Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is one of the reasons why I love this game. The BEST movement ever in an MMORPG

124»

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I really don't care about innovation if I'm having more fun in other games.  Hopefully if these new features are as good as you say, other studios will incorporate them in the future.

I hope they do to Eir_S. I would love for a Western developer to clone AoW in a fantasy setting. Until then AoW is the most feature rich mmorpg (with people) on the market. 

It almost pisses me off, how dumb, and uncreative snailgames makes our "AAAs" look.

I'm not big on innovation as a selling point, but since you keep bringing it up:  What exactly is innovative?  How is the combat so dramatically different than anything we've seen before?  I keep hearing about how great both are but no one has really explained in what way.  The OP video doesn't seem to indicate this.

The OP is about movement :p Tor it's been explained many times though. 

1st what's similar. It's a hybrid tab target, aim system similar to GW2, or TSW. There are both types of abilities in equal number. That's were the similarities stop between these 3 games.

What's different. Combat is wholy based on rock paper scissor. Feint > Block > Overt Attack > Feint.  Every engagement is based on this. Range and speed also play a part. 

Where AoW differs from anything we've seen is that it puts the Z axis in play. The mmorpg combat we've been playing are x,y axis only. You move forward, back, and side to side, jump then come down. 

In AoW all the movents you see in OP can and must be used in combat. You can attack from the top and the bottom along with front, back and sides You never lose control of you character when in the air, and you don't have to come down (well for a very long time if you have timimg).

I could go on, but this is the base of things. 

CO, DCUO, Aion, EvE, STO, CoX, Archage, Blade and Soul to name a few... oO. Thats not even going through the rundown of other Kung Fu/Martial Art MMO's out there and there actually are good number of them lol... 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    I really don't care about innovation if I'm having more fun in other games.  Hopefully if these new features are as good as you say, other studios will incorporate them in the future.

I hope they do to Eir_S. I would love for a Western developer to clone AoW in a fantasy setting. Until then AoW is the most feature rich mmorpg (with people) on the market. 

It almost pisses me off, how dumb, and uncreative snailgames makes our "AAAs" look.

I'm not big on innovation as a selling point, but since you keep bringing it up:  What exactly is innovative?  How is the combat so dramatically different than anything we've seen before?  I keep hearing about how great both are but no one has really explained in what way.  The OP video doesn't seem to indicate this.

1st what's similar. It's a hybrid tab target, aim system similar to GW2, or TSW. There are both types of abilities in equal number. That's were the similarities stop between these 3 games.

What's different. Combat is wholy based on rock paper scissor. Feint > Block > Overt Attack > Feint.  Every engagement is based on this. Range and speed also play a part. 

Where AoW differs from anything we've seen is that it puts the Z axis in play. The mmorpg combat we've been playing are x,y axis only. You move forward, back, and side to side, jump then come down. 

In AoW all the movents you see in OP can and must be used in combat. You can attack from the top and the bottom along with front, back and sides You never lose control of you character when in the air, and you don't have to come down (well for a very long time if you have timimg).

CO, DCUO, Aion, EvE, STO, CoX, Archage, Blade and Soul to name a few... oO. Thats not even going through the rundown of other Kung Fu/Martial Art MMO's out there and there actually are good number of them lol... 

You are kidding right? Either kidding, don't understand, or trolling. I think it's not understand, and that's not your fault. If you only knew how silly those 2 sentences are. image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Yeh I mentioned DCUO earlier, even linked with a video that just so happens to have the guy getting attacked while he is in the air by someone else who is in the air.  The op just glossed over it though.  Maybe he has me blocked *shrug* or feels I'm not worthy of a response? lol 

Plus, I'm sure he means the Y axis and not the Z axis.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

You are kidding right? Either kidding, don't understand, or trolling. I think it's not understand, and that's not your fault. If you only knew how silly those 2 sentences are. image

I could be misunderstanding. I thought you had said... 

"Where AoW differs from anything we've seen is that it puts the Z axis in play."

Maybe you could be a bit clearer on what you mean. The type of combat in AoW exist in several other martial arts/kung fu MMOs. Not only that but you can fly and participate in combat while flying in several MMO's as well. I did take it a bit far by including EvE and STO, but besides those two I'm not sure how the listed games aren't relevent. Hell Champions Online allows you to go underground giving you more use of the Z axis than AoW allows. 

I mean, if you are reffering to aerial combat as something we haven't seen before in an MMO then then I'm not sure what to say, its a fairly common feature and exists in one form or another in many eastern games.  It's pretty much a staple in any superhero or villain MMO. Even games like Planet Side 2, Firefall, and Global Agenda have players flying around with jetpacks shooting at each other. The Z axis is used a great deal in a wide variety of MMOs. AoW is far from the first to use it, it's also not the first or only to use it in the way they use it, and it's not even used as much in AoW as it is in many other games. 

I know you aren't new to gaming so maybe you just failed to explain what you meant adequately. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I'l match your picture

and raise you a few definitions

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/y/yaxis.htm

http://3d.about.com/od/Glossary-A/g/Axis.htm

Here is a screen of Autodesk Maya's workspace.  Maya is one of the industry standards for modeling and animating 3D props and characters in games and film.  I was going to use one of my own screenshots since I use Maya everyday, but there are already hundreds of examples on the net.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor