Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best support class?

Lethal920Lethal920 Member Posts: 112

Me and my brother have just started fresh and plan on leveling through the game together. He plans on playing a brawler, and I'd like to play some sort of a supporting class that will give us a bit of an edge.

While I know playing a straight up healer would be an obvious choice, I'm more interested in a class that might benefit us in other ways (buffs,cc,etc...)

So far I'm looking into a Dirge and an Illusionist.  Any recommendations?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Lethal920

I'm more interested in a class that might benefit us in other ways (buffs,cc,etc...)

cant go wrong w either of those, both are sought out

chanters are often higher in demand than bards at level cap

i would recommend illusionist

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

being a brawler , dirge will help more , dirges BUFF melees like no other class

brawlers wear leather , dirges chain so no fight for loot , same for weapons , brawlers use staffs and fists , dirges 1h weapons

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Healers buff too. Some can even get a mez with AAs(Druids). But if you are dead set against a healer class then I would say dirge also.
  • NekokekiNekokeki Member UncommonPosts: 76

What do you recommend if someone wanted to go the healer route?  Considering trying this game now that it is FTP.  I always play support, but not sure if I'd feel more comfortable being support or healer. 

What do you recommend for a healer?  What is the most sought after?

What do you recommend between both Healer and Support (including dirge etc)? 

Which would be better for a first time player?

Cheers

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I play a Warden. I mostly heal, but I also swing a mean hammer.....

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

healers are very balanced - cant go wrong with any of them

i personally like to play druids

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Best support is the beastmaster, except noboddy seems to know, but they are the best at everything the game throws at them except healing.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Thank you all three of you, I appreciate the feedback! :)
  • AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

Dirges are argueably the best support class, but Illusionists are very useful as well and good ones much more rare in my experience ( Freeport Server these days, might be different on others ).

Personally I picked a Beastlord and that's because I wanted to play a Kerran martial arts character. Used to be a Bruiser at release, but...let's not go there.

Thanks!  That's helpful info too.
  • KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

I don't know about support but I was always the 800lb gorilla of the group as a necromancer in fabled gear.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Lethal920

Me and my brother have just started fresh and plan on leveling through the game together. He plans on playing a brawler, and I'd like to play some sort of a supporting class that will give us a bit of an edge.

While I know playing a straight up healer would be an obvious choice, I'm more interested in a class that might benefit us in other ways (buffs,cc,etc...)

Bards and Enchanters are the two support archtypes.

As far as dungeons go - generally speaking, Dirges are the best bards, and Illusionists are the best enchanters.

Although it depends on the group setup. Mage heavy groups with Shadowknight tanks can get the stoneskin effect from a Conjurer rather than a Dirge, and use a Troubador for higher damage. But Dirges are a safer bet all around. Tanks are usually the ones setting up groups, so they tend to prefer having a Dirge, who offer better melee support and better tank buffs.

Illusionists are pretty much always better than Coercers for groups. They are only really needed for Main Tank groups in raids. But still, a Coercer is better than having no enchanter at all, and will still get groups.