Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So much for balance

13»

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    That guy sounded exactly like Richmond from IT Crowd.

You make me like charity

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by itgrowls

It's patch day and I spent all day trying to discover just what they fixed over there. Nothing apparently, which is pretty much par for the course at this point for engineers. So in lieu of today's patch notes, please enjoy this video showing the short history up to today of how Arenanet has handled balance in their title since launch. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

So let's get this straight :

1) You don't like the engineer

2)You don't like the Trading Post

3)You don't like crafting

4) You don't like the games economy

5)You don't like the loot for DE's map completions or worlds bosses

6)You don't like the personal story

7)You don't like ascended gear

8)You don't like wvwvw

9)You don't like dungeons

10)You don't like Anet's management

Perhaps mmo's aren't your calling ?

I don't like what they did to the engineer post launch.

I don't like their economist that apparently can't do math. (0 drops divided into 0 carry the 0 still = 0) I played and still play lots of mmo's and never have I ever been in one where there was this much P***poor management in one company.

I loved crafting still made food up until I left, but it's obsolete now, just throw everything into the mystic toilet, which begs the question, uhm why did I max this out again?

This was a double so I won't answer it again.

The loot was broken and it took them 4 months to see it and 5 months to fix it all the while telling us it was our imagination and we were crazy, no apology or anything just swept it under the rug.

Personal story was fine until the end where it lost it's climactic nature, kinda meh.

ascended gear was a complete 180 from their original manifesto which attracted people like me to this game who are tired of gear grind dungeon focused game, this started in Nov when they adopted the We-don't-care-about-our-players new manifesto. *oh you know that stuff we told you for 7 years prior to launch, yeah scratch that now after you already bought it"

Was never a pvper and no one should ever force pvp on players, if it's going to be a pvp game and you're going to force players to go pvp, let us know before you launch. They didn't World Exploration forces players into pvp where until they fix it whole armies of other players would be invisible while you were being killed.

Was never a dungeoneer, tolerated it in WoW because it was literally the only thing to do accept fish.

I liked Anet's management just fine until three things happened. 

1: they called us all crazy when we spent months telling them about the lack of drops and disappearing chests (result of DR and their kill credit system both, they only admited to the credit system problem)

2: they went 180 on 7 years of philosophy after they got your money.

3: they gave us lip service about how much they care about balance and have ignored the one class that needed it the most since launch (some bugs btw are still there from BWE2.)

So yeah I am miffed and rightly so.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by botrytis

People want to pwn, not have to work for a kill. It is that simple.

Don't like the game - don't play it. But people would rather whine than move on - victim mentality at it's finest.

Oh no you misunderstand, I'm just doing my civic duty of alerting those who don't post here but come here for some reading on what games have to offer, just warning people about a bad product. I don't play anymore.

Yeah, lots of people come here looking to make game decisions from random disgruntled posters.  How credible do you think a former whiteknight is when they turn coat and do a backstab because a patch didn't go their way.

It's not that you don't make some good points, but that your ongoing negative agenda since the gear patch has pretty much shot all credibility you have.  Now you're just preaching to those who already don't like the game and have nothing nice to say about it.  Your concern carries less weight as a result.  In other words why would I care about your opinions and rants when they're always colored by negativity, especially since you previously were so quick to dismiss concerns from others?

+1

The OP has already been showed videos that show how engineers are NOT weak (but hey, it's PvP so it doesn't count, completely side-stepping the fact that few skills currently have separate balance for PvP and PvE). While the video in the OP is mildly funny, it obviously blows things way out of proportion.

I used to think engineers sucked as well, and were nerfed into the ground, and then i noticed something. Engineers are insanely tough to kill, and their damage is not nearly as bad as i originally thought. They're the best class at tagging mobs (max distance spammable AoE!), they can have permanent swiftness, and some of the best healing in the game as well (when specced for it). They're also the only class in the game (afaik) that has access to literally every condition without needing sigils or runes. They can literally do everything.

This is what makes balancing engies so tricky. It's insanely easy to OP an engi, since they can literally do everything. And since I've learned how to properly play one, I've started realizing why some of these nerfs needed to happen. Heck, Teldo (the guy in one of the sPvP vids) has recordings of his playtime as an engineer just saying 'man, this is gunna get nerfed, there's no way this won't get nerfed' over and over. A well played engineer atm can literally blow people up (talking about in the blink of an eye). They can literally troll large groups by being nearly impossible to kill, yet still a neussance. They can also be problematic to siege equipment with their mass AoE.

Not going to argue that Thieves aren't OP (though for very different reasons than implied in the video), but the main problem with engineers has been a bug that didn't properly apply stats from your main weapon set to your kits. That's now been fixed.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

(This is mostly to the OP)

This is so ironic. Prior to launch, I was very skeptical of the GW2 Manifesto. And I recall heated exchanges between people like me and people like Itgrowles. I would question everything from cash shop to incentives for contiuned long term game play. And was quickly countered.  Anyway, launch comes around and I played the game. I quickly felt that my initial suspiscions were correct. I felt the Manifesto was nothing but a media hype blitz with little truth to it, so I quit the game.

While I will still hold many of my initial impressions about the manifesto, and while I continue to maintain that it was way over the top and is a major factor in the massive backlash that ANET recieved after launch. I must admit that I was also somewhat tainted in my 1st impressions of the game. That combined with the perspective of prior MMO experience. I now admit I still didn't take GW2 on its own merit. Regardless of what the Manifesto said the game would be, regardless of what my previos MMO experience said the game should be, I didn't shelve those and take in GW2 for what it did have to offer.

After the holidays, I quit Rift. I am not opposed to paying a Sub if there is value in it, but currently, I don't feel there are any titles worthy of one. So I tried Minecraft for a bit. (That's a different topic though) However, I still missed the MMO. So my only option left was to fire up old GW2 and give it a go since I already had an active account. Here's where I get to my point. I had already accepted that GW2 did not meet my expectations. I had none left for the game to meet. Therefore, I was able to evaluate the game without it needing to live up to any. Here is where I begane to discover that it has many great things to offer that I didn't initially see. Mostly because I didn't allow myself to.

Thing is, most of what you say, I agree with. But I can also see that there is little I can do about it. GW2 is what GW2 is. You have no choice beyond take it or leave it. It's one thing to express your opinions to ANET to let them know your disatisfaction. But there comes a point where you either accept it or move on. No one will question your right to state what you wish here. So long as what you say is factually correct and/or supported. But I think you need to accept the fact that Engineers are broken with no real target date for being fixed. A guy in my guild decided he'd had enough. What could he do? Well, he rolled a Warrior. That sucks after all he'd invested in the Engineer. But what else was there? Take a look at your options and either work within them or walk away.

It's so odd, because I am now having a blast in the game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Cromica
    lol they banned me from the forums for saying that this patch still gives me no reason to log in, the mods over there must be descendants of the stasi.

And so you should be banned for a statement like that.

Seriously... it's like some people never learned the difference between constructive criticism and whining.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    lol they banned me from the forums for saying that this patch still gives me no reason to log in, the mods over there must be descendants of the stasi.

They already got your money. They don't have to care about you.

Becouse B2P is the best model, right? Right?

B2P is a good model yes from financial point of view however i am not so sure when it comes to support from the gaming companies.

Clearly Arenanet never add patches or content, Arenanet designers never go into forums and talk with people,..

That was not the kind of support i was talking about.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko

They already got your money. They don't have to care about you.

Becouse B2P is the best model, right? Right?

B2P is a good model yes from financial point of view however i am not so sure when it comes to support from the gaming companies.

Clearly Arenanet never add patches or content, Arenanet designers never go into forums and talk with people,..

That was not the kind of support i was talking about.

No, because some P2P don't even do that.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    This thread is over-exaggeration at it's best.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This is so ironic. Prior to launch, I was very skeptical of the GW2 Manifesto. And I recall heated exchanges between people like me and people like Itgrowles. I would question everything from cash shop to incentives for contiuned long term game play. And was quickly countered.  Anyway, launch comes around and I played the game. I quickly felt that my initial suspiscions were correct. I felt the Manifesto was nothing but a media hype blitz with little truth to it, so I quit the game.

While I will still hold many of my initial impressions about the manifesto, and while I continue to maintain that it was way over the top and is a major factor in the massive backlash that ANET recieved after launch. I must admit that I was also somewhat tainted in my 1st impressions of the game. That combined with the perspective of prior MMO experience. I now admit I still didn't take GW2 on its own merit. Regardless of what the Manifesto said the game would be, regardless of what my previos MMO experience said the game should be, I didn't shelve those and take in GW2 for what it did have to offer.

After the holidays, I quit Rift. I am not opposed to paying a Sub if there is value in it, but currently, I don't feel there are any titles worthy of one. So I tried Minecraft for a bit. (That's a different topic though) However, I still missed the MMO. So my only option left was to fire up old GW2 and give it a go since I already had an active account. Here's where I get to my point. I had already accepted that GW2 did not meet my expectations. I had none left for the game to meet. Therefore, I was able to evaluate the game without it needing to live up to any. Here is where I begane to discover that it has many great things to offer that I didn't initially see. Mostly because I didn't allow myself to.

Thing is, most of what you say, I agree with. But I can also see that there is little I can do about it. GW2 is what GW2 is. You have no choice beyond take it or leave it. It's one thing to express your opinions to ANET to let them know your disatisfaction. But there comes a point where you either accept it or move on. No one will question your right to state what you wish here. So long as what you say is factually correct and/or supported. But I think you need to accept the fact that Engineers are broken with no real target date for being fixed. A guy in my guild decided he'd had enough. What could he do? Well, he rolled a Warrior. That sucks after all he'd invested in the Engineer. But what else was there? Take a look at your options and either work within them or walk away.

What I want to know is, what is broken about the Engi exactly? Turrets? Yea, they already know that, builds? Dude, they have buildzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, if someone tells you otherwise, they are kidding themselves, is it the flamethrower? It's better in a condition based build. The fact is, Engi is in a better place than many of the other classes.

People say Eles are OP but the truth is they are STUCK (and I don't say STUCK lightly), they are stuck using the same trait dispersion for pretty much EVERY build. 0/10/0/30/30, for pretty much EVERY ele, that IS IT. For the Engi, you've got P/P HGH condi build, Dodgemaster/Evasioneer, TankCat, Grenadier, Static Discharge, Flamethrower/Elixir Gun Condi build, and some unknowns like the fist full of mines and Bobomber.

I don't listen to people who complain about the Engi when there are classes in crappier conditions.

This is not a game.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

People want to pwn, not have to work for a kill. It is that simple.

Don't like the game - don't play it. But people would rather whine than move on - victim mentality at it's finest.

Oh no you misunderstand, I'm just doing my civic duty of alerting those who don't post here but come here for some reading on what games have to offer, just warning people about a bad product. I don't play anymore.

Yeah, lots of people come here looking to make game decisions from random disgruntled posters.  How credible do you think a former whiteknight is when they turn coat and do a backstab because a patch didn't go their way.

It's not that you don't make some good points, but that your ongoing negative agenda since the gear patch has pretty much shot all credibility you have.  Now you're just preaching to those who already don't like the game and have nothing nice to say about it.  Your concern carries less weight as a result.  In other words why would I care about your opinions and rants when they're always colored by negativity, especially since you previously were so quick to dismiss concerns from others?

I wish I had your tact.  You say what I want to say, but in such a more courteous way.  However I don't feel bad for calling it like I see it. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Zeroxin

What I want to know is, what is broken about the Engi exactly? Turrets? Yea, they already know that, builds? Dude, they have buildzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, if someone tells you otherwise, they are kidding themselves, is it the flamethrower? It's better in a condition based build. The fact is, Engi is in a better place than many of the other classes.

People say Eles are OP but the truth is they are STUCK (and I don't say STUCK lightly), they are stuck using the same trait dispersion for pretty much EVERY build. 0/10/0/30/30, for pretty much EVERY ele, that IS IT. For the Engi, you've got P/P HGH condi build, Dodgemaster/Evasioneer, TankCat, Grenadier, Static Discharge, Flamethrower/Elixir Gun Condi build, and some unknowns like the fist full of mines and Bobomber.

I don't listen to people who complain about the Engi when there are classes in crappier conditions.

I'll take your word for it. I don't play one, I can only spit back what I am told by those who do. But so far, in game, no one I know who plays one is making the same statements you've made.

When you tell me that Engis are not as bad as people are crying about, I can believe that. Sure, people love to exaggerate. Especially when it invloves "Misery Loves Company" but a lot of people all saying similar things and not just hyperbole but actually backing it up. (I didn't exactly take notes so I've forgotten most of it by now) One example would be Rifle turrets prioritizing ambients simply because one is closer than the mob beating on the Engineer. Since I have seen similar behavior to a lesser extent with my own clones, I believe them.

I'm currently going with a 25/25/0/20/0 ele using mainly lightning hammer and fiery greatsword - pretty decent for PvE and WvW.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

I'm currently going with a 25/25/0/20/0 ele using mainly lightning hammer and fiery greatsword - pretty decent for PvE and WvW.

I know there are people who play differently BUT, the fact is 0/10/0/30/30, remains the definitive build that most eles use. If you want to survive 1v1 or 1v3, that's the spec you would use.

Just ask any Ele who has played the game long enough what the BEST ele build is and he'll give you that one.

This is not a game.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's notice this, especially the part I highlighted in red.

I've stated that so many times as well.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

I'll take your word for it. I don't play one, I can only spit back what I am told by those who do. But so far, in game, no one I know who plays one is making the same statements you've made.

When you tell me that Engis are not as bad as people are crying about, I can believe that. Sure, people love to exaggerate. Especially when it invloves "Misery Loves Company" but a lot of people all saying similar things and not just hyperbole but actually backing it up. (I didn't exactly take notes so I've forgotten most of it by now) One example would be Rifle turrets prioritizing ambients simply because one is closer than the mob beating on the Engineer. Since I have seen similar behavior to a lesser extent with my own clones, I believe them.

Yea, I even complained about that on their forums as well but they are working on it so I don't feel the need to keep spilling my guts about it.

I've learnt to deal with the turret thing by simply using a turret that doesn't matter who it prioritizes, it's going to hit everyone. And when I'm not using that turret, I make sure i'm right next to the person that I want targetted before I place my turret. Yes, it is stressful but it's currently the only way you'll get it to work.

This is not a game.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

It's patch day and I spent all day trying to discover just what they fixed over there. Nothing apparently, which is pretty much par for the course at this point for engineers. So in lieu of today's patch notes, please enjoy this video showing the short history up to today of how Arenanet has handled balance in their title since launch. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Rofl awesome video! ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!

I know there are people who play differently BUT, the fact is 0/10/0/30/30, remains the definitive build that most eles use. If you want to survive 1v1 or 1v3, that's the spec you would use.

Just ask any Ele who has played the game long enough what the BEST ele build is and he'll give you that one.

If you are talking about sPvP, yes, cantrips and attunement swapping are a must.

But balance is different from build diversity.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

in sPvP i play engi and its one of the good classes ...

they might not be perfect but they work in the right way, prefer small changes than major qith not knowing what will happen ...

also i prefer the fact they work the balance for PvP and NOT PvE..