Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be Warned the game looks to be very short!

Comments

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138

Finally someone like Brownale gets it. 

Games are what you make of it.  Are you gonna beat the game that fast just because this guy beat it in 14 hours?

So the story quests took 14 hours to complete. There is plenty of other things to do in a game thats mmo based.

Super mario bros how fast can that game be beaten? DId they stop from how many people from playing it or still playing it?

Super mario 64 can be beaten in under 2 hours. Did that stop people from playing it?

Why do "gamers" think they are entitled to X amount of time in a game?  Just because the story is over doesn't mean the game is over. Any game can be replayed or explored for more extras or difficulties.

Should a movie cost less if its 1 and the half hours compared to one that is 2 and half to 3 hours?

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    Going to be more added later just my guess but yeah I'm not going to play this right now.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

LOL.  This site just gets more and more predictable all the time.  Called this a month ahead of time.

As soon as the game releases, no matter how much people are enjoying it or liked it or were excited for it, ALL THE HATERS come out in force.  Most people that hate haven't even played, even in the BETA's.

This fucking site is so full of haters of EVERY GAME OUT THERE (and EVERY game company) it's pathetic.  EXCEPT GW2 of course cuz you're not allowed to hate on this site on the Golden Child (that's grounds for banning).

The games not great or ground-breaking, but it's not the worst thing on the planet either.  If people want to enjoy it, let them.  Go back to your Troll holes.

--

ps - And yes, it was already announced that there would be non-paid updates.  Instead of hating, go read a real article; maybe watch a dev vid.  At least you'd get some fodder to hate if nothing else and stop talking out of your asses.

• Dyonisus77Dyonisus77 Member Posts: 5
    Playing through a game that fast is like having sex for 30 seconds. What's the point if you want to rush to the end? Just enjoy the ride. Your girlfriend will appreciate it in the future and so will you.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

It isn't hate from everyone.  I like the game, but there is a time limit until it becomes old.  I'm not saying its a bad value at $60, but its not game most people are going to be playing a long time.

Those side quests aren't all that, although the challenge stuff is good to do a few times.

I guess what I don't want to see is people posting 2 weeks or a month from now, crying because the love is gone.  "I did a charge back after finishing the mainstory and found no real endgame"

Understand what the game is, listen to the warnings and decide if you want to buy it.  If you do get it, then enjoyed it and don't complain later.

If all you hear is positive hype about a game, how can you make an informed choice?  

The devs will tell you -their game- is the second coming.  The game sites will say how much fun they had.  And the fans will overlook the flaws.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Just about any MMO is super short if you skip every side quest and only stick with the storyline...just sayin'

In my experience, for every storyline quest there seems to be like 3-5 side quests that you'll see sitting around waiting to be done.  Some of the side quests aren't that great, personal preference, but I do love the timed ones and the defend ones.  MMOs have been, are, and always will be about the journey, not the destination.  Just from my experience with friends that don't like some of the games I play, they come in rush through the content, then they're all dissatisfied...if you rush through an MMO, you're missing the entire point of the game.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Byrhofen
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I know what this guy's done from my experience in the last beta weekend. He's put his blinkers on, ignored all the side missions and just followed the main storyline events. He's probably bypassed 70% of the content.

I did the same thing with my first character. Took me around 4 hours to get all the way to the last Storyline Mission (in the beta that is), and when that was complete, all those "side missions" vanished off the map. So I made a new char and at each stage of the main mission, new side missions became available on the map. I'd then go and do all of those before moving on to the next main mission.

By doing this my 2nd char played the rest of the weekend and only made it about half way through the main storyline. So yeah, you can probably get through the main story in fairly short order, but there is other stuff going on. If you paid for the game you may as well take advantage of that content. Seems a waste to just bypass it all.

Thread should have ended with this post tbh.

How so?

Even the available side missions included, you get about 30 hours worth of content tops! That's it!

For comparison, I have spend over 200 hours in Skyrim and still haven't completed all the non-story content, still haven't explored the complete map and discovered every cave, dungeon, hidden content, have barely scratched the surface of crafting and still have a way to go in leveling / progressing my character!

The main storyline alone in Skyrim took me over 40 hours to complete. That is already more than all content of Defiance combined.

Defiance doesn't even come close.

The main story took you 40 hours. LOL My friend beat the story in like 9 hours. The story is very short sorry. What makes skyrim long is the side quest.

I love posts based around that statement, it warms my cockles lol

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by cm01

Progressive updates throughout its lifetime. So basically just like every mmorpg on the market? Released way too early, hardly any content, no end game. Is receiving updates over time something new that Defiance brings to the table? No, I didn't think so.

You seem to have forgotten that it is 60 bucks for access to the servers without monthly fee or swtor-style microtransactions, also content updates (except from major expansions) and unlimited playtime.

Seems like a good deal to me, just like GW2 and Diablo 3.

Also - Defiance is NOT A MMORPG - it's a shooter. Even Trion said it is a shooter.

Nope! The 60 bucks is what you get now!  Every little content / feature update will be PAID DLC!

And for the rest you will be nickle and dimed in the Cash Shop!

Trion actually said that there will be free content updates as well. The community manager stated

"Q: How many DLCs are planned? What is the value of DLC?

A: I can’t speak to the details of DLC yet; we will be announcing those in February. What I can tell you is that Defiance will have numerous free updates, just like any online world. You will not need to buy the DLC to enjoy these free updates! Stay tuned for more clarity on how DLC will work in Defiance."

In this thread http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?1402-Preorder-FAQ

So there will be free updates that don't require a purchase.

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Progressive updates throughout its lifetime. So basically just like every mmorpg on the market? Released way too early, hardly any content, no end game. Is receiving updates over time something new that Defiance brings to the table? No, I didn't think so.

You seem to have forgotten that it is 60 bucks for access to the servers without monthly fee or swtor-style microtransactions, also content updates (except from major expansions) and unlimited playtime.

Seems like a good deal to me, just like GW2 and Diablo 3.

Also - Defiance is NOT A MMORPG - it's a shooter. Even Trion said it is a shooter.

Nope! The 60 bucks is what you get now!  Every little content / feature update will be PAID DLC!

And for the rest you will be nickle and dimed in the Cash Shop!

Trion actually said that there will be free content updates as well. The community manager stated

"Q: How many DLCs are planned? What is the value of DLC?

A: I can’t speak to the details of DLC yet; we will be announcing those in February. What I can tell you is that Defiance will have numerous free updates, just like any online world. You will not need to buy the DLC to enjoy these free updates! Stay tuned for more clarity on how DLC will work in Defiance."

In this thread http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?1402-Preorder-FAQ

So there will be free updates that don't require a purchase.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?5698-Why-conquer-the-world-if-you-can-t-talk-about-it

We're also doing DLC and guess what: much of the content in them will be free for everyone. We don't split you away from your friends and have you pay us to be alone in a dungeon. That would be weird.

I also keep forgetting MMOs have an end and never get content updates.... Oh wait...

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I"ve been taking my time, doing the side quests, reading the story, listening to the intel, participating in the arkfalls trying to complete my pursuits and I'm not even halfway through the first area let alone the main story. If you rush progression then I can see it being somewhat short but that's the fault of the player. Clearly not a game built around "end game" as there are no raids or end game content of a traditional nature, I'm not really sure why people would have that expectation with so much content freely viewable. I had a great idea of what this game would be so I'm very pleased. Will be enjoying for a long time along with content updates, should be a great ride.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Originally posted by UnrealRpg
    Lets put a games worth into numbers rather than fun.

Because more is better than less.

More than what, less than what? The thread is about someone that bypassed the bulk of the content in the game to reach the last zone in 12 hours. Again, Skyrim was beat in 2 hours. 

Bypassing the majority of the content and then saying there wasn't enough content is not the same as little or not enough content lol. 

I get that you don't like the game, you've gone as far as to insult those that do. You've made your point, you don't like the game. Others do, I'm not sure why that bothers you so much. This isn't like Greedmonger, War Z, or SWTOR. The game was priced reasonably ($60 lifetime sub), it offers a good amount of content especially for a $60 game, there is no pay to win cash shop, Trion hasn't attempted to scam anyone, the games not some ripoff cash grab or vaporware. 

$60 for a game that many seem to find fun, that will continue to grow even though it offers a great deal of content for the price tag, and that ties into a TV show that some feel they may like isn't a bad deal. 

Let's put a game's worth in numbers because more is better than less rather than fun

fun=invalid

worth=invalid

more numbers, better=worth more fun

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

When people posted on the forums

-that the game would be tiny at release

-that you wouldn't get too much worthwhile content for your FULL AAA retail price, but have to buy "more game" by DLC

-that you would play through it in 2 weeks

they all got run over by the white knights and fanboys.

Just like Rift, the game IS small. Plus it has by no means the overall quality Rift had at release.

Defiance looks like Trions needs a quick cash in after the EoN desaster and SL not saving Rift. If this wasn't a Trion game and wouldn't have the hype about the tv-show about it, no one would give a hoot.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    Originally posted by Volgore

When people posted on the forums

-that the game would be tiny at release

-that you wouldn't get too much worthwhile content for your FULL AAA retail price, but have to buy "more game" by DLC

-that you would play through it in 2 weeks

they all got run over by the white knights and fanboys.

Just like Rift, the game IS small. Plus it has by no means the overall quality Rift had at release.

Defiance looks like Trions needs a quick cash in after the EoN desaster and SL not saving Rift. If this wasn't a Trion game and wouldn't have the hype about the tv-show about it, no one would give a hoot.

Rift's worldsize was much larger than Defiance. Rift's amount of content at release was far more than Defiance.

I just can't believe I let myself suckered in again... I guess my faith in TRION (with Rift) has clouded my judgement yet again.

Defiance is just one huge insult. Even if they sold this as a single player game, it still has way too little content and too little landmass.

• cm01cm01 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Fluxii

LOL.  This site just gets more and more predictable all the time.  Called this a month ahead of time.

As soon as the game releases, no matter how much people are enjoying it or liked it or were excited for it, ALL THE HATERS come out in force.  Most people that hate haven't even played, even in the BETA's.

This fucking site is so full of haters of EVERY GAME OUT THERE (and EVERY game company) it's pathetic.  EXCEPT GW2 of course cuz you're not allowed to hate on this site on the Golden Child (that's grounds for banning).

The games not great or ground-breaking, but it's not the worst thing on the planet either.  If people want to enjoy it, let them.  Go back to your Troll holes.

--

ps - And yes, it was already announced that there would be non-paid updates.  Instead of hating, go read a real article; maybe watch a dev vid.  At least you'd get some fodder to hate if nothing else and stop talking out of your asses.

Erm, many of us were even closed testers. Haters? We warned the game was not ready to release, prior to release.

I personally said that it'll only take 3 days for come here posting about their mistake in buying this game. Most people will realize there's no content in that time. People who barely play might find it takes a week or 2 and then they too will realize the same thing.

The game will be a ghost town within a month.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

So, because the world is not huge as Azeroth, I am not allowed to enjoy this game?

Please...

Remember, a show runs next to this game. When the show has launched, the game and the show will affect each other. Don't tell me that wouldn't include updates.

• cm01cm01 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

So, because the world is not huge as Azeroth, I am not allowed to enjoy this game?

Please...

Remember, a show runs next to this game. When the show has launched, the game and the show will affect each other. Don't tell me that wouldn't include updates.

Nobody here mentioned WoW, except you. Grats wowboy.

All online games have updates, show or not. Does the show mean you'll get a lot more than other games? No reason to believe so, but time will tell.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Scripted mmos are always short.

An mmo can only rely on solo questing and cut scenes so much before players are extremely bored (cough swtor).

All script, no depth.

I have been preeching this for a long time. an MMORPG is no place for a scripted game. Sure a nice little world story is interesting, but it should never be a focus.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Please...

Apparently not, the game offers (to me) atlaest as much content as any single player and/or non mmo game, for the same price.

And lets not forget how.. free those "free"content updates are with WoW (or rift for that matter) , lets say.. content update every 2-2 months in those, ~15usd sub, that makes 30-45 usd.. so much for free content.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

One of the major reasons I decided to pass on the game was simply that, having experienced it in beta, I knew the game was quite shallow.  There just sadly isn't much there aside from exactly what you've seen so far.

This is NOT an MMO where you step into another world and get super swept away by all the immersion, detail and plethora of things to do. It's very straight-forward.  It's a big third person shooter.  If that's what you're after, go for it. Just don't expect too much from the game.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Please...

Nobody here mentioned WoW, except you. Grats wowboy.

All online games have updates, show or not. Does the show mean you'll get a lot more than other games? No reason to believe so, but time will tell.

You are just too stupid to insult.

Originally posted by Panthien

Please...

Apparently not, the game offers (to me) atlaest as much content as any single player and/or non mmo game, for the same price.

And lets not forget how.. free those "free"content updates are with WoW (or rift for that matter) , lets say.. content update every 2-2 months in those, ~15usd sub, that makes 30-45 usd.. so much for free content.

Same.

i don't care how big the zones are.

The game has:

World raids (which compensates heavily for the small zone, at least for me.

- co-op maps (funnier with more players in a MMO)

- PvP maps

That covers my needs.

• RexGarvinRexGarvin Member Posts: 28
    Another SWTOR ripoff!!!  These companys are not interested in a true mmo but only in a quck money making game. At least this game didnt kill off another game(like SWTOR killed off SWG)to make sure it got every dime out of the public.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by RexGarvin
    Another SWTOR ripoff!!!  These companys are not interested in a true mmo but only in a quck money making game. At least this game didnt kill off another game(like SWTOR killed off SWG)to make sure it got every dime out of the public.

How exactly is this a SWTOR ripoff? Really lost here... the games play nothing alike, btw.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

So.

Can you tell me why this is a SWTOR ripoffs?

It also bugs me, that Borderlands became so popular when it is just a Diablo ripoff.

See what I did there?

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by SoulStain

Happens every video game..mmo or otherwise..no matter how much content. Someone always bypasses everything except the main story in record time..probably sitting in their own waste half the time just to finish. Then people come on here or another forum and cry "rip-off". Oh well.

I never planned on playing this game non-stop for months at a time. I paid one price and I can play it whenever I want without a monthly fee. Same reason I bought  GW2  and TSW. With these and a few F2p games I play as well as subbing to SWTOR...I always have something to do.

finaly a real gamer and not just a content locust......game on bro...respect.

For the rest of you......gaming is supose to be fun, try to remember that :)

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by DeaconX

How exactly is this a SWTOR ripoff? Really lost here... the games play nothing alike, btw.

I gues he means you use a computer keyboad and mouse, there for its a swtor ripoff.

Sillyness aside, the game gives great vallue for its price, sure it just may not be everyones game but then again.. what game is?

But but there is a guy who managed to finish the current content in 12 hours! Well.. thats already more then the entire crysis series offered to me, borderlands (either) didnt even last 6 hours to complete and difficulties, though I admit I didnt play all the classes. Bioshock 1-3? 2-4 hours to complete, starcraft? WC? simulair story. Any of the diablo games (and their payed expantions) never past 4 hours. Granted all of the above ended up with some minor re-running and in most cases some multi-play time.