Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy GW2?

Comments

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Yes buy it.  It's the best themepark game out there currently.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I have A LOT of hours played. (over 1800)

IMO, it's an amazing value. There's a lot to do and it keeps growing every month without fail.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Nah, don't bother. Very linear. Feels like a solo game, as well.
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

It's a solid game (probably the best game I've played in a good while). Well worth the money.  

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by zastroph
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I did start by saying "IMO"

@ zastroph, since I'm not color coding my life around this discussion :p (thats fine, you started using color and bold print!)

1.) You stated that the game wasn't worth $60 in your opinion, you said the reason was because it was 80% unplayable.  You stated the latter as if it were fact.  I pointed out how it isn't.  It's not even close to 80%.  How is this even an argument when people are playing 100% of the game as I write this?

I did not say anything about $60, I said it was not worth buying! My last post stated that it is 99% unplayable once you get to lvl 80! If others are playing 100% of the game then they dont mind the fact of being dead 99% of the time, where as I do. The whole challange of playing is to keep playing not be killed (and run of to get repairs ever other battle)!

2.) Your preference regarding down-leveling is just that, a preference.  Maybe some people don't want to get to max level and be able to one shot entire events because of it.  It's not a poor design decision nor is it "retarded", it just isn't your style.  People who enjoy outleveling things in WoW probably won't like it, but here's a free tip - you are still more powerful than things your own level while down-leveling if you've got max level gear.  Just not bosses.  And you can solo Champions if you know what you're doing.

I have 7 lvl 80 chars (maybe I did get my moneys worth, but when I pay money I want to be able to use the whole thing, not just some of it!), which I used in game money to buy the extra slots. The only class that I have been able to solo champions with is the mesmer, but this is NOT all champions, jsut the ones that don't pull you in and 1 hit kill you (it is these that I am refering to when I say pve is unplayable), the rest are too busy trying to kill your clones to kill you!

3.) You still didn't answer me how you're forced to buy anything.  The GW2 cash shop doesn't force you to spend money in order to transfer to another server.  Fact.  It doesn't force you to spend money on anything except the game.  Fact.  I'm not even trying to be rude here, but maybe you didn't know you can grind in-game money in order to buy CS products and services.  ALL of them.  Well now you do.  Nexon could learn from ANet here.

I did answer, you need to buy items to use the forge! Although I do agree that if I did not spend all of my in game money buying more character slots, I could use it to buy the required items!

4.) The game, like most games, is 100% playable.  You just need to get better at it.

A lvl 80 char being 1 hit dead by a lvl 10 pve champ is just pathetic no matter how you look at it!

You really need to be able to post more clearly.  What a mess.

Since it was so hard to understand I jumped to the end where you said: 

A lvl 80 char being 1 hit dead by a lvl 10 pve champ is just pathetic no matter how you look at it!

That really doesn't happen.  When I take my level 80 character around Queensdale waiting for the SB I do some of the low level champs like the Corrupted Oak Fella.  Last I remember, she didn't one hit me and I did solo her.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

You can listen to posts on here OP or search the internet for reviews. They are all extremely high. This is not a coincidence, the game is very good. There are thousands playing and having a great time.

The folks that find it boring are those that imho, are those that were  hand held in quest chain games.

I made a short video 2 nights ago while we were in WvWvW and I clipped it to make it short on youtube. My point is to show others that there are so many playing the game that negative opionions here are moot.   The game has more depth than most haters would want folks to believe because they won't take the extra step to craft their exalted gear or complete achievements.

Awards & Accolades.  If you don't like the game thats great, and as I have said before, please post what you are playing now. I'm always looking for a game that scores higher than PC Game of the Year.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TomShadowTomShadow Member Posts: 13

GW2 is a solid value for my gaming money.  I've been playing consistently since the Aug 2012 release and have no plans to stop.  Do you research though through the GuldWars 2 Facebook page, GW2 wiki's forums, Youtube posts.  The GW2 community is great.  Be informed before you make your choice.

Wish I had seen this post earlier since this weekend is free trial weekend and you can play till I believe end of Apr 21st.  Good luck in finding a game you enjoy.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    It's a good pve game.Crafting is awful...and WvW mindlessly repetative.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

if you like console games disguised into MMO, it's the one!

I would rather try for free (I guess you can do it now) to have an idea about.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Knowing what I know now...I would not have bought the game.

Reasons....simply awful crafting and even worse WvW.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    DONT get suckered into buying this game! So stupid. Cant believe I stupided into getting the deluxe edition even!! OMG im so stupid! gonna go slap myself in front of a mirror.

Quality evaluation.

Anyway, everyone's different but I must admit that I find ArenaNet did a lot of things very right. If you love exploration/pve the game is definitely worth it. Character customization is also much stronger than most games. Overall, I think it's more then well worth the price of purchase especially considering you will never have to pay a monthly fee.

Something I'll add is, it's FULL of quality content, quests often varry greatly so you're not always doing the same thing and get really creative sometimes, the community at least on Tarnished Coast (rp server) is pretty great - I get into random role play sessions with strangers I just meet while adventuring all the time... the game is very solid. I haven't encountered any actual bugs since beta.  You're getting a very polished game, that's for sure.

IF GW2 doesn't quite do it for you, I'd also like to recommend The Secret World. Pretty awesome mmorpg - completely underrated, as most of Funcom's work tends to be sadly.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

No matter how many times you say it, it still doesn't matter because it was voted very high here. Facts are facts. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Amjoco

No matter how many times you say it, it still doesn't matter because it was voted very high here. Facts are facts. :)

The game was over-hyped and people still in the "Honeymoon" phase rated it high and defended it from their short time experience with the game. As you play the game more and more, you realize it's a shallow game with good graphics. Hype ratings are not an accurate representation of a game's "Fun factor" for reasons like hype, opinion, bias, experience with the game.

Essentially to level, you have a story which is inferior to Guild Wars 1. The levels jump so you can't keep doing the story and need to grind. You can grind hearts (Do repetitive kill x or pick up y). Dungeons were OK, but Arah still needed fixing from when I tried that one. PvP is imbalanced, they couldn't handle balance in Guild Wars 1 with many skills, in GW2 there are less skills but they still can't/refuse to balance insta-kill warrior, thief and the fly all over the place and kill you elementalist. Play those classes if you want easy kills, I know I do, but it's all fun and games until you run into another OP class user.

Guild Wars 1 I believe was a great, Guild Wars 2 falls flat. They should have focused on what was great about Guild Wars 1 instead of trying to copy.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    I would recommend it, yes.

Originally posted by Betakodo

The game was over-hyped and people still in the "Honeymoon" phase rated it high and defended it from their short time experience with the game. As you play the game more and more, you realize it's a shallow game with good graphics. Hype ratings are not an accurate representation of a game's "Fun factor" for reasons like hype, opinion, bias, experience with the game.

Essentially to level, you have a story which is inferior to Guild Wars 1. The levels jump so you can't keep doing the story and need to grind. You can grind hearts (Do repetitive kill x or pick up y). Dungeons were OK, but Arah still needed fixing from when I tried that one. PvP is imbalanced, they couldn't handle balance in Guild Wars 1 with many skills, in GW2 there are less skills but they still can't/refuse to balance insta-kill warrior, thief and the fly all over the place and kill you elementalist. Play those classes if you want easy kills, I know I do, but it's all fun and games until you run into another OP class user.

Guild Wars 1 I believe was a great, Guild Wars 2 falls flat. They should have focused on what was great about Guild Wars 1 instead of trying to copy.

Once again it is your opinion that you don't like the game. My point is that the "honeymoon" phase has ended and thousands are still playing the game. You can pick portions of the game to bits just like any game, but overall the game is a solid AAA title and continues to score high on game reviews. 

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Betakodo

Once again it is your opinion that you don't like the game. My point is that the "honeymoon" phase has ended and thousands are still playing the game. You can pick portions of the game to bits just like any game, but overall the game is a solid AAA title and continues to score high on game reviews. 

Agreed on all counts with Amjoco.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by bliss14

That really doesn't happen.  When I take my level 80 character around Queensdale waiting for the SB I do some of the low level champs like the Corrupted Oak Fella.  Last I remember, she didn't one hit me and I did solo her.

That champion is one of the easy ones, I can solo it with my lvl 35 warrior, so long as I use a ranged weapon and keep moving. I frequently kill it and the vets around it! I can solo the troll as well!

The lvl 10 champ I was thinking of is to the right of the AC dungeon (past the wp). It has been a while since I went anywhere near it because it is insanely hard, so I can't remember its name!

I did not say ALL champions, just some of them!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

That champion is one of the easy ones, I can solo it with my lvl 35 warrior, so long as I use a ranged weapon and keep moving. I frequently kill it and the vets around it! I can solo the troll as well!

The lvl 10 champ I was thinking of is to the right of the AC dungeon (past the wp). It has been a while since I went anywhere near it because it is insanely hard, so I can't remember its name!

Well yeah... but you said it's unplayable.  What you meant is unsoloable.  I guess I don't get why people would want to just destroy everything with no effort.  I absolutely hated it when WoW made the world elites weak pushovers.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Well yeah... but you said it's unplayable.  What you meant is unsoloable.  I guess I don't get why people would want to just destroy everything with no effort.  I absolutely hated it when WoW made the world elites weak pushovers.

Yeah, it cheapens the experience. Actually, I wish that lower levels were even harder in GW2 for a level 80. Right now I feel like they've skewed it to the too easy side more than anything.

Originally posted by colddog04

Yeah, it cheapens the experience. Actually, I wish that lower levels were even harder in GW2 for a level 80. Right now I feel like they've skewed it to the too easy side more than anything.

Yes, there are very easy parts to pve, but not all!

It is posts like this that keep being acted on by the game makers. Every time they see 1 post that says it is too easy they make it harder. Go and solo that champion I was refering to, while doing it record it and post it on youtube to prove that it is easy, until then stop saying that the game is too easy, there are parts of it that are "UNPLAYABLE!!!"

My main point was that once you get to lvl 80 there are parts of pve that should be a lot easier so we can go back and complete the map. It took less than 2 weeks to get my guardian from lvl1 to lvl 80, so imo, pve is a very small part of this game for lastability! Being able to go to (and complete) the parts of the map that nobody else wants to go to because it is too hard, would add to the enjoyment of the game!

Once your at lvl 80 (I have 7 and working on number 8) and have no realistic way to get decent gear except grind pve to get enough gold to buy the decent gear, the game IS (depending on how you look at it), UNPLAYABLE or NOT WORTH PLAYING due to boredom!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Yes, there are very easy parts to pve, but not all!

It is posts like this that keep being acted on by the game makers. Every time they see 1 post that says it is too easy they make it harder. Go and solo that champion I was refering to, while doing it record it and post it on youtube to prove that it is easy, until then stop saying that the game is too easy, there are parts of it that are "UNPLAYABLE!!!"

My main point was that once you get to lvl 80 there are parts of pve that should be a lot easier so we can go back and complete the map. It took less than 2 weeks to get my guardian from lvl1 to lvl 80, so imo, pve is a very small part of this game for lastability! Being able to go to (and complete) the parts of the map that nobody else wants to go to because it is too hard, would add to the enjoyment of the game!

Once your at lvl 80 (I have 7 and working on number 8) and have no realistic way to get decent gear except grind pve to get enough gold to buy the decent gear, the game IS (depending on how you look at it), UNPLAYABLE or NOT WORTH PLAYING due to boredom!

This game has the easiest gear grind of any MMORPG I've ever played. I also don't find it boring, but I prefer PvP. And you have more 80s than I do. It seems you must have gotten at least 7 level 80s worth of enjoyment out of it.

I'm glad parts of it are unplayable for a solo person. I think that's a good thing.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I paid less than 40 euros for GW2 and I'd say it was money well spent. I'm far from being a GW2 fan or something and I skipped every single story dialogue because they were extremely bad but exploring can be quite fun in this game.
  • MetzaMetza Member Posts: 160

It was a great purchase for me, while I am not actively playing it as of right now I did from release until about january-feb and spent the price of 1 box, to be honest I don't think I have ever got so much time and enjoyment out of any other game that I paid that amount for and did not have to spend a penny more after box price.

I do not feel that guild wars (for me anyway) has the longevity of other mmo's that I have played for more than a year at a time, but as said for the price and you can check back during updates and mess around with new content here and there.

Should you buy it? Well can not say yes or no out right because everyone has different tastes but I can tell you I feel I got more than my moneys worth from it.

I'm glad parts of it are unplayable for a solo person. I think that's a good thing.

A good thing that some parts of the game will never be completed, I dont agree, it seems like a waste of resources to make something that will never be used!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by BirdzThaWord
    Hello, I came to you guys for help regarding whether or not I should join you all in GW2 or wait for a better game. I guess I'll give you what I look for in a game and see if you guys think this is the game for me or not. I enjoy fast paced mmo's where the gameplay is very interactive. I've played many mmos and I disliked many of them and the most recent being WoW and Tera. The gameplay that I've enjoyed the concept of was Vindictus which had a very interactive gameplay and had a lot of potential but it wasn't really there. And i guess I should mention that I have in fact played GW2 before on a free weekend and beta in which I played Engineer and it was one of the most boring mmo experiences I've ever had. I come to you guys though wondering if it was just the class that was not meant for me because I see thief gameplay which looks pretty interesting, or if I should wait for a game like Black Desert to come out. Thank you.

Definitly keep an eye out for Black Desert.

Meanwhile I wouldn't judge a game with the experiance of one class. I am also currently in the free weekend trail, and trying different species and classes to see which one fits me most. Of course the first class is often chosen because of interest in that class. But overall with MMO's you might be suprised how much fun a certain class could be you might not have thought of.

Perhaps wait allittle more for a new trail weekend and check different classes?