Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Progress Discussion

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by ChaulsinNL
    I wouldn't mind adding some of my funds to the pile required to start this game. It definitely looks interesting enough to me that I would like to give them the chance to deliver. I've never used kickstarter before, so here is my question: what happens with your money if the kickstarter fails? The answer to that would factor into the size of the package I would buy. The kickstarter website says it's up to the receiver of the money to decide if a refund is in order or not, but I haven't seen anything on it for CU.

If the Kickstarter doesn't reach the $2 million goal, you lose nothing. The money only is transferred to City State Entertainment if it succeeds. Here is Kickstarter's official Kickstarter 101 page that has helpful information for you:

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter+basics#Kick

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by ChaulsinNL
    I wouldn't mind adding some of my funds to the pile required to start this game. It definitely looks interesting enough to me that I would like to give them the chance to deliver. I've never used kickstarter before, so here is my question: what happens with your money if the kickstarter fails? The answer to that would factor into the size of the package I would buy. The kickstarter website says it's up to the receiver of the money to decide if a refund is in order or not, but I haven't seen anything on it for CU.

No money / pledges are taken, unless the kickstarter fully funds ($2M). And even then, no money is actually taken until AFTER the kickstarter is complete (after May 2, 2013).

So the two scenarios are pretty simple.

A) Project hits more than $2M pledged by May 2, 2013. In that case, and only at that point in time, is the actually money taken from backers towards the project (nothing has been taken until that point).

B) Project does NOT hit $2M goal, so after May 2, 2013 NOTHING WHATSOEVER is taken from pledgers/backers. The project just doesn't happen.

So really, if the above is your concern, you have nothing to worry about. 

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Thanks, that was my main concern :) 
  • RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Hmm can this really still fund? I know there are usually big pledges at the end of a kickstarter, but i assumed it where a few big hitters, instead of thousands of little ones. And looking at the big tiers, many of them have been sold out for quite some time. You literally can't take the 5k gimmie-an-tavern-tier since it is sold out.

I think the tiers have been badly laid out:

5000 slots for the 25$ tier, only 1000 taken now = 25k$

10 slots for the 5k tier, all take since about a week in = 50k$

Same for the other 5k tier, and the top 10k tier has all of 2 slots left, so 20k tops additional money from that.

The way i see it MJ could have easily made lots more money by doubling or tripling the slots on those.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

Hmm can this really still fund? I know there are usually big pledges at the end of a kickstarter, but i assumed it where a few big hitters, instead of thousands of little ones. And looking at the big tiers, many of them have been sold out for quite some time. You literally can't take the 5k gimmie-an-tavern-tier since it is sold out.

Same for the other 5k tier, and the top 10k tier has all of 2 slots left, so 20k tops additional money from that.

The way i see it MJ could have easily made lots more money by doubling or tripling the slots on those.

I think that has less to do with MJ/CSE and more to do with how Kickstarter does pledging.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Danwarr

I think that has less to do with MJ/CSE and more to do with how Kickstarter does pledging.

Oh? I'll admit i have no idea how KS decides these things, though that would be ... unflexible.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

I would love to know the logic behind this assumption, I have seen quite a few people making similar claims.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Zinzan

I would love to know the logic behind this assumption, I have seen quite a few people making similar claims.

Yeah, I've seen the same thing which is why I posted that. I briefly searched for those specific posts but couldn't really find anything.

I also checked Kickstarter and couldn't find anything on limiting pledge tiers.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

Only $3,300 so far today. Not good. We need some killer updates about core game features soon.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• EasymodeXEasymodeX Member Posts: 149

At this rate I'm guessing it will end at 1.8-1.9m depending on how big the last 2-day spike is.

Pledges per day need to sustain at >$25k per day with an ending spike to hit the $2m mark.

• DocmanduDocmandu Member UncommonPosts: 64

Just have to think positive...

If the game funds, we get an new PvP game in 3 years time.

If it fails to fund, we don't loose any money.

Win Win!

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

It is so weird to me that a game idea with no gameplay, no proof of concept, no work completed, nothing to present, and no investor funding can't raise 2,000,000.

I guess we live in a world where there people won't buy something 3 years in advance that they've never seen.

Soooo weird.

Originally posted by indef

It is so weird to me that a game idea with no gameplay, no proof of concept, no work completed, nothing to present, and no investor funding can't raise 2,000,000.

I guess we live in a world where there people won't buy something 3 years in advance that they've never seen.

Soooo weird.

Was that a joke? I can't tell through internet, because it literally has all those things.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Only $3,300 so far today. Not good. We need some killer updates about core game features soon.

If they had anything I'd suggest they'd have posted it by now so they could extend the pledge further.

Then again Project Eternity and Torment funded on $4million each with little more then a few screenshots, some concept art, and a few videos telling people that their really good at telling stories in games, (Although generally ignoring why Obsidian need Kickstarter to fund something in Eternities case. I can suspect reasons but it's their pledge and others right to do what the want with their money.)

Personally I won't give Jacobs the benefit of the doubt for a third time and the whole veteren devs pilling into Kickstarter is akin to another gaming gold rush, but don't be surprised if CU does hit it's target. 

Gamers want to believe and those last few days could be crucial. The suckers ;)

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by Omnifish

If they had anything I'd suggest they'd have posted it by now so they could extend the pledge further.

Then again Project Eternity and Torment funded on $4million each with little more then a few screenshots, some concept art, and a few videos telling people that their really good at telling stories in games, (Although generally ignoring why Obsidian need Kickstarter to fund something in Eternities case. I can suspect reasons but it's their pledge and others right to do what the want with their money.)

Personally I won't give Jacobs the benefit of the doubt for a third time and the whole veteren devs pilling into Kickstarter is akin to another gaming gold rush, but don't be surprised if CU does hit it's target. 

Also, won't Paypal  get turned on once  the $2 M goal is hit? There will be a huge influx of Euros who tend not to have credit cards pledging when that happens, easily pushing into stretch goals.

• MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Tuktz
    Originally posted by indef

Soooo weird.

Was that a joke? I can't tell through internet, because it literally has all those things.

To start out: I don't like this posting of indef, it's sarcastic and doesn't contribute in any sort of way. I do hope he's capable of more contributing efforts.

But what's the finished work then? And where's the gameplay? There's nothing yet except PoCs and both general and detailed design ideas.

Note: i'm a backer.

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

Also, won't Paypal  get turned on once  the $2 M goal is hit? There will be a huge influx of Euros who tend not to have credit cards pledging when that happens, easily pushing into stretch goals.

Yes but I've highlighted the crucial part of your sentence. First the game has to fund. Then PayPal goes on. That first part is looking very iffy right now. I really wonder whether Mark factored in the PayPal situation when he picked $2 million as the goal. Was the real goal $2.25 million with $2 million from Kickstarter and $250,000 from PayPal or did he really only need $2 million? If the latter, then he should have only tried to raise $1.5 million on Kickstarter, hoped that PayPal brought the total up to $2 million, and covered any small gap (if any) himself.

• NavekNavek Member UncommonPosts: 71

Where do people get the misconception that people in Europe dont have credit cards ? It baffles me, as from what I've seen in the UK and whilst traveling in Europe they are are common here as they are in NA.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Navek

Where do people get the misconception that people in Europe dont have credit cards ? It baffles me, as from what I've seen in the UK and whilst traveling in Europe they are are common here as they are in NA.

I pledged to Elite using a debit card not a credit card

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    About time, it was getting pretty bad.
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Navek
    Originally posted by Tuktz Originally posted by Omnifish Originally posted by meddyck Only $3,300 so far today. Not good. We need some killer updates about core game features soon.
    If they had anything I'd suggest they'd have posted it by now so they could extend the pledge further. Then again Project Eternity and Torment funded on $4million each with little more then a few screenshots, some concept art, and a few videos telling people that their really good at telling stories in games, (Although generally ignoring why Obsidian need Kickstarter to fund something in Eternities case. I can suspect reasons but it's their pledge and others right to do what the want with their money.) Personally I won't give Jacobs the benefit of the doubt for a third time and the whole veteren devs pilling into Kickstarter is akin to another gaming gold rush, but don't be surprised if CU does hit it's target.  Gamers want to believe and those last few days could be crucial. The suckers ;)

The germans seem to have non...

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

I don't think it's looking iffy at all. If anything I think it's doing really well.

Look at past games (big or small) kickstarters, and look at their progression over time on Kicktraq.

The majority of them got 30-40% of their funding in the final 3 or 4 days.

For CU, that would be 500-600k. Add that to what we already have, and it funds.

There are 12 days left, that means 8 or 9 of those days, anything that comes in is stretch goals. =)

Oh plus the pay pal peeps after 2 M. Anything's possible I guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hit all the stretch goals.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I think it will make it, but by the skin of its teeth.

The real concern is the palty number of backers. Other titles have two or three times the number of backers with much smaller goals. 

All MMOs need healthy populations, this is not disputable. 

Hopefully they will make their goal and then soon they will do more than talk, show concept art and crappy tech demos. They need more interest than what they have if this is to last. 

Originally posted by Jyiiga

The real concern is the palty number of backers. Other titles have two or three times the number of backers with much smaller goals. 

Hopefully they will make their goal and then soon they will do more than talk, show concept art and crappy tech demos. They need more interest than what they have if this is to last. 

These are just backers, not players. Will be a different situations in late beta / closer to launch.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

These are just backers, not players. Will be a different situations in late beta / closer to launch.

Obviously there is some correlation between backers and players.