Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic/Melee/Balanced Realms?

SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
Remember when the realms of DAoC were supposed to be the magic realm (Hib), the melee realm (Mid) and the "balanced" realm (Alb)?

We all know this ended up being a neat vision that disappeared fast, but how many of you woukd like to see them take another crack at it with CU? I know I would.

Let me explain what I am NOT saying: I am not saying I want melee classes in TDD to be gimped. It woukd be nice if they made up for their disadvantages with magic, like Champs in daoc. I don't want Viking mages sucking, but if their slightly less powerful spells added more melee utility, that might be cool.

I just think that what MJ is saying about realm pride, decidedly different classes across realms, and totally different feels for each realm, this dynamic could be given another go.

Thoughts?

Comments

• LawtoweenLawtoween Member UncommonPosts: 103

I think we can expect something like that given MJ's comments thus far. 

It's also possible to balance these things just by giving them different animations and names.  You can use a catapult to throw Greek fire as a GTAE, or a spell caster can call down lightning in an area.  Game mechanics wise it is the same thing.  Now I assume you are actually saying that catapult would be gimped compared to the lightning strike, but the tank that guarded the guy that pulled the catapult into position would smack you for a lot more damage when he gets close than the wizard's tank friend.  That is a lot trickier to balance. 

MJ has said he's willing to do the extra work.  I hope he succeeds, because that will make for more interesting PvP.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Good points. Luckily, they don't have to balance for PvE, so it's realistic that they can do it (fingers crossed)