Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could import ONE AND ONLY ONE class to CU from DAoC....which would it be?

Comments

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    Originally posted by Sornin
    Originally posted by Kyarra
    Theurigist! Spam those pets!

Agreed! It was not my chosen class, though I dabbled in it, and creating an elemental pet army had its charms.

Problem was they weren't really pets at all which is why I disliked the class.  This class was really no different than any other nuker.  You cast a "spell" and it does damage.  A wizard gets a fireball, the theurgist gets a dot that looks like a pet.

If the pets would switch targets I would 100% agree this would be a good class.  

Should let you build up temporary pets that will fight the entire duration and switch when the initial target died...

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Painlezz

No matter what they do, they cannot bring back the same casting mechanics... 100% interrupt on casters is just no fun at all. 

I disagree. I had lots of fun on DAOC casters.

I don't want to import any classes from DAOC to CU though. I played DAOC for almost a decade. Give me new classes to play.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

*Changed*

FRIAR!

Theurgist would be my second choice.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MC_LaggMasterMC_LaggMaster Member Posts: 36
    Old version of the Scout
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    FRIAR!!
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by redcapp
    FRIAR!!

Crap, you're right. I change mine to friar. I loved mine. Was awesome when a stealther came up to you thinking you were a caster, one whack with the staff they went running, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    My favorite class in any MMO I've played is the Reaver. Love the combonation of lifetap procs, lifetap DD, lifetap weapon skills, PBAoE debuffs. You could change your playstyle in combat to either DPS or tank, depending on the situation. Plus the asthetic was cool; I was a pale blue demon (Inconnu) that wielded a whip as well as the life-draining powers of the underworld.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Actually, the class I really liked playing on Classic was the Valkyrie.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Originally posted by DMKano

Rift had a really good idea when it came to the class system - you pick a base archetype (warrior, healer, mage, rogue) but each one had multiple spec possibilites as far as melee/range dps, support, heals, mitigation/evasion tank etc....

And you could swap specs on the fly between fights - very good class system imo (far from perfect) but great baseline.

If I had to pick my favorite class it would be Valewalker, hands down.  I am with DMKano though, after getting used to the ridiculous flexibility of Rift it would be hard as hell to go back to a single spec and role.  I mean, I nuke on my cleric and warrior and I can heal on my rogue.  It is pretty awesome.

Agree.  I played Rift basically for the soul system.  While I don't think CU should allow every class to fill every archetype roll, I would be thrilled if CU had the same flexability in their classes as the soul system.

With that said, back on topic.  I think it'd be a tough choice between a Minstrel and a Bonedancer.

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I really loved my Engineer. Beer Keg that heals everyone around it is pretty much the best ability in any game every created. 

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by naezgul

Just a bystander for the time being.....

short explanation why....

Friar.

I have never in 14+ years of playing MMO's come across a class that is as original and fun as a Quarter Staff wielding melee Friar with tons of dodges and arguably the best frontal attack (post Left-Axe nerf) in an MMO.  The way he twirled and sidestepped incoming blows and performed the figure 8 attack move was a beautiful site to hold.  On top of that is was the best Anti-Stealth class in the game at the time of my departure.  Nothing like camping MG's looking for those Ranged Stealthers.

Sadly if it gets implemented in this game It still wouldnt be enough to force me to play because like a Jedi I feel PvE and PvP form a symbiotic organism and an MMO cant  succeed without a mix of both.  Still hoping Mark sees the wisdom to at least add plenty of PvE elements in the game, the last thing I want to play is Chivalry : Medieval Warfare.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NcrediblebulkNcrediblebulk Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Valewalker. Such a unique take on a lightly armored tank.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

Oh man... 1 class!? How about 1 class per realm?

Alb: Scout (pre-magic arrows)
    Hib: Valewalker
    Mid: Warlock

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Love the Valewalker!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Friar.

I have never in 14+ years of playing MMO's come across a class that is as original and fun as a Quarter Staff wielding melee Friar with tons of dodges and arguably the best frontal attack (post Left-Axe nerf) in an MMO.  The way he twirled and sidestepped incoming blows and performed the figure 8 attack move was a beautiful site to hold.  On top of that is was the best Anti-Stealth class in the game at the time of my departure.  Nothing like camping MG's looking for those Ranged Stealthers.

Sadly if it gets implemented in this game It still wouldnt be enough to force me to play because like a Jedi I feel PvE and PvP form a symbiotic organism and an MMO cant  succeed without a mix of both.  Still hoping Mark sees the wisdom to at least add plenty of PvE elements in the game, the last thing I want to play is Chivalry : Medieval Warfare.

Sounds like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cuihrjLNAo

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

Bright Wizard.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    The minstrel. My favorite class in any MMO. 
  • Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81
    Druid, my favorite healer  class I've ever played in any MMORPG. I had like 3.
  • fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Father_Jack
    Druid, my favorite healer  class I've ever played in any MMORPG. I had like 3.

I loved druid too. Sooo many different ways to spec it. You could go nur/reg for field buffs/shears with heals, nat/reg for pet, roots and better offensive stuff, or go higher in reg for awesome healing or some hybrid. 

Just so many different ways to play made the druid sooo fun.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Animist :D  PvE and PvP master

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by Painlezz

No matter what they do, they cannot bring back the same casting mechanics... 100% interrupt on casters is just no fun at all.  I remember playing Wizard back in the day.  We didn't know better really so it was ok, but imagine trying to play a caster where any damage from any source interrupts your cast every single time?

That said...

Bonedancer if they re-worked it a bit would be awesome!  I love pet classes and being able to build an army of pets differently depending on the situation is a really cool idea.  Could spec healing and summon healing pets that heal you and your party.  Spec range DPS and get archers/caster.  Spec melee dps and get melee pets.  Or mix and match for a good solo build!

Necro and Vamp were probably the most fun to play considering how strong they were solo.  Necro could farm well endlessly and survive difficult encounters.  Vamp could actually MOVE while attacking.  

Which brings me to another request, melee better not be LOCKED do the ground when executing attacks.  I dislike melee classes but requiring them to be standing still to execute an attack makes it even worse!

1) Allow casters to only have a CHANCE of interruption while casting like all modern MMO's employ.

2) Allow melee to use abilities while moving like all modern MMO's allow (and/or like the vamp could).

I want to play something like wizard

I played wizard mostly and casters AND I WANT FULL INTERRUPTION. If you don't like something it doesn't mean it's not good for overall of game. It's not next boring mindless game where you spam spells not being interrupted. You have to think where to stand and what to do in order to fight. What's more with interruption system casters can have bigger DPS than without it and then you feel the power of caster.

I don't want to be able also as a wizard to be able to heal / tank etc. I want it to be DPS class and only this. No more stupid things like RIFT with no recognisition who I am. No easy mode. 

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Cave Shaman, real good for PVE and also fun in PVP. Love support with buffs and HOTs. Was often maintank in DF for one group farming. The Hulk where to hard though.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Blademaster. I love a light tank concept with tools that are not OP. I want to play a class that I know can be competitive if I play my role intelligently, but that has to know what it CAN'T do.

As much as I loved my NS (and SB), and as much as I looooooved my Menty (some of the best RvR tools evAr), the brass tacks light tank dynamic was the most fun I had in daoc.

I think it came from playing and learning every class in the game and then coming back to what I wanted to play. All things considered, I cannot think of a more balanced class than the Blademaster.

Every kill I got made me feel like a badass, because I knew my class was far from OP, but it had the tools that could reward a good player. It is an in-between class that is not one regularly prepared for, which lends a bit of flexibility to their role in RvR. I had to make full use of positional styles and RAs in order to be competitive, but when I did, it was butter.

Sure, in an 8man they would just be aiding the MA, but in less-focused skirmishes I remember having great kill counts and surprising people with my survivability (mostly due to hib reinforced having great resists, admittedly... and Evade III didn't hurt at all, for smaller skirmishes.)

So yeah. Blademaster.
  • MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95
    Sorcerer

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• BluesiBluesi Member Posts: 3

I had fun with almost every class i played and during about 8-9 years i played a lot.

I loved the stealthers, the scout (old version!), my infi, also really liked the hib casters, eld + ench combo.

Friar was one of the coolest "melee" classes ever. Also Shaman was a lot of fun in rvr.

But i found my destiny as a healer (no not the class, the role), therefore i would love to see the cleric again.

But best would be a 1:1 conversion, i think the overall class system of daoc was great, there is nothing to improve, all ideas mentioned here would just make it worse.