Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Massively article on housing and a few new areas...

AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Haven't seen this posted yet:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/pax-east-2013-a-first-look-at-wildstars-high-low-and-housing/

They seem to have really thought housing through as they're trying to make it integral to gameplay and not just a side show. Rested XP is based on the quality of your home, there are combat scenarios in housing areas and limited functional modules that allow you to craft, harvest, raid, etc. encourage you to visit other players' homes to have access to them all. I'm rather optimistic. :)

The low gravity on the Halon Ring sounds interesting as well, allowing you to jump higher but dodge slower.

Comments

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Hell yes. Looks like they have really put some effort into housing.. I can totally see WildStar being a home away from home. The low gravity zone also sounds cool.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

now this looks at least interesting :)

btw lets hope this time "devs are listening'' for real...

• mrbungle419mrbungle419 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Manolios

now this looks at least interesting :)

btw lets hope this time "devs are listening'' for real...

TBH I hope they aren't listening too much.  2 games I beta tested the devs did take some of the worst feedback and use it in game.  These games turned out horrible.  A very obvious situation where this happened was Vanguard.  Obviously the game had many issues and I'm not trying to say any one decision sealed its fate, but when people were begging and pleading in an early beta for PvP server and Sigil went ahead an opened up 2-3 different rule set PvP servers without any real testing on any aspect of PvP, it just made a bunch of dead servers.  The PvP player base tried to convince sigil that the game would flop without any PvP servers at launch, so instead of waiting till even a small amount of testing was finished, they released a broken product to appease a small group of players and it backfired majorly.

I certainly hope that Wildstar doesn't change to fit the growing demand of fast food gamers.  Some of the things I've read from their facebook and such has a lot of fans begging for a F2P game, begging for 10 man raids and a looking for raid queuing feature, among other terrible ideas.  If those things get implementd I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole, no matter how interesting it seems now. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's all instanced housing, so nothing to get excited about.

I for one loved the housing trailer, but sadly all thosed islands in the background are just wallwaper.  I had much hopes for this game when it came to housing.  Everything instanced? no thank you.

The rest of Wildstar isn't even that great; what initially carried it was housing developments in a 3D space .. that's out.

If anyone is impressed with how Wildstar is going, EQ2 or Aion already did it .. along with less successful games like Runes of Maigc.  Instanced too.

ArcheAge has in-game housing, in the real map..... and that is more impressive.  SWG did too, but I'll settle for ArcheAge fantasy, since Star Wars MMO's are defunct for the next 10 years.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Archeage will be a niche. Less than what swtor is now. I don't think it'll transist well here in NA. But, we shall see just how receptive people are to the concept.
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    Archeage will be a niche. Less than what swtor is now. I don't think it'll transist well here in NA. But, we shall see just how receptive people are to the concept.

Trion picked the title up, and they want to release it this yea.  It's already live in Korea.

Trion is working on a translation.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Karteli

I for one loved the housing trailer, but sadly all thosed islands in the background are just wallwaper.  I had much hopes for this game when it came to housing.  Everything instanced? no thank you.

The rest of Wildstar isn't even that great; what initially carried it was housing developments in a 3D space .. that's out.

If anyone is impressed with how Wildstar is going, EQ2 or Aion already did it .. along with less successful games like Runes of Maigc.  Instanced too.

ArcheAge has in-game housing, in the real map..... and that is more impressive.  SWG did too, but I'll settle for ArcheAge fantasy, since Star Wars MMO's are defunct for the next 10 years.

Wildstar's housing is far deeper than what EQ2 or Aion had to offer. Carbine are putting a lot of effort into making housing a social thing as well, which neither of those two really did.

As for the 'rest of wildstar' I'm surprised you've managed to conclude that it isn't that great when we hardly know anything about the majority of the game's systems still.

Originally posted by Alberel

Wildstar's housing is far deeper than what EQ2 or Aion had to offer. Carbine are putting a lot of effort into making housing a social thing as well, which neither of those two really did.

As for the 'rest of wildstar' I'm surprised you've managed to conclude that it isn't that great when we hardly know anything about the majority of the game's systems still.

Well, sir, if Carbine hid Housing from me this long, I expect they are hiding a lot more.

I fail to see what Wildstar housing offers that EQ2 or Aion didnt?  Enlighten me?  Inviting people into your house isn't something new.

• jbgunzjbgunz Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Archeage will not hit it big no eastern geared MMO has ever made a presence here in the Western world. Wildstar is gonna be this years sleeper hit...mark my words..its gonna happen. Who cares what western company picks up archeage, its asian crap and will have a small following.
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by jbgunz

Archeage will not hit it big no eastern geared MMO has ever made a presence here in the Western world. Wildstar is gonna be this years sleeper hit...mark my words..its gonna happen. Who cares what western company picks up archeage, its asian crap and will have a small following.

This.

Regardless of whether trion picked it up or not, it doesn't matter. It will be a niche, and I would be surprised if it lasted more than 2 years. Just like how Rift did so well in Korea...oh wait.

Also, I already knew Triton picked it up. And for you, Mr kartelli, to think your opinion on a game's mechanic and push it out as fact is simply dumbfounding. You simply compare housing to other games, and while fair, your assumption and complete opinionated conclusion about wildstar is unsubstantiated. Your opinion is just that. It is not fact. But keep pushing your opinions on others and discarding everyone else's. It makes you look ridiculous.

P.s: I'm not a wildstar fan. I'm not keen on the artstyle, but at least I don't put my opinion as fact.
    Originally posted by Alberel

Well, sir, if Carbine hid Housing from me this long, I expect they are hiding a lot more.

I fail to see what Wildstar housing offers that EQ2 or Aion didnt?  Enlighten me?  Inviting people into your house isn't something new.

Since when was there 5-man content in your house in EQ2 or Aion?

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

This. Regardless of whether trion picked it up or not, it doesn't matter. It will be a niche, and I would be surprised if it lasted more than 2 years. Just like how Rift did so well in Korea...oh wait. Also, I already knew Triton picked it up. And for you, Mr kartelli, to think your opinion on a game's mechanic and push it out as fact is simply dumbfounding. You simply compare housing to other games, and while fair, your assumption and complete opinionated conclusion about wildstar is unsubstantiated. Your opinion is just that. It is not fact. But keep pushing your opinions on others and discarding everyone else's. It makes you look ridiculous. P.s: I'm not a wildstar fan. I'm not keen on the artstyle, but at least I don't put my opinion as fact.

oh yeah, a new cartoony WoW-lookalike will once again revolutionize the market.

big fat "LOL" to your predictions.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by FromHell

This. Regardless of whether trion picked it up or not, it doesn't matter. It will be a niche, and I would be surprised if it lasted more than 2 years. Just like how Rift did so well in Korea...oh wait. Also, I already knew Triton picked it up. And for you, Mr kartelli, to think your opinion on a game's mechanic and push it out as fact is simply dumbfounding. You simply compare housing to other games, and while fair, your assumption and complete opinionated conclusion about wildstar is unsubstantiated. Your opinion is just that. It is not fact. But keep pushing your opinions on others and discarding everyone else's. It makes you look ridiculous. P.s: I'm not a wildstar fan. I'm not keen on the artstyle, but at least I don't put my opinion as fact.

oh yeah, a new cartoony WoW-lookalike will once again revolutionize the market.

big fat "LOL" to your predictions.

I don't know if you've noticed but a lot of people play(ed) WoW despite disliking its art style. They enjoyed the gameplay and that was all that mattered.

When a new 'big thing' does come around it's graphical similarities to other titles will be largely irrelevant. It will be the core systems of the game and how they work to keep players engaged and having fun that will decide its fate. Dismissing Wildstar just becuse it happens to have a 'cartoony' art style (which FYI WoW was not the first to do) shows ignorance and I would suggest you be a little more open-minded.

Wildstar is probably one of the most system-rich themepark MMOs I've ever seen at launch, and that will count for a lot more than the art style when the general public get their hands on it.