Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets's muster this mass respons to FUNCOM, Let's get AoC revitalized and a new starter area!! (Poll)

Comments

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    [mod edit]

Dude, why passive agressive about this. There are no deviousness about me liking AoC or even being an enthusiast of the lore and the game. I have said this so many times. I dig this game. I've played it for 4 years now, and I just pointed to a personal observation I have with regards to forum posts about AoC 2 years back. It used to be " I loved Tortage, it was so good, but after Tortage no voice acting... bla bla blahh ... and a whole lot of stuff that just seemed incorrect to an actual player. Well, some posts more than seemed not right, I have read stuff that is just technically plain wrong. That's when you know that things are getting bashed just for the troll of it." ...

Now, back to the thread. AoC is today what I would call entirely bugfree with a massiv epic amount of content. This game could in my opinion now really grow and become large... But I think Tortage stands in the way of that. It would be much more likely to get influx of old players that left the bugged AoC during it's first couple of year in business. If those players knew that they could choose something bright new, an alternative story from the beginning of AoC if they wanted to, I think they would take a second look. Just a thought... and if you agree, then please vote. Perhaps with enough votes and interest for the topic, FUNCOM would throw some more resources on AoC and us fantasy MMORPG enthusiasts again :)

The Ultimate Breakdown

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

The premise of the question is the reason that you have around 50% of people saying no.

I don't think anyone believes that a new starter area is what this game needs.  In fact, what it really needs is another couple 60-80 areas cause that's the timeframe where picking up levels can sometimes become a chore.

I wouldn't vote yet to this anyhow.  Tortage is one of the best starting area's in any game I've played.  In fact, I wish that the detail that went into tortage had continued on through the rest of the game.

Originally posted by DaSpack
    [mod edit]

Dude, why passive agressive about this. There are no deviousness about me liking AoC or even being an enthusiast of the lore and the game. I have said this so many times. I dig this game. I've played it for 4 years now, and I just pointed to a personal observation I have with regards to forum posts about AoC 2 years back. It used to be " I loved Tortage, it was so good, but after Tortage no voice acting... bla bla blahh ... and a whole lot of stuff that just seemed incorrect to an actual player. Well, some posts more than seemed not right, I have read stuff that is just technically plain wrong. That's when you know that things are getting bashed just for the troll of it." ...

[mod edit]

And in case you did not read my initial post. I think Tortage is boring as hell. The rest of the game is great! 

The Ultimate Breakdown

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Originally posted by jtcgs.

A new starting area to hide the greatness of Tortage wont change any of that, you are just looking to fool people into playing which actually makes you sound like a Funcom employee.

Fool people into playing? AoC doesn't need to fool people into playing. It's a great MMO, among the best the genre has to offer atm. The idea of a new starter area isn't to fool anyone, it would offer an alternative to those who have run through it several times. There are a lot of players who enjoy the game, want to see it prosper, improve and grow. It is not about being a Funcom employee, it's about being a fan of Conan lore, over the top combat, great music, outstanding environments, smooth motion capture animations, quality art and design. The game is not perfect, but with enough player's support it will continue to move in that direction. That is what it's all about.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by FromHell

Not really necessary, putting on one of the account wide XP boost and Tortage Survival pack for alts and you fly through the starter area. It´s still fun although I did it like four times already. Afterwards you have all choices of the world to level in 4 different large countries.. UNLIKE TESO, with their funny faction lock, as far as I know.

As you probably know you can even leave Tortage early by talking to the smuggler after finding his note in the back alley

Just had to get that TESO jab in right *rolls eyes*...

As for the topic at hand I really can't see this as a good spending point for there company atm considering the restructuring to bring players back.......

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

A new starting area is the last thing AoC needs.

It's less than 1% of the game. Tortage is great for people who haven't played it yet. For people who have played it before, it only takes a couple of hours to rush through.

Endgame content, endgame content, endgame content. The way there is just a tutorial these days.

Originally posted by Bjelar

A new starting area is the last thing AoC needs.

It's less than 1% of the game. Tortage is great for people who haven't played it yet. For people who have played it before, it only takes a couple of hours to rush through.

Endgame content, endgame content, endgame content. The way there is just a tutorial these days.

Have to disagree there. Remeber theres probably more than 3 to 4 mill people out there that at one point had or still have an AoC client on their PC. Now, if we get a brand new entrance to AoC, a brand new culture associated to a starter zone, and perhaps a new nation with some lore stuck into that zone too... I suspect that quite a few people would stick their nose back into the game.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Vote people!! 100 votes woun't get jack shit of Funcoms attention.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• MrSchnuffiMrSchnuffi Member Posts: 25

I share all your enthusiasm for AoC but I don't get your fixation on an alternate starting area. For the guys who may come back after years of absenteeism there is new stuff like Gateway to Khitai (20-40), Turan (50-60) and Khitai & Dragonspine (80) (maybe for some even Ymir's pass and Common district). For those who a new to AoC Tortage is be no means a bad playing experience. And for the rest (the loyal fanbase and long-time barbarians) it takes probabely 4 to 5h to finish Tortage.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I said yes. . but they just need a new area - it does not have to be voiced or have night / day etc.

I would also be happy to just be able to skip it.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I voted yes.. not because the current one is bad.. i did enjoy it for the first few times haha but it would be nice to have an alternative as well i guess..

Its certainly not a must have feature and i would not want them to have to put tons of dev time into it..

Probally the best option would be a skip option for anyone who has already played through it.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Compare this and tell me what´s smarter.

AoC: ONE level 1-20 landscape for all, FOUR *alternative* entire coutries to explore from 20-80

SWTOR: FOUR level 1-20 planet areas, ONE linear route through multiple planet areas from 20-50

The real demand for alternative leveling zones is supposed to comes after 20, not before.

Sure a new starter area, why not, but would it really be an incentive for new players who don´t even know Tortage Island yet?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    I'd play AoC again If they removed the button mashing to use abilities. I don't see the point on it and is annoying.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Originally posted by alakram
    I'd play AoC again If they removed the button mashing to use abilities. I don't see the point on it and is annoying.

This.

And the problem is not just tortage, its the whole instanced game with loading screens everywhere, the combat as said above, and funcom`s ignorance on how to make a real mmorpg not single player games with online capabilities like AOC, the secret world etc etc

Originally posted by Pocahinha

And the problem is not just tortage, its the whole instanced game with loading screens everywhere,

Cool, please list the MMOs without loading screens, I´ll play them all right away...

so, entering a new giant landmass and a five second loading screen is a problem? yeah right.

What you demand is not even technically feasible with current graphics, but if you want you can wait for a 64 Bit client MMO with minimum specs of 16 GB RAM, maybe in 2015

The Return of ELITE !

Shameless bump on this one. I think new starter areas could really make a difference for the game. Something new and fresh would make a difference. Btw read an interview of Joel Bylos today. They are preparing second batch of the dragon spine content now... Someone found good response in the market with this update :D. Good to know as that will mean more AoC stuff in the future.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Good to know as that will mean more AoC stuff in the future.

I´d like to have flying mounts :D ah well, better not...

The Return of ELITE !

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    FC is hanging on for dear life, financially speaking. Right now, they are not going to spend 10 cents on anything they don't have to. So, not going to happen.
  • SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Good to know as that will mean more AoC stuff in the future.

I´d like to have flying mounts :D ah well, better not...

Pretty damn close with those new leaping lizards they briefly had in the cash shop. They need to bring them back. 

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• eckardteckardt Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

I 100% agree with those that say that tortage is great. It' not only one of the best areas in the game, I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best starter areas in MMOs today. But also agree that alternatives are needed, bit problem with tortage is that it's only one.

It's great for your first character... for your second... but when you're playing it for the 5th or 6th time you end up trying to get out of it already. It's one of my pet peeves with MMOs these days when there's only one linear path of progression (you're X level, go here, until you reach Y level, now go there and so on), and personally it's one big thing that games like GW2 and WoW got right, a different starter area for the different races, so that playing an alt doesn't feel like doing it all over again, and different leveling areas available for each level range.

agree 100%

Originally posted by Burntvet
    FC is hanging on for dear life, financially speaking. Right now, they are not going to spend 10 cents on anything they don't have to. So, not going to happen.

Hmmm, maybe they are struggeling, but that only means they will use money on the projects that will give them the highest returns. I believe a new small starter area can make a huge difference in reselling the entire rest of the game.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by eckardt
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

I 100% agree with those that say that tortage is great. It' not only one of the best areas in the game, I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best starter areas in MMOs today. But also agree that alternatives are needed, bit problem with tortage is that it's only one.

It's great for your first character... for your second... but when you're playing it for the 5th or 6th time you end up trying to get out of it already. It's one of my pet peeves with MMOs these days when there's only one linear path of progression (you're X level, go here, until you reach Y level, now go there and so on), and personally it's one big thing that games like GW2 and WoW got right, a different starter area for the different races, so that playing an alt doesn't feel like doing it all over again, and different leveling areas available for each level range.

agree 100%

AoC are set up with different areas for different levels. My only complaint is that Tortage is not THAT good. Please FUNCOM lets get in a few new starter zones so that you can resell the rest of the game. AoC is fantastic the way it stands now. Only complaint for me is that I want to see different starter experiences.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by Burntvet

Hmmm, maybe they are struggeling, but that only means they will use money on the projects that will give them the highest returns. I believe a new small starter area can make a huge difference in reselling the entire rest of the game.

as much as I would like that (who woulnd´t like it) I think it costs a butt load of money to create a 1-20 starter zone which lives up to the quality of Tortage also how is that supposed to tie in with the personal Destiny quests from 1-80, the whole Mark of Acheron pre-story?

the only thing I could imagine is adding some landmass to Tortage with new quests, maybe a whole new underground pirate cave complex, maybe starting from the Volcano leading into some bizarre underground complex...

Or they create a new lvl 1-80 destiny class quest and make an entirely 1-20 zone plus quests, but again that sounds like a ton of work.

Look at how long Bioware takes for creating a single 5 level planet

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    [mod edit]

AoC is the best MMO out there in my opinion. Have you played it?

The Ultimate Breakdown

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Personally I am getting tired of all the "Lets get 'X'developer to change their game" posts.

Don't like it, don't play.

Ironicly, this will actually be the fastest way to get a game changed. Not this whiney "i want it my way" attitude.