Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm really starting to like CHINA

PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

I have always been a fan of designer babies and  it seems China is taking it to a whole new level.

At BGI Shenzhen, scientists have collected DNA samples from 2,000 of the world’s smartest people and are sequencing their entire genomes in an attempt to identify the alleles which determine human intelligence. Apparently they’re not far from finding them, and when they do, embryo screening will allow parents to pick their brightest zygote and potentially bump up every generation's intelligence by five to 15 IQ points. Within a couple of generations, competing with the Chinese on an intellectual level will be like challenging Lena Dunham to a getting-naked-on-TV contest.

Geoffrey Miller, an evolutionary psychologist and lecturer at NYU, is one of the 2,000 braniacs who contributed their DNA. I spoke to him about what this creepy-ass program might mean for the future of Chinese kids.

Read please:  http://www.vice.com/read/chinas-taking-over-the-world-with-a-massive-genetic-engineering-program

Europe and America needs to wake the hell up.

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Autism. It's not a real disease but a range of symptoms from over folding of the outer brain. The folding of the outer brain having a pretty strong correlation with intelligence.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

There's certainly some very good reasons to be wary of eugenics. But in the meanwhile, we in the west plunge onward with an unofficial policy of dysgenics. And leave the future of our civilization in the hands of its most prolific breeders. The chronically poor and stupid. That is kind of frightening too.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think scientists put too much emphasis about things being decided since birth.  Its like they forget how they gained knowledge.  The difference between Einstien and a human vegetable genetically is not very big.
  • spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

This is just a different form of Eugenics.

We should wake up to stop such ideas, already the gen manipulation of plants and animals was a big step and nobody knows any long term effects. The industry and the capital is of course looking for human ressources.