Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Progress Discussion

Comments

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Originally posted by Tuktz

I think it will make it, but by the skin of its teeth.

The real concern is the palty number of backers. Other titles have two or three times the number of backers with much smaller goals. 

All MMOs need healthy populations, this is not disputable. 

Hopefully they will make their goal and then soon they will do more than talk, show concept art and crappy tech demos. They need more interest than what they have if this is to last. 

These are just backers, not players. Will be a different situations in late beta / closer to launch.

Obviously there is some correlation between backers and players. 

Obviosly, but 30-50k players is plenty for a niche game like this. Will be over 10k backers before kickstarter finishes, and I'd imagine 3 to 4 more people play than back. Takes a dedicated bunch to back something they can't play for 3 or 4 years.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Originally posted by Navek

Originally posted by Tuktz

Originally posted by Omnifish

Originally posted by meddyck Only $3,300 so far today. Not good. We need some killer updates about core game features soon.
    If they had anything I'd suggest they'd have posted it by now so they could extend the pledge further. Then again Project Eternity and Torment funded on $4million each with little more then a few screenshots, some concept art, and a few videos telling people that their really good at telling stories in games, (Although generally ignoring why Obsidian need Kickstarter to fund something in Eternities case. I can suspect reasons but it's their pledge and others right to do what the want with their money.) Personally I won't give Jacobs the benefit of the doubt for a third time and the whole veteren devs pilling into Kickstarter is akin to another gaming gold rush, but don't be surprised if CU does hit it's target.  Gamers want to believe and those last few days could be crucial. The suckers ;)
      Also, won't Paypal  get turned on once  the $2 M goal is hit? There will be a huge influx of Euros who tend not to have credit cards pledging when that happens, easily pushing into stretch goals.
    Where do people get the misconception that people in Europe dont have credit cards ? It baffles me, as from what I've seen in the UK and whilst traveling in Europe they are are common here as they are in NA.

The germans seem to have non...

Germans have high savings rates and generally prefer to make purchases without incurring debt, a financially healthy attitude. Consequently, a lower percentage of them hold credit cards.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    11 days to go with almost a half a 3/4 of a million to go. Im sorry but sadly this may not take off. So does the DEV's get to keep the money they all ready have pledge to them if it dont take off?

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Isturi
    11 days to go with almost a half a 3/4 of a million to go. Im sorry but sadly this may not take off. So does the DEV's get to keep the money they all ready have pledge to them if it dont take off?

Looks like you need a lesson in the basics of kickstarter.

No one is charged for their pledge unless the goal is met. 

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    No. The money doesn't even get charged out of your account unless the goal is reached, if I understand it correctly. If I'm wrong, then it will be given back when the time expires and the goal has not been met.
    Originally posted by Isturi

Looks like you need a lesson in the basics of kickstarter.

No one is charged for their pledge unless the goal is met. 

LOL TY I honestly did not know and TY Sketo.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

@Vaross:  Hopefully this thread means that MMORPG staff will moderate/delete the rampant trolls.. one can only hope, right?

25% funded in less than 24 hours is a good sign, but let's not get over confident.. long, but exciting road ahead!

Obvious trolls? Yes.  Trolls wchich mask their hate and baiting in a way to hide their obvious agenda not so much.  The trick at mmorpg.com is you can bash, troll and hate but in a way that makes you sound intelligent.

SUP

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

@Vaross:  Hopefully this thread means that MMORPG staff will moderate/delete the rampant trolls.. one can only hope, right?

25% funded in less than 24 hours is a good sign, but let's not get over confident.. long, but exciting road ahead!

Obvious trolls? Yes.  Trolls wchich mask their hate and baiting in a way to hide their obvious agenda not so much.  The trick at mmorpg.com is you can bash, troll and hate but in a way that makes you sound intelligent.

Someone enlightened me it's called "forum pvp" lmao.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Its to bad the DEVS wont start this game if the project is not funded. This game was anounced in Feb and look at all the excitment and all the hype it got since then. Gamers long for a game like this and the DEVS in a way are saying well thanks for your support but we dont see enough support to even warent this game. Which sucks If you ask me. I mean why wave an idea of a great possible MMO in front of our face if you make it e unattainable from the start? IMHO I think they should of ask for 1 million to get it started and then could went to sponsers who prob would of backed CU since they seen a motivating drive.

Someone needs to start a kickstarter prob similar to CU and run with it and do it right. Make it realisitic and not unattainable.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Backers

$1,253,024

pledged of $2,000,000 goal

days to go

Sigh.  Maybe we'll get lucky, and George R.R. Martin, who is a fantasy fan, a lover of Tolkien, and a prodigious writer himself, will see this and offer to toss in a bit of funding.  

So I'm dreaming.  But hey, if I could, I'd buy the man a mead and ask him his thoughts on the matter :) 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Yes, the trolling is so rampant the moderators have been forced to state several times that not wanting to donate or not liking CU is not a just reason to report posts.

Some people disagree with you and are labelled trolls and haters.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Kickstarter will not charge you unless the project reaches it's goal. I would be more inclined to help fund this if it had more PVE (not a PvP player for the most part).
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

image  That's the fucking truth.  Been temp banned so many times I've lost count because I don't sugercoat my words.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I think it will make it, but by the skin of its teeth.

The real concern is the palty number of backers. Other titles have two or three times the number of backers with much smaller goals. 

All MMOs need healthy populations, this is not disputable. 

Hopefully they will make their goal and then soon they will do more than talk, show concept art and crappy tech demos. They need more interest than what they have if this is to last. 

I have to agree on the paltry number of backers. Looking at previous games that made it, CU has alarmingly few backers, with a lot of high-tier pledgers. True, backers do not equal players, but the number certainly shows a trend and I'm afraid it's looking worrisome.

What it looks like at the moment is that CU has really really dedicated backers, with some high tiers already full... On the other hand, the low tiers have few pledgers compared to other successful Kickstarter games, and that's related directly to the number of players interested in this game (Even Shroud of the Avatar ended up with something like 22K pledgers).

All MMOs need a strong dedicated core playerbase, and CU seems to have secured that (something like 8K at the moment), but that's not enough on its own: Mark Jacobs and co probably have to put something out there that will show the fencesitters it will be worth chipping in. Something to fill those lower tiers and push the backer numbers up to 15K or more.

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    As long as it makes it, even if it just limps over the goal line, it's great. Because there are, from what I can tell, many European backers that are not able to fund because of an issue with CC's and not being able to use PayPal. So, even if we make it to goal, we may see a large surge that may get us to some stretch goals....hopefully

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight Member Posts: 54

I'm a bit concerned by the number of backers as well but then again there have been projects with less backers and have made 2+mil.

Like this:

http://i.imgur.com/kWbx47n.jpg

I think we're fine. Esp with updates like the one today. And i know MJ got more big updates to come!

Just need some coverage on these updates

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by tenfoldedmight

Just need some coverage on these updates

I doubt fence sitters care about updates especially not 13 minute videos. Even I couldn't force myself to sit through all of today's video. There's been way too much talking head updates. At least this one didn't spend the first few minutes talking about ducks though. That's a plus.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• buckeyebuckeye Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Unfortunately I don't see this funding. It may hit $1.75 M but even that is a stretch based on the where we stand today and the number of days left.
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by buckeye
    Unfortunately I don't see this funding. It may hit $1.75 M but even that is a stretch based on the where we stand today and the number of days left.

Even if it funds, I don't see it being viable for very long. Didn't MJ say 50,000 players was his target? He can't even get 10,000 backers. And then there's the chance something else will come along in the next two years and steal CU's thunder. Oh, and don't forget how much it's going to cost them to stay current on changing technology during development.

Two million is way too much to ask for. You would think someone like MJ would be better at scoping cost and streamlining development time, with all the experience he tries to convince us he has. 

• deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by topographic
    Originally posted by buckeye

Even if it funds, I don't see it being viable for very long. Didn't MJ say 50,000 players was his target? He can't even get 10,000 backers. And then there's the chance something else will come along in the next two years and steal CU's thunder. Oh, and don't forget how much it's going to cost them to stay current on changing technology during development.

Two million is way too much to ask for. You would think someone like MJ would be better at scoping cost and streamlining development time, with all the experience he tries to convince us he has. 

Well just because the game only has so many backers doesn't mean no one else will support it should it be released.  I'm highly interested in the concept of this game, but I have a firm stance against kickstarter and will not participate in it to any degree.  Concepts are great, but they're not solid enough for me to dedicate any of my hard earned money towards.

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69

I don't understand the whole "Against kickstarter" mentality.  You truly don't know any game till its released.  Even if you see videos/screenshots/etc of games online, many released are terrible and not represented by those. 

I really makes no sense to be against kickstarter.  Even kickstarter games that have been funded to extreme turned out not to be that great once released.  Its the same with any game.  Everything is a investment, be it kickstarter or buying a game when it comes out.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

Originally posted by Heartspark

I don't understand the whole "Against kickstarter" mentality.  You truly don't know any game till its released.  Even if you see videos/screenshots/etc of games online, many released are terrible and not represented by those. 

I really makes no sense to be against kickstarter.  Even kickstarter games that have been funded to extreme turned out not to be that great once released.  Its the same with any game.  Everything is a investment, be it kickstarter or buying a game when it comes out.

I think the main anti points are

1. When you buy a released game or pre-order one shortly before release you have way more information about the game than you have when you donate to Kickstarter for a game at an early development stage such as CU. Yes you are right that you never know everything about a game until you buy it. But at least with buying a game near launch you can view screen shots and videos of what the actual final game will look like and usually get much more detailed information about its contents. For instance people who buy CU at retail will know exactly what races and classes it contains and have some information about what each classes' abilities will be. They'll likely have gotten a chance to try it in open beta events for that matter and gotten to read lengthy previews on sites like this.
    2. You have no guarantee that when you donate to a Kickstarter game that you will ever be able to play the game. It may turn out to be more costly than expected and the dev will be forced to abandon it for lack of funds or any number of other factors may lead to failure. When you buy or pre-order a retail game you can be reasonably confident that you will actually get to play it shortly thereafter. Even if the game does launch, it won't be for years after you donate. Pre-ordering a game years before it releases is a brand new thing for most players and one they have difficulty being comfortable with.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217

Right! After watching the latest developer update I have decided to back CU.

I still have my reservations towards the Tri-realm concept as in,

not enough info and what is there is eyebrow raising.

Yet the crafting concept on its own is enough for me.

I'll gladly drop down some money to see that made!

Now I was hoping you enthusiastic lot could help me if possible.

How do I back Kickstarter when I'm not US or UK based?

I've looked around and I didn't find the answer, obviously.

Originally posted by Pandamin

Now I was hoping you enthusiastic lot could help me if possible.

How do I back Kickstarter when I'm not US or UK based?

I've looked around and I didn't find the answer, obviously.

Can people from outside the US or UK pledge to projects?

Yes! Anyone, anywhere (with a major card) can pledge to Kickstarter projects.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backer+questions#BackAProj

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I pledged, but sadly Mark Jacobs has a terrible reputation for what he did with Warhammer and Daoc. He is an arrogant guy who does what he wants regardless of the customer wishes.  If this doesn't fund I think it will be a combination of him being the main guy involved and the fact it won't even enter beta until late 2015. Not many people want to buy a game they can't play for years. Even though I was sold, it is still a tough sell. Still won't give up though.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!