Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minimum population...

acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

While reading the PVP uplink analysis, among other things, a scary thought occurred to me. Namely, it seems that a lot of WildStar's systems need a large server population to work, or at least to provide an adequate level of fun.

Take the PvP matching based on rank / gear; a good idea in theory, but not everyone PvPs, especially in MMOs with a large amount of good PvE content. In order for this system to work correctly you need a nice spread of players, at various ranks / gear levels, engaged in PvP. Not to mention new players coming in to fill the lower end as others advance.

Warplots and dynamic raids are other examples. While both awesome systems, and not doubt fun in their own right, again you need a nice spread of players (teams), split between various levels of expertise, in order for these systems to provide maximum goodness.

So I guess my questions are thus: Have the dev's thought of this? What are they planning to do ensure server populations remain high both at launch and after the first month? Are there contingencies in place to prevent a death spiral (low pop = low fun = more people leave = even less fun)?

PS. The main reason I ask is that low population, at least on certain servers, has negatively affected a number of MMOs, in some case drastically, over the last few years; with WAR being one example I experienced first hand.

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Not that what you're asking is bad, but how are folks here suppose to answer these questions?  A bunch of questions directed at the developers, should probably go to the developers.

So little it out on this game atm that any response is just going to be further speculation. Be ready for a bunch of crap answers if people do try and answer them :D

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Originally posted by Eluldor

Not that what you're asking is bad, but how are folks here suppose to answer these questions?  A bunch of questions directed at the developers, should probably go to the developers.

So little it out on this game atm that any response is just going to be further speculation. Be ready for a bunch of crap answers if people do try and answer them :D

I am aware, but I'm hoping either someone from the WildStar team visits these forums or that I've missed some info somewhere.

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Originally posted by acidblood

I am aware, but I'm hoping either someone from the WildStar team visits these forums or that I've missed some info somewhere.

Or, you could ask them yourself during this week's Combat and PvP AMAA over on the WildStar subreddit.

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

Or, you could ask them yourself during this week's Combat and PvP AMAA over on the WildStar subreddit.

Cool thanks. Now I just need to get up at 5 in the morning...

• MytobMytob Member Posts: 79
    I hope there will be a handfull of large servers or maby one large one like eve. Even playing on a relitivly high pop server in WoW is to say the least a bit lonly these days. You dont see many people out in the world these days.