Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA, EA, Kickstarter and lawyers....

spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

My question is kind of one that everyone should have, particularly if you are going to give money to the Kickstarter campaign.

Richard Garriott (RG) is making TONs of references to his Ultima days, which he certainly can do. I mean, he did make those. But now EA owns the rights to that universe and they are currently making Ultima Forever for the iPad and prolly other platforms over time.

Now RG isn't only referencing his glory days. many of the elements advertised about SotA scream Ultima...Avatar, Virtues, He's having interviews with Iolo and Dupree.....how much closer to home does he have to get before the lawyers EA attack?

Do you think they already plan to and are waiting for the right time? If they do, what happens to the money that everyone gave to Kickstarter? How much you wanna bet EA is waiting to take action until after the project is funded? 

I asked this question during the LordBritish presents reveal and got nothing, of course.

EA has to see this is competition to Ultima Forever. 

Has this been addressed anywhere? Your you go after him if you were EA?  

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
www.spankybus.com
-3d Artist & Compositor
-Writer
-Professional Amature

Comments

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I hope nothing happens.  This is the only kickstarter project that has ever convinced me to contribute (after watching the live stream last night)
  • tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

if they waited till it was funded, and sued (and won), knowing full well it would cost consumers/players the money they donated, would be a catostrophic PR nightmare for EA.  no matter the legal issues, who's in the right, what the potential risks donors may or may not have known, all anyone will see is 'EA screws players again'.  frankly any action they take againsty this project wopuld probably be met with a similar reaction.

whether thats fair or not, thats how i see it going, if your scenario were to come to fruition.