Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Objectifying Women at Gaming Events

13»

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by nerovipus32
    A women who cut a mans penis off went on a talk show to talk about it and everyone laughed, now imagine if a man comitted the same acts on a woman. just think about that for a minute.

because you saw it on television it is appropriate, true, or otherwise means it's any less ok for a woman to grab your ass? think for yourself. be respectful. just because the rest of the world is full of assholes doesn't mean you have to be one.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by azmundai

A women who cut a mans penis off went on a talk show to talk about it and everyone laughed, now imagine if a man comitted the same acts on a woman. just think about that for a minute.

because you saw it on television it is appropriate, true, or otherwise means it's any less ok for a woman to grab your ass? think for yourself. be respectful. just because the rest of the world is full of assholes doesn't mean you have to be one.

I'm just saying you wouldn't see the same acts on a woman being laughed at on a talk show. if you can't see were i'm coming from then you're totally lost.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

It's a commonly  practiced on young women in North Africa and parts of the Middle East. It is indeed horrifying.

What do you call circumcision then?

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by Ezhae
    Originally posted by Golelorn

People dress up(sexy, creative, whatever) to get the attention of attractive people. Sometimes the downside is you attract the type of people that you won't be attracted to. There is no solution except suck it up. That's kind of why they are hired, isn't it?

1) Cosplayers aren't hired. Cosplayers do it because they are crafty and like to dress as their favorite characters. 

2) Majority of female characters in games are designed by males, which leads to the fact most of female character outfits are rather skimpy/sexy. There is very few options ofr female cosplayer that aren't "sexy" (usually the ones that have full body armor like Shepard or Samus) 

3) If someone dresses in a sexy way it's still no invatation for others to be rude. You are welcome to appriciate their work and craftsmanship when it comes to costume creation, but comments of sexual nature are not desired. 

This + 1.  I don't think the problem is that they are looked and admired.  It's when it goes past that boundary and becomes something totally on the other end of the spectrum.  Unfortunately, I've seen it too often with some of my friends who dress in a Slave Leia outfit.   

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by azmundai   Originally posted by nerovipus32 A women who cut a mans penis off went on a talk show to talk about it and everyone laughed, now imagine if a man comitted the same acts on a woman. just think about that for a minute.
    I'm just saying you wouldn't see the same acts on a woman being laughed at on a talk show. if you can't see were i'm coming from then you're totally lost.

im totally lost because I don't see why something I saw on television has to inform me of how to act? you win i guess .. i should have know better than to enter this discussion.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The fact of the matter is that wearing skimpy costumes at shows largely full of young "geeks" who don't get laid much is going to get you attention you probably don't want.  Classy people won't make a big deal out of it, but everyone else will.  I agree with those here who express that it's ludicrous to walk around a bunch of boys/men half naked and think you won't get unwanted attention.  Yes, people *should* be able to grow up and handle it, but humans are flawed, and we aren't all raised the same.

This isn't the same as the old "she's asking for it by dressing that way" rape argument.  No one should be touching you lest they want their asses beat or jail time. However, it *is* human nature for men to stare, and some of them can't help but make childish comments, probably because of their own personal SHORTCOMINGS.  In reality though, the only solution to this is for women to not dress half-naked in costumes and go to said events.  You have to be aware of what you are getting yourself into when you make the choice to wear certain things, and nothing anyone says is going to change that.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

It's a commonly  practiced on young women in North Africa and parts of the Middle East. It is indeed horrifying.

Barbaric. 

Originally posted by nerovipus32 A women who cut a mans penis off went on a talk show to talk about it and everyone laughed, now imagine if a man comitted the same acts on a woman. just think about that for a minute.
    im totally lost because I don't see why something I saw on television has to inform me of how to act? you win i guess .. i should have know better than to enter this discussion.

It's not based on tv it was a real act that was laughed at on tv, my point is people wouldn't laugh at female mutilation on tv. do you get me now?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Those cosplayers know exactly what they are doing and they are not dressing provocatively for the love of gaming.

???

I just got this mental image of you slamming your hands down on the desk, standing up and screaming into a courtroom full of horrified people,

"She was askin' for it! They're ALL askin' for it!"

Don't put me in a the courtroom of your imagination.

I'm sorry. My mind ran off in a strange direction there.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I call it removal of the foreskin commonly done to prevent of disease. It's harmless and commonplace. Involuntary full removal of the penis is also horrifying and much more common that most people think.

Disease my god you're brainwashed, you do know your foreskin has nerve endings right?

• papabear151papabear151 Member UncommonPosts: 110

And I guaruntee that she wouldn't be complaining if the attention she were getting was from all of the guys in the last Abercrombie and Fitch magazine or whatever.

They bring this upon themselves, they are adults perfectly capable of researching and finding out that dressing like a slut in public (cosplaying), is going to get you attention. They are also perfectly capable of deciding after being aware of this fact NOT to wear said slutty clothing.

In reality, they are aware of this and they make that decision anyway. I'm not going to feel bad for anyone that brings their behavior upon themselves and I'm not going to change mine because you decide you need to show me your tits everytime you walk by.

God, my buddies 6 year old daughter does this, gets somethings attention or pushes things past the limit and then complains because of her own actions, she's 6... are you telling me this woman hasn't matured past the self-responsibility levels of a 6 year old? Maybe some of these people should seek some counceling.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by papabear151

And I guaruntee that she wouldn't be complaining if the attention she were getting was from all of the guys in the last Abercrombie and Fitch magazine or whatever.

They bring this upon themselves, they are adults perfectly capable of researching and finding out that dressing like a slut in public (cosplaying), is going to get you attention. They are also perfectly capable of deciding after being aware of this fact NOT to wear said slutty clothing.

In reality, they are aware of this and they make that decision anyway. I'm not going to feel bad for anyone that brings their behavior upon themselves and I'm not going to change mine because you decide you need to show me your tits everytime you walk by.

God, my buddies 6 year old daughter does this, gets somethings attention or pushes things past the limit and then complains because of her own actions, she's 6... are you telling me this woman hasn't matured past the self-responsibility levels of a 6 year old? Maybe some of these people should seek some counceling.

In my opinion, it's pointless to complain about it.  It's not going to change.  It is what is is.  There's not going to be a windfall of human enlightenment on this subject anytime soon.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Men seem to control the world yet women seem to control men.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

It's a commonly  practiced procedure on young women in North Africa and parts of the Middle East. It is indeed horrifying.

And it is classed as illegal in any civilized country, yet circumcision is not and some women will even break up with a man if he isn't, double standards for genital mutilation is a standard here as well.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Instead of trying to find someone or something to blame, maybe all of us both men and women should take responsibility for our actions.

You forget that man blaming misandry is politically correct and therefore ok to do.  Basically they are making objectifying certain men as blame objects.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

This discussion has been closed.