Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    So there is no third faction. You level a Romulan and then have to choose between federation or Klingon. That's just weak.  If they knew anything about the lore of the IP they would know that Klingons and Romulans have been blood enemies for generations. Just because the Romulans lost their homeworld doesn't mean they would become subjugants. This was an EMPIRE, not an isolated planet of aliens. Just a bad move pure and simple. 

I dont think they have said that. I hope not, but we just have to wait and see. 

I believe you have to choose at level 10

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• CyberJCyberJ Member UncommonPosts: 1
    What I want is the D’deridex Warbird Battle Cruisers (Tier 4) Always tought that one was the best looking ship the robulan had.

I just KNOW I should write something smart here...

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Rohn

Warbirds!

A nice dev blog:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=858671

Meh... nothing really enticing for me to roll another character to be honest.  

Originally posted by Valoreah

Warbirds!

A nice dev blog:

I certainly will be.

Looks like they are enhancing the character creator as well, which will be a nice change.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=866911

More details on Romulan ships - with some info on the singularity warp cores.  Really can't wait for this expansion.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869551

Originally posted by Valoreah

Warbirds!

A nice dev blog:

I've kept a character slot open for when they added the romulans, butimage.  Not wanting to do ewverything all over again just for a pretend faction.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I would agree with the poster that noted 3 faction PVP should have been considered. However, right now so little of the population cares about PVP in game that it would be a waste and it’s a project that likely should be considered for a future expansion that attempts to relaunch PVP with new features. I wonder if there really is enough interest to make it a viable season expansion or if PVE is just the way to go for the player base happiness. With the ongoing console, cash shop ship, and lock box ship and item power creep, PVP would be near impossible to really balance for the average user. It could still be much better than now. STO moved decidedly toward the PWI pay to win model you see in their other games for PVP and the cash shop would become the balancing force. It is what it is.

I am not sure the game would have stayed afloat if they hadn’t adopted the business model they did from lock boxes to everything else that came with it. I mean the game is still there when I thought it might be dead by now as much as I dislike what it has done to play in some cases.

I wish the Romulan faction was indeed just that. An actual faction. I kind of look at it as an excuse to sell everyone a really big nifty cool ship pack with special black hole powers. My problem with it is that Star Trek is about buying into an experience rather than a new ride. I am not willing to pay the $125 they want for just that. And man the overabundance of “sexy” female artwork they are using to sell us on stuff really has went down hill.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I am not sure the game would have stayed afloat if they hadn’t adopted the business model they did from lock boxes to everything else that came with it. I mean the game is still there when I thought it might be dead by now as much as I dislike what it has done to play in some cases.

My guess would be probably not (staying afloat I mean), based how the state of the game was before PWE. The switch pretty much saved / kickstarted the game, that's why it's still rolling after these years, and that now even an expansion is on the way.

But - and it may sounds ungrateful - I still don't like the concept of lockboxes :)  I hope maybe they will put the D'Kora in the Store someday...

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

REALLY bummed that Romulans are not their own faction. It seems like a slap in the face that they are not even considered a power in any right instead of "2nd class" citizens.

almost purchased the expansions, until I found out that they are a half attempt at bringing them into the game.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

REALLY bummed that Romulans are not their own faction. It seems like a slap in the face that they are not even considered a power in any right instead of "2nd class" citizens.

almost purchased the expansions, until I found out that they are a half attempt at bringing them into the game.

You were going to purchase a free expansion? image

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Oh, and to be clear if the "sexy" female trek themed artwork were good I might not have such a problem with it. But they are drawing man faced women with overly huge boobs and no legs. It's like they are trying to make us think gorrillas are sexy so Grodd can take over the world.
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Roin

You were going to purchase a free expansion? image

I meant the "pre-order packs"

Starter pack $20

T'Varo Warbird Retrofit, T'Varo Light Warbird, Liberated Borg Reman Bridge Officer, Title: Survivor of Romulus

Legacy pack $125

Tons of more stuff. As far as I can tell these ships do not unlock by simply choosing romulan. as it states "for all romulan repulbic characters on account"

SO YES, if I want to actually play a romulan I have to pay for the expansion. If I simply want a Romulan character I would have just stayed with my "alien done as romulan" character which I could have done on either faction.

SOOOOO

Adding romulans as is isn't really anything other than a name unless you actually pay for "all the expanded content"

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Was trying to give a shot for this game for the forth time today...Got excited about Romulan Warbirds - love these starships.

But it's expensive to get it and game is not worth it imo ( I meant for the ship I wanted I would have to pay $125 - the starter pack's price is ok, but ships suck)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Was trying to give a shot for this game for the forth time today...Got excited about Romulan Warbirds - love these starships.

But it's expensive to get it and game is not worth it imo

That's kind of it and the bottom line isn't it? This game has the image of many things I really want in an MMO. I got a crew, a big ship I can  walk around in, I got space battles, I got ground assaults, I can fly amongst the stars and explore strange new worlds... But it is all so shallowly done as to be worth little or nothing dollar wise. Game has always been my heart breaker. An image of what i wanted.  I swear I wish I could pay a developer to make a game with an original IP and some of these features fully fleshed out with a big galaxy to explore., Don't let me dissuade anyone from giving it a play through though. I've enjoyed playing through it a time or two just be prepared for a crash ending filled with grind and little to make it worth while for more than a month.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Legacy pack $125

Tons of more stuff. As far as I can tell these ships do not unlock by simply choosing romulan. as it states "for all romulan repulbic characters on account"

SO YES, if I want to actually play a romulan I have to pay for the expansion. If I simply want a Romulan character I would have just stayed with my "alien done as romulan" character which I could have done on either faction.

and

But it's expensive to get it and game is not worth it imo ( I meant for the ship I wanted I would have to pay $125 - the starter pack's price is ok, but ships suck)

I hope you don't mind to correct you, but the expansion is free and you don't have to buy neither of the packs. (I think I wrote earlier, that unless someone is really loves Romulans and wants to have more than 2 captains, the packs not worth it)

And while mrrshann618's right that those ships will be Store-only ships, those are just the retrofit versions of the "normal" ships you get during every promotion (leveling). True, retrofitted ones are slightly better, but unless you want heavily competitve endgame play you'll be just fine with the normal ships.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=858671  here are the Warbirds you get free during the leveling process.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869551 here are the retrofitted ones and more details about the differences (retrofitted D'deridex looks awesome :) just kidding).

Edit: "romulan-like aliens" won't have an own storyline, home, officers and ships.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

My guess would be probably not (staying afloat I mean), based how the state of the game was before PWE. The switch pretty much saved / kickstarted the game, that's why it's still rolling after these years, and that now even an expansion is on the way.

But - and it may sounds ungrateful - I still don't like the concept of lockboxes :)  I hope maybe they will put the D'Kora in the Store someday...

I believe this is a half hearted desperate attempt to milk the remaining populatioon ( it is a hard core dedicated ST fanboi pop ) of cash. They've run polls in the past of players and Romulans were usually the tops.  What Cryptic has done is true to form . It's a minimal effort addition not to expand or disrupt the quasi one faction game they have. This was a pure brazen cash grab. This is by no means a sign of prosperity or revival of fortunes for the game, in fact I think it signals the opposite. Minimal effort most of the items where already in game in terms of art and design , even the one Romulan ship looks like the Klingon BoP, Highly imaginative and orignal ! ( /sarcasmoff ). Then they roll you into one of the exsisting factions.This is an obvious farce meant to generate income, that no doubt has fallen appreciably. Fortunately this was the last big card they could really play to generate income and they of course played it cynically and badly. GJ Cryptic, can always count on you to do the wrong thing and poorly executed. It's become their hallmark.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

One hundred and twenty five dollars?!! Are they nuts????

Earth to PWE, no one is lining up to play STO so perhaps price gouging is not the best strategy. It's only going to alienate the few that are left playing. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    I was very sad to hear that you have to pick to side with one of the existing factions instead of getting to be a true third.  I understand how much more work it would have been but having three complete leveling paths would have been the right way to go.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by ktanner3

One hundred and twenty five dollars?!! Are they nuts????

Earth to PWE, no one is lining up to play STO so perhaps price gouging is not the best strategy. It's only going to alienate the few that are left playing. 

Not to come off like a sto fan, but the game is far from dead. I have been playing for 3+ months now and have yet to complain about a empty mmorpg.

I think the ships will be available seperately in the cstore, still not worth that price for me but u can always grind dilithium for a month or 2 for it.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

They should stop use word  ,,FACTION,, ,it is only  new content & playable species for Fed & KDF

STO is two faction mmo,there are no more faction & never to be in future !

They've released a Dev Blog about the Warbird Singularity powers - sounds very cool.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=875021

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

They've released a Dev Blog about the Warbird Singularity powers - sounds very cool.

Yawn , recycled effects from Fed and Klingon game play , renamed , possibly slightly different graphic , but the same effect in game. Typical Craptic stuff. Recycle and redress and call it new. Just a matter of ship type, consoles and crew skills.  

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

I've playtested these on Tribble.  They're "meh" at best.