Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boring, Linear, and Simplistic (Don't Bother)

trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

I cannot fathom why people here seem to like this game so much.

For a D&D game this is one of the most Boring, Linear, and unindepth/simplistic out of all the D&D games I have ever played in my life. Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights had more depth, class customization, and uniqueness, and these were single player games that came out over 10 years ago.

Even Dungeons and Dragons Online has more depth than this sorry excuse for a D&D game. Everyone chooses the same class skills, aquires the same traits, and can specialize in small things like a little bit of armor resistance or damage, but not enough to really make a huge inpact on anything. About the only good thing about this game is the Graphics, and Gameplay. This game is one of the most boring games I've ever played. I had more enjoyment in the latest Skyrim DLC and that wasn't even that great.

PS: I don't care if this is beta, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what kind of game this is.

Cheers,

-Trash

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Yeah I hate those games with good graphics and gameplay.... wait what?
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Different taste for different people? Why not let people try it for free and make up their own minds?

I'll go out on a limb here and guess theres somethings you like that great majority of others don't?

Neverwinter isn't the deepest D&D experience I've ever played and many will not like it because of that but then on the other hand I'm guessing that most have only seen alittle of the full game. My highest was lvl 14 of a possible 60 levels. I found the combat fun, and hope that the classes open up more as the game grows. I'm not sure how limited they are by the 4e rule set though. I personally prefer the 3rd edition.

• AddersAdders Member Posts: 28

Yeah, I prefer third edition D&D also, 4th turned it into a computer game style thing..... Order of the Stick's comparison was great.

I watched one of the videos for Neverwinter, and guess what? The main attack for a cleric was ranged, zapping out of a holy symbol...

WTF?

Clerics cast Bull's Strength, Shield of Faith, then wade into melee with their mace swinging.

It's nothing like the 3rd Ed lore I'd be willing to play.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Thanks for your warning? op..but i am having loads of fun and i will be playing this for  al ong time. It is a kick ass game for  free to download and play. Tera on the other hand with its teddy bear popori and sexualised child like races running around completely ruined it for me.

NWN luckily doesn't go that cheap route to attract players.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Adders

Yeah, I prefer third edition D&D also, 4th turned it into a computer game style thing..... Order of the Stick's comparison was great.

I watched one of the videos for Neverwinter, and guess what? The main attack for a cleric was ranged, zapping out of a holy symbol...

WTF?

Clerics cast Bull's Strength, Shield of Faith, then wade into melee with their mace swinging.

It's nothing like the 3rd Ed lore I'd be willing to play.

Yeah I found that this game was more like playing an Arcade Fighting game out of the 80's then a D&D game, let alone a RPG. There is nothing really RPG'ish about this game other then you lvl up.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

I think the thing that really broke the game for me was the shiny fly by wire line on the ground you follow when ever you get a quest.

I shit you not. There is an actual line of shiny glimmer that you follow through all your quests showing you the shortest way to the next step of teh quest. This kinda got to be laugh out funny when I got into a room where the teh path up to a platform was not imidiately clear. Good for me I had a shining line showing me exactly which way I should wald through this mini puzzle.

And dont get me started on the "twitch" battle in this. It just dont work. The ammount of times that I have been hit by monsters doing close combat damage after having run away from them several seconds ago is just silly.

They have dumbed the gamepley in this so much down that I cant take it seriously.

But then again DDO was a mess to on release. GIve it a few years and they might actually put some D&D feel into this one as well.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by trash656

Yeah I found that this game was more like playing an Arcade Fighting game out of the 80's then a D&D game, let alone a RPG. There is nothing really RPG'ish about this game other then you lvl up.

Welcome to 2013.

Issue is on your end.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by hfztt

I think the thing that really broke the game for me was the shiny fly by wire line on the ground you follow when ever you get a quest.

I shit you not. There is an actual line of shiny glimmer that you follow through all your quests showing you the shortest way to the next step of teh quest. This kinda got to be laugh out funny when I got into a room where the teh path up to a platform was not imidiately clear. Good for me I had a shining line showing me exactly which way I should wald through this mini puzzle.

And dont get me started on the "twitch" battle in this. It just dont work. The ammount of times that I have been hit by monsters doing close combat damage after having run away from them several seconds ago is just silly.

They have dumbed the gamepley in this so much down that I cant take it seriously.

But then again DDO was a mess to on release. GIve it a few years and they might actually put some D&D feel into this one as well.

So i guess you never played EQ1 and EQ2? this is something that has existed for more than 10 years. And something which can easily be turned off. Game has problems and things that needed to be looked no doubt but shiny trail leading you to quest objectives is not one of those.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by trash656
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Yeah I hate those games with good graphics and gameplay.... wait what?

[mod edit]

I think this game is way better than Tera with the quest as a whole being some of the most interesting in any mmo.  However, the linear aspect of leveling bothers me to the extant of alt play throughs; that being said this linearity won't be much of an issue if the community takes to the foundry system and can produce some good content.

I've been playing DnD computer/video games since gold box days and there have been a lot of DnD games that resemble the pen and paper version a lot less than this one. This game has an overall Dungeon and Dragons feel to it, regardless of the action combat.

• Monstre0auSMonstre0auS Member Posts: 46

$0.02 time!...

Okay, for this, first I'm going to start with the blue...

You're obviously trolling with that comment, as the game immediately tells you after you begin playing that it can be turned of with a single press of the 'z' button. It literally has a 'Z' on screen next to this text about the size of an average mans thumbnail. So I do not understand your complaint. If you don't like a fly-by-wire glowing trail of breadcrumbs, turn it off... I remember when I played PnP WoD VtM (ACRONYMS! >,< HAXOR) there was a background called Benefactor, which meant the GM could tell you hints whenever he felt you needed one in game... I like to think of a game with glowing breadcrumbs a benefactor, giving you a hint when you really need it, but something you can turn off (or silence with a coke & bourban) when you don't. And let's not forget, that one of WoW's most downloaded addons from Curse.com was actually this very thing, a quest organiser, designed to show you were to go to finish your quests in order,  so popular, that Blizz built one of their own into their game...

Y3ll0w? Most classes have either a block or a dodge skill. I just played to level 5 with what I am affectionately dubbing an ARCANE(Control) Wizard. Hold shift or double tap in any different direction to teleport a short distance away. Hold down Shift whilst running diagonally even teleports you diagonally. Holding down shift and w while jumping over a small gap actually teleports you over the small gap! (Cryptic actually did a good job on this whole teleport thing, I really digs it! - My GF says it reminds her of Azezal from XMen: FC) My point is this, if you're getting hit too much, your not using the mechanics to your advantage.

Red: No arguement. They have, the game has been simplified to enable it to be played through their engine. Hopefully, it'll become more complicated later. I love the fact that Guardians can detect traps, but only Rogues can disable them... Who knows, in a couple months, they'll make Arcance traps that only Wizards can disable when detected, or religious sigils that must be interacted with clerics to achieve something or other... But as this is a beta, who knows what we'll see?

GW3EN? I was never able to get into DDO when it launched. I got into it just after they announced the expansion Denizens of the Underdark and played it with my then flatmate. Our thoughts were, 'Wow! We have so much choice for our classes!' which soon turned into, 'Hey, I got told if I wanted my rogue to do more damage, I should've taken this feat, gotta reroll', which became 'Hey, I paid for that pack that allows you to start your adventures at level 10 instead of level 1 because I'm sick of rerolling noobs whenever I do something wrong', which led us to, 'Man, f*** this, we're in a level 20 raid/dungeon, and everyone is almost identical and zerging these bloody giant mesphits, I'm out.'

Point is, given all the unlimited options you were in DDO, people still theorycrafted the sh!t out of it. Given the paths of least effort for maximum reward, the community chose the same damn path, each and every time.

Neverwinter will probably be like that... But atleast it'll be like that, differently. I think...

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Yeah, there is nothing of a RPG in this game. It is a shallow 3D dungeon crawler unfortunately. Quite bad animations, a character system that seems to be copied from Diablo III (wow, and that one was really f... up) and lots of randomised instanced Dungeons.

And the trend is, to just play for free. Noone seems to care if the game is not good, the most important part is playing for free.  /facepalm

Hodor!

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

OP, people have different opinions and preferences. The fact that you don't care for it doesn't entitle you to attack or belittle those who do enjoy it, as you did in your first and second posts in this topic.

I read your Bio and I woud think that someone who claims to be so caring and one who works with the mentally ill to be more open-minded and supportive of iindividual differences.

• StarfiredStarfired Member UncommonPosts: 28

The only good that is going to come out of this game, is hopefully the Devs from other companies will take the idea of the Foundry and implement it into other games. Player content is the best idea ever. Make our own dungeions, monsters, weapons... if there was some way to make models in game... Man. How many people you think would pay 25$ for the game Dev's to make their user submitted drawing into a monster in game for their personal dungeon that they made?

Lots

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I thought the game was pretty cool, i stop playing because its in CB and everything going too get wipe. So im waiting for OB too launch.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Also the foundry quest will spice this game up more. I cant wait until OB
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

The foundry truly is a very good idea. And hopefully some MMORPG in future will pick that up.

But this game is just not for me. Too much boomboom, too less options.

Hodor!

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Yep... almost no customization and toooo much linear, all you do is go forward. Arent mmorpgs supposed to be opposite?
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Monstre0auS

You're obviously trolling with that comment, as the game immediately tells you after you begin playing that it can be turned of with a single press of the 'z' button. It literally has a 'Z' on screen next to this text about the size of an average mans thumbnail. So I do not understand your complaint. If you don't like a fly-by-wire glowing trail of breadcrumbs, turn it off... I remember when I played PnP WoD VtM (ACRONYMS! >,< HAXOR) there was a background called Benefactor, which meant the GM could tell you hints whenever he felt you needed one in game... I like to think of a game with glowing breadcrumbs a benefactor, giving you a hint when you really need it, but something you can turn off (or silence with a coke & bourban) when you don't. And let's not forget, that one of WoW's most downloaded addons from Curse.com was actually this very thing, a quest organiser, designed to show you were to go to finish your quests in order,  so popular, that Blizz built one of their own into their game...

First off, no, I am not trolling. I ahve been told a few times in this thread that this is a "normal" mechanic. I have never seen it before, and tbh, its a stupid mechanic that just kills the game for me.

But ok, I can turn it off. (A fact I missed be curse the game was BOMBING me with info the first two half minute, and I obviously missed that one. Here beta IS a valid excuse...)

It still leaves me having played to level 6 a all dungeons have been designed completely linear. Trash DDO all you like but they have interesting dungeon designs from start to end and you actually get to decide which to take not just a fly by wire a to b to c dungeon line up. It might change at later levels, but in that case they fail at gaining my attention in those crucial first few dungeons. It playes more like Diablo than a D&D session.

I would probably not be so hard on the game if it did not carry the D&D label. Being a D&D game actually makes me expect it to have something in common with the property which, from a game mechanics perspective, it just does not have...

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Thanks for your warning? op..but i am having loads of fun and i will be playing this for  al ong time. It is a kick ass game for  free to download and play. Tera on the other hand with its teddy bear popori and sexualised child like races running around completely ruined it for me.

Sadly many of us dont care how much the game cost or how big subscription fee it has. I am willing to pay whatever for good mmorpg, but I wont play mmorpg just because its kinda good for free to download and play game :)

I rather pay 100 euro per month for great mmorpg than pay 0 for good mmorpg.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

For the trail on the ground - You couldn't figure out that hitting Z gets rid of it even though the tutorial said to hit Z to toggle it?

Taking damage after running away sounds more like lag which I did not experience myself. 

The rest is personal opinion and everyones going to differ there so I will just leave it be. 

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70

You lost me at "unindepth", classic.

Character options were incredibly limited in the brief time I spent in game, and builds were very linear.  Yet the game isn't out, and there are more than enough classes, class builds, and races to keep them churning out content for a decade.  Something, something, still in beta.  Oh wait, you don't care.

I thought it was a clever move for them to finally release a new DnD game that will focus largely on custom content, and an even smarter move to cut loose from the dreary 3.5 ruleset which translates fairly poorly into a digital format, even if 4e is nearing the end of its cycle.  Yet despite all of this I didn't really like Neverwinter.  Yet.  I'll see what it looks like on launch day before I condemn it.

Oh, and as far as Clerics go.  Ours charges into battle on the back of a wolf with a bastard sword like a boss.  Each to their own I guess.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Just a question : Is NDA in effect ?

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

First off, no, I am not trolling. I ahve been told a few times in this thread that this is a "normal" mechanic. I have never seen it before, and tbh, its a stupid mechanic that just kills the game for me.

But ok, I can turn it off. (A fact I missed be curse the game was BOMBING me with info the first two half minute, and I obviously missed that one. Here beta IS a valid excuse...)

It still leaves me having played to level 6 a all dungeons have been designed completely linear. Trash DDO all you like but they have interesting dungeon designs from start to end and you actually get to decide which to take not just a fly by wire a to b to c dungeon line up. It might change at later levels, but in that case they fail at gaining my attention in those crucial first few dungeons. It playes more like Diablo than a D&D session.

I would probably not be so hard on the game if it did not carry the D&D label. Being a D&D game actually makes me expect it to have something in common with the property which, from a game mechanics perspective, it just does not have...

You are really judging the dungeons from what you've played up to level 6...?

Jesus, some people. Up to level 10 the game is pretty much a tutorial. The dungeons in NWO at higher level are simply awesome. The atmosphere, the settings, the feel of true dungeoneering with forking paths and secret rewards. And the most important is that players will be able to make dungeons as twisted and non-linear as they want, with numerous paths to take in which your decissions will matter and change drastically the outcome of the adventure.

I mean, I understand when some people don't have patience with a game, considering how many games are there nowadays to waste time on. But if you didn't even get past the dumb-proof tutorial that is meant for seven year old kids to also be able to play the game, how can anyone take your feeedback seriously?

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Sadly many of us dont care how much the game cost or how big subscription fee it has. I am willing to pay whatever for good mmorpg, but I wont play mmorpg just because its kinda good for free to download and play game :)

I rather pay 100 euro per month for great mmorpg than pay 0 for good mmorpg.

Considering the number of players which flock to these MMOS and there numbers compared to P2P MMOS i would disagree. And no you will never pay 100 euro for a great MMO..because no such MMO will ever exist. The gratest MMOS only exist in our head.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I am surprised that you never noticed it in MMOS like EQ, EQ2 even WOW has it.  And how can something which can easilmy be switched off ruined game for you? if it was forced upon you and you couldn't turn it off i would understand your problem.

Like someone else said. Neverwinter has lots of problems and issues but the sparkling quest trail is not one of those issues.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney