Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone here play the closed Makeb Beta?

If you played the closed Makeb Beta, any initial impressions you care to share with others?

(Or anything you would like to add MIke B.?)

Comments

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Darthhater and dulfy have some vids and info from makeb. 
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

This is true. I was curious to impressions from people who don't have websites which are dependant on SWTOR's rise or fall.

(I have to admit Dulfy's speed and thoroughness are pretty amazing. She seems to have an edge on her competition.)

• Originally posted by tiefighter25

This is true. I was curious to impressions from people who don't have websites which are dependant on SWTOR's rise or fall.

(I have to admit Dulfy's speed and thoroughness are pretty amazing. She seems to have an edge on her competition.)

im pretty sure they were keeping the makeb stuff in house and so only people outside of bioware to see it have been press, but i could be wrong.

or maybe thats what they were hiring people in the austin area to test awhile ago

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Duffy's website is not dependent upon SWTOR's rise and fall. It  is a multi MMO site and has more stuff on GW2 for example than SWTOR.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Duffy's website is not dependent upon SWTOR's rise and fall. It  is a multi MMO site and has more stuff on GW2 for example than SWTOR.

True Doogie. She does a good job on both games. I was looking for folk who have no dogs in the race what so ever.

• Melon06Melon06 Member Posts: 4

I played in the Makeb closed beta test.  If there are any questions you would like to ask, feel free.  Overall I had a very enjoyable experience.  I absolutely love story and this one is a cracker and rather funny as well.  There are some great parts that made me chuckle.

However, if your expecting Makeb to change everything, you will be disappointed.  This is SWTOR.  That means story.  I never got a chance to play the new end game Op due to my own life (I have a job and all) and being in the UK.  I couldn't stay up till 2-3am to do one.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Glad to hear it. Looking forward to trying it out. :)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by Melon06

I played in the Makeb closed beta test.  If there are any questions you would like to ask, feel free.  Overall I had a very enjoyable experience.  I absolutely love story and this one is a cracker and rather funny as well.  There are some great parts that made me chuckle.

However, if your expecting Makeb to change everything, you will be disappointed.  This is SWTOR.  That means story.  I never got a chance to play the new end game Op due to my own life (I have a job and all) and being in the UK.  I couldn't stay up till 2-3am to do one.

Did you make it to 55? If so, how long did it take? Did you enjoy the new game mechanics, the jumping puzzles, the binoculars, the seeeker droids?  Or was the story stuff the only thing you liked?

I never made it too 55 unfortunately.  But the experience gain was quite good.  At the start it was well below what was needed and if you wanted to get to 55 you would be forced to do other things to get experience.  But then they raised it and it was much smoother.  But main storyline won't get you too level 55.  Probably around 53-54.  Personally if someone really wanted too I think they could level to 55 in probably under 15 or so hours.  If they just push through it hard.  But again the story and the leveling is there to be enjoyed and along with the new achievement system it is a lot more entertaining.

The heroic quests are much more enjoyable though.  One example of one is where you attack this base and there are mortars firing at you as you fight through mobs.  It ends with you fighting a massive tank.  Really good fun.

For the binoculars are what you expect.  You point at certain objects to complete the quests.  If you don't like jumping or puzzles you may not like this.  Most have a obsticale in the way preventing you from completing.

Seeker droids go hand in hand with the binoculars as it takes you to roughly the same planet.  The best way to describe this is archeology in WoW.  Don't worry its no where near as bad as the HK mission, but it is very similar.  You don't just get items for the quests though.  You can gain rare items that are needed for certain speeders at GSI rep vendors.

At the end of the each of the quest chains are some heroic 4 quests.  These quests are fantastic and really interesting.

However, these are a nice little added flavour but nothing massive.  They can quickly get boring if you just solo concentrate on doing these.  Those mission are made to do when you want a break of pve or pvp.

Overall as I said I'm very happy with this small expansion.  Quests are better, Makeb is beautful and it gives you additional 'fluff' to do while your playing the game, which I feel SWTOR is seriously lacking.  Though make no mistake they could've added so much more.

So if your enjoying the game as it is, you will love Makeb.  If you didn't well... i'd stay away, it is very much more of the same.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Cool, sounds like my up of tea.

So if your enjoying the game as it is, you will love Makeb.  If you didn't well... i'd stay away, it is very much more of the same.

Glad to hear this. /thumbs up

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

cool,  more of the same. According to the 5th reincarnation of the 100 page unsubscriber's thread and the 26,000 threads in the official suggestion box, more of the same is exactly what everyone wanted!

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by FromHell

cool,  more of the same. According to the 5th reincarnation of the 100 page unsubscriber's thread and the 26,000 threads in the official suggestion box, more of the same is exactly what everyone wanted!

If doing things different means sacrificing a great story, then no thanks. 

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Much better to go the SOE route and change the game completely to a style that people like in OTHER games right?  I play SWTOR because I like SWTOR.  Give me more SWTOR!

Since we haven't had new story since launch...yeah. That and SGR were probably two of the most consistent complaints on the official boards.Sorry ,but sitting in chairs and playing house can wait. 

Originally posted by ktanner3

Since we haven't had new story since launch...yeah. That and SGR were probably two of the most consistent complaints on the official boards.Sorry ,but sitting in chairs and playing house can wait. 

See this is it.  SWTOR was meant to be a Story Base MMO.  And it is.  So when people complain about "Oh this could've been more like MMO X and Y."  Well... Bioware were never shooting for that.  They were shooting for 'their' MMO about story.  And to be honest they have let us down I think with adding new story.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

If more of the same is such a turn off for you i can't help but wonder how come you are still playing TSW. Because it is more of the same in every DLC. Such double standards.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'd much rather see Devs focusing on the players they have rather than that "possibility of others", people playing TOR now play it for what it offers, not what it lacks, so yes more of the same is their best route.

I'll add what's a story based MMO without a continuation of that story? IMO not much at all, so this is needed.

Although I'd much rather see this type of thing as an update rather than a purchase for subscribers. Five extra levels of story content isn't all that much, with rep grinds and a few heroics it doesn't up the ante all that much from what's already there.

The game also needs more incentive to keep playing without reaching for the wallet, I say this as a current sub, I'm already paying two subs to get my MMO fullfilment, AOC for general gameplay and some PVP, TOR with my wife questing. While it's only ten bucks, I might as well just unsub and pay the 20 (two expacs) for it and forget next months sub, 40$ vs 50$ (two subs two expacs). They seem to be slowly biting off their feet with this pricing scheme.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I'd much rather see Devs focusing on the players they have rather than that "possibility of others", people playing TOR now play it for what it offers, not what it lacks, so yes more of the same is their best route.

I'll add what's a story based MMO without a continuation of that story? IMO not much at all, so this is needed.

Although I'd much rather see this type of thing as an update rather than a purchase for subscribers. Five extra levels of story content isn't all that much, with rep grinds and a few heroics it doesn't up the ante all that much from what's already there.

The game also needs more incentive to keep playing without reaching for the wallet, I say this as a current sub, I'm already paying two subs to get my MMO fullfilment, AOC for general gameplay and some PVP, TOR with my wife questing. While it's only ten bucks, I might as well just unsub and pay the 20 (two expacs) for it and forget next months sub, 40$ vs 50$ (two subs two expacs). They seem to be slowly biting off their feet with this pricing scheme.

I still don't understand why they don't give this update to subbers for free. Makes no sense to me especially cosnidering before the need to go f2p from everything I have seen it was initally planned as added free updates. Gives extra incentive for more people to stay subbed or to sub. Not to mention just as a goodwill gesture for those that are subbed.

They continue to make business decisions that make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.