Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*sigh*

StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200

I can't help but feel like this game is being made by has-beens with out dated ideas being branded as "innovations".

Tracy Hickman and Marg Weis were favorite fantasy authors when I was a kid (I mean c'mon, Raistlin is basically the mage version of a teenage power fantasy character.) and I have a lot of respect fro them as writers, but their best work was in the 90s and has suffered since, imo. 

The same goes for Richard Garriott - he was a pioneer, all credit to him and UO for being an AMAZING game for it's time despite the fact that I don't like him as a person - but I feel like this game is drudging up OLD game concepts for the sake of nostalgia and not for the sake that they were good.

Obviously these are just initial opinions after first hearing/reading about this game, I have no idea wether this game is going to bomb horribly or be a major success.

Bring on the angry responses.

Comments

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    Some people want to relive their childhood. The old concepts are more exciting than newer ones because the newer ones are becoming overused, while the older ones have been forgoten. As for myself, I would love to play vanilla WoW all over again, because 40 man raids used to be epic back in the day.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Well there is old game school and then there is old game feel.  Example is this guys game he is making by himself that takes inspiration from zelda http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sOi04BRQI1k

Its stunning what one person can do.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Seems to be the opposite to me - he wants to get that old feeling back, indeed, but all this while avoiding all the mistakes that were made back then 10, 20 or even 30 years ago.

Give me a break, it's not even a MMO. image

• ND3GND3G Member Posts: 8

I think Ultima Online was revolutionary when it was released. A year later SOE released Everquest which was also revolutionary but ever since then almost every MMO on the market has been rehashing the Everquest level grinding model over and over and over and frankly I am sick to death with it.

Shroud of the Avatar is an MMO, and it is a single player game too. From what I have seen and heard of the game, it is the only MMO game I can think of that isn't using the same dated ideas as everyone else.

I haven't looked forward to a game this much in years.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I think its going to bomb and Ive been gaming for 20 years .

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by ND3G
    I think Ultima Online was revolutionary when it was released. A year later SOE released Everquest which was also revolutionary but ever since then almost every MMO on the market has been rehashing the Everquest level grinding model over and over and over and frankly I am sick to death with it.Shroud of the Avatar is an MMO, and it is a single player game too. From what I have seen and heard of the game, it is the only MMO game I can think of that isn't using the same dated ideas as everyone else.I haven't looked forward to a game this much in years. 

Agreed!

• mburressmburress Member Posts: 5

I decided not to back it because as someone who wants to play a crafter the 750$ knight house is pretty much the minimum requirement since citizen houses wont have an expert crafting station and public crafting hall requires long runs to use and limited by pack space.

Also I was concerned about how the game would change once the 2.0 mill stretch goal was reached.  In every other game that has this mechanic, single player content suffers and high level crafting might require forced guilding to succeed.

Yuba Dragon

-=(UDIC)=-

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    The game play that RG shows looks sooooo bloody boring. I cannot see myself getting involved in this project. RG has proven to be a top notch developer and an adventurous soul, but (and the most important thing is always said after the 'but') his boat has sailed imo, and I don't see this becoming anything big or new, just another subpar, somewhat pretty crawler.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Shroud of the Avatar is an MMO, and it is a single player game too. From what I have seen and heard of the game, it is the only fantasy MMO game I can think of that isn't using the same dated ideas as everyone else.

Fixed that for you.

EvE is way ahead of what they are trying to do here.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I'll definitely get this game as it incorporates much of what I remember from Ultima Online and the ideas that seem to have been lost with the insurgence of people who started playing MMOs with World of Warcraft and the like.  

The new age me is wondering if I like the fact that some important crafting areas will have PvP in it.  The me from 13 years ago wants to show me this video in response to that:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QdvLwfuJ60

Most won't give it a chance because of it's graphics, but this will likely be old school incarnite in many different ways.  Is there a place for that in the market?  I think so, but only time will tell.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

I think the graphics you have seen is placeholder stuff not the finished style at all.

To all those with misgivings about Shroud of the Avatar, I hope that you are pleasently surprised. Portalarium just completed their Kickstarter about an hour ago with over $2 million raised and I look forward to watching the game develop over the next year and a half.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'd much rather have an old school game like UO than today's quest grinding with exclamations and question marks over npc's heads. Bring me an updated UO/AC/DAOC and I'm in.

The only reason I didn't donate for Shrouds of the Avatar was it's not an mmo. I'm glad it funded though for those that wanted it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

I always have a bit of a chuckle when I hear people refer to Shroud of the Avatar`s kickstarter rewards as ``pay to win``. Houses are in no way limited to the KS backers exclusively. The only difference (aside from the purely cosmetic) between the KS houses and the non-KS houses is that the KS houses will not require any in game upkeep fees.

Portalarium hasn`t finalized what the in game housing fees will be for non-KS houses but they stated that paying them will not be an issue for even a modestly active player. Their only real purpose is to help ensure the world is not littered with abandened houses owned by inactive players.

The option to buy a pre-leveled character in Ultima Online as EA currently allows is "pay to win", what Portalarium offered their early supporters hardly qualifies.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

What do you mean OP?

Original Ultima Online (without Trammel) is pretty much the best MMORPG in the market right now. The only reason it isn't popular is due to carebare idiots who prefer lame WoW-type of games and outdated graphics.

All Richard needs to do is recreate UO with fresh graphics and the best MMORPG will be reborn.

But I think he will chicken out and introduce item based game with safe zones and limited PVP, thus destroying the potential.

Keep on rockin'!image

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Komandor

What do you mean OP?

Original Ultima Online (without Trammel) is pretty much the best MMORPG in the market right now. The only reason it isn't popular is due to carebare idiots who prefer lame WoW-type of games and outdated graphics.

All Richard needs to do is recreate UO with fresh graphics and the best MMORPG will be reborn.

But I think he will chicken out and introduce item based game with safe zones and limited PVP, thus destroying the potential.

And PvP is teaming with so much potential.  People play these games for personal reasons and PvP is usually the least likely candidate to inspire adventurous potential.  PvP is such a niche market audience that it has no possible future growth. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by mburress

I decided not to back it because as someone who wants to play a crafter the 750$ knight house is pretty much the minimum requirement since citizen houses wont have an expert crafting station and public crafting hall requires long runs to use and limited by pack space.

Also I was concerned about how the game would change once the 2.0 mill stretch goal was reached.  In every other game that has this mechanic, single player content suffers and high level crafting might require forced guilding to succeed.

Yuba Dragon

-=(UDIC)=-

What do you mean $750? You will have to pay real life money for castles? That is lame. That is pay to win. That is - game failed.

Keep on rockin'!image

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

What do you mean OP?

You're in denial. I played UO recently just to try it out and I have to say most people may remember it as being innovative and fun but it's the grindiest boring game I've ever played. Most of the time spent playing the game is spent spamming skills over and over to level them. Absolutely boring gameplay in my opinion.

Smile

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    To all those with misgivings about Shroud of the Avatar, I hope that you are pleasently surprised. Portalarium just completed their Kickstarter about an hour ago with over $2 million raised and I look forward to watching the game develop over the next year and a half.

Do you realize how little $2 million is in development? That would barely cover a good marketing campaign.

This is looking more and more like a turd with a very thin veneer of gold paint to me, and very much a kickstarter I was happy to avoid.

If I am wrong, and this game actually comes out (which I am skeptical it will) and it doesn't suck, then I will gladly eat crow, but it just looks like a scam to me.

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Naral

Do you realize how little $2 million is in development? That would barely cover a good marketing campaign.

This is looking more and more like a turd with a very thin veneer of gold paint to me, and very much a kickstarter I was happy to avoid.

If I am wrong, and this game actually comes out (which I am skeptical it will) and it doesn't suck, then I will gladly eat crow, but it just looks like a scam to me.

Why does it look like a scam to you?

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by InsaneMembrane

Well it is a hunch more than fact. People are paying a LOT of money, up front, for a product that is either in a game, or available in a game for a lot less money. This huge chunk of money is being sworn to give you an advantage in the game, but at the same time, the amount of money being asked form seems hardly enough to do a good job in developing the game. 

The fact that it does not seem like RG is asking for enough to do the job, makes it feel like a touch of fraud to me. Plus, just the things others have said. 

But then I have grown pretty distrustful of crowdsourcing on the whole anyway. Loads of promises get swept aside and there always seem to be HUGE delays when the products are delivered. Guess I am just jaded.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ND3G To all those with misgivings about Shroud of the Avatar, I hope that you are pleasently surprised. Portalarium just completed their Kickstarter about an hour ago with over $2 million raised and I look forward to watching the game develop over the next year and a half.

It's enough to build a foundation, and a tech demo to secure more funding. However, they're using the Unity Engine, which might allow them to cut a lot of the usual costs for development. There was an article somewhere about how getting assets for a Unity game is much easier than for custom engines or other commercial engines. It also looks like they are cutting some corners with the 'open world' thing, which could save them a lot of money.

Something else to keep in mind is that Garriott guy has dumped a bunch of his own money into the game. A million or two million dollars isn't the development budget, it's the amount of money that's telling him whether or not SotA is worth his time to make.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by mburress I decided not to back it because as someone who wants to play a crafter the 750$ knight house is pretty much the minimum requirement since citizen houses wont have an expert crafting station and public crafting hall requires long runs to use and limited by pack space. Also I was concerned about how the game would change once the 2.0 mill stretch goal was reached.  In every other game that has this mechanic, single player content suffers and high level crafting might require forced guilding to succeed.   Yuba Dragon -=(UDIC)=-
    What do you mean $750? You will have to pay real life money for castles? That is lame. That is pay to win. That is - game failed.

Why would people think virtual real estate would work any different from real estate in the real world? It's the single most valuable asset in nearly any virtual world game or system. Of course they are going to try and sell it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by InsaneMembrane

Well it is a hunch more than fact. People are paying a LOT of money, up front, for a product that is either in a game, or available in a game for a lot less money. This huge chunk of money is being sworn to give you an advantage in the game, but at the same time, the amount of money being asked form seems hardly enough to do a good job in developing the game. 

The fact that it does not seem like RG is asking for enough to do the job, makes it feel like a touch of fraud to me. Plus, just the things others have said. 

But then I have grown pretty distrustful of crowdsourcing on the whole anyway. Loads of promises get swept aside and there always seem to be HUGE delays when the products are delivered. Guess I am just jaded.

Yeah I see a lack of facts out there on this site about this game, it is unfortunate.

I've listened to all of the videos and chats and bla bla bla, I haven't actually even discovered a reason to buy a freakin house. I have one because I donated to get in on the Dev+ stuff they are going to be cranking up soon and because I know Richard Garriott is going to make a great game.

The house is a wank feature, it isn't that important, everything you get in a house another player will have access to publicly in any case. Seriously the only thing I think that the KS guys are given an exit to is your plot tax, and wow big deal. It will be comparable to many other MMOs out there I'd bet, you could earn your weekly tax with one hour of play, I really don't see the huge problem with housing in SotA.

When and if they start screwing us on promises I'll be right there with a pitchfork next to you, promise, I'll have a picture of that for my blog too. Until they start doing that however, I'm not going to expect it because I'm not a jaded twat.