Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be Warned the game looks to be very short!

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by Adren
    Think about it tho if its 12 hrs to beat the game now maybe in every episode theres another 12 hours to the story mode added im sure after every episode they wouldnt add just a small amount of content during every episode

LOL! They spend 2 years giving us the 30 hours of content we got now. And you think they can deliver 12 hours worth of content every single week with each episode?

I would love to know what you are smoking! I would like some of it as well. lol.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Byrhofen
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I know what this guy's done from my experience in the last beta weekend. He's put his blinkers on, ignored all the side missions and just followed the main storyline events. He's probably bypassed 70% of the content.

I did the same thing with my first character. Took me around 4 hours to get all the way to the last Storyline Mission (in the beta that is), and when that was complete, all those "side missions" vanished off the map. So I made a new char and at each stage of the main mission, new side missions became available on the map. I'd then go and do all of those before moving on to the next main mission.

By doing this my 2nd char played the rest of the weekend and only made it about half way through the main storyline. So yeah, you can probably get through the main story in fairly short order, but there is other stuff going on. If you paid for the game you may as well take advantage of that content. Seems a waste to just bypass it all.

Thread should have ended with this post tbh.

How so?

Even the available side missions included, you get about 30 hours worth of content tops! That's it!

For comparison, I have spend over 200 hours in Skyrim and still haven't completed all the non-story content, still haven't explored the complete map and discovered every cave, dungeon, hidden content, have barely scratched the surface of crafting and still have a way to go in leveling / progressing my character!

The main storyline alone in Skyrim took me over 40 hours to complete. That is already more than all content of Defiance combined.

Defiance doesn't even come close.

The main story took you 40 hours. LOL My friend beat the story in like 9 hours. The story is very short sorry. What makes skyrim long is the side quest.

I call bullocks! Even on Easymode the main storyline takes much longer than 9 hours!

On first normal playthrough it took the average player 30 hours.

On first playthrough for the more hardcore peeps it took about 18 hours. And that is rushing and without using exploits!

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Honestly, if you didn't see this coming you've really gotta take off your blinders.  

NDA was just lifted a week or two ago (bad sign), two of Trion's longtime studio execs jump ship without warning a month or two before launch, TV show is set in St. Louis yet the game is set in San Francisco, shall I keep going?

I'm a sucker for new MMO's and will typically throw some money at almost any piece of garbage in hopes that it might be decent, and even I stayed clear of this one. 

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by zevenzeros

I know what this guy's done from my experience in the last beta weekend. He's put his blinkers on, ignored all the side missions and just followed the main storyline events. He's probably bypassed 70% of the content.

I did the same thing with my first character. Took me around 4 hours to get all the way to the last Storyline Mission (in the beta that is), and when that was complete, all those "side missions" vanished off the map. So I made a new char and at each stage of the main mission, new side missions became available on the map. I'd then go and do all of those before moving on to the next main mission.

By doing this my 2nd char played the rest of the weekend and only made it about half way through the main storyline. So yeah, you can probably get through the main story in fairly short order, but there is other stuff going on. If you paid for the game you may as well take advantage of that content. Seems a waste to just bypass it all.

Yeah i guess you could say the game has some more side quests to do, but even if that doubles the ammount of time it takes like say 15 hours main story and 15 hours side quests game still is only 30 hours. After that you have Ark falls which seem to be worthless from what i understand, PvP which looks ok but you could really do that in better games and a couple of Coop instances i think like 4? I would be more ok with the main story being short if the game map was huge! and had lots of side missions and random events going on. Sadly its a very tiny map.

Wow, it just seems gamers year after year have diminished expectations with these games.  Im so glad I didnt preorder this.  Im going to pay 60 dollars for such a short experience.? You got halfway through in a weekend!   I consider that a sad state of affairs for a new game launch.  What happened to massive game worlds?   

• zevenzeroszevenzeros Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Adren
    Think about it tho if its 12 hrs to beat the game now maybe in every episode theres another 12 hours to the story mode added im sure after every episode they wouldnt add just a small amount of content during every episode

I really dont see them adding anything with each episode as the game really has nothing to do with the tv show other then being in the same world. The game is based in San Fransisco and the show is Based in St Louis 2 different story lines i think.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Honestly, if you didn't see this coming you've really gotta take off your blinders.  

NDA was just lifted a week or two ago (bad sign), two of Trion's longtime studio execs jump ship without warning a month or two before launch, TV show is set in St. Louis yet the game is set in San Francisco, shall I keep going?

I'm a sucker for new MMO's and will typically throw some money at almost any piece of garbage in hopes that it might be decent, and even I stayed clear of this one. 

Thank You, I came on after the last beta and said the game failed as a shooter and as an rpg and had some folks jump my shit. I had high hopes but I'm glad I didn't burn MY $60 on this. I told them all we'll revisit the conversation in a month if their still playing and I bet they wont be.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Well yeah lol, if you skip the bulk of the content it is a short game. Then again, even though he/she skipped most of the content they still aren't "finished" since the game progresses as the TV show progresses lol. UO and FFXI are pretty short games as well if you skip the bulk of the content. 

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    So you rather spend $60 on a game that has maybe 8 hours of story. Once you beat it you'll never touch again rather than a $60 game that has more to do than just the story? So it takes 14 hours to beat the story line quest. There still is plenty to do. Think about Skyrim...the main story line quest doesn't take that long to beat at all but its about the gameplay and game rather than just the story.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I have chose to wait it out as im pretty sure this game will go free to play at some point. Free to play with a good cash shop and decent expansions for like 10-20$ every new season of the tv show seems like what this game should have been.

Not again.... it is a B2P MMO it won't go F2P. Learn the difference. The box price will always be there and game already has a cash shop. I bet you find out  about this game just like an hour ago?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    People will always rush to end game "to be first" and for the "end game content". I think it should be called WoW Syndrome honestly.  That game created the NEED to be top level asap to play.
    Originally posted by UnrealRpg
    So you rather spend $60 on a game that has maybe 8 hours of story. Once you beat it you'll never touch again rather than a $60 game that has more to do than just the story? So it takes 14 hours to beat the story line quest. There still is plenty to do. Think about Skyrim...the main story line quest doesn't take that long to beat at all but its about the gameplay and game rather than just the story.

Bah, I just came back to edit my post and add Skyrim and Oblivion but you beat me to it lol. 

I'm sure everyone remembers how Skyrim was beaten in a mere 2 hours by the guy that beat Fallout 3 in 75 minutes.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113646-Skyrim-Beaten-In-Just-Over-Two-Hours

Skyrim, nor Fallout 3 were short games. If of course you rush through and skip the majority of the content then yes the game can be short, very short indeed.  

Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    I have chose to wait it out as im pretty sure this game will go free to play at some point. Free to play with a good cash shop and decent expansions for like 10-20$ every new season of the tv show seems like what this game should have been.

Not again.... it is a B2P MMO it won't go F2P. Learn the difference. The box price will always be there and game already has a cash shop. I bet you find out  about this game just like an hour ago?                 

People like you really blow my mind! either you didnt read my post at all or your just plain dumb. In my post i clearly state that i think the game will go free to play at some point. At no point in time did i express that i did not understand what b2p or buy to play means. clearly as you stated "learn the difference"  makes little to no sense. At no point in time have i said the game is free to play or even remotely hinted that it is. I said i think the game will go free to play at some point and i think it should have launched free to play. How is that even hard to understand.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Redcor
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Thank You, I came on after the last beta and said the game failed as a shooter and as an rpg and had some folks jump my shit. I had high hopes but I'm glad I didn't burn MY $60 on this. I told them all we'll revisit the conversation in a month if their still playing and I bet they wont be.

I tried beta 3 times, and all I can say is there is no way I would play this on the pc,  not sure how they were going to tie it in with the tv shows based in saint louis either.  However the ui was just so bad on the pc I decided to stay clear of it.  I just mark it as another failure for trion. 

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Thyrsos
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by cm01

Progressive updates throughout its lifetime. So basically just like every mmorpg on the market? Released way too early, hardly any content, no end game. Is receiving updates over time something new that Defiance brings to the table? No, I didn't think so.

You seem to have forgotten that it is 60 bucks for access to the servers without monthly fee or swtor-style microtransactions, also content updates (except from major expansions) and unlimited playtime.

Seems like a good deal to me, just like GW2 and Diablo 3.

Also - Defiance is NOT A MMORPG - it's a shooter. Even Trion said it is a shooter.

Nope! The 60 bucks is what you get now!  Every little content / feature update will be PAID DLC!

And for the rest you will be nickle and dimed in the Cash Shop!

Content will be available for free. There will be optional content per paid DLC.

The Cash Shop is convenience and cosmetics atm. Expensive but not p2win.

Where is this mentioned? So far everything points to PAID DLC only.

i read somewhere on the off. forums (too lazy to search for it now tho :P) that the new story/areas will be free for all after the 1 time purchase so friends will always be able to play together. still other stuff besides the story will be only available for those that bought the DLC. dunno what exactly that will be but maybe new weapon types or something of that sort.

and well a game like defiance where there is so much to do besides the main story who would complain about a 1 time 50-60 bucks when most single player games hardly touch the 10hr mark nowadays.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

People like you really blow my mind! either you didnt read my post at all or your just plain dumb. In my post i clearly state that i think the game will go free to play at some point. At no point in time did i express that i did not understand what b2p or buy to play means. clearly as you stated "learn the difference"  makes little to no sense. At no point in time have i said the game is free to play or even remotely hinted that it is. I said i think the game will go free to play at some point and i think it should have launched free to play. How is that even hard to understand.

Please pray tell how a B2P MMO will change itself into a F2P MMO when the whole point of B2P is to be like F2P only difference is that in B2P you pay for the client in F2P you do not. Everything else is essentially the same.

So if you knew difference between B2P and F2P model you wouldn't even post something so silly. But if you want Defiance to go F2P i guess you will have to wait...FOREVER!!

Good luck with that.

The only thing that will ever change is that client price will come down but it will never go away. B2P MMOS make money from box sales and cash shop with seasonal DLC's. That is what B2P model is all about.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

I almost forgot games were about having fun. Now it seems to be what X amount of time does it take to beat and if I don't like that number than I don't like that game.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Yeah i guess you could say the game has some more side quests to do, but even if that doubles the ammount of time it takes like say 15 hours main story and 15 hours side quests game still is only 30 hours. After that you have Ark falls which seem to be worthless from what i understand, PvP which looks ok but you could really do that in better games and a couple of Coop instances i think like 4? I would be more ok with the main story being short if the game map was huge! and had lots of side missions and random events going on. Sadly its a very tiny map.

Doubles? No, I found I spent at least 4 times as much time doing all the side missions, trials and hotspots as I did on the main storyline. By that reckonning it's more like 60 hours, but I can't be sure because I never played outside of the Mt Tam/Madera region.

I do know that after blowing through the main story in about 4 hours and re-rolling, I probably spent another 25-30 hours in game and I was still doing stuff around the 2nd fast travel spot at the ranch, Iron Demon is it? I forget. I hadn't made it to the 3rd fast travel spot where the alien politician chick was based.

So 30 hours and not out of Mt Tam/Madera. That's what? 1/4 of the game world so far? Does that mean we'll see 120 hours? I dunno but I can state as fact that I played 25-30 hours and wasn't even out of the starter region.

Please pray tell how a B2P MMO will change itself into a F2P MMO when the whole point of B2P is to be like F2P only difference is that in B2P you pay for the client in F2P you do not. Everything else is essentially the same.

So if you knew difference between B2P and F2P model you wouldn't even post something so silly. But if you want Defiance to go F2P i guess you will have to wait...FOREVER!!

Good luck with that.

The only thing that will ever change is that client price will come down but it will never go away. B2P MMOS make money from box sales and cash shop with seasonal DLC's. That is what B2P model is all about.

So your trying to explain to me what B2P means gee thanks i guess seeing as  i understand what it means. An its simple to go from B2P to F2P then just make the client a free download. Everyone who bought the game before it went free to play would now get all DLCs at a cheaper rate say 20% off and everything in the game store 20% off and on a monthly time frame they well recive gifts for buying the game before hand. I dont know how it would work but just coming up with something that simple in a few seconds im sure they could come up with something just as good.

In any case i dont even have to explain how or why they would go from B2P to F2P because guess what its called an opinion and i clearly state that i think the game will go free to play. Just like many other games at some point have gone free to play. An yes if i have to wait forever i guess i will and never will play this game so be it. But i think at some point this game will go free to play because the mass ammount of people that will be leaveing and not comeing back.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

Happens every video game..mmo or otherwise..no matter how much content. Someone always bypasses everything except the main story in record time..probably sitting in their own waste half the time just to finish. Then people come on here or another forum and cry "rip-off". Oh well.

I never planned on playing this game non-stop for months at a time. I paid one price and I can play it whenever I want without a monthly fee. Same reason I bought  GW2  and TSW. With these and a few F2p games I play as well as subbing to SWTOR...I always have something to do.

Good luck with that.

So your trying to explain to me what B2P means gee thanks i guess seeing as  i understand what it means. An its simple to go from B2P to F2P then just make the client a free download. Everyone who bought the game before it went free to play would now get all DLCs at a cheaper rate say 20% off and everything in the game store 20% off and on a monthly time frame they well recive gifts for buying the game before hand. I dont know how it would work but just coming up with something that simple in a few seconds im sure they could come up with something just as good.

In any case i dont even have to explain how or why they would go from B2P to F2P because guess what its called an opinion and i clearly state that i think the game will go free to play. Just like many other games at some point have gone free to play. An yes if i have to wait forever i guess i will and never will play this game so be it. But i think at some point this game will go free to play because the mass ammount of people that will be leaveing and not comeing back.

GW is how many years old now? yes you can buy GW for lot cheaper than at release but Anet is not giving out the client for free. That is just wishful thnking to expect the company to start giving out client for free when there are no monthly subs to begin with and most of their profits come from client sales and DLC's.

So even though it is your 'opinion' doesn't mean that your opinion is right. The whole idea behind B2P model is to avoid P2P ->F2P route.  

B2P is essentialy a F2P with client price. So the whole 'it will go F2P' makes no sense.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

Lets put a games worth into numbers rather than fun.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Because more is better than less.

Originally posted by mmoguy43

Because more is better than less.

More than what, less than what? The thread is about someone that bypassed the bulk of the content in the game to reach the last zone in 12 hours. Again, Skyrim was beat in 2 hours. 

Bypassing the majority of the content and then saying there wasn't enough content is not the same as little or not enough content lol. 

I get that you don't like the game, you've gone as far as to insult those that do. You've made your point, you don't like the game. Others do, I'm not sure why that bothers you so much. This isn't like Greedmonger, War Z, or SWTOR. The game was priced reasonably ($60 lifetime sub), it offers a good amount of content especially for a $60 game, there is no pay to win cash shop, Trion hasn't attempted to scam anyone, the games not some ripoff cash grab or vaporware. 

$60 for a game that many seem to find fun, that will continue to grow even though it offers a great deal of content for the price tag, and that ties into a TV show that some feel they may like isn't a bad deal. 

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

This thread highlights everything thats wrong with the PC mmo gamers today.

To these people games stopped being games, and started being some form of investment and life choice.

For me its not a game i expect to be playing for years and years, its not the same old tab target high fantasy mmorpg where im clearing a farmers field of boars and doing fex ex quests.  Also, compared to a lot of other, extremely high quality, FPS/TPS games that cost about the same, it has a lot more content.

When your games become a seriously big deal, and your decision to "invest" in a game requires serious deliberation and a lot of emotions...well perhaps its time to get a new hobby.

No one ever said, nor expected, this game to be some sort of 10 year epic mmorpg more complex than anarchy online.  Its an online MMOTPS tied into a tv series, and i exect constant contant roll outs.  Im sure Trion will toss in some free content and reserve the big stuff for DLC, if not...well...im sure everyone here has no problem finding highly qualified programmers who will work for free..unless you want to support slave wages across the ocean i guess.

Anyway, its a nice change of pace for me.  Ill play it untill it stops becoming entertaining, then ill come back to it at a later date.  Ive got a steam library full of games that ive fully enjoyed but will have played less in the end than this one.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

As far as it  'seems' at least, its just the 'story' that is short, the gameplay itself built around doing events and other features not just the story. Its just there to tack in the setting a bit before allowing the player to go about doing their own thing in the world.

That being said though, it all depends on what you can do after the end. Does it have enough stuff to do and variety to forfill your needs? No ones going to hit max "Ego" from the looks of its design, so its all about progressing that up while doing other activities. Its one of those 'wait and see' things we won't be able to really tell until a month+ after if it can hold attention.