Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Open Beta Arrives April 30th

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by McGamer

I got my money refunded on this Cryptic garbage. I refuse to pay for mediocre gameplay, content and horrible character models considering the level of technology and skill available in today's video games. 

I suggest people vote with their wallets and not support this kind of dev-created crud, no matter the interest in player-created content. All it will result in is player-created crud. 

1.  Then don't pay for it.  Play for free

2.  Its in beta.  Of course gameplay, content, and character models will not be as good as they could be.  They already have been improved though.  Remember the horrible mage idle animation?  It's been removed, so your complaints are pretty much pointless since they are on things that don't reflect the finished product.

3.  How can we "vote with our wallets" if the game is free to play, making using our wallets unecessary?  Also, what is wrong with player created content?  Sure, there is junk you have to wade through, but there is always, ALWAYS player created content that is not just amazing, but sometimes superior to the dev-created content.  The "Will and a Barclay" player created mission in STO was by far my favorite mission in any game ever.  Don't call all player created content bad just because you played a few bad ones (besides, that is a sweeping generalization fallacy, which by itself is enough to invalidate your entire opinion).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Boraell
    Originally posted by McGamer

I got my money refunded on this Cryptic garbage. I refuse to pay for mediocre gameplay, content and horrible character models considering the level of technology and skill available in today's video games. 

I suggest people vote with their wallets and not support this kind of dev-created crud, no matter the interest in player-created content. All it will result in is player-created crud. 

Already have voted with my wallet, I bought a Guardians pack....I suggest people dont try and tell others what their idea of an acceptable game is.

Yup voted with my wallet here, bought a Heroes, Guardian and Starter kit, as well as $100 worth of Zen during the Beta so I can have full bags, extra character slot, more bank space, healer companion at character creation, and enough left over Zen to buy some Astral Diamonds at release when I suspect the AD to Zen conversion will bhe crazy high.  Foundry will change the way Themepark's increase their longevity.

Wish people didn't tell people what to play.  I didn't like Defiance but in the few subject posts about it I even told others to try it for themselves.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 80

I donn't know if this has been answered yet.....Is the PVP in certain areas like an arena or a restricted zone or can you be killed buying a latte at the local coffee shop?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Savageone

I donn't know if this has been answered yet.....Is the PVP in certain areas like an arena or a restricted zone or can you be killed buying a latte at the local coffee shop?

PvP is instanced.  You have to join a Queue to enter them.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Is it me or Neverwinter is turning out to be the longest tested beta by players in last 10 years? i have been testing and testing and..testing...and now there is more testing ;)

It hasnt been tested long, in fact, its very short seeing as how most of it is in house and they are only doing big "weekend" testing. Most MMOs have large beta groups for upwards of 6 months before going to an open beta for a month or two so...

I have been beta testing NW for over two months now and there is still more testing coming up. 

Yes and as I said, most MMOs are beta tested for 6 months before an open beta...2 months is a lot shorter than 6.

Most MMOS as in recent ones? could you give me some examples?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

crashes? that dude that said he crashed every 2 minutes needs to get a new system or something..lol hardly anyone crashed that i know of.

Peace

Lascer

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by eisenryu
    Are they putting in some new weapon graphics in for this beta, because going through 30 levels swinging the exact same sword makes it get old even faster.

Don't you worry with Cryptic and PWE. They will make sure their Cash Shop will be filled with all kinds of items you can buy with "REAL" money.

If you want to know how it will end up.... just have a look at STO. All new additions end up in the Cash Shop.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Is it me or Neverwinter is turning out to be the longest tested beta by players in last 10 years? i have been testing and testing and..testing...and now there is more testing ;)

It hasnt been tested long, in fact, its very short seeing as how most of it is in house and they are only doing big "weekend" testing. Most MMOs have large beta groups for upwards of 6 months before going to an open beta for a month or two so...

I have been beta testing NW for over two months now and there is still more testing coming up. 

Yes and as I said, most MMOs are beta tested for 6 months before an open beta...2 months is a lot shorter than 6.

Most MMOS as in recent ones? could you give me some examples?

what phase of beta are we talking? Either way numerous MMOs have year+ CB as there is normally numerous phases of cb then of course you got alpha testing as well...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

what phase of beta are we talking? Either way numerous MMOs have year+ CB as there is normally numerous phases of cb then of course you got alpha testing as well...

I don't think he is counting alpha testing in that..just CB and OB. And only because he got invitied to CB 3 months ago doesn't mean CB was actually going on for 3 months only.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I don't think he is counting alpha testing in that..just CB and OB. And only because he got invitied to CB 3 months ago doesn't mean CB was actually going on for 3 months only.

yea i figured he was just talking CB.. which in most games is split into several phases which goes on for a year plus in many cases

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• brackatchabrackatcha Member Posts: 24
    Will this be on of those open beta's in which the characters are not wiped and carry right on into release? I would assume not since there is a head-start period for certain premium editions of the game.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Very exciting news!  been dying to get this info...can't wait to mess with the foundry

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

This isn't open beta.  It's a launch date.  They can call it open beta, but that doesn't mean a damn thing.  That's why the founders packs are getting in 3-5 days early & the characters aren't being wiped past the 25th.  Because it's a live LAUNCH

It's marketing so that if shit goes bad, they can pretend like they're still in beta.  It's a neat little trick that F2P games can play because some people are really stupid and will flock to the forums defending them for being in "beta".

• PadieuPadieu Member Posts: 40

The first thing I'd like to say about it, because I've mentioned that it uses an action combat system and I've also mentioned Perfect World Entertainment, is that Neverwinter is not another RaiderZ. That is to say, it's not a low budget TERA knockoff with a shitty engine and miserable, bug ridden BAM encounters that serve only to highlight how woeful the hit-boxing and collision detection are.

Neverwinter is a big budget triple-A MMO. Its action combat is technically sound, fun to use and doesn't actually ape TERAs in any other way than 'also being an action combat system'. Combat animations are wonderful. Cryptic have packed a lot of detail into a relatively low number of frames, which can look AWFUL (see: Guild Wars 2 when it's not hiding the mess with blurs) but in Neverwinter's case serves to accelerate the pace without affecting readability. 
    The violence is sudden, savage, and there's a real feeling of impact strengthened by the way that dispatched enemies ragdoll with believable force in the direction they were last struck. The sound effects, from steel collisions to screams and roars are of high quality and add much to the goings on as well.

• DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52
    Call me when they have more than 4 classes, or for that matter when they actually do clerics correctly.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by DalekThay
    Call me when they have more than 4 classes, or for that matter when they actually do clerics correctly.

The Devoted Cleric is pretty much what it is in D&D 4e.  It's the proper class.  Not much to complain about as far as doing it correctly, unless you're wanting to complain about 4e itself... in which case you can always enjoy DDO.

• IixiaIixia Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Can haz now? :(
  • DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235

People have to remember that Beta is NOT the finished product.  Constructive Feedback to them can only make their game better.  

At anyrate, Foundry content was rather fun and I look for ward for that to continue to get better.  This Game was rather fun and can only get better imo.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Call me when they have more than 4 classes

Ring ring.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I can't wait! Love Neverwinter! Very happy about the additional beta weekend also!
  • troutnstouttroutnstout Member Posts: 1
    I only played beta 3 and i just could not belive this game was free, I thought it was awsome. took my time and played a control wizard totally enjoyable. never crashed cant wait to get back playing. it was easy to install too........
  • FandolonFandolon Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Been reading the bad reports and all i have to say is this, that leaves more for me. I happen to enjoy playing NW and it's at the top of my list for the 3 games i'll play: 1) NW, 2) DDO & 3) Eldeviv. Keep up the good work Cryptic.
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Does anyone have a spare Friend Key from the Hero of the North Founders pack ? I would really love one to get into Beta 4.
  • LateBrake1LateBrake1 Member Posts: 54
    Some tidbits:

It's launching with 5 classes not 4.

Also anything in the cash shop can be purchased with cash u can acquire in game, meaning u could never pay real cash and still have any cash shop item that someone could purchase.

Next 2 rumored classes are Archer & Warlock(note:Rumored from data mining)

End game dungeons are supposed to be tough, and u do get gear upgrades from them(unlike GW2)

• JayBezzJayBezz Member Posts: 1

Pretty Much.

Also.. this is Cryptic Studios we're talking about here.  Why even entertain the idea of this game when you can see how badly they handle Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

Recap: 5 Classes, Lack of Customization, Lockboxes that gamble for game features in cash shop.  That's 3 HUGE strikes.. even BEFORE you bring up Cryptic Studios history of player neglect