the same reason why i quit this game over a year ago.. I played dozens of games over the last year, but the only game with this problem is EQ2.

Running on an Alienware m17x with Ati 7970M...  i made a bugreport back then, seems they never got to fix it.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Is it possible the game is causing your card to overheat? Either that, or it just doesnt like mobile ATI cards.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Last time i crashed in EQ2 was just after release, plenty of people run the game fine. Funny thing is i've crashed more in GW2 than i have in EQ2. I'm not saying EQ2 didn't have it's problems but it's been years since i've had any problem and i duel box while running two clients on my one pc in windows mode.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446

I don't think I've ever crashed in that game.

I know that cant be possible, but if I did crash it was so seldom that I cannot recall it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ2 has given me the least crashes of any mmo -- including WOW / GW series

im sorry its giving you trouble

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Is it possible the game is causing your card to overheat? Either that, or it just doesnt like mobile ATI cards.

No, nothing overheating..... I did log cpu temperatures, but nothing disturbing, also it gives the same bsod every time, indicating its the ati graphics driver...

doesnt happen in any other game, must be a setting not fully supported by graphics / os / game combo

seems to be related to 64 bit systems... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

There is onother strange thing happening....

Whenever i start the game, and click the SOE welcome screen to close the window... The game changes from Full screen mode to windowed mode... Forcing me to click the window and alter enter, just to get back to full screen mode again.

The orriginal fault still persists, despite changing settings and such, sometimes it takes like 10  mintues, other times 3 hours before it happens, seems to be at random, but every time it showes its related to Atikmpag.sys.. Except when i switch virtual memory of, in that case it shows a random BSOD screen...    Making me beleive the fault is on SOE´s side of things, when plating windows 7 64 bit with more then 4GB of ram... somehow it cant handle that..   it requires and uses that virtual memmory way to much.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    EQ2 got a million problems and a crashin ain't one.
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

i been playing Everquest 2 for over 5 years and i never had any crashing problems...i have a random peiced together PC

and i have never had major problems with EQ 2  Very stable game

maybe its your computer cause i never known anyone with your problems

Originally posted by JimmyYO
    EQ2 got a million problems and a crashin ain't one.

Just google for Aitikmpag.sys and EQ2 and you will see dozens of people having the same problem, yet noboddy has a sollution for it.  And the fault has been around for years. When i was subscribed and bought this PC to get better performance (less then a year ago) i filed an official bugreported, with logfiles and such things, never heard a thing about it, and so i quit...

Tough i am having so much fun with my beastmaster right now, i dont want to leave again, but its keeping me away from subbing, which means i can not contact SOE with the problem as i dont excist to their customer support.

Anyway, you not having a problem, does not mean it does not excist, there is a thin line of hardware/OS support that can change things dramatically from system to system... It might even be a single program running on my alienware that makes things crash... because SOE´s quite old software is incompatible with it..

Rigth now i am considering using Vista emulation mode, or the Intel 4000 graphics chip thats in my CPU, but i dont think i will get improvements from that

Originally posted by Grimula

i been playing Everquest 2 for over 5 years and i never had any crashing problems...i have a random peiced together PC

and i have never had major problems with EQ 2  Very stable game

maybe its your computer cause i never known anyone with your problems

I have run all possible hardware  tests, done some other tests, tried different drivers, and none yield any results, i have played most major MMO´s and RPGs on this system over the last year, and only this game gives me problems, its not just a system, its an Alienware m17x R4, known to be the fastest gaming laptop in the Known universe.  I have tools that measure anything from temperature to memmory ussage and log it... nothing strange to see there.  Just a hard crash because the game hangs and the system tries to reset my graphics drivers because they stopped responding.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

i would suggest spending 1-2 hours and Call Sony...pick up a telephone and give them a call...one of there tech support people will do the best they can to help you out usually it works calling the company if a game you are playing doesnt work

(858)537-0898 Sony Tech support number  =)

Originally posted by Grimula

i would suggest spending 1-2 hours and Call Sony...pick up a telephone and give them a call...one of there tech support people will do the best they can to help you out usually it works calling the company if a game you are playing doesnt work

(858)537-0898 Sony Tech support number  =)

I dont have a subscription right now.  That means i only have support on billing issues and ingame shop actions.   So basically they will not spend any time with me. On top of that calling a US number from europe for hours will cost me more then a year of subscription...

I allready contacted them, but this was the reply i got..... You are not a paying member, so no service for you, better get a sub if you want us to solve the problem...

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The orriginal fault still persists, despite changing settings and such, sometimes it takes like 10  mintues, other times 3 hours before it happens, seems to be at random, but every time it showes its related to Atikmpag.sys.. Except when i switch virtual memory of, in that case it shows a random BSOD screen...  

Making me beleive the fault is on SOE´s side of things, when plating windows 7 64 bit with more then 4GB of ram... somehow it cant handle that..   it requires and uses that virtual memmory way to much.

im running win7 64bit w 6 gig ram on Dell 702X laptop

never had eq2 crashes on this laptop -- probably related to something else

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I dont have a subscription right now.  That means i only have support on billing issues and ingame shop actions.   So basically they will not spend any time with me. On top of that calling a US number from europe for hours will cost me more then a year of subscription...

with no sub,

you could try the tech support forums

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?categories/support-forums.9/

EQ2 offers Livechat on weekdays where no phone fees are involved

but probably need a sub for live chat help

EQ2 Customer Support
    https://help.station.sony...nswers/detail/a_id/28939
    Customer Support

Our Support staff is available Monday through Friday from 6:00am - 7:00pm PT (excluding holidays). There are three ways to contact our Support staff:

1. Live Chat - If you cannot find the answer through the Knowledge Base you can chat directly with a technical support agent using Live Chat. Chat Support is available Monday through Friday from 10:00am - 7:00pm PST (excluding holidays).
    2. Open a Support Ticket - Click here to email a Support Representative directly.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

This may or may not help you... I was having constant TDR's (BSOD) and the only game it was constant with was Torchlight 2, and I mean it was BAD!!! constant crashing, couldn't get past the load screen sometimes... 

I had very rare occurances with this in EQ2... but not enough to be a real issue...

Well since I purchased TL2 and never really got to play it, I was bored one day and started going back and forth with TL2 support (who were very helpful BTW) and after running several tests and sending in the results they had a suggestion for me.

They noticed my video card nVidia GTX570 was factory overclocked at 787MHz (iirc) and they suggested clocking it down to factory whcih is 732MHz... I have not had a TDR crash since in anything!

For those who don't know TDR's were part of the Windows vista and later operating systems as a means to prevent total crashes (at least thats how I was lead to understand it)

When your screen goes blank (no signal) and come back usually with a message that states "graphics casrd has stopped responding and has recovered" this is a form of TDR...

Hope this helps it certainly did for me.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

googling Atikmpag.sys -- this problem is well beyond EQ2 and affects many games

a suggested fix

http://windows7themes.net/fix-atikmpag-sys-atikmdag-sys-blue-screen-errors-bsod.html

Originally posted by Nadia

googling Atikmpag.sys -- this problem is well beyond EQ2 and affects many games

a suggested fix

http://windows7themes.net/fix-atikmpag-sys-atikmdag-sys-blue-screen-errors-bsod.html

Well, true and not true...

in my case this error only pops up with EQ2.  Why? Because something in EQ2 makes the graphics driver hang.  And the driver trying to reset itselves crashes to BSOD, so while the actuall crash is driver related ( the reset part). The reason of this is game related as obviously EQ2 sends some information to the drivers or lacks sending information that hangs the driver.

so the actuall crashing is not the fault we are looking for, somehow the driver looses connection to the hardware, and since played and tested over 30 games in the last year and only eq2 results in such crash its save to asume that EQ2 and the latest amd drivers have a compatabillity issue.   Where its probably eq2 with some very old code thats not fully supported by these drivers...

so far it seems that here is some backlground loading issue, where new items or npcs or just new2d information cant be loaded to the memmory fast enough. The issue can be either related to 64bit support and having 16 gb of memmory, or he amount of virtual memmory assigned, setting he virtuall memmory to a dedicated size of 12 gb. Seems to have improved the performance of EQ2 a lot, on top of that, crashes seem to have become much rarer in such a way that playing he game seems to be fun again for me.

just so much to do in this game... 

And from te comments on this post its safe to assume that i am the exception and not he rule when it comes to EQ2 crashing my system.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

I feel you. Its always annoying when your game pick are not behaving. 

1.Have you installed all the recent drivers for your?

2. Have you installed the newest AMD driver by i)delete the driver through windows ii) run a scan with a Cleaner ii)run Driver sweeper to see if there is any files left and lastly iii) installed the newsest amd driver that seems to be CCC 13.1 http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

3. Have you tried to re-install the game? i had troubles with eq2 but i reinstalled the game it solved my issue

4. Tried to play with lowerst settings while keeping the resolution. It can be that the gpu memory gets full and then its bsod...

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Even attempting to run EQ2 on modern systems is something to laugh at.

That game was designed with the idea that the world would be using high speed SINGLE core processors.  Old top of the line SINGLE core P4 systems overclocked to 5ghz run better than top of the line overclocked i7 technology that is 10+ years newer...

EQ2 ran like ass on most rigs on release, here we are years and years later and it still runs like ass.  Any semi-modern MMO I can run on max settings in massive raids with good FPS.  EQ2 shits itself when you have a large group or two on the screen with even moderate settings.