Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice Wanted: Monitor

joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Hello all,

This post was originally for other components as well. But I decided to just get a monitor.

- I play on a 24 inch 1920x1080 monitor. While not bad I have some budget (200-300 euro) for a new monitor. At least a bigger one :). Monitor wise I don't know anything really. Just want a good colorfull one for gaming (doesn't have to be super high ms or refresh because I mostly play MMO's and not competitive FPS)

I usually buy my stuff on the site below. Its in dutch but I linked the monitors section. It would be easy for me if they have it in their stock.

http://www.alternate.be/html/product/listing.html?navId=1424&tk=7&lk=2053

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

I think you're being ridiculous.  A Core i7-3770K is perhaps 10% faster than a Core i7-2600K at stock speeds.  It won't overclock as far, however, so if you overclock both as far as you can, they're nearly tied.

Are there any particular games where you're not happy with the performance?  Because if you're getting great performance in all of the games you play, then I'm not sure what you'd hope for from an upgrade.

An SSD is good if you don't already have one, or perhaps an additional monitor.  But replacing a Core i7-2600K for any reason other than needing more than four CPU cores?  That's ridiculous.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    In order to offer any meaningful advice perhaps you could enlighten us as to what frames in what games at what settings you feel isn't good enough?  Do you use a standard 60Hz  monitor because if so and all games you play are pushing above 60 FPS the first thing to do with that money to see any improvement would be to pick up a 120Hz monitor (often labeld "3D").
  • johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110
    You don't need to get anything updated,your sysyem is good enough,don't need a 120hz moniter either,just play your games without vsync unless you see a lot of tearing.
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I think you're being ridiculous.  A Core i7-3770K is perhaps 10% faster than a Core i7-2600K at stock speeds.  It won't overclock as far, however, so if you overclock both as far as you can, they're nearly tied.

Are there any particular games where you're not happy with the performance?  Because if you're getting great performance in all of the games you play, then I'm not sure what you'd hope for from an upgrade.

An SSD is good if you don't already have one, or perhaps an additional monitor.  But replacing a Core i7-2600K for any reason other than needing more than four CPU cores?  That's ridiculous.

Well for one I don't have much experience with overclocking. Every time I try it I never get one stable.

For games I play mostly world of warcraft where in busy area's I get only around 40 fps sometimes lower. I used to have that on my old 6950 AMD card. So I feel something is holding it back. I guess you are right about the CPU though, I wasn't sure anyway thats why I'm here.

Also for a monitor, I don't know if I should get 120 hz? Is it really better? Do I even need it? 

Edit: I also play more heavy games like crysis3 more recently.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by joeri123

Well for one I don't have much experience with overclocking. Every time I try it I never get one stable.

For games I play mostly world of warcraft where in busy area's I get only around 40 fps sometimes lower. I used to have that on my old 6950 AMD card. So I feel something is holding it back. I guess you are right about the CPU though, I wasn't sure anyway thats why I'm here.

Also for a monitor, I don't know if I should get 120 hz? Is it really better? Do I even need it? 

Edit: I also play more heavy games like crysis3 more recently.

You might find these two articles of interest.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5493730184?page=13

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-performance-review,3442-8.html

As for the monitor suggestion whether or not you "need it" is totally dependant upon whether you can consistantly push FPS over 60FPS and not see screen tearing without v-sync turned on.  If you can push over 60 FPS with v-sync turned off but see screen tear then a 120Hz monitor would be worth considering as it will allow you to see up to 120 FPS without facing the same issues.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I would still recommend a 120 hz refresh rate monitor even for MMOs, makes the game so much clearer.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

It's a matter of priorities, really.  Are you looking for:

1)  more inches,

2)  more pixels,

3)  higher refresh rates,

4)  truer colors, or

5)  just a second monitor that will be used in addition to the first without having to be better than it?