Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft Patch 5.2 brings back "old school" feel.

Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

This was on the PCGamer site.  Not sure if anyone saw it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/12/world-of-warcraft-thunder-king-pandaria/

A snippette from the article:

“Since Cataclysm, we felt like we’d lost our way a little bit,” he says. “We had some really epic quests and we’ve told some great stories, but the second-to-second combat out in the field wasn’t as interesting. So we made an effort with the launch of Pandaria and we redoubled it with this most recent patch to make a lot of cool stuff for players to do out in the world. We still have great dungeons and other instance content, but we also just have fun things to do out in the world with your friends.”

The new questing zone, the Isle of Thunder, recalls the faction-wide events of old—such as the gate-opening ceremony for the Temple of Ahn’Qiraj—by unlocking one time as the Horde or Alliance progresses deeper into the island after establishing a beachhead. It’s ripe for hotspots of open-world PVP—another pined-for memory from classic Warcraft—especially because of the zone’s interesting no-fly restriction.

Street explains it’s all an intentional throwback to the game’s roots. “Somewhere along the way, we’d lost the sense that being outdoors in the world was kind of a dangerous thing,” he says. “Walking around and fighting mobs is basically the heart of World of Warcraft, and we had lost a little bit of that and wanted to make it fun again.”

“It’s great to give ex-players a reason to come back and try it again, and appealing to their nostalgia is a good way of doing that,” he adds.

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

They are giving all players that have quit a free 7 days, so last night I logged in for the first time in 6 months.

I thought " I can't do this anymore " and just logged out, had a great time years ago but nah it's just not got it anymore, maybe for new folk but for old players, nah.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

It translates to me to something like

"So, we are still losing subs and Activision is not happy... Wait! what if we tell all the old school players that left in disgust about what we did to their once beloved game that their old WoW is back? Perhaps someone falls for the PR and returns..."

They killed WoW for many players with pushing nothing but raid/gear/grind centric content down their throats for years and now they try to lure them back and milk them another time.

Watch out for another discount/promotion/free char transfer etc. gimmick on re-sub soon to come along with this.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    That author needs to lay off the crack. Or get paid more I am not sure which.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    That author needs to lay off the crack. Or get paid more I am not sure which.

the Ops quote is from Blizzard not the writer of the article

Blizzard Lead Systems Designer Greg “Ghostcrawler” Street feels (via IGN) the patch is a return to the sense of wonder and danger of Azeroth’s early years.  <blah blah blah>

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    They can't fix in one patch all the design choices they made over several years.
  • GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    They actually banned me for removing the authenticator from my account and not responding to an email about it from customer service (that looked like hacker spam).  I'm pretty much done with all things Blizzard.