Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for SWTOR fans

Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

Link so people know what i'm talking about:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/27/ea-is-building-micro-transactions-into-its-pc-and-console-games/

Hey folks. Just wanted to run something by any SWTOR fans out there. I'm a SWTOR fan myself, been playing almost non stop since headstart. I love the game.

That being said, I have never been a fan of any kind of online stores. Only my love for this game made me turn a blind eye to the Cartel Shop. With EA putting micro-transactions in Dead Space 3, and saying that all it's future games will have micro-transactions, what are you opinions on this?

My pesonal opinion. I hate it. Having them in MMO's in one thing since it's a game you might be playing for a few years. But putting mincro transactions in a game you migth get 60-100 hours out of, I just don''t understand. It screams greed. While you might say a company needs to make money, of course I agree with that, but there is one thing between making a good game sucessful becuase it's a good game, and making mediocre stuff and putting microtransactions into them. It has really put EA in a bad light for me. Almost to the point it has me thinking about quitting SWTOR just because I dont' want to support them and the impact this might have on all future pc games.

Again this is a question for SWTOR fans, not for people that hate EA already. Has their decision to put micro-transactions in all their console and PC games changed your opinion about EA as a whole? Has/will it affect you playing SWTOR?

Also, Ignore the trolls if they come.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Not for, or against it.  I have no problem buying DLC or other items.  If I don't want it I just won't buy it.  I own Deadspace 3 and have enjoyed it since it was released.  I have no plans to buy any of the additional stuff for it though. Developers producing DLC doesn't bother me in the least.

To me DLC is no different then how EQ was. Way back before EQ came out.  Can't remember which game magazine it was.  They had an indepth article on EQ.  In the article they talked about the 5 continents that would be in release.  Two of them did not make it into launch. For 20 points can you guess which two? If you said Kurnak and Velious give yourself 20 points. Which of course were later sold as the first two expansions of Everquest.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't hav issues about cash shops in mmos if they're f2p. I don't mind DLC for stand alone games if it's developed after a stand alone game is launched. ( a while after )

I refuse to buy DLC from companies that put it in at the same time a game launches like the mech for BL2. a week after it launches they want $20 for a new class ?  f.....off. Why wasn't that in at launch ?

So basicly if it's just a cash grab they can screw off.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

DLC's don't bother me. It's selling like extra weapons, vehicles, etc. Stuff that would actually be "cooler" to have in game.

I'm also looking for reasons to just let it slide. Maybe its just my inital reaction to it all.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Dosnt really bother me as long as those micro trans arnt req. If i can get it in game i will and not pay for it. But one thing i dont like is when a company realeases a game and before its even out are making a DLC that will launch after the games comes out. 
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Elevenb4

Link so people know what i'm talking about:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/27/ea-is-building-micro-transactions-into-its-pc-and-console-games/

Hey folks. Just wanted to run something by any SWTOR fans out there. I'm a SWTOR fan myself, been playing almost non stop since headstart. I love the game.

That being said, I have never been a fan of any kind of online stores. Only my love for this game made me turn a blind eye to the Cartel Shop. With EA putting micro-transactions in Dead Space 3, and saying that all it's future games will have micro-transactions, what are you opinions on this?

My pesonal opinion. I hate it. Having them in MMO's in one thing since it's a game you might be playing for a few years. But putting mincro transactions in a game you migth get 60-100 hours out of, I just don''t understand. It screams greed. While you might say a company needs to make money, of course I agree with that, but there is one thing between making a good game sucessful becuase it's a good game, and making mediocre stuff and putting microtransactions into them. It has really put EA in a bad light for me. Almost to the point it has me thinking about quitting SWTOR just because I dont' want to support them and the impact this might have on all future pc games.

Again this is a question for SWTOR fans, not for people that hate EA already. Has their decision to put micro-transactions in all their console and PC games changed your opinion about EA as a whole? Has/will it affect you playing SWTOR?

Also, Ignore the trolls if they come.

I quit buying single player games right when they come out years ago.  Can usually within 6-8 months get the game with all DLC's for between half price and the old 49.99 price point.  Hell can even get the collector's editions for some games with all DLCs for that price :)  If there was truly a game that I thought was groundbreaking I might jump in earlier or if there is a great steam sale.

I know it will probably work out well for them but meh, the hobby isn't what it was, its been inundated with the mouth breathers and inbreeders so as more and more companies go this way I will find other hobbies to spend my money and time with.  My CJ could use some TLC :)

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    The economy is bad. The number of buying and paying customers is down. All industries now have to milk whatever customers they have left for more money. Do I like the feel a cash shop brings to a game? No. Do I hope to make money some day? Yes.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

It's honestly nothing new, EA's been doing this for a while - The Sims 3 being one of the examples that readily comes to mind.

And even before that they were doing it, they just called them content packs or what not and sold them to you in boxes instead of through an online store.

On topic: It doesn't change anything for me, they just shifted their focus to a new (more accessible) distribution system.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

All MMOs with F2P are guilty of MT, even Perfect World put new ships on the store to buy. but EA do seem to abuse it more, and even make subbers have to pay for stuff too. Since it going F2P they just seem to put items on the store, and not give something away for being subbed any more, like they did with Tauntaun pet, and for being on a destination server before a certain date.

STO got a winter event at christmas, where you could play daily and get a ship from playing the game, but for SWTOR they just put Life Day items on the Cartel Market. For STOs 3rd anniversary they put out a couple of quests, one was from Q that got a few random rewards, and a mission that involved Tasha Yar and Denise Crosby even came in to do the voice for the character, and you were rewarded with a ship

It is not a major problem, just buy stuff that is worthwihile and ignore the fluff. The only problem is EA do seem to be using the Cartel Market more so and creating less gameplay content.  If people ignore the fluff which EA seems to sell more of, then hopefully they will see sense and put more effort into it what they sell.

Also they do seem to be selling stuff that you can get by just playing the game, which is in effect cheating, and cheapens the gameplay experience. I will never buy this stuff.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

From the article:

CFO Blake Jorgensen says that EA is building "the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level or to buy a new character" into all of its games and that "consumers are embracing and enjoying that way of business."

I wonder if they are really enjoying paying more money for stuff that should be given as part of the game.  Expansions excluded, which are an eventual necessity to maintain interest.

So SimCity will cost $60 to buy, yet another couple hundred dollars to have all the artwork variety and bigger maps .. embrace it, embrace it!

But even that is just for single player games.  MMO's are even more lucritive, especially if EA can get $160-$180 a year for a subscription + another $100-$200 in microtransactions.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I see this change as inevitable.  As long as I am not forced to buy anything and it does not become P2W, I really don't care.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by grimal
    I see this change as inevitable.  As long as I am not forced to buy anything and it does not become P2W, I really don't care.

This. I'm not a fan of cash shops as I feel it only feeds into the instant gratification crowd who would rather just swipe a card than deal with actually getting it from playing the game. Long as it isn't pay to win I'm cool with it though. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I personally like cash shops, but what I dont like, is boosts and useless junk. Give me something I actally need.
  • Kinh021Kinh021 Member UncommonPosts: 30

I generally do not see a problem with cash shops but the swtor store is a bit abusive. I was disappointed with swtor because i bought the game at launch and stayed for 6 months as subs and when turned free to play I did not win anything significant by buying the game. However I still think a cool game and I walk casually for fun.

Is my opinion. ~~

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    I dont see any problem with this regarding SWTOR, Cartel Shop actually turned out just fine inspite of my concerns and it's a good addition to the game because there are plenty of excellent cosmetic items in it, the fact that nothing in the shop is P2W and that you aren't being forced to buy absolutely anything in order to have a good in game experience should also be mentioned.
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by grimal

This. I'm not a fan of cash shops as I feel it only feeds into the instant gratification crowd who would rather just swipe a card than deal with actually getting it from playing the game. Long as it isn't pay to win I'm cool with it though. 

I will echo the thought. I do not really care much about cash shops but p2w especially in pvp really bothers me. The cartel market has been fine so far.